Author Topic: Trent Cotchin says hip surgery 'just wear and tear' (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1366 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Trent Cotchin says hip surgery 'just wear and tear' (Herald-Sun)
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »
Trent Cotchin says hip surgery 'just wear and tear'

by: Michael Warner in Arizona
    December 05, 2011

MINOR hip surgery has interrupted Richmond star Trent Cotchin's pre-season.

The best-and-fairest winner had a clean out on his left side after last season but will resume full training when the team returns to Melbourne.

Cotchin is among a group of about 20 Tigers, including Jack Riewoldt, on restricted duties during a nine-day Arizona training camp.

The group are doing all the skills and fitness work, but not tackling and match simulation.

Cotchin said his injury was "just wear-and-tear".

"It wasn't really troubling me, but we just thought we'd get it done earlier rather than later and not let it become a problem next year," he said.

"I had my right done two years ago, so I knew what the process was and wasn't really fazed.

"I'm about a week away from main training.

"I'll get back into the swing of things ... probably as soon as we get back."

Cotchin, 21, was named the club's vice-captain when the team arrived in the US.

It was the promotion that confirmed what the football world already knew - that Cotchin is captain Chris Newman's successor.

"Obviously I'm thrilled to get the opportunity," he said.

"To be second to Chris and to support him is something that I've aimed for and will continue to work on."

Richmond's travelling party moved from Tuscon to Phoenix yesterday as part of an intensive fitness program Cotchin said mirrored the club's rising professionalism.

"To see how far our pre-seasons have come - from Anglesea, to New Zealand last year and now Arizona - has been fantastic and just shows where the club is heading," he said.

"From the football program through to the administration it just feels like everything is headed in the right direction.

"The talent we have is starting to show, and hopefully with the hard work we are putting in we can start to win more games.

"We've come a long way over the last couple of years and Dimma (coach Damien Hardwick) has already set the standard early in this pre-season that if you're not a competitor you won't be getting a game, so you're going to have to fight for your jumper and your opportunity.

"There's no more giving games to younger guys - it's time to put our best team forward and whoever is competing the best will be the ones who'll play."

Cotchin said the depth of the Tiger list was growing.

"Over the last few years we've probably had a reasonable first team, but there hasn't been a great deal of pressure coming from the ranks below," he said.

"But I think we are all at a point now where we are all developing together and coming through at the same time."

"So all our training is competitive, we're always fighting for different positions, whether it's in training or game day, and that's only creating a great amount of enthusiasm.

"I've only been here for four years, but we've made some big steps."

Asked about playing in a midfield boasting Dustin Martin, Brett Deledio and Nathan Foley, Cotchin said: "We are that excited for next year, especially bringing in big (ruckman) Ivan (Maric).

"Hopefully he can add a bit to our ruck stocks."

Today the Tigers will attend an Arizona-Dallas NFL match.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trent-cotchin-says-hip-surgery-just-wear-and-tear/story-e6frf9jf-1226213624766

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Trent Cotchin says hip surgery 'just wear and tear' (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
Isn't this old news about Cotch?  :huh

I guess someone needs to justify their overseas junket reporting  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:41:48 AM »

Very old

But I hear it's tough junket ...errrr.... reporting job to be on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »

Yes but the real news is the NFL game we are attending. The rest is filler  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
Cotchin set to dive in
richmondfc.com.au
Tue 06 Dec, 2011

Reigning Jack Dyer Medallist, Trent Cotchin, is raring to go following minor hip surgery during the off-season.

“It’s coming along well . . . I’m about a week away from main training,” Cotchin told Channel Seven News United States correspondent (and passionate Tiger fan) Mike Amor on Richmond’s pre-season camp in Arizona.

“My rehab’s been a real steady progression this year and I’m feeling just as fit as this time last year, so I’m just looking forward to getting back into the main group.”

The 21-year-old Tiger star, hadn’t been unduly troubled by the hip during his fine 2011 season, but opted for surgery before it became an issue.

“It was a case of just making sure my body was in check, rather than leaving it until it got more painful.  I got it done early and, hopefully, that’s the last operation I have to have done for my career,” he said.

Full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/126883/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond