Author Topic: copyright on AFL merchandise?  (Read 2890 times)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
copyright on AFL merchandise?
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
Hey gang! Not sure if any of you can help with this but I was just musing with a friend over the possibility of creating our own range of 'vintage style' afl merchandise - simple hats, beanies and bomber jackets ect.
I'm sure the AFL have serious copyrights over these things, but would does anyone know if we can use the colours of the teams and the words - ie. 'Richmond Tigers'? or RFC? Or maybe just 'Tigers'?
Are the old logos such as the vfl one below still under copyright?

Again, you probably will have no answer to these questions, but any info or suggestions to where i could find some answers would be much appreciated. I dont know where to start with this poo.

Cheers, y'all.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: copyright on AFL merchandise?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »
I reackon they would be under copyright Will. the club has merchandise with the old logos on it. even a set of pins going back years

You could probably do something up for yourself but doubt you could sell it.

I bought some embroided badges with that logo a while ago on ebay. I think they had been cut off something.

Tigers is pretty generic so you'd probably get away with that.

Richmond tigers, you could always argue that it was the water polo team you are referrring to. I

If you're serious about putting a fair swag of cash in and truly concerned then a copyright lawyer may worth the dollars to tell you what you need to know
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »
Cheers, Al.  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Hey gang! Not sure if any of you can help with this but I was just musing with a friend over the possibility of creating our own range of 'vintage style' afl merchandise - simple hats, beanies and bomber jackets ect.
I'm sure the AFL have serious copyrights over these things, but would does anyone know if we can use the colours of the teams and the words - ie. 'Richmond Tigers'? or RFC? Or maybe just 'Tigers'?
Are the old logos such as the vfl one below still under copyright?

Again, you probably will have no answer to these questions, but any info or suggestions to where i could find some answers would be much appreciated. I dont know where to start with this poo.

Cheers, y'all.

The short answer is you cannot do it.

Unless you pay the AFL a licensing fee then you cannot produce or market any product using any logos or anthing that references to the name the Richmond Tigers, RFC etc. These are all registered trademarks & copyrighted by the AFL.

Try it at your peril but if the AFL find out about it hey will come after you  ;D

So regarding the logo above - the answer is yes the AFL still "own" it and use
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »
hmmm. Thanks, WP.
Sounds like they have a pretty serious hold on these things. i wonder if there are some ways around it. perhaps hats with the colours and just the words 'tigers' on it? I guess i'l have to consult a legal professional to uncover those kinds of details.

Anyways it was just an idea. Thanks for the advice.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:09:04 PM »
Slick Willy, if you fart and it resembles the Tigers club song the AFL will sue you for breach of copyright.
Id been leaving it.
I like the idea though.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
Slick Willy, if you fart and it resembles the Tigers club song the AFL will sue you for breach of copyright.

Exactly

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:24 AM »
You could always contact the AFL and find out what type of $$s are involved in their "licencing fees".  Might still be financially viable even after tacking that on.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:00:20 AM »
You could always contact the AFL and find out what type of $$s are involved in their "licencing fees".  Might still be financially viable even after tacking that on.

Significant

Sliding scale depending on what you want to produce. But I have heard it starts in the 10's of thousands for the small ones and for companies like KooGa, Adidas in the 100 of thousands

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »
All Richmond IP is owned by AFL

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
i dont believe its a problem as long as you dont use the logo's that are under copyright..  There are many, many designs that can be represent the tigers that, because of them being a generic picture can be insinuated as Richmond..  There is a design i have that has Richmond rebels on the back and is more about the suburb of Richmond but is in yellow and black so therefore is a great top for the footy.. 

As long as you're creative and dont just copy original brands and logo's you'll be fine...  They cant copyright a yellow and black tiger.. 

But it would be nice if you gave some of the profit to the club..

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 09:55:02 AM »
You have to be very careful here, profitting from anothers brand / identity insinuated or otherwise has created some interesting legal precedents.  If you are just selling a jumper with a generic tiger on it no-one can say anything but if you are inferring in some manner that it is related to the football club or representative of the club you are treading on their identity and market.  Maccas and a few like them have taken this to some serious extremes with 'Mc.'.  Apple have tried to with 3rd party products utilising 'i' at the front, for example because it has become synonynomous with their brand and anything that is not produced by them but percieved to be related has the potential to damage their brands reputation if inferior and  to divert customers from kosher product.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
All Richmond IP is owned by AFL

yep that's the key the concept of IP

Practically covers everything  ;D

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
Cheers guys!

my spirit has been well and truly crushed!  :lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 11:53:36 AM »
Cheers guys!

my spirit has been well and truly crushed!  :lol

No guts no glory Willy, I say do it anyway! And I look forward with keen interest to reading the media coverage of your impending lawsuit.   ;D