Author Topic: Jay Schultz you IDIOT  (Read 9559 times)

Offline Hammerfire

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jay Schultz you IDIOT
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 06:01:09 PM »
The club has decided it is innapropriate to suspend Schultz as he is on the long term injury list but instead have left it to his peers the playing group to take further action against him, it will be interesting what they come up with.

I just hope it isn't left to Brown, Simmonds and Campbell to inflict the "punishment" on Jay!

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 06:01:32 PM »
The club has decided it is innapropriate to suspend Schultz as he is on the long term injury list but instead have left it to his peers the playing group to take further action against him, it will be interesting what they come up with.

seems to be to be pretty weak that

its like letting a bunch of preps decide on the punishment for a school mate

his punishment will probbly be he has to supply all the booze at the next booze up

i dont think he should be sacked but he should be suspended until half way through the year or even longer..
something more than the token punishment he will get...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RFC official statement on Jay Schulz
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 06:16:43 PM »
Official statement on Jay Schulz
5:10:38 PM Thu 31 March, 2005
richmondfc.com.au

The Richmond Football Club is well aware of the responsibility that it has to uphold the law and set an example to the community.

The Club has many young players on its list and we have spent considerable time working with them on education of key social obligations, particularly the drink-driving message of the Transport Accident Commission, which has been a key partner of the Tigers for more than 16 years.

It is therefore with great regret, that the Club advises Jay Schulz was this morning charged with driving a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol limit exceeding .05, but less than .07, as well as driving over the speed limit.

The incident occurred at 1am in Malvern Road, Prahran. Jay fully co-operated with police, and has subsequently been fined and had his licence cancelled for six months.

It goes without saying that the Club is bitterly disappointed with Jay’s actions. While Jay is only 19, he is in his third season with Richmond and throughout that period he has been educated numerous times on his social responsibilities, including road safety and drink-driving.

The Transport Accident Commission’s key messages are “Drink, Drive Bloody Idiot” and “Wipe off 5”. These are messages which we believe are of great importance in society and the Club has gone to great lengths to ensure that these messages are broadly published in the community. Richmond’s commitment to road safety messages through education, training programs, country, hospital and school visits is extensive.

Jay has not only let down the Richmond Football Club, its members and supporters, but also a long-term partner of the Club, the community as a whole, and himself.

The Club has fined Jay the maximum allowable under the AFL Player Code of Conduct, which is $5000. We believe this is inadequate and we would have fined him more if we could. Furthermore, the Club will ensure that Jay undertakes extensive work with victims of road trauma to further understand the types of outcomes this unacceptable behavior can lead to.

Jay has asked us to apologise to the Club’s members and supporters, key partners, the community, and especially the Transport Accident Commission. He knows he has let everyone down.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=193148

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 07:30:56 PM »
I saw Channel 7's news and they showed Jay leaving Punt Road Oval with his manager Liam Pickering who uttered something like....

"it's fair to say the young bloke is feeling pretty low at the moment"

FFS!!!!! pretty low - give me a break.

I can think of 750K reasons why we all should feel pretty low at the moment :banghead :banghead :banghead

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 07:35:43 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 09:10:42 PM »
CEO Steven Wright will be having talks with TAC in the next few days in regard to the situation of the club following Jay Schultz's drink driving charge. I have to admit when i first came across this news I blew my top to say I was peeed off would be an understatement.

Having had a few hours to digest the matter I have calmed down and after at first believing the TAC would pull their sponsorship now think seeing it is only a 1 year deal they may just fine the club, the fine of course would be substantial and there would be further conditions put on it.

As for Sarge I guess he'd be feeling pretty crap at the moment and is still to find out what his teamates have in store for him and it could get worse for him if the TAC withdraw it's sponsorship. I live in hope the talks with the TAC go well and that means we only cop a fine around $100,000 dollars.

I don't know what the players can do to him, make him play for coburg for the rest of the year after he's over his injury. I don't think they can impose a financial penalty.

If this costs us the sponsorship who knows what the consequences will be for Schultz.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 09:23:41 PM by Roar »
GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 09:40:09 PM »
First off the bat is that these young kids should not be held up as role models and kids that look up to them as anything other than just the kid next door need more direction.

The other thing is these kids(Players) are old enough to know thier responsibilities  - especially in this case with our sponsor and past events. If it comes down to keeping the sponsor or player it has to be the sponsor. That is the way it is these days and more than ever now the club is BIGGER than the individual.

I was trying to wait for this - Thanks a bloody lot Jay youv'e brought him out to early in the season for mine  :banghead :banghead

Drink Drive Bloody Idiot  :banghead
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 03:40:05 AM by CUB »

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 11:07:51 PM »
Jay Schultz you are a bloody idiot.

That just about sums it up.

I do not think sacking Jay from the RFC is the solution at all AND This behaviour is the perfect reason the TAC need to sponsor an AFL Club and in particular Richmond (with a young list).

It highlights the very important point that if you drink and drive, you pay the consequences, no matter who you are, or when, why or how you have broken the law.

Unfortunately for Jay, in his position, he should know better.  His fine is significant, his name is tarred, his punishment is tough, and his rehabilitation will be much more thorough than most that drink drive.

As a healthcare professional having dealt with Transport Accident victims before, there is nothing more gut wrenching and awakening than seeing what damage drink drivers can do.  Jay has to go through this, and my only wish would be that he continues to spread the "drink drive bloody idiot" message to all and sundry for the rest of his life because of his behaviour.

I hope the TAC can see the opportunity to promote the message that this bloody idiot has underlined.

And I am sure the RFC should make an example of Jay, and promote the TAC message throughout Jay's rehab.

Stick with RFC - It promotes the full message.  Punishment - Rehabilitation - Future promotion of the message

Drink Drive Bloody Idiot.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »
Ok is it just me or have I missed a major sticking point.......he is 19!?!?!??! Meaning his reading should be .00. This is even more farcical than what I thought........
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2005, 02:14:35 AM »
I do not think sacking Jay from the RFC is the solution at all AND This behaviour is the perfect reason the TAC need to sponsor an AFL Club and in particular Richmond (with a young list).

It highlights the very important point that if you drink and drive, you pay the consequences, no matter who you are, or when, why or how you have broken the law.

Agree LT although after another incident the TAC may lose patience. The media has them dumping us but let's wait and see what comes from the meeting between the RFC and TAC.

Jay's stupidity shows that you will be caught if you D&D and/or speed even at 1 am in the morning.

Ok is it just me or have I missed a major sticking point.......he is 19!?!?!??! Meaning his reading should be .00. This is even more farcical than what I thought........

Yep....Sarge is a P-plater. 

Where was he drinking? If he was with "mates" at a pub why didn't they stop him from driving home.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to lose sponsor - Caro
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2005, 03:46:24 AM »
Tigers to lose sponsor
By Caroline Wilson and Lyall Johnson
The Age
April 1, 2005

Footballer Jay Schulz has cost the Richmond Football Club an estimated $500,000, with the Transport Accident Commission expected to sever ties with the Tigers as early as today.

The TAC, reeling from the Victorian Easter road toll, will end its multimillion-dollar 16-year sponsorship with the club.

This follows Schulz's drink-driving and speeding transgression on Wednesday.

Schulz, 19, who has an ankle injury, has been fined the $5000 maximum allowed under AFL Players Association rules.

He told the club he was picked up by police in Malvern Road, Prahran, at 1am on Wednesday, travelling at 80 km/h in a 40 km/h zone and recorded a blood alcohol level of .065. Schulz, a probationary licence holder, has lost his licence for six months.

He is the second Richmond footballer to have violated the TAC sponsorship conditions - Royce Vardy was charged with drink driving in 2001.

The TAC, Richmond's major sponsor since 1989, now shares that role with Motorola and had re-signed with the Tigers for 12 months. There were conditions to the agreement, with every employee at the club having training and acknowledging the sponsorship rules.

Richmond chief executive Steven Wright yesterday refused to say how he thought the TAC might react, but said he would meet the commission soon.

"We've spoken to the TAC several times today but it's too premature to make any comment about the outcome," he said. The TAC targets young men and women with a road safety message in its attempt to reduce deaths on Victoria's roads. The 2005 road toll stood late yesterday at 106, including eight deaths at Easter and a triple fatality yesterday, 22 more than at the same time last year. The TAC deal with Richmond is worth an annual $600,000. The club has received the first instalment of about $200,000 but stands to lose the remaining $400,000 and a further $100,000 in incentives.

Richmond football manager Greg Miller said he would have liked to have fined the player as much as $15,000 "given our relationship with the TAC as the major sponsor".

Schulz will face the players this morning, who are expected to impose a further penalty.

Miller said the match committee would discuss a ban on drinking for players. He said the offence was unlikely to cost Schulz his career at Punt Road Oval and there was no point suspending him, given that he is not due to play again until midway through the season because of injury.

"I don't think it will affect his future but it is certainly (something) he is going to have to carry for the rest of his football life," Miller said.

The loss of a sponsor could not come at worse time for Richmond, which lost more than $2 million in 2004.

The TAC board was split last year when it voted to enter into new agreements with Richmond and Collingwood. The Magpies' current one-year deal is worth about $750,000. The club also violated its sponsorship agreement last year when player Jason Cloke was caught speeding and lost his licence.

Another former Richmond player, Ty Zantuck, was booked last year for driving while talking on a mobile phone but the sponsor took no action.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/03/31/1111862536555.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Schulz puts TAC deal in doubt - Herald-Sun
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2005, 03:50:39 AM »
Schulz puts TAC deal in doubt
31 March 2005   
Herald Sun
By Adam Cooper of AAP

RICHMOND'S sponsorship with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is once again in grave danger after Jay Schulz became the second Tiger in four years to lose his licence for drink-driving.

Schulz, 19, was pulled over at 1am (AEST) today in inner-suburban Prahran and charged on summons with driving with a blood alcohol level of between .05 and .07, and speeding.

He had his licence cancelled for six months.

The 21-game player, currently sidelined with an ankle injury, is believed to have been on his way home from a friend's home when he was pulled over.

Richmond immediately fined the promising utility player $5,000.

The Tigers were so furious their 16-year association with the TAC - which uses the motto `Drink, Drive, Bloody Idiot' - was at risk, they wanted to impose a far greater penalty.

"Given our relationship with the TAC as a major sponsor and the education process and all the things we've been through, I think five grand is the maximum fine under the (AFL Players') Code of Conduct and I think it's too low," said Tigers football director Greg Miller.

"Somewhere in the order of 10 ($10,000) or 15 ($15,000) would have been more appropriate, I would have thought.

"We're shocked because he's a fine young man and he's been in the system three years, so the amount of education he's had on this has been extensive ... and our relationship with the TAC is paramount to our ongoing viability, and unfortunately, Jay's let us all down."

In December 2001, former Richmond player Royce Vardy also jeopardised the club's TAC sponsorship when he was arrested with a blood alcohol level of .14.

The Tigers suspended Vardy for the 2002 pre-season before the TAC fined Richmond $50,000 and imposed a zero tolerance regime on the club.

That means the current year-to-year deal - worth an estimated $750,000 annually - might not be renewed at the end of 2005, if it lasts that long.

Richmond officials will meet with TAC representatives over the coming days to discuss the issue, but neither party would speculate on possible ramifications today.

The TAC said in a statement it viewed the incident "extremely seriously and has expressed its anger and bitter disappointment" to Richmond, and would consider all penalties.

The TAC said it was fortunate no-one was killed "as a result of Schulz's actions".

Richmond chief executive Steven Wright said it was premature to comment, but made clear his anger with Schulz.

"It's totally unacceptable behaviour and Richmond have an obligation, not only through the TAC, but through our own community network, to be fine upstanding citizens in the community and to do what he has done was totally irresponsible and I made it clear to him in no uncertain terms," Wright said.

Miller will discuss a ban on drinking with Richmond's football department, but dismissed claims the club had a drinking culture.

Former players Nick Daffy, Brad Ottens and Andrew Mills were all arrested in 2001-02 over alcohol-related incidents.

Schulz's manager Liam Pickering said his client understood the magnitude of his actions.

"The kid is, as you'd imagine, feeling pretty low at the moment and he's made a big mistake," Pickering said.

"So from a club perspective ... he'll have to face the playing group tomorrow and the coach and that's part of the game, and as far as the TAC is concerned it's not a great message to send and he knows that, so hopefully we can move forward from here."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12714942%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Schulz puts TAC deal in doubt - Herald-Sun
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2005, 04:04:59 AM »
Where was he drinking? If he was with "mates" at a pub why didn't they stop him from driving home.

The 21-game player, currently sidelined with an ankle injury, is believed to have been on his way home from a friend's home when he was pulled over.

Anyone heard of calling a cab  :help

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2005, 08:19:43 AM »
Ok first of all, I'm not happy that Jay has put our sponsorship deal into jeopardy.  Secondly, as a non-drinker, I think he was mad to be over the limit when everyone knows that P platers have a 0.0 limit.  But I wonder whether having TAC as a sponsor has placed too much pressure on our young guys, especially those that like the odd drink or two.  If we still had Tetley or Esso as a sponsor it wouldn't be a problem.  Didn't Collingwood receive a big wrap over the knuckles with the Cameron Cloke incident or did Eddie managed to get as little publicity as possible?  Also we have Silver Top Taxi as a sponsor - how come they haven't issued cabcharge vouchers to the players?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Schulz puts TAC deal in doubt - Herald-Sun
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2005, 08:33:24 AM »
"We're shocked because he's a fine young man and he's been in the system three years, so the amount of education he's had on this has been extensive ... and our relationship with the TAC is paramount to our ongoing viability, and unfortunately, Jay's let us all down."

This is why I am so angry.

But I wonder whether having TAC as a sponsor has placed too much pressure on our young guys, especially those that like the odd drink or two. If we still had Tetley or Esso as a sponsor it wouldn't be a problem. Didn't Collingwood receive a big wrap over the knuckles with the Cameron Cloke incident or did Eddie managed to get as little publicity as possible? Also we have Silver Top Taxi as a sponsor - how come they haven't issued cabcharge vouchers to the players?

Who's to say they haven't been issued with cab vouchers?

But we have 3 sponsors TAC, Motorola & Silver Top Taxis. Who along with the club have been trying to promote road safety. He has a mobile phone, like we all do and all members were advised prior to the first Wizz Fizz Cup game of a special Silver Top number to get quick cabs - the players were told too.

Quite frankly there is no excuse for this.

As for C'wood - Eddie McEverywhere said last night on the Footy Show (yes I watched it for the first time in 2 years) that after last season the Pies were put on notice too by the TAC.

Geez I am so peeed off it aint funny :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2005, 08:50:57 AM »
sacking isnt the answer, poo he never raped, murdered or committed a terrorist act! he broke the law and should suffer the consequences, why should he lose his job , he dosnt need a licence to play footy. so if the tigers were sponsored by jim beam that would make it ok then!! no , but the tac should not pull out, this is highlighting the message and giving the tac more exposure. they sponsor the club and dont own the club, if they pull out they should pull out of the pies too, they are known to speed there also , i wont mention his name,rip, but u all know who im talking about, he killed himself smashing into a truck ! jay hasnt done that!

jay should be punished, forced to do charity work with victims from drink driving accidents and learn from his mistake. i bet there are pl at the tac who have been nabbed for drink driving, polititians, lawyers etc, they dont lose there jobs!

if the tac pull out they are hypocrits!

if i were the tigers i would get investigators and publicly humiliate all tac staff that have been nabbed for speeding and/or drink driving! ie of course if they pull out of our sponsorship!