Author Topic: Rookie pick #60: Gibson Turner  (Read 15310 times)

dwaino

Re: Rookie pick #60: Gibson Turner
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
I would like to commend the RFC for giving Troy Taylor another chance at AFL football  :shh

Is this supposed to be funny?

:help

Probably a nice bloke but I've seen my fair share of documentaries, news stories, failed sports persons and kids transferred to my primary schools from out of there and am pretty pessimistic about any body from the area. I don't care if I have to eat my hat and admit being wrong, but I'm betting this one will just be another statistic.

Not trolling or being a jerk either. I generally think I'm more of a Bojangles than a Jackstar.

gerkin greg

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 05:56:07 PM »
Nickname must be Beyond Thunderdome  :thumbsup (for those born before 1977)

Not bad but I can't get Debbie Gibson out of my head.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »
I like the way they selected Maric as a small fwd (a talented player who in the past thought he was all that it has to be said) and then select another small fwd so they'll be competing against each other as well as King and Nahas who are best 22 at this stage.

List management structures coming along well under Dimma

well said.

Coburg for the flag 8)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
Love to see this guy turn out, we really haven't had a genuine small goal sneak since Naish IMO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 06:50:45 PM »
Love to see this guy turn out, we really haven't had a genuine small goal sneak since Naish IMO.

would love this kid come good.

Rodan. Krakouer. Collard. Troytossertaylor etc. Can GGF

gturner the black gablett.  :rollin

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »

would love this kid come good.

Rodan. Krakouer. Collard. Troytossertaylor etc. Can GGF

gturner the black gablett.  :rollin

So like I said we haven't had a genuine goal sneak since Naish, one that worked out anyway. Krak was about as good as we have had and he was average to say the least.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
I would like to commend the RFC for giving Troy Taylor another chance at AFL football  :shh

Probably a nice bloke but I've seen my fair share of documentaries, news stories, failed sports persons and kids transferred to my primary schools from out of there and am pretty pessimistic about any body from the area. I don't care if I have to eat my hat and admit being wrong, but I'm betting this one will just be another statistic.

Not trolling or being a jerk either. I generally think I'm more of a Bojangles than a Jackstar.

Except for the fact that he's spent the last 2 years at a boarding school in Adelaide.  He'd be used to non-NT life by now.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »
A bit of insight into the kid in this article;

Territorian Turner making all the right moves

Gibson Turner is renowned for his moves on the football field but it was a move made two years ago that the lightning fast indigenous talent describes as the best of his career.
"I used to get into trouble with the police a bit so I moved in with my grandmother to stay out of trouble," he said.
"She's made me a better person and I owe her a lot because I wasn't going to school there for a while and if it wasn't for her I might have even been in jail instead of at this draft camp.
"I look back on it now as a really smart move."
While residing at Saint Teresa, an aboriginal community 140km east of Alice Springs, Turner began to turn his life around and by sheer chance got the break he was hoping for when a former scholar of Adelaide's prestigious Sacred Heart College offered his services tutoring students at Saint Teresa.
He tested Turner, along with three other students, who gained entry level requirements to attend Sacred Heart.
While apprehensive about making the move from a town­ship of 300 to a city of one million, the opportunity was one Turner says has developed all facets of his life.
"It was difficult last year being my first away from home but although I was playing for Norwood I didn't play much for them because there was so much school footy to play," he said.
"But this year I just got used to it and it's been a whole lot better. I only get homesick once in while.
"I've grown up and matured a fair bit I reckon, both mentally and physically."
Despite not testing at the October draft camp because of an ankle injury, the buzz is high on the livewire forward.
The 18-year-old averaged two goals a game for Northern Territory at the national championships and is considered one of the draft's best small forwards.
The one-time wayward teen­ager is now very much right on track.
"When I go home the kids there now think I'm the big role model," he said.
"They all want to be like me which is pretty good. If some of them can follow me it would be great."
A West Coast fan who rates Aaron Davey as his favourite player, Turner says he is ready to go anywhere to pursue his AFL dream.
Having been away from home for the past two seasons, he is undaunted by the likelihood of moving interstate.
"I'm ready for it," he said.

http://www.insidefootballonline.com/news2.html
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »

Except for the fact that he's spent the last 2 years at a boarding school in Adelaide.  He'd be used to non-NT life by now.

Fingers crossed anyway. Let's see what happens when he's away from the regimented boarding school lifestyle. The article that Al posted is at least a little promising, though him describing his past was exactly what I was alluding to. I'm still going to stand by my comment, yet more than happy to eat my own hat, even yours if you like, if he's not just another statistic.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »
Give the kid a chance, everyone is their own person and shouldn't be prejudged on where they came from or ...anything else for that matter, just on their actions.
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 09:15:37 PM »
SHC  :thumbsup

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 11:36:25 PM »
boy do i like the look of gibbo, has hands like a steel trap, moves like a gazelle and has a laser like foot...needs to put some weight on but whoa this kid has talent to burn, what a smokey :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

10 FLAGS

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »
boy do i like the look of gibbo, has hands like a steel trap, moves like a gazelle and has a laser like foot...needs to put some weight on but whoa this kid has talent to burn, what a smokey :shh

You're disappointing me now BJ....just a smokey lol...this kid could be a prodigy or at the very least a phenomenon  ;D

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 06:40:03 AM »
Good to decision to draft. Hopefully he will become the x factor in our forward line

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 06:55:15 AM »
Could be our the X factor out of this draft

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)