Author Topic: Senior players on notice  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Senior players on notice
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:12:05 PM »
Eight weeks and counting
5:30:38 PM Tue 29 March, 2005
Samantha Lane
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace says he will find out within eight weeks which of his players will be prepared to join him on a quest for success at Punt Road.

Speaking after a hotly-anticipated round one clash with Geelong went horribly wrong for the Tigers, Wallace - in the first year of a five-season deal - said it would be revealed to him very quickly which players would follow him on the 'journey'.

"That'll be one of the things that I reckon I'll find out in a month or two months - who's actually going to take us to where we want to go in the future," he said on Tuesday.

"Do all of the senior players, (or) some of the senior players come along for the ride? Or do we have to look towards a few of the younger guys within the structure of the side?"

"I'm in a long journey and…I reckon I'll know within a month to six weeks who's going to come along that journey with me."

"Those sort of things will work their way out. We've just got to work through all those sort of things."

Wallace was critical of his senior players following the 62-point loss to the Cats, and dragged several of them during the game.

But he denied that his provocative pre-match comments about Brad Ottens' decision to leave Richmond for Geelong had backfired, and even suggested that they were designed to help create a finals-like atmosphere for the club's season opener.

"We put a little bit of heat in our game to sort of find out how many real men we had. Well, they failed the first test, but it gave me a fantastic look at where my group are and what I can do from there."

Wallace said it was futile to panic after one loss, and said he would not be overly reactive in the lead up to his side's round two clash with Hawthorn, the club widely tipped to be wooden spooners in 2005.

"I don't think you slice anyone on one game."

"Obviously I was disappointed like everyone else was, and our players were disappointed. But to me it's the reaction to that that really defines strong people and good teams," Wallace said.

"We've got to work on where we're going and how we're turning the club around for the future. You don't panic about the results of anything at any given time."

Meanwhile, Wallace said No. 4 NAB draft pick Richard Tambling would not debut against the Hawks due to a toe injury.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=192634
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Senior players on notice
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:43:58 PM »
Meanwhile, Wallace said No. 4 NAB draft pick Richard Tambling would not debut against the Hawks due to a toe injury.

Bummer :-\ - I thought it would be a nice way to debut against the Hawks who I reckon long term will regret not taking this kid ;D

And don't worry Tezza - I am here for the "journey" however long it takes  :thumbsup

Though, sooner rather than later would be good ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 04:08:19 AM »
"That'll be one of the things that I reckon I'll find out in a month or two months - who's actually going to take us to where we want to go in the future," he said on Tuesday.

"Do all of the senior players, (or) some of the senior players come along for the ride? Or do we have to look towards a few of the younger guys within the structure of the side?"

"I'm in a long journey and…I reckon I'll know within a month to six weeks who's going to come along that journey with me."

:thumbsup  :bow

I'd bet he already has a fair idea having spent 2 years in the media watching the usual suspects fail under pressure then seeing them repeat their typical soft ways first hand on Sunday. Based on past history I'm thinking we'll have a much younger side by round 8.

Too bad about Tambling. I was looking forward to him reminding the Hawks of their draft boo-boo. Not sure why he played for Coburg on the weekend if he wasn't 100%.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:15:23 AM »

i agree, he knows who they are, but being a good coach he is giving them a chance to proves and re invent themselves! if they cant they are out!

im here 4 the journy, he wanted a 5 year deal because he knew it would take time

:thumbsup  :bow

I'd bet he already has a fair idea having spent 2 years in the media watching the usual suspects fail under pressure then seeing them repeat their typical soft ways first hand on Sunday. Based on past history I'm thinking we'll have a much younger side by round 8.

Too bad about Tambling. I was looking forward to him reminding the Hawks of their draft boo-boo. Not sure why he played for Coburg on the weekend if he wasn't 100%.

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:53:41 AM »
TW is particularly unhappy with the leadership group after this last performance as there didn't seem to be any leadership onfield also some senior players fell back into their old ways under pressure.

The team had a very solid training session Tuesday followed by serious running drills they will be having another prolonged session today and again on Friday which all adds up to a tough week on the track. The message is obvious if they aren't prepared to play to the gameplan, be accountable run to protect the ball carrier instead of all peeling off, break the lines, put their bodies on the line & get back to help out defencively they will be flogged on the track untill they get the message.

It's in their own best interests to take this onboard quickly our next 3 games are like finals for us we need to win at least 2 and be very competitive in the other. I have the feeling that there will be a sacrifice this week, a name player, just to show the group we will not accept mediocrity.

Wallace will not have any mercy on those who refuse to play to instructions, i believe changes will be made this week with at least two senior players to get their first lesson.

We can't afford to wait 4 weeks to address our onfield woes action must be taken immediately and a deliberate and serious statement made.

The changes I feel are nessicary are IN; Hartigan, Raines, Stafford, Archibald, Meyer, OUT:Tivendale, Hall, Roach, Kellaway* & Bowden*.

Surprise * Senior and leadership players a direct statement that noone's expendable.

Plough is adamant that team rules will be followed and automatic selections are a thing of the past. I expect the Tigers to come out with venom this week and flog the hawks.

Unfortunately due to circumstanses Chaff will escape the axe this week but he and others are on notice.
GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

froars

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 09:11:54 AM »
I have the feeling that there will be a sacrifice this week, a name player, just to show the group we will not accept mediocrity.
I hope your feelings are right, Roar.  I want Wallace to stamp his disapproval right from the beginning and to say to each of them that half-hearted efforts are not acceptable and no-one's position in the team is a fait accompli.  Trouble is, who do you choose when most of them are as guilty as the other this week?

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 09:46:41 AM »

The changes I feel are nessicary are IN; Hartigan, Raines, Stafford, Archibald, Meyer, OUT:Tivendale, Hall, Roach, Kellaway* & Bowden*.

Good ins and outs, but I'd drop Chaffey and Krakour instead of Bowden and Roach.

Hartigan can replace Tivendale on a back flank (i'm getting tired of his weak efforts)
Raines can replace Chaffey and can rotate through the middle.  Chaffey is a massive liability.  Raines is a genuine player and I'm very surprised Terry hasn't got him in the starting 22.
Meyer - people say he isn't ready physically, but footy nous wise he's more ready than most our seniors.  This kid has balance, awareness, composure, and skill. Play him off the bench and ease him into the side. 
Archibald.  Physically I reckon he's ready to go.  Liked his aggression.  Can replace Hall or Kellaway in the backline.
Stafford picks himself, and can play FF where simmonds and Knobel were disappointing.
Krakour needs to pull his finger out.
In a week or 2, gradually bring in the likes of Tambling, Moore and Gilmour, and promote Foley, once they find some form and fitness.  Foley has plenty of footy smarts, and if he can gain full fitness from his knee then he must be promoted.

Yes we might get flogged with such a young line up, but Terry can more effectively mould them the way he wants to and doesn't need to battle against old ingrained bad habits.

Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 11:24:53 AM »
and promote Foley...  Foley has plenty of footy smarts, and if he can gain full fitness from his knee then he must be promoted.

I could be wrong and stand corrected if anyone can verify but I am preety sure I saw Nathan Foley on crutches on Sunday after the game. I was leaving the social club and saw young Raines and another player walking with a bloke on crutches who looked like Foley.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 02:51:36 PM »
and promote Foley...  Foley has plenty of footy smarts, and if he can gain full fitness from his knee then he must be promoted.

I could be wrong and stand corrected if anyone can verify but I am preety sure I saw Nathan Foley on crutches on Sunday after the game. I was leaving the social club and saw young Raines and another player walking with a bloke on crutches who looked like Foley.

You could be right Wil, coz I noticed Foley come off in the last quarter favouring his already heavily strapped right knee.  Let's hope it's nothing too serious coz he was probably the best player for Coburg on one good knee and a limited pre-season.  If he can get fully fit he will slot in nicely.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Cain

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »
Who are on our senoir list (not recent drafts)? This is 30% of of our list. I aint no senior coach, I reakon this list will dwindle by the end of the year.

Joel Bowden - Safe
Wayne Campbell - Gone
Mark Chaffey - Gone
Darren Gaspar - Should survive
Ray Hall - Should survive (second string big man)
Rory Hilton - dunno (poor skills)
Andrew Kellaway - gone
Andrew Krakouer - doesnt have much time left to prove himself.
Kayne Pettifer - gone
Mathew Richardson - will see his career out at RFC
Greg Tivendale - gone (trade bait)

Go on - I know a few af you will have a go at me for my predictions.
Bad habits die hard - so you gotta farm em out at draft time.
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 06:12:43 PM »

Wallace said it was futile to panic after one loss, and said he would not be overly reactive in the lead up to his side's round two clash with Hawthorn, the club widely tipped to be wooden spooners in 2005.

"I don't think you slice anyone on one game."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=192634

This quote says it all.

No senior players will be dropped this week. There might be a few little changes like the inclusion of Hartigan and Stafford, but going on the above statement not much will change, which I think is a good thing. It's only been one game, and yes, it was diabolical, but we also want to find out who's got the balls to be able to come back from that and we wont find that out if we drop them out of the side. If we have a shocker again this week, then maybe expect some bigger names to get the chop for the following week.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 06:20:33 PM »
Who are on our senoir list (not recent drafts)? This is 30% of of our list. I aint no senior coach, I reakon this list will dwindle by the end of the year.

Joel Bowden - Safe
Wayne Campbell - Gone
Mark Chaffey - Gone
Darren Gaspar - Should survive
Ray Hall - Should survive (second string big man)
Rory Hilton - dunno (poor skills)
Andrew Kellaway - gone
Andrew Krakouer - doesnt have much time left to prove himself.
Kayne Pettifer - gone
Mathew Richardson - will see his career out at RFC
Greg Tivendale - gone (trade bait)

Go on - I know a few af you will have a go at me for my predictions.
Bad habits die hard - so you gotta farm em out at draft time.

Agree with the lot, except for Hilton. He is more gone than anyone else on that list.