Author Topic: Dimma's bright lights - the emerging types (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3656 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's bright lights - the emerging types (Herald-Sun)
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:32:18 PM »
I've scanned the article in of Hardwick today talking about individual young players and other things ....

DIMMA'S BRIGHT LIGHTS - THE EMERGING TYPES
Sunday Herald-Sun
04 Dec 2011, Page 49

TRENT COTCHIN and DUSTIN MARTIN
You know you've got some good players in your side when you find yourself as a coach watching them. I used to do it when I was playing with good players. They're wonderful players and you'd like to think as a coach that you've got some sort of say in how they play, but you're kidding yourself if you do. The measure of you as a coach is not how good your stars are but finding out if players can get better at the lower end of the scale.

THE RICHMOND LIST
Over the last three years we've brought in a real core of players that we think can drive this club. We just need to get those guys playing together for a sustained period and that's when you start to formulate a plan for success.

JACK RIEWOLDT
He kicked less goals but he had by far more goal assists. He didn't have the same breakout games as the year before but on a more consistent basis he was kicking his threes and fours, which is exactly what we're after. He's more than capable of playing up the ground Jack, and we don't want to lock him into being a one position player.

THE PRESS
It will all be tinkered. The great thing about coaching, and that's one of the things we are doing over here, is looking for the next big thing. We've got meetings with NFL coaches, soccer coaches and hockey coaches. And that's the art of coaching, you want to get to the next step before the other guys do and steal the march, whether it's from a strength and conditioning point of view or football.

CARLTON
Round 1 is always a special game, there's no doubt about that and it's the game that is forefront in my mind. In Round 1 last year we were competitive but then they gave us an almighty hiding later in the year. Carlton will be a top-four side and we're looking to knock off one of those sides. It's the challenge that we're after.

JOHN McCARTHY
We've committed to John at this stage but what we're not quite sure what Port Adelaide are doing. He's a guy that can give us great flexibility, he can play forward, midfield and a little bit down back. He probably just didn't get the opportunities at Collingwood because of their depth. He can play the game.

MATT DEA
This will be his third year and he's looked outstanding in the pre-season. He's a guy that injury free we expect to play 22 games. I'd be disappointed if he didn't play every game.

JAYDN POST
I'm really hoping he becomes our Alex Rance of next year. We asked him to invest in himself and he went and got a running coach and weights coach outside the club. He'll kill me for saying this, but he's got a boyish body but now we're starting to see it chisel out, which is great. He's been very good over the course of the pre-season.

REECE CONCA
I see him as a player that is similar to Marc Murphy. He's got the same sort of patterns of running as Marc and uses the ball really well.

BRAD HELBIG
I'm a bit of a Helbig fan with the way he plays. He's aggressive and has put on some really good size.

JAKE BATCHELOR
He's a 19-year-old with the maturity of a 35-year-old. He just plays the game and is really, really smart. A lot of people were shocked that we took him where we did (pick 30 last year) but we were very happy.

SHANE EDWARDS
We threw Shane forward last year and were pleased with the pressure he applied, but also he's got an uncanny ability to generate shots on goals, and there's not many guys who can do that.

Jackstar is back again

Re: Dimma's bright lights - the emerging types (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »
 ::)

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
Good to see Posty mentioned. I've been saying for a while he's the Rance of 2012. After 3 seasons he's played about 20 games, which is about the same as what Rance played 12 months earlier from 3 seasons. Both players were unlucky not to get more games in their 3rd seasons also

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 06:49:37 PM »
 I liked the way Dimma qualified his support of Lids being moved into the midfield in the article. With that in mind, he appears overly positive and effusive of a couple of fringe players in the above article. I also like Edwards clever play but he ruins his games with turnover by foot and at times poor decision making. It's make or break next year in his 6th year in the system
 Matt Dea is a million miles away from it with what I have seen. Show confidence in him but he'd have to make incredible improvements to play 10 games let alone 22.

He wasn't afraid to tip a bucket on Dusty last year when he showed up over weight.
He should also point out where Dea and especially Edwards need to dramatically improve to make strides forward in 2012.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
Edwards badly shanked about a dozen kicks in 2011 including the nab cup. He hardly shanked kicks like this in his previous seasons though. Was he trying a different kicking action in 2011?

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »
Edwards badly shanked about a dozen kicks in 2011 including the nab cup. He hardly shanked kicks like this in his previous seasons though. Was he trying a different kicking action in 2011?

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »

ive heard it all now

do you actually go to games. I do and Edwards has been shanking kicks his whole career not to mention shanking every other thing he gets his hands on.

Dimma will learn pretty soon that Edwards, Connors, White, Dea are all VFL players at best.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »

ive heard it all now

do you actually go to games. I do and Edwards has been shanking kicks his whole career not to mention shanking every other thing he gets his hands on.

Dimma will learn pretty soon that Edwards, Connors, White, Dea are all VFL players at best.

I go every week and he shanked the ball more last season than the previous seasons combined. I'm talking about kicks that roll on the ground. Did it several times in the nab games. His kicking was alot worse in 2011

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »
stuffing Edwards must have a photo of Dima with a goat...... :banghead

He is not going anywhere is he... He will be at the club forever..... :scream

Oh well I will have to get used to it ....better front up next year Edwards... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »
Edwards does create a lot of goal opportunities mostly by hand. Good link man.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »
Not if it results in turnovers, or dislocation of the forwards rotational leads.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
I agree with Gandalf
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
I agree with Gandalf

I reckon you have got a lot to learn, mate. Respect is something you earn.

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »

ive heard it all now

I go every week and he shanked the ball more last season than the previous seasons combined. I'm talking about kicks that roll on the ground. Did it several times in the nab games. His kicking was alot worse in 2011

fair enough, the kicks that dribble along the ground as opposed to the ones that hit an opponent 10 metres away, the ones that go over teammates heads from 20 away and of course the dreaded blocks and pushes to the left and right of teammates