Author Topic: Figures condemn Tiger defence  (Read 1919 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Figures condemn Tiger defence
« on: March 27, 2005, 03:42:31 AM »
Figures condemn Tiger defence
fox news
March 26, 2005

RICHMOND is headed for a club record 15th successive defeat against Geelong in AFL round one tomorrow, but another more obscure club record looms to embarrass the Tigers.

Should the Tigers concede more than 100 points tomorrow, it will be the 12th successive match in which they have done so.

Only once before in Richmond's history - in 1992 - had the Tiger defence been so consistently poor.

New coach Terry Wallace recognised the weakness, bringing in veteran Mark Graham from Hawthorn while relying upon improved performances from veterans Darren Gaspar and Andrew Kellaway in 2005.

"We had a couple of players in our defensive end of the ground who lost their way a little bit," Wallace said.

"Darren Gaspar had only been eight months off a knee reconstruction (in 2004), and he's had another summer to get himself right.

"I see his athleticism as that much superior to last year that it's not funny.

"Andrew Kellaway lost his confidence last season and he's back playing some good footy over the summer.

"We've added some more seniority in that area with Mark Graham coming down and I've played Kane Johnson more off half-back than midfield in the pre-season.

"It's more solid in its seniority and backlines need that."

Another change to the backline will see Joel Bowden moved away from centre half-back back into midfield, despite the good form he had shown in defence in 2004.

"He won the best and fairest playing at centre half-back but in the time he came back from Coburg the side didn't win a game," Wallace said.

"I very much believe that it's not what's good for the player, it's what's good for the team.

"Matthew Richardson had a fantastic year at full-forward, kicked 60 goals, Joel Bowden won the best and fairest, but Richmond weren't winning games.

"He can offer something as a half-back, but we've seen him as a ruck-rover and wingman in the past being a fair player for the club when they were in winning form."

AAP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12662016-23211,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Figures condemn Tiger defence
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 04:28:42 AM »
RICHMOND is headed for a club record 15th successive defeat against Geelong in AFL round one tomorrow

WTF ??? Is this journalistic psychic or a cocky Cats supporter?

Should the Tigers concede more than 100 points tomorrow, it will be the 12th successive match in which they have done so.

As long as we're at least 1 point ahead of the Cats score tomorrow then who cares if Geelong reach 100 points. They did in the 67 GF  :thumbsup ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »
There was sure some Benny Hill comedy in our defence today with our handgrenade handballing and field kicking :scream. Add to that no midfield pressure nor midfielders pushing back to fill holes and no wonder we conceded 25 goals  :help.

Until we replace our old defenders with talls that can dispose the ball precisely we are stuffed. But nothng new there.

What was Tivs doing on Mackie ??? He was giving away 6 inches.

lol @ Richo in the last quarter running out of defence trying to do cute blind handballs  :help. By that stage if you didn't laugh you would've cried.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 09:31:56 PM »

He was trying to give away six inches MT but Mackie didn't wanna know about it  :s

Again it was our leaders who sat down.

I wont bother mentioning names as all my favorite whipping boys are on the list and im sure u have all tired of it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 09:44:55 PM »
Again it was our leaders who sat down.

I wont bother mentioning names as all my favorite whipping boys are on the list and im sure u have all tired of it.

Yeah Ox. Once again we were a rabble without direction.

You wouldn't think Joel, Browny, Cambo, Simmonds or Krakouer played today. Browny only came into the game when he was moved to FF in the last. Johnson and Cogs had no influence. Gas, Kellaway, Razor and Chaffey had Gas, Kellaway, Razor and Chaffey games  :P.

I thought Hyde at least showed some determination to generate some run in the side. Sadly one or two guys can't make up for a lazy footy team. I hope Wallace grinds them into the training track this week as lesson that if you don't work during the match then you'll make it up during the week. Hope he tears a few layers off the those usual suspects Ox. 

Ox

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 10:34:30 PM »
Not a football brain among them today.

I dont think we can judge  Terry whatsoever yet,what's the guy suppose to do ?
He's inherited Spudz heroes and every week will le4arn more about what has been going on.

They literally ran rings round us today,but it wasn't really that hard. :banghead

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »
Not a football brain among them today.

You've hit the nail on the head Ox. This is one of our greatest problems, how do you instill footy smarts to players? I watched Cogs choose to kick to an iffy contest (naturally the ball got turned over) and yet he had Cambo in space who could have run unopposed into an open goal. Cogs didn't even look sideways prior to passing the ball.

Some players are naturally good thinkers...Deledio in his first game showed more footy smarts than most of our side combined. We continually choose the wrong option, or panic and just kick to a contest or worse kick it straight to the opposition. We need to instill a bit of patience in our game...note how the cats were very patient (of course they had the skill to back it up) and worked till they freed a player up.

Skill - teachable, muscle - u can build, pace - u can work on, footy brain - priceless.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 02:58:01 PM »

He was also taking about 6 inches all day.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 03:03:35 PM »

I thought Hyde at least showed some determination to generate some run in the side. Sadly one or two guys can't make up for a lazy footy team. I hope Wallace grinds them into the training track this week as lesson that if you don't work during the match then you'll make it up during the week. Hope he tears a few layers off the those usual suspects Ox. 

Hyde did well trying to run the lines and take the opposition on but how many posessions did he get as opposed to who he was playing on?

You know we are finished when we start praising midfielders who touch the ball 17 times.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 04:49:10 PM »

Hyde did well trying to run the lines and take the opposition on but how many posessions did he get as opposed to who he was playing on?

You know we are finished when we start praising midfielders who touch the ball 17 times.

Hyde's no superstar but he was only one of a few who stuck to the gameplan of moving the ball on forward quickly instead of handballing backwards like most of his teammates. If I was Terry Hyde would be one of the last to have a go at and instead lay into most of our experienced blokes who are thick as two planks and take forever to access a situation which by that time it's gone  :banghead.

I was sitting behind the city end goals in the new stand as I went with my dad yesterday so was at ground level (btw the geelong cheer squad might like to learn a new tune instead of just gee-long  ::)  :sleep ). Now I'm no professional footballer but I had the exact same view as our players and could spot where our free players were. Why can't our dopey blokes see them immediately and when they do why do they look at their teammate then stop-start allowing their teammate to be manned up?! It's not that bloody hard :banghead. If you were Terry you wish you had a zapper to get them moving.

Seriously our guys need a footy simulator built to quicken up their thought processes. Start slowly then speed it up.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 04:54:10 PM »
 :scream

Luckily all the old riff-raff will be gone in a year or two and hopefully so will the slow cognition they bring to the team.