Author Topic: Is It The Umpires or AFL?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Is It The Umpires or AFL?
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
Honestly the game that we lost against North there were a number of people saying it was the umpires that made/helped us lose....

Is it really their fault or is it the fact that they can't keep up with the rule changes.

Really their are so many rules in our game now and they change every years it any wonder thet stuff up.

Then the rules they try in the NAB seem to get carried into the season proper because and some they haven't been implemented, it's just that they forget.

Isn't it time we started blaming the AFL for the continual changes instead of the umps?
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Re: Is It The Umpires or AFL?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
I would suggest that the complaints about umpires, much like the rest of the problems in our society, come about because 90% of people are morons.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
I would suggest that the complaints about umpires, much like the rest of the problems in our society, come about because 90% of people are morons.

:rollin :thumbsup

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
have had to umpire a few games in the past, its not easy.
Rule changes make it hard,
Being in the right position at the right time is very hard.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
have had to umpire a few games in the past, its not easy.
Rule changes make it hard,
Being in the right position at the right time is very hard.

I mean you only have to look at at holding the ball......do they know what it is these days? Also haven't they changed the rule for players pushing the ball under another player to try and get them done for holding the ball??

Be interesting to see if th remember that with the other 4,000 rules they have to know.

"Rucks:

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:42:56 PM »
1. Political Correctness
2. People in authoritative roles being precious
3. People in authoritative roles not focussing on the issues people/ constituents are concerned with but rather focussing on looking at ways in which they will be remembered most likely in a derogatory way once they have moved into the next phase of their careers.
4. People who want to make themselves bigger than that they are governing.
5. When you alienate a section of the demographic that supports what you govern ie the rank and file traditional footy fan who has been going for decades for the support of the new fan who 10-15 years ago thought footy was bogan ball and now go due to corporate support and something to talk about on a Monday morning in the tea room over a scotch finger then these new fans believe everything they hear that the footy only began when it was known as AFL in 1990 and not sired on the footy fields of Southern Australia before the 20th century then that is a problem as well.
6. Miking up umps to make them bigger than the players whose play they should be adjucating on doesn't help. Good authority is neither seen nor heard unless they need to be.
7.When umpires adjudicate to an agenda to keep one team in a game b/c it equates to a windfall or just merely an intimidation to the ump because one bloke is a superstar of the game and the other bloke is a rookie then what example does that set to the rest of society.
8. Making people feel guilty for thinking a certain way and then expressing it in words or print is manipulation of the highest form.

The problem is deep rooted. This current administration has changed the game more than the previous admins of Wayne and Ross put together. Sure the money has grown but the essential rules and the traditions of the game are being threatened by the power mongering of a lawyer who in truth would be lucky to get a game in an Industrial Sunday League Pub side.

The fish rots at the head my friends and WAT there is your answer mate. Blame Adrian Anderson he is the main problem here and the chopping and changing of rules has destroyed a footballers natural instinct and confused the crap out of him. This is tantamount to telling a predatory big cat to not go after deer and gazelle and become herbivorous. Just unnatural and inhumane if you ask me. When fans and players are confused at the new rules and then authority mumble fumble and stumble their way through explaining these rules that were brought in, in haste without any logical reasonable and clinical research regarding anything but merely because of a perceived trend then the AFL and their rule makers are solely and squarely to blame. :thumbsup

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »
The holding on Petrie was just a pathetic decision and lost us the game.  Just bad umpiring in the end.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
Good post tucker... Agree with ya
Unfortunately it seems there's no slowing down for AA and the havoc they are causing to our game
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
I thought we got a couple of lucky ones against Hawthorn. all in all, the umps do a pretty decent job, all things considered. Thats not to say that i agree with the consistent 'softening' or our game, but the umps are only the puppets of Demetriou and his posse.
Sometimes though, you just dont get any luck and the decisions repeatedly go against you,  as was the case with the North game. There were countless terrible decisions that really hurt us: Grigg's 'throw', Rances 'in the back', Derrick's unpaid arm-chop. We really were crucified by the umps in that match. If it were a H/A game i would be mighty peeved off.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »
I've seen emotions get the better of judges at Olympic Games.
And just watch the Eurovision song contest.

I still think emotions can overrule common sense.

Offline Sabretooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
......... but the umps are only the puppets of Demetriou and his posse.

If you think of the puppets being Chucky, when it comes to Richmond, you're on the mark!  :help

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
It could be worse. Watch Rugby Union for a bit. Boring game butchered to death by technical penalties dished out by referees who sit quite comfortably within TBR's 90th percentile.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
It could be worse. Watch Rugby Union for a bit. Boring game butchered to death by technical penalties dished out by referees who sit quite comfortably within TBR's 90th percentile.

Should definitely do something about the penalty kick at goals