Author Topic: Jack Dyer Medal  (Read 2071 times)

froars

Jack Dyer Medal
« on: March 30, 2005, 02:33:50 PM »
How do you rate the winner of the Jack Dyer Medal?

I’ve noticed on many occasions, JohnF point to the fact Campbell has owned it over the last couple of years, yet many people don’t rate Campbell.  I really admire how John goes to bat for Cambo and usually manages to persuade even the most anti-Campbell over to his side.

I could say the same about Bowden, where I thought it was a great effort to turn his career around last year to win it, yet plenty are into him already calling him a dud and really just erases a proud moment for him.

Makes me think the medal is kind of worthless nowadays.

I also think of how players of the club are treated.  Years ago, we would have been awe struck to get a player’s autograph, no matter how good they were.  The fact they played for the RFC meant they were gods.

Today, it is a meat market, with supporters saying some of the cruellest things about players at the drop of a hat, or one bad game.

Quite frankly, I am starting to dislike messageboards immensely due some of these reasons.  Am I alone?  And no, I won’t go away in case some of you were hoping lol, but I’m a bit peeed with all the negativity at the moment after one game.

Really, there’s two issues here:

1. The value of the Jack Dyer Medal; and

2. Bagging players unmercifully

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jack Dyer Medal
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 04:39:02 PM »
1. The value of the Jack Dyer Medal;

Regardless of what anyone cares to think or say, according to those casting votes, Joel Bowden was our best/most consistent player last year and, for that one season, obviously did what was asked of him by the coaches, otherwise someone else would’ve won.  If people don’t rate him that’s their choice.  The fact remains that he won our B&F. 

Where the team finished doesn’t alter anything.  Under the criteria for giving votes, he came out on top.  Is a player who wins when the team is down less deserving, or not as good a player as someone in a better performing team?  How much harder is it for players in a bottom team to stay focused and motivated and not lose heart when most others around them are struggling?

Joel’s frustrated the daylights out of me, but he must’ve done something right to win the Jack Dyer Medal.  Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have any shortcomings and couldn’t improve, just means he was considered to have done his job better than any of his teammates last year.

We’ve only played one game so far and most things have changed from last year.  If Joel, or any player, doesn’t adapt this season then someone who has a consistent year can be voted the best player for this season.  If others around him weren't able to do that in 2004 it's not his fault.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »
How do you rate the winner of the Jack Dyer Medal?

I’ve noticed on many occasions, JohnF point to the fact Campbell has owned it over the last couple of years, yet many people don’t rate Campbell.  I really admire how John goes to bat for Cambo and usually manages to persuade even the most anti-Campbell over to his side.

I could say the same about Bowden, where I thought it was a great effort to turn his career around last year to win it, yet plenty are into him already calling him a dud and really just erases a proud moment for him.

Makes me think the medal is kind of worthless nowadays.

I also think of how players of the club are treated.  Years ago, we would have been awe struck to get a player’s autograph, no matter how good they were.  The fact they played for the RFC meant they were gods.

Today, it is a meat market, with supporters saying some of the cruellest things about players at the drop of a hat, or one bad game.

Quite frankly, I am starting to dislike messageboards immensely due some of these reasons.  Am I alone?  And no, I won’t go away in case some of you were hoping lol, but I’m a bit peeed with all the negativity at the moment after one game.

Really, there’s two issues here:

1. The value of the Jack Dyer Medal; and

lol, thanks for the compliment Froars.

I get the feeling a lot of the people of Big Footy think I'm arrogant with the way I stick it to them and fly in the face of 'common knowledge' when it comes to players like Campbell. I can understand how i can pee alot of poeple off becuase it's pretty annoying to others when one is very confronting. But oh well, some points just have to be made!

About the Jack Dyer Medal and best and fairests in general, I tend to rate them very highly. The reason for this is becuase best and fairests reflect more than any other award how consistently good a player performs and how valuable their contribution is to the team as a whole. Coaches are in the best position to judge whether a player's contribution to a club has been worth while, as they review how a player faired in comparison to their opponent, whether they did the team things well and whether they followed out the coaches instructions.

This isn't the only way to rate a footballer though. I tend to feel that a lot of fans place a premium on magical moments and feats of rare ability, over the drudgery and monotonuy of consistency. What sticks in the mind of most supporters is what gets their blood moving; the spectacular. Thus, a player like Richo who has been capable of anything and everything will be adjudged far and away the best Richmond player of his time by most supporters, even though he has had some shockers.

Likewise a player like Ablett, who wasn't always the most consistent, would on his day turn out sublime performances that would take your breath away. A certain mark or goal or play performed by Ablett simply can't be quantified by a B&F. For instance, he may recieve the most votes in the B&F for kicking 15 goals one week and then a player like Mark Bairstow might recieve the most votes in the B&F for the next two weeks for getting 28 possessions and 30 possesions. The two performances don't even compare to Ablett's one in most people's minds. Ablett's feat will become legend, whereas Bairstow's performances won't be remembered. But as far as a B&F count is concerned, Bairstow will be adjudged the better player.

This is not to say that B&F's don't reflect on players that do the spectacular. But it will only reflect on them to a deservant degree if they perform the spectacular consistently.

At the end of the day, I must agree, that above all we follow the game passionately and get moved by what is magical and extraordinary, not by what is efficient, consistent and predictable. However I do feel that more credence should be given to the consistent, the efficient and workhorse-like players, for they show greatness in their own way, though in a more subtle, unassuming and uninspiring way.

I probably tend to focus more on the rational than the passionate side of me when I praise the likes of Campbell. It's probably the opposite for some other supporters. Campbell really doesn't inspire any emotion other than hate when you see him play for 15 years without so much as a smile on his face and chip-kicking the ball around the filed.

So what am I saying? B&F's are important but they aren't everything. Depending on what you value it will seem very or not so important.

Varying supporters will be more swayed by reason or passion to a lesser or greater degree. Those that are more swayed by reason are probably more inclined to put a greater emphasis on B&F's than those who are more swayed by passion.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 05:30:14 PM by JohnF »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »
1. The value of the Jack Dyer Medal

IMO the B&F awards lose some of their gloss because they reward players who have one great year as opposed to rewarding a player who consistently performs at a high level over his whole career. It's only when a player wins a few of them that you can say it's a truer reflection of a player's standing. Just getting away from the JD medal  - someone like Woewodin has won a Brownlow  :rollin yet superstars like Carey, Ablett, Royce, KB, Jezza, ... could go on forever .... never won one.

The other reason the JD medal loses its gloss in some ways these days is that winning a B&F in a crap side isn't regarded a highly as winning one in a premiership year when the competition is tougher. Supporters are in awe of the top players in premiership or at least top sides. It's hard to be in awe of players when they've copped one belting after another.

Possibly a better reflection of a player's contribution is to work out their B&F votes per game average over their whole career.

Fair point Moi. If the criticism is balanced and more along the lines of analysis it's more interesting to read than a one-liner saying player X is once again a total dud.

Still you know that our most experienced, high profile and highly paid blokes will cop it the most when they have a poor run of games and it's hard to defend a performance like on Sunday. Just getting slightly off topic - In some ways the Club is more to blame than the player himself as they agree to what to pay the player and for how long do they sign-up the player for when contracts are up for renewal. Finally last year we put our foot down with Ottens and said you'll only get paid in line with what you offer to the team. If you don't like it good-bye.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 10:13:03 PM »
TS: Regardless of what anyone cares to think or say, according to those casting votes, Joel Bowden was our best/most consistent player last year and, for that one season, obviously did what was asked of him by the coaches, otherwise someone else would’ve won.  If people don’t rate him that’s their choice.  The fact remains that he won our B&F. 

Moi: My point is why don’t they at least give Joel more than a week before reverting back to “get rid of the dud”.  They obviously don’t respect him if they can’t give him more time to prove his worth, and, because they don’t respect him as a past winner of the medal, the medal IMO is quite worthless to them and its value overall tarnished by their opinions.  It’s not worthless to me I might point out – be more than pleased to put that on my resume.  But if I was subjected to the abuse Joel gets, the honour of receiving that medal would be tarnished, let alone the effort he went to to turn his career around being ignored.

TS: Where the team finished doesn’t alter anything.  Under the criteria for giving votes, he came out on top.  Is a player who wins when the team is down less deserving, or not as good a player as someone in a better performing team?  How much harder is it for players in a bottom team to stay focused and motivated and not lose heart when most others around them are struggling?

MT: The other reason the JD medal loses its gloss in some ways these days is that winning a B&F in a crap side isn't regarded a highly as winning one in a premiership year when the competition is tougher. Supporters are in awe of the top players in premiership or at least top sides. It's hard to be in awe of players when they've copped one belting after another.

JF: About the Jack Dyer Medal and best and fairests in general, I tend to rate them very highly. The reason for this is becuase best and fairests reflect more than any other award how consistently good a player performs and how valuable their contribution is to the team as a whole. Coaches are in the best position to judge whether a player's contribution to a club has been worth while, as they review how a player faired in comparison to their opponent, whether they did the team things well and whether they followed out the coaches instructions.

Moi: As much as I agree with you MT, TS’ point about staying focused and motivated when a team is down, is not only a great achievement, but it’s also sets standards for others to follow.  Never a greater example than Joel last year when he took his demotion to the seconds, and instead of whinging he had been dropped, absolutely did everything to ensure he wasn’t going to be dropped again, and, as a consequence, was rewarded.  With that example, doesn’t matter to me that we finished last, or that Joel might never reach those heights again, it was the effort he made in that season that deserves a bit more respect and given more than one week before he is put on the endangered species list again.  Again, ppl just totally ignore that effort, and again, show no respect for the award.

I’m glad you rate them highly, JF, because I’ll remind you of it every time you bag Joel or Gas lol.  Only kidding  ;D  Everyone has their own opinions on players, and B&F players are not above being scrutinised – it’s the total lack of respect for players who’ve won the award, and because they’ve been down on form, injured, had the bad form to get older lol or whatever, they’re considered totally useless again, and memories of their achievements are totally forgotten – again, no respect for the medal or the player. 

JF: lol, thanks for the compliment Froars. I get the feeling a lot of the people of Big Footy think I'm arrogant with the way I stick it to them and fly in the face of 'common knowledge' when it comes to players like Campbell. I can understand how i can pee alot of poeple off becuase it's pretty annoying to others when one is very confronting. But oh well, some points just have to be made!

Moi: It’s called respecting the player and his achievements, JF, and being loyal to someone you have obviously admired.  It’s annoying to some people because they don’t understand the concept of loyalty, achievements and the fact that Richmond players aren’t robots.  If I could form arguments like you do lol, you reckon I wouldn’t have a go back if I believed in something so greatly.  Good luck to you, I reckon, and stand up for what you believe in.

JF: This isn't the only way to rate a footballer though. I tend to feel that a lot of fans place a premium on magical moments and feats of rare ability, over the drudgery and monotonuy of consistency. What sticks in the mind of most supporters is what gets their blood moving; the spectacular. Thus, a player like Richo who has been capable of anything and everything will be adjudged far and away the best Richmond player of his time by most supporters, even though he has had some shockers.  Likewise a player like Ablett, who wasn't always the most consistent, would on his day turn out sublime performances that would take your breath away. A certain mark or goal or play performed by Ablett simply can't be quantified by a B&F. For instance, he may recieve the most votes in the B&F for kicking 15 goals one week and then a player like Mark Bairstow might recieve the most votes in the B&F for the next two weeks for getting 28 possessions and 30 possesions. The two performances don't even compare to Ablett's one in most people's minds. Ablett's feat will become legend, whereas Bairstow's performances won't be remembered. But as far as a B&F count is concerned, Bairstow will be adjudged the better player.

MT: Just getting away from the JD medal  - someone like Woewodin has won a Brownlow   yet superstars like Carey, Ablett, Royce, KB, Jezza, ... could go on forever .... never won one.

Moi:  The Brownlow Medal really is a farce IMO – when you consider guys like Geoff Raines in a B&F winning year never polled one vote for memory.  It’s the criteria of being the best and “fairest” which means that the greats like Ablett and Carey etc won’t receive such a medal.  But when voted for by their peers, they’re the first to be named in the legends hall of fame stuff.  I know which one I’d prefer – the respect of my peers rather than some white maggot lol.

That’s why it’s good to have club awards like B&Fs, so that the players that do the team oriented stuff are rewarded.  Guys like Andy Kellaway, Bairstow would never receive any awards if it was based purely on football ability. 

JF: At the end of the day, I must agree, that above all we follow the game passionately and get moved by what is magical and extraordinary, not by what is efficient, consistent and predictable. However I do feel that more credence should be given to the consistent, the efficient and workhorse-like players, for they show greatness in their own way, though in a more subtle, unassuming and uninspiring way.

Moi: Just luv this statement lol.  I can add in another as well, someone who gets more out of themselves than what God gave them.  Chris Hyde has done a remarkable job in turning his career around.  Never be a spectacular player like Ablett or as smooth and silky as Hird, but what he’s done in such a short time is nothing more than miraculous.  My fear is if he has a couple of bad weeks, all hell will break loose on him and those achievements forgotten, such is the fickleness of fans.

JF: I probably tend to focus more on the rational than the passionate side of me when I praise the likes of Campbell. It's probably the opposite for some other supporters. Campbell really doesn't inspire any emotion other than hate when you see him play for 15 years without so much as a smile on his face and chip-kicking the ball around the filed.

Moi:  Could be a lot of truth in that, JF

JF: So what am I saying? B&F's are important but they aren't everything. Depending on what you value it will seem very or not so important.

Moi:  Value it or not, some respect for the player IMO who earned that reward playing for the greatest club of all time lol wouldn’t go astray.  To be so totally ignored after one week into a new season, under a new coach, with a third of the list turned over, etc, etc, shows not only great disrespect, but complete ignorance.

MT: IMO the B&F awards lose some of their gloss because they reward players who have one great year as opposed to rewarding a player who consistently performs at a high level over his whole career. It's only when a player wins a few of them that you can say it's a truer reflection of a player's standing.

Moi: True, but it’s an annual award and you can only go on performances for that year.  Guys like Merv Keane may never have achieved awards, and it’s a shame he has no B&F to his name.  Sucks when you play in an era when there were so many great players around you, but his deeds are always remembered by me.  More talent than Andy Kellaway, but pretty similar type of person – always reliable and just did the team things.

MT: Fair point Moi. If the criticism is balanced and more along the lines of analysis it's more interesting to read than a one-liner saying player X is once again a total dud.

Moi:  It’s also contagious MT.  As soon as one person starts calling a player a dud, then everyone hops in for their go.  Heaven help Tambling, Deledio and any of the others who don’t perform tricks from the word go, because they will be crucified.  It’s unfair, and it puts so much pressure on individuals.  I know for a “fact” some players read these forums.

MT: Still you know that our most experienced, high profile and highly paid blokes will cop it the most when they have a poor run of games and it's hard to defend a performance like on Sunday. Just getting slightly off topic - In some ways the Club is more to blame than the player himself as they agree to what to pay the player and for how long do they sign-up the player for when contracts are up for renewal. Finally last year we put our foot down with Ottens and said you'll only get paid in line with what you offer to the team. If you don't like it good-bye.

Moi: Pretty spot on MT about the money players are paid, but even the most highly paid player has bad runs of form, injuries and other variables which means they cannot perform at their peak every week.  And I’m glad the club told Ottens to pee off.  He had a bad run of injuries – back, ankle – and I wouldn’t bag him for that.  But for someone who wanted to stay at the club so much lol, and couldn’t take a pay cut due to his bad form and went for the almighty dollar, I’m glad he’s gone and deserves all the criticism he gets.  We were very patient with him, and he repaid us with total disrespect for the wasted time and effort we put into him waiting for some kind of payback which we never got.  Give the guy heaps.

It’s also 20 plus years of frustration, I know that.  But if we don’t support the club and players a bit more, and show some kind of
understanding for circumstances that lead to bad form or whatever, we will remain a bottom of the ladder club.  I know it’s too much for supporters to show encouragement, but a bit of understanding over a longer period than a week wouldn’t go astray.
Doesn’t mean we have to mollycoddle them either.  Criticise them if they deserve to be criticised, but I hope ppl show more understanding in the future.

I know it’s never going to happen – just my beef at the moment.  I will get over it “eventually” lol.

Sorry about the colours - i was bored lol
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 10:14:48 PM by Moi »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 11:52:08 PM »
ROFLFMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What a reply  :rollin  :lol  :rollin :thumbsup  :bow

Just regarding some things you said:

I’m glad you rate them highly, JF, because I’ll remind you of it every time you bag Joel or Gas lol.  Only kidding  ;D  Everyone has their own opinions on players, and B&F players are not above being scrutinised – it’s the total lack of respect for players who’ve won the award, and because they’ve been down on form, injured, had the bad form to get older lol or whatever, they’re considered totally useless again, and memories of their achievements are totally forgotten – again, no respect for the medal or the player.

lol Froars, I guess I agree here with MT in that B&F's only speak for one year. And I suppose the argument could be run that one good year is just one good year so I guess that explains to an extent supporters being ready to bag Joel Bowden. What I can't understand is how some who continually do well in the B&F counts, like Campbell who has 7 finishes in the top 2 of the award, continually gets bagged.

Regardless, it is even alarming that people can turn on a sole B&F winner after one bad game. I suppose there's some truth, as far as some supporters go, in the old adage 'you're only as good as your last game'. But really it is rediculous.

At the same time it can be humurous. lmfaooooo@hatred. everyone likes to get stuck into someone else. half the times when i bag someone it's exaggerated just for effect. i'm sure others do likewise.  lmfaooooooo@Ox giving Bowden schit before the first game was played this year! ROFLFLFMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what a funny mo'fo.

Moi: It’s called respecting the player and his achievements, JF, and being loyal to someone you have obviously admired.  It’s annoying to some people because they don’t understand the concept of loyalty, achievements and the fact that Richmond players aren’t robots.  If I could form arguments like you do lol, you reckon I wouldn’t have a go back if I believed in something so greatly.  Good luck to you, I reckon, and stand up for what you believe in.

:cheers  :thumbsup   :bow

I know for a “fact” some players read these forums

pm's are in order here if you know of individuals that do it.

lmfaooooooo@Nathan Brown google searching his name on a daily basis. Vain bastard.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 11:55:26 PM by JohnF »

froars

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 12:10:18 AM »
lmfaooooooo@Ox giving Bowden schit before the first game was played this year! ROFLFLFMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what a funny mo'fo.
Yeah, and in the next breath sticking up for Pettifer lol
Go figure!

PM on the way JohnF

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 01:13:46 AM »
llmfaoo! There's no substitute for pure hatred. Reason doesn't come into it.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 08:35:25 AM »
I have just read a thread on another forum saying that getting Troy Simmonds was the biggest mistake - after 1 round.  I agree with Moi, it is disheartening to read the constant bagging.

I also agree with the comment about the Brownlow.  The year that Buckley, Riscuitto and Goode's won it was a joke.  Next they will have six people tying for first place.  Two I can handle, three's too much.  Should have just given it to Riscuitto and Goode :P

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 03:59:24 PM »
Sorry Moi, can you say that again :rollin.

Moi: As much as I agree with you MT, TS’ point about staying focused and motivated when a team is down, is not only a great achievement, but it’s also sets standards for others to follow.  Never a greater example than Joel last year when he took his demotion to the seconds, and instead of whinging he had been dropped, absolutely did everything to ensure he wasn’t going to be dropped again, and, as a consequence, was rewarded.  With that example, doesn’t matter to me that we finished last, or that Joel might never reach those heights again, it was the effort he made in that season that deserves a bit more respect and given more than one week before he is put on the endangered species list again.  Again, ppl just totally ignore that effort, and again, show no respect for the award.

Agree with all that Moi but the nature of the beast is to rate those who star in good sides far ahead of those who star in poor sides. Just look at the Club's team of the century or those inducted into the H.O.F. as immortals. Most come from the successful periods of 1920-1944 and 1967-1982.
Moi:  Value it or not, some respect for the player IMO who earned that reward playing for the greatest club of all time lol wouldn’t go astray.  To be so totally ignored after one week into a new season, under a new coach, with a third of the list turned over, etc, etc, shows not only great disrespect, but complete ignorance.

But if we don’t support the club and players a bit more, and show some kind of  understanding for circumstances that lead to bad form or whatever, we will remain a bottom of the ladder club.  I know it’s too much for supporters to show encouragement, but a bit of understanding over a longer period than a week wouldn’t go astray. Doesn’t mean we have to mollycoddle them either.  Criticise them if they deserve to be criticised, but I hope ppl show more understanding in the future.

Reminds me of the sweeping generalisation of the difference b/w Tiger and Pie supporters: Most Pie fans including their president blindly think their players including their duds are champions while alot of Tiger fans think most of their players are duds even if they are decent footballers lol.

Moi: True, but it’s an annual award and you can only go on performances for that year.  Guys like Merv Keane may never have achieved awards, and it’s a shame he has no B&F to his name.  Sucks when you play in an era when there were so many great players around you, but his deeds are always remembered by me.  More talent than Andy Kellaway, but pretty similar type of person – always reliable and just did the team things.

Sadly one year won't convince the baggers as they think it's only 1 good year out of how many when it comes down to our senior players. Also most of our senior blokes aren't the type to dominate games so it gets back to John's point of spectacular over workhorse. Possibly Richo is our only player capable of winning a game off his own boot. 

Moi: I know for a “fact” some players read these forums.

Why would they ???. It'd be like taking fitness advice from some guy at a game sitting on his bum in the stands with a beer in a plastic cup in one hand and a pie in the other with sauce dripping down onto his shirt covering his pot belly!

ps. PM please Moi ;D

Moi: It’s also 20 plus years of frustration, I know that. 

That is the main reason IMO. The Club carries this baggage. If we had won a flag say within the last 5 years it'd be easier for the Club and supporters to be patient while we rebuild.

LOL @ our Freo supporter in disguise  ;)  ;D

froars

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 09:55:05 PM »
All i know is if we lose to Hawthorn on the weekend, i will be MIA meditating for a week and you fellas can go to town.
Dreading this game  :help

Agree with all that Moi but the nature of the beast is to rate those who star in good sides far ahead of those who star in poor sides. Just look at the Club's team of the century or those inducted into the H.O.F. as immortals. Most come from the successful periods of 1920-1944 and 1967-1982.
Not denying that, and they should be regarded more, as they were the best playing with the best.  I just think any honour someone gets at the Tiges shouldn't be spat on, which this award seems to be of late.  You name the last couple of winners:  Gas, Kellaway, Campbell, Joel, Cogs - all except Cogs has been bagged.  But i wouldn't hold my breath on Cogs lol

Reminds me of the sweeping generalisation of the difference b/w Tiger and Pie supporters: Most Pie fans including their president blindly think their players including their duds are champions while alot of Tiger fans think most of their players are duds even if they are decent footballers lol.
Well, maybe we should get onto some of the stuff they're taking lol

Sadly one year won't convince the baggers as they think it's only 1 good year out of how many when it comes down to our senior players. Also most of our senior blokes aren't the type to dominate games so it gets back to John's point of spectacular over workhorse. Possibly Richo is our only player capable of winning a game off his own boot. 
Yes, consistency in performance is all i ask, and Joel has gotten off to a bad start.  And don't think i wouldn't get stuck into him if he went back to his lazy ways, but at least i'd give him more than a week.  Geez we're rotten supporters!

LOL @ our Freo supporter in disguise 
No colours tonight - i'm feeling very beige lol

Joke time:

What's the difference between a wife, a lover and a prostitute?
The prostitute says "come on luv, faster, faster, haven't got all day"
The lover says "oh, slower, slower, mmmm"
The wife she says "beige ... mmm, i think i'll paint the ceiling beige"

LMAO@me  :rollin

OUt of here lol  :-[

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 03:42:56 AM »
All i know is if we lose to Hawthorn on the weekend, i will be MIA meditating for a week and you fellas can go to town.
Dreading this game  :help

You'd think it won't be as bad this week given expectations will be low so supporters may not be as bitterly disappointed as last week even if we lose. As much as I want us to win, I'm just as interested in seeing the whole team actually follow the gameplan this week for the whole game and show some intensity at the ball and opponent with the ball. Something we only did for the first 20 minutes. The first quarter is going to be all important. Whichever side gets a break will most likely go on and win.

I just think any honour someone gets at the Tiges shouldn't be spat on, which this award seems to be of late.  You name the last couple of winners:  Gas, Kellaway, Campbell, Joel, Cogs - all except Cogs has been bagged.  But i wouldn't hold my breath on Cogs lol

You're right Moi. They all seem to come into the firing line. Supporter expectations of a player rise after winning individual awards especially if accompanied with a better contract.

With Gas it is always over his 2001 contract. Kellaway is nearing the end of his career as well. It's been a while since 2000. He copped alot of flack in his younger days because he was unfairly lobbed in with Duncan and his helicopter kicks.

I don't think Cambo is getting as  bagged as much as he use to. There use to be a fair bit of animosity over him almost walking-out back in the late 90's as well as the perceived competition between him and Knighter. Maybe the flack has dropped away because the "defender of the faith" is always lurking nearby to stick up for "Weeny"  ;)  ;D.

Joel copped it for his brain implosions pre-2004 (especially 2003). He was just quiet on the weekend rather than back to the 2003 version.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 01:38:30 PM »
I don't think Cambo is getting as  bagged as much as he use to. There use to be a fair bit of animosity over him almost walking-out back in the late 90's as well as the perceived competition between him and Knighter. Maybe the flack has dropped away because the "defender of the faith" is always lurking nearby to stick up for "Weeny"  ;)  ;D.

It's a sad day when you are forced to defend a 2 time All Australian, 4 time best and fairest, 3 time runner up best and fairest winner.

But if it's a cross I'll have to bear then i'll gladly do it  :thumbsup