Author Topic: How did we all rate Richmond's recruiting over this trade/draft period?  (Read 8394 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How did we all rate Richmond's recruiting over the 2011 trade/draft period?

Trades

Ivan Maric (ruckman)                          18/04/1990        200cm   102kg        Adelaide

Steven Morris (small defender)            31/12/1988       185cm     84kg         West Adelaide

National Draft

15. Brandon Ellis  (defender)                03/08/1993      181cm     83kg          Calder Cannons/West Coburg

26. Todd Elton     (ruckman/forward)   29/04/1993      197cm     92kg          Dandenong Stingrays/Somerville

55. Matthew Arnot  (midfielder)            21/10/1993      180cm     87kg          Oakleigh Chargers/Vermont

Preseason and Rookie Drafts

PSD: Brett O'Hanlon (medium forward) 17/07/1993       189cm   87kg            Dandenong Stingrays

R7. Addam Maric (small forward)          19/04/1990       178cm    77kg           Melbourne

R25. Ben Darrou (tall forward)              25/11/1993       190cm    93kg           Sandringham Dragons

R43. Steven Verrier (medium defender) 24/06/1993       188cm    83kg          South Fremantle

R60. Gibson Turner (small forward)       22/07/1993        180cm    70kg         NT Thunder

R74. Piva Wright (tall midfielder)            28/06/1993       191 cm    94kg         Dandenong Stingrays

R90. John Heslin (utility)                       27/06/1992        187cm    88kg          Ireland

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: How did we all rate Richmond's recruiting over this trade/draft period?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »
On paper we've done well

Now it's time to sit back and see how they all go

Only real disappointment for me is the fact that yet again we have not gone with a full rookie list

Apart from Mini Maric there is some size about those rookies (Darrou & Wright) which is extremely pleasing
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:32:51 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

10 FLAGS

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »
I gave it a 7/10. I think year we have done well and we should get some very decent players out of this group.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »
What the recruiter said:

"We looked at the history of rookie drafts, and looked at the players that had done best coming off rookie lists. We found that small forwards, negating defenders and ruckmen had been most successful. That impacted on some of our decisions when it came to highlighting players. We also went in with a view to getting a range of different players who can play in a range of different positions." Richmond recruiting manager Francis Jackson.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/127102/default.aspx

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
On what was available at the time of our selection I would have given a 10 but I gave it a 8 based on us missing out on our first choices on two occasions.

All our draftees are bigger bodies who can kick well which is promising. In order to break the crippling zones that some of the better teams put on, we need kids with above average foot skills
and it looks like Dimma & FJ have delivered.   :thumbsup :clapping

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
Stuffed if I know.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
On what was available at the time of our selection I would have given a 10 but I gave it a 8 based on us missing out on our first choices on two occasions.

All our draftees are bigger bodies who can kick well which is promising. In order to break the crippling zones that some of the better teams put on, we need kids with above average foot skills
I'd like to know which players we wanted that were snapped up before we got a chance. McCarthy the obvious one from today but from the ND. I know they were thinking of Elton at pick 15 so to get him at 26 was fantastic. They must have wanted other players at #15 and #55 ??

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
Never heard of any of them until just about now !!!!!!!!

A bit of height added if that counts  :santa

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »

I'd like to know which players we wanted that were snapped up before we got a chance. McCarthy the obvious one from today but from the ND. I know they were thinking of Elton at pick 15 so to get him at 26 was fantastic. They must have wanted other players at #15 and #55 ??
JVT I bet we were after Adams or Docherty for 15 and Mckenzie also went before 26 but Elton slipping to 26 was also a surprise.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »

JVT I bet we were after Adams or Docherty for 15 and Mckenzie also went before 26 but Elton slipping to 26 was also a surprise.
Adams and Docherty would probably be right, they were never gonna slip through though. Either way, Ellis is going to be a ripper so lets just sit back and enjoy  :cheers

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
The club has gone from the puny skinny flankers that some on here love to the bigger bodies that we have been craving for many years. Its clear that club has had enough of getting pushed around

Love the fact Hardwick has also gone for a lot of left footers so that rounds off a very good 7 for me.

anything higher is fantasy talk until we see if the proof is in the pudding.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
I Like what "types" we have targeted the last few draft periods,  sometimes you can see clubs have a very clear picture with what they want out of the draft, in the past i never felt we had a long term plan and structure in place, its pretty obvious we do now. One of the positives of bringing Dimma in who lived the hawthorn model.

Now lets see what our development is like

Ox

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »
NFI ! !

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
One hundred and eighty!
Feel the power people, feel the power

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Bfooty phantom draft. Turner, Ohanlon, Verrier, Darrou.

All went first round. Read into that what you like. It's not a bad sign.