Author Topic: Tigers need to act early - not rashly - regarding Hardwick's new contract (Age)  (Read 4862 times)

dwaino

Don't shoot the farmer if the cattle are rooted. Dimma has cleaned out 30+ spuds and has been making baby steps and recruiting has been good. I guess some people feel differently, but to me this will be his first real year coaching with a serviceable list and some long term prospects, and getting in some of his own blokes to help coach. I'm all for holding off contract extensions until at least mid year but more for performance reasons. One year if 2012 is poo, two if we make more progress, etc.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Hardwick & the Boys should only focus on beating Carlscum round 1. If he's able to do it then give him another year extension.
 :gotigers
Eat 'em Alive.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
through the support from family and friends i made
it...but i will tell anyone please get checked and a great doctor
(ex RFC doctor) who was persistent....im 46 so guys if you
have family history of this dont delay it especially if you are over the
of 40 as well...as its a slient killer...

Sage advice. Plenty of us here in that boat.
Good to hear you're on the mend.
Hope the Tiges put in a great season for you to enjoy.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Would have to get a 3 year deal if we are in the 8, if not a two year deal, but would like to see him signed up earlier rather than later.

Perhaps if he was deservedly signed early others in the team may also want to committ.... :whistle

If and it is an if - we finish in the bottom 4 or 5 this season there couldnt be any EXCUSE to extend the coaches contract beyond a year, if he is lucky.

He is doing an "okay" job and we will discover if this has been an outstanding base in about 6 months.

Honestly, losses to GWS, GC, Power and even Brisbane to some extent are simply not acceptable results anymore.

Nor are 100 point defeats to Carlton.

I get all the arguments about list development but we need to draw the line somewhere because some of these arguments sound very supportive of perpetual mediocrity
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Thanks WP.... yeh its been a terrible year..wasnt expecting to be informed
of the cancer but life likes to take detours we all dont like
but it makes us stronger in the end....

didnt get to see much football last year
hoping to watch my beloved tigers climb
the mountain thats in front of this great club...
ROugh as guts!  Did you have to do the whole Peter McCallum thing?  I hear you can get a blood test now and avoid the old Hopoate inspection.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Thing is we have a list that is just as capable as any team ie Norf Ess that could fill the 5th - 8th spots on the ladder so if those teams make it and we don't something aint working!
Time for excuses is over !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame

ROugh as guts!  Did you have to do the whole Peter McCallum thing?  I hear you can get a blood test now and avoid the old Hopoate inspection.

I've heard a number of times that the blood test is very unreliable,lots of false positives from memory, which causes untold unnecessary grief.

The hopoate way is still the most reliable method, and you get to spend some quality time with your doc  :thumbsup
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Thing is we have a list that is just as capable as any team ie Norf Ess that could fill the 5th - 8th spots on the ladder so if those teams make it and we don't something aint working!
Time for excuses is over !!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup

You have got it in one mate

Throw Sydney in that lot as well
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame

blood test is first then the Hopoate thing to check also...then the biopsy...then the results which came back as cancer
i had no option as mt prostate had to be removed ASAP....thedn the fun and games begin....

i tell everyone if over 40-45 get checked...dont delay...= peace of mind...

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame

I've heard a number of times that the blood test is very unreliable,lots of false positives from memory, which causes untold unnecessary grief.

The hopoate way is still the most reliable method, and you get to spend some quality time with your doc  :thumbsup

doctors tend to use both methods.... as you are correct the bloods dont always tell the story...

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
this will be interesting how the club plays it as it will be
test for this admin team...

the poor bloke was dealt a crap sandwich but then again he knew
what he was getting into...

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero

If you had read my post, you would have seen that he has told people close to him that he is not interested. I guess he could always change his mind!
But I wouldn't count on it.
Any other suggestions?

No offence but until I hear him say it I wouldn't believe it and regardless I'm sure he will coach again. A season in the comm box does wonders for interest in coaching.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Gargoyle

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
Chill out dudes. Some of you here have got the knives out ready to slaughter the poor sacrificial lamb.
Hardwick has had to take one step back before even thinking of going forward, and that is what has been happening over the past 2 years, thanks to the degenerate narcissistic spinner TW, who did a fine job of messing up our list.  Hardwick has almost got rid of the detritus and started to build up a nice young list of talented players. I guess that this year is the year which will show where we're really heading. I reckon we are on course with Dimma at the helm.
As for malthouse, the guy is all washed up. The premiership he got with the wobblers was his swan song.
'A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction.'
Oscar Wilde

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
decent post til you said Malthouse is washed up.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
It is easy to say finals or bust.
In reality who is going to replace him and be a better option?
I know Malthouse is not interested (through personal contacts).
As long as the team continues to improve and plays for the coach it is unfair to put to high a hurdle for him to jump to get another contract. We must not forget that he took over a rabble, lost Richo and has had two compromised drafts to try and build a new team with.
As I have asked who else would do better?
Seriously, though another few hundred words from Caro that said well ....er.... not much at all really  ;D

Didn't really tell us anything new

I am still trying to work out if it is supposed to be a news piece, an editorial or a bit of both to cover all bases  ;D

:sleep

The conspiracist within wonders if it was a deliberate subtle media drop by the RFC hierarchy.  Or maybe someone has been just chatting to Caro and she thought she would put her opinion down about it.

Seems common sense to minimize the extension length, its not like its Northey revisited as we haven't made finals under Hardwick, so he's not negotiating from a position of strength.

When we do change coaches I think as a club we have to be mindful of our previous reputation and really really avoid eating our own.  A short contract would be easier to ride out to the end rather than chopping it, paying a lot and looking like fools.  You never know when a coach might lose the players, even Leigh Mathews lost his premiership collingwood team.