Author Topic: Nick Riewoldt/Eddie McGuire  (Read 6430 times)

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Nick Riewoldt/Eddie McGuire
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:26:49 AM »
I felt very sorry to see Nick Riewoldt so upset after his shoulder injury and my heart went out to him.  Always sad to see a champion down.  I didn't agree with Mal Michael and Chris Scott roughing him up just after injuring his shoulder.  I don't believe that they didn't know he was injured.  Not sportmen like behaviour.

However, Eddie McGuire just made my blood boil.  Apart from his commentating which is irritating at best, his bid to make the Riewoldt injury a lot worse was just sickening.  I don't know how many times he asked Doc Larkins how long he'd (Riewoldt) be out and trying to sensationalise the story even more so.  And then, and please correct me if I did happen to hear this wrong, he made disparaging remarks about the Mater Hospital that Riewoldt was going to in Brisbane for x-rays.  The Mater Hospital has a great reputation, especially in regards to children and women (not sure about footballers).  Where does this guy get off?  And yet again we hear all about the tv rights and Eddie smugly saying that the AFL will make it a one year contract etc etc

Commiserations to Nick Riewoldt and a speedy recovery.  Damnation to Eddie McGuire.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Nick Riewoldt/Eddie McGuire
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 02:49:42 AM »
Not coming from Brisbane Eddie didn't know of the hospital and I think he thought Doc Larkins said Martyr instead of Mater.

Yeah Julz the interview came across as Eddie trying to get Larkins to say it was possibly a season-threatening injury so he could get a big scoop. And what was with Eddie's "what a great report" line  ??? - the bloke had just busted his collarbone and done his AC   ::).

The match itself after half time was brutal and a great game to start off the year. When the Saints got that run the Lions just switched on the physical power and stopped them in their tracks. Makes you realise again that we've got a long way to go to get to the intimidating level that Brisbane and Port have.

Saints have got a few worries after tonight apart from Riewoldt. They don't look like they'll have a forward line for the next few weeks (we play them in round 5) with Hamill having to go for smacking Scott in the chops and Gehrig's back injury. Their backline looks wobbly and they have a number of  players who won't put their body on the line - Goddard and Fiora two that stand out. Fiora wasn't bad last night and was pretty good in the 3rd qtr with his runs forward but he pulled out of head-on contests a few times and let the Lions player win the ball. He'll be adequate for the Saints but I doubt he'll show much more than that. He's not going to be someone we'll regret letting go. Bonus is we got Simmonds.

Michael slamming into Riewoldt's injured shoulder was poor. Not sure for sure if the now toothless Scott knew as Riewoldt was between him and his mate Hamill when he was bumping into every Saint in his path. If someone comes into the game carrying an injury then they're fair game as once you cross the line you're saying you're 100%. But to target an injured opponent when he looks like he's done something fairly serious is a pretty cowardly act.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 03:01:55 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 03:52:31 AM »
I'm all for toughness in a game of footy, In fact I think the game these days is a little to sanitized, but what I saw of Micheal and Scott tonight is just not football, going in to belt a guy like that when they know he IS injured is just really bad for the image of the game. I hope they both get suspended.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:21:06 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up MT - I can see where it could have be misinterpreted.

I agree - I'm all for toughness and the game has been sanitised, but what Mal Michael did, and Chris Scott to a lesser extent, wasn't good.  It brought back memories of hearing that Matthew Lloyd was deliberately going to target Richo after he came back from having a broken arm.

Going back to Eddie - the other thing that struck me was how much he waffled on at the end of the game and not just about the Riewoldt injury.  It was as if he was trying to milk every second for his own publicity, whereas the rest of us were just wishing he would say goodnight so we could all tune into the NRL Footy Show (Dare Devil Dudes is hysterical).  The sooner he's gone the better footy will be.

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 10:47:38 AM »
Eddie couldn't resist having a dig at McGough - called him too slow when he got caught in possession and said he caused a turnover when his kick into the forward line wasn't marked - both unfair calls.

I thought Goddard was very good - didn't notice him pulling out and some of his pick-ups in traffic were very skillful. I'd take him tomorrow and I get the impression he's not that rated by the coach - just a feeling from how often he's benched.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 02:36:48 PM by MJS »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 01:21:55 PM »
However, Eddie McGuire ....  And yet again we hear all about the tv rights and Eddie smugly saying that the AFL will make it a one year contract etc etc

I only saw about 10 minutes of the game - didn't interest me that much I did hear Tony Jones going on about how a trainer had 2 of Scotts teeth - gripping TV that. And the part of the game that MJS mentioned where McGough was tackled and the Eddie said he "was too slow" - yawn :sleep :sleep

Onto to the TV rights  -Last night while I was out driving down to Red Rooster to get the family raost  ;D TripleM had Andy D on. Brayshaw, Newman and Taylor were asking Andy D about the TV rights and he suggested the AFL could if they wanted too make the next contract for 1 year only and then open them up for bidding again because the "first and lasts rights options" is for this next agreement only. Andy D also pointed out that the AFL have 2 years to finalise them. Spuds contribution to this discussion came at the end when he said "Nice straight bat there by Andrew Demetriou about the TV rights" - at the end of the interview Messrs Brayshaw, Newman and Taylor seemed rather relieved

But Pluuzzee give me a break. A one year TV rights deal? What is going on between the AFL & Ch 9? It smells fishy ...  dare I think it let alone say it collusion anyone ;D

« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:24:04 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 01:49:41 PM »
I'm all for toughness in a game of footy, In fact I think the game these days is a little to sanitized, but what I saw of Micheal and Scott tonight is just not football, going in to belt a guy like that when they know he IS injured is just really bad for the image of the game. I hope they both get suspended.

Did I feel sympathy toward Rieoldt as he cried in pain and dismay ?

Of course...somewhat.

Did i approve of Michaels and Scotts treatment of the injured kid ?

stuffen oath.

It's called instinct and when you play a mans game expect a lot of it.

What they did,imo,was within the rules and as such should remain an un-reportable incident(s)

Sportsmanlike -definitely not,but who's talking about sportsmanship anyway.

If we at the RFC had an ounce of this vulturesque instinct
 we would be a formidable force within the competition as opposed to the recent benchmark for femininity.

As nasty as it was it was beautiful.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 07:31:40 PM »
Agree with the Eddie is a dikhead vibe that is permeating this thread.

As for the Reiwoldt -Michael/Scott incident, I thought it was poor form by those two Brisbane players but it shouldn't be reportable. I just hope the favour is returned to them.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 07:53:17 PM »
It's unlikely they'll get reported. It'd set a new precident if players were rubbed out for not playing in the spirit of the game. Where would you draw the line?! 

As for a 1 year TV deal. I wonder if a Mr Packer has had a quiet word to Andy D ?!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 07:57:11 PM »
I'm really sick of the meathead approach of the commentators when these things come up.  Dermott always reckons virtually anything is okay.  Now, i luv physical footy, won't deny it.  But targeting someone who is injured like that is a pretty cowardly act IMO.  Not a reportable incident, but doesn't reflect well on the ppl involved.  Good on Cometti for having the guts to say it was an ordinary act.

Ox

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 08:32:51 PM »
Bad luck for Reiwoldt.

If he had any brains he would have fended then off with his good arm at leats instead of retreating to the boundary and crying like  an under 10s player.

WTF was that ?

I just watched molly mildew try and publicise the fact that these 2 should be reported- what i'd expect from a directionless
poofter.

Welcome to the big league kiddo.

It makes for great footy.
(and no,i dont agree with Byron Picketts hit on the adelaide guy.)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 10:52:56 PM »
Riewoldt doesn't play for us so really don't give a rats.
Think the incident was/is blown out of proportion - he was over the white line and wasn't in any trainers arms at the time - I would expect no less from any one in my team if they saw something like that to test it out.

And the sooky la la is starting to get on my nerves as well - fair enough the palyers put thier heart and soul into training and playing week in week out - But get a reality grip guys it is just a game after all it is not the end of the world and the money and lifestyle surely makes up for a few weeks out FFS (Then again the way I carry on at the footy). That's another story  :lol

Wouldn't of seen it in the old days - what would people like Jack Dyer say - he would be rolling in his grave i'd dare say.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 11:26:36 PM »
I'm really sick of the meathead approach of the commentators when these things come up.  Dermott always reckons virtually anything is okay.

I guess once you've stepped on a guy's head, everything is permitted.

This incident has been blown out of proportion no doubt because Reiwoldt is the AFL's golden boy, but it was still a low act by the Brisbane boys, anyway you look at it.

As for Reiwoldt himself, was a little melodramatic to turn on the waterworks, but I'll go easy on him. He is defnitely a brave player and commits his body to punishment, as was shown by that mark he took last year running backwards into an approaching pack. He ain't no soft cok.

Ox

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 12:52:03 AM »
He aint no softcok JohnF and will one day be one of the greats
but for now has to earn his stripes among older,meaner lions.

What we saw last night was a good old fashioned welcoming to the Big Time.

It may be wrong but poo like that inspires me to the max.

Nick will now re-assess an come back meaner.

I phukken love it and wish there were more of it.

Pressure makes diamonds.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 03:07:58 AM »
Yeah there's truth to what you say mate.

lmfaoo@ barring up over Reiwoldt's initiation.