Author Topic: What did we think of Wallace's coaching?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
What did we think of Wallace's coaching?
« on: March 27, 2005, 09:32:11 PM »
Thought Wallace at least tried changing up a few things like having a forward line of smalls and then Browny at FF in the last when Richo went into defence.

He had no answer to us getting smashed in the middle. Hartigan may have had a quiet pre-season but we needed someone out there who could win the hardball. I think Techno got picked to try to counter the Cats pace but got chopped up by the nippy Byrnes around the Cats' goals.

Staff may have missed because he wasn't 100% but I think we really suffered from only having two ruckmen. Simmonds had an off day and Knobel was being beaten by Otto and King in the second quarter when Geelong kicked 9 goals in row.

As for Tivs on Mackie. As I said in the other thread, not sure what was happening there.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: What did we think of Wallace's coaching?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 11:13:22 PM »
I think Wallace should abandon the whole Chaffey-as-midfielder project. He got slaughtered by Ling and though he got a bit of the ball himself, failed to hit targets in certain situations where the targets were easily hittable.

lmfaooo@Richo in defense, just what we need, another unco to join Gaspar, Kellaway and Hall.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 12:19:13 AM »
I think Wallace should abandon the whole Chaffey-as-midfielder project. He got slaughtered by Ling and though he got a bit of the ball himself, failed to hit targets in certain situations where the targets were easily hittable.

Not defending Chaffey but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe out there  :P. We have to just tolerate this situation until the Deledio's, Tambling's, Meyer's etc are strong and mature enough to replace him and our other poorly skilled senior players.

The problem with Chaffey is you can't hide poor foot skills these days. That's why he's no longer a HB flanker where you need precise foot skills to distribute the ball properly and he is trying to become a tagger instead. In any case as Ling got 30+ possessions again Chaf didn't do the job required of him as a tagger even if he got the footy a bit himself.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 12:26:31 AM »
Tried quite a few things. One of the things he would have learn't today is that he will be delisting Chaffey at the end of the year (Sarcasim). Seriously he would have learn't more about our list today than In the combined last 5 months and he would have been horrified with what he saw. He has a HUGE job in front of him and we as supporters have to be prepared to give him the time and space to do it, it's going to be a tough road for all and sundry and unfortunatly there's no quick fix.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 11:50:55 AM »
What can you say? Damn hard to look at his coaching under the circumstances. Thumbs up for at least trying to move people around and give them a feel for other positions. Apart from that, cant say much. We got smashed, and he couldnt stop the rot. Beyond that.....jury is still out.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 01:55:23 PM »
As I said on another thread he gets a  :thumbsup for benching our "stars" who made selfish and undisciplined errors. In years gone by that would never have happended.

Staff may have missed because he wasn't 100% but I think we really suffered from only having two ruckmen. Simmonds had an off day and Knobel was being beaten by Otto and King in the second quarter when Geelong kicked 9 goals in row.

I reckon if Staffy has come thorugh the Coburg game alright he'd be a shoe in for the seniors next week. Even if you don't play him in the ruck e can just sit him in the goal square to give us a viable target and another forward option.

Granted Knobel was getting beaten but really our on ballers around the ruck didn't help much. They couldn't get a clearance to save themselves. Geelong were very smart in that regard - they really bottled it up
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »
Gotta agree with WP here. Im sure TW didnt let it slide that Browny only got a sniff in the last quarter when the game was dead and buried...and his post-match comments on Bowden were spot on. Here I spent all summer trying to tell my dad that he won a B&F based on utter garbage, playing at CHB getting 25+ possessions, but forgetting that his man would kick 4 goals and set-up the victory. Here Plough comes in, sees from Day 1 that he was useless there in terms of term-contribution and team-impact and isn't afraid to say so. Same thing with blogging Richo down in the square.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »
Well said om21  :thumbsup

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 08:44:36 PM »
the last game we played geelong ling had 44 touches, considering this time we got flogged , ling only had 27  as i recall, chaffery started brilliantly on ling, but as the game broke open it became harder and harder 4 him, give him 6 weeks to try this role then f him off if he fails, too soon to start firing the gun, its only rnd one !

dont get me wrong i have being anti chaffey since the day we got him, but i do beleive under tw all players need the time and chance to prove themselves. just have to be careful that we dont give them 2 much time

Offline Hammerfire

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:57:46 PM »
How about next time he leave the stuffing midfield alone!

Eg: Leave Deledio in there for longer!

Ox

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 12:54:30 AM »
Chaffey 
          - If unable to convert his game to that of tagging thug he will be gone.

Bowden
             - fuhken hate the guy.Hated him ever since i saw him doing party trix with the footy during a match and cosequently
turned the ball over.It happened more than once too.
Who can forget the night against colon-sore that he twice squibeed  the mark.

His old man was a dud and he's a protected species dud,kind of that old school protection for a former players kid.

Ive watched him for his whole career be a gutless,lazy,calculating jerk and now his time has come.

Tivendale -LMAOOO
Reminds me of a stupid dog that gets the ball when u throw it but runs around the yard for an hour deciding what to do with it.
Talk him up and fuhk him off.

Gaspar. 
         I dont even give a poo about him,As far as im concerned he;s already dead.
I have no expectations whatsoever.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 01:10:36 AM »
 :rollin  :rollin :lol
 :rollin
 :lol
 :rollin :lol
 :lol :rollin
 :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :rollin :rollin off

letsgetiton!

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 08:41:38 AM »
Chaffey 
          - If unable to convert his game to that of tagging thug he will be gone.

Bowden
             - fuhken hate the guy.Hated him ever since i saw him doing party trix with the footy during a match and cosequently
turned the ball over.It happened more than once too.
Who can forget the night against colon-sore that he twice squibeed  the mark.

His old man was a dud and he's a protected species dud,kind of that old school protection for a former players kid.

Ive watched him for his whole career be a gutless,lazy,calculating jerk and now his time has come.

Tivendale -LMAOOO
Reminds me of a stupid dog that gets the ball when u throw it but runs around the yard for an hour deciding what to do with it.
Talk him up and fuhk him off.

Gaspar. 
         I dont even give a poo about him,As far as im concerned he;s already dead.
I have no expectations whatsoever.

i understand  why a say this and where u r at m but the comments about gas  i think are a bit harsh. b4 he did his knee he was the best backman in the afl, once his body is right again u will see this guy back to his best as its all about confidence. lets wait and see, i know tw has faith in him

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 04:00:21 PM »
Staff kicked 4 and Hartigan 2 with 25 possies for Coburg last week they are certain inclusions this week, Raines played a blinder so I think they'll all come in this week too.
GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 04:13:18 PM »
b4 he did his knee he was the best backman in the afl, once his body is right again u will see this guy back to his best as its all about confidence. lets wait and see, i know tw has faith in him

The role of a full-back has changed since Gas won AA. A FB now needs to not only stop or at least contain the opposition's FF but also generate run out of defence. Scarlett and Michael do both. I thought Gas was back to near his pre-knee self at the former on the weekend and did try to do the latter so he was one of our better players. However he doesn't have the natural foot-skills to reliably hit targets under pressure when distributing or switching the footy out of defence and often needs to dish off a handball to a teammate. Strangely he is the most accurate kick for goal in the side  ???.