Author Topic: Tigers need to act early - not rashly - regarding Hardwick's new contract (Age)  (Read 4863 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers need to act early - not rashly
Caroline Wilson
The Age
February 14, 2012

THAT Damien Hardwick will soon be offered a contract extension at Richmond is certain. That he has done enough to deserve some security beyond 2012 is beyond doubt. That he deserves a decent pay rise is indisputable.

Less convincing is the widely accepted expectation that the Tigers should secure Hardwick until the end of 2014 when he is only now embarking on 2012, his third season as senior coach. Surely there is an argument to be mounted that it would be wiser to offer Hardwick a one-year extension or wait until the middle of the year before pushing his tenure any further.

The topic of Hardwick's contract has become classified at Tigerland as the summer has progressed although the Richmond board will certainly debate the issue when it meets as scheduled tonight.

Club chief Brendon Gale hinted late last year that the club wanted to tie up the coach beyond this season before 2012 began and yet Gale has steadfastly refused to discuss the subject since.

President Gary March told the Richmond website last week: ''Damien still has one year of his existing contract to run. We have been pleased with what he has delivered in the first two years. The club won't be discussing his contract situation. We have a process in place and we will make an announcement when we are ready to do so.''

Whether or not the sensitivity involves the terms of the new deal is unclear. Hardwick, like any senior coach, would want a longer-term extension but too often clubs jump too early to secure their coaches for too long. Heaven knows Richmond has been guilty of it time and time again.

Its recent history is not pretty in this area. Former football boss Greg Miller convinced March's predecessor, Clinton Casey, to extend Danny Frawley's deal to relieve the mounting pressure on the club and Frawley but that ended badly. Then the same duo signed Terry Wallace for five years - a long-term deal which ended in even more bitter tears and is unlikely to be repeated.

None of the above has anything to do with Hardwick, who has delivered an honest, tougher brand of modern football as well as some innovative recruiting expertise and a refusal to compromise.

He is not a salesman and yet, to date, he has carried the Tiger army along with him. He is only 39 but they hope he coaches the Tigers well into his 40s.

Hardwick has taken Richmond from 15th to 12th in his first two seasons. He goes into season No. 3 with an improved and more experienced list although Kelvin Moore's ongoing issues would suggest the backline remains undermanned with David Astbury also not yet past his injury issues. The ruck situation looks improved but hardly dominant.

Off-field, Hardwick has been forced to wait longer than anticipated for an expanded, resurfaced and fully available Punt Road Oval.

Like all coaches he would love his own reserves team but that is years away.

Hardwick's club has received a financial fillip from the AFL but remains cash-strapped and in debt.

Still he has a significantly more competent and united administration than his recent predecessors.

Melbourne and Essendon, to name two, jumped the gun in recent years extending Matthew Knights and Dean Bailey respectively too early and for too long without a pressing reason. The Gold Coast is on the verge of announcing a two year extension for Guy McKenna before his final season has begun and yet the Suns are in a unique situation as a brand new club which must establish firmly unity and the building of relationships as a top priority.

Hardwick's close friend, Alastair Clarkson, had to wait until August last year - his last in the previous contract - to be offered a new deal.

He was a little frustrated at the potential distraction and became highly sought after but in the end he stayed, taking Hawthorn to a narrow preliminary final loss in the meantime.

Naturally, Hardwick deserves more time, especially given what he inherited and yet Richmond's on-field performance must improve again this year.

It seems unnecessary to hand the young coach what would, in reality, be a new three-year deal when a two-year security blanket looks more than acceptable.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-need-to-act-early--not-rashly-20120213-1t2dd.html#ixzz1mHCQsE7Z

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Would have to get a 3 year deal if we are in the 8, if not a two year deal, but would like to see him signed up earlier rather than later.

Perhaps if he was deservedly signed early others in the team may also want to committ.... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Perhaps if he was deservedly signed early others in the team may also want to committ.... :whistle

:nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
The speculation will grow but Dimma has just got to focus on the task at hand.
If we do well there will be no issue with his contract situation.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:05:47 AM by Mr Magic »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Seriously, though another few hundred words from Caro that said well ....er.... not much at all really  ;D

Didn't really tell us anything new

I am still trying to work out if it is supposed to be a news piece, an editorial or a bit of both to cover all bases  ;D

:sleep

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
No Excuses!

No finals = no extension!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
No Excuses!

No finals = no extension!

spot on

although if we pull a Freo of 2010 and suffer big injuries to key players yet still perform admirably i would give him a year extension.

Il accept 1 excuse and thats the one.

Outside of that we must play finals. If rubbish teams like Nought and Essendon can so can we

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
It is easy to say finals or bust.
In reality who is going to replace him and be a better option?
I know Malthouse is not interested (through personal contacts).
As long as the team continues to improve and plays for the coach it is unfair to put to high a hurdle for him to jump to get another contract. We must not forget that he took over a rabble, lost Richo and has had two compromised drafts to try and build a new team with.
As I have asked who else would do better?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame

I haven't really seen a great deal of imagination from Hardwick yet as a coach. Will be looking for some more strategic moves from him this season.
He needs to improve as a coach just as he needs his players to improve for him.

10 FLAGS

He has done an excellent job so far. He took over a complete rabble. People placing minimum hurdles are not taking into consideration what Hardwick inherited. I would sign him now to a contract with a higher wage in 2012 and extension years in 2013 and 2014. In effect a 2 year deal because 2012 he is already contracted.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
He has done an excellent job so far. He took over a complete rabble. People placing minimum hurdles are not taking into consideration what Hardwick inherited. I would sign him now to a contract with a higher wage in 2012 and extension years in 2013 and 2014. In effect a 2 year deal because 2012 he is already contracted.

What if we finish 15th or worse this year?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
It is easy to say finals or bust.
In reality who is going to replace him and be a better option?
I know Malthouse is not interested (through personal contacts).
As long as the team continues to improve and plays for the coach it is unfair to put to high a hurdle for him to jump to get another contract. We must not forget that he took over a rabble, lost Richo and has had two compromised drafts to try and build a new team with.

Interesting points. I don't quite agree with you on "who's going to replace him and be a better option"

But do agree with you on this "As long as the team continues to improve and plays for the coach it is unfair to put to high a hurdle for him to jump to get another contract. We must not forget that he took over a rabble, lost Richo and has had two compromised drafts to try and build a new team with."

I know people don't want to hear it or even acknowledge it because some deem it as an excuse but reality is we have one of the youngest lists in the comp and it is still developing.

Some are pinning their hopes on players that are coming into just their 2nd season of AFL footy (Conca, Batchelor, Helbig) others just their 3rd (Grimes, Astbury, Giffiths).

Big ask for kids who've only been int he system 18-24 months to carry us to finals.

Have said it many times we lose any of our top players we are going to struggle... not an excuse just reality of where our list is right now as we rely so heavily on Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Reiwoldt, Newman

And before people start jumping up and down saying I'm just making excuses. I will repeat again what I've said previously...

Can we make the 8 - YES but we need alot of things to go our way and injuries is a major key
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:18:55 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
\n
\nHe has done an excellent job so far. He took over a complete rabble. People placing minimum hurdles are not taking into consideration what Hardwick inherited. I would sign him now to a contract with a higher wage in 2012 and extension years in 2013 and 2014. In effect a 2 year deal because 2012 he is already contracted.\n
\n\nWhat if we finish 15th or worse this year?\n

To quote john worsfold- wont happen.
Unleash the tornado

10 FLAGS

What if we finish 15th or worse this year?

Considering what he inherited I would say that he should be judged more on list development than where we finish. I think we will only win 10 games this season but in doing so we will see more improvement in terms of the list and the respective development of the player group.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
He has been pushing crap up hill with the compromised drafts, wasn't an ideal time to be rebuilding a team from scratch, and yet, we see promise in what was achieved, probably more so than in the past. 
Lots of people name their swords......