Author Topic: Who Would You Take?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Who Would You Take?
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
Read an article on BackPageLead and it got me thinking - if you could have one player from another team come to Richmond who would it be and why?

Here is the link and the article:

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/5841-fantasy-football

Fantasy football
Jonathan Howcroft
Written on Sunday, 26 February 2012 18:43

Australian rules football has never had such an element of fantasy about it. Supercoach and Dream Team are damaging workplace productivity, GWS has baited its hook in search of the biggest fish in the game, and free agency lists have just been released, revealing which players will effectively become commodities in the coming months.

In this spirit, if your club could recruit just one player from its AFL rivals, who would you go for? Who does your club need? Who would you want your club to break the bank to recruit?

To get you thinking, we’ve suggested a player for each club, below, but make sure you add your comments at the end and let us know who you would want to see in your favoured guernsey.

Adelaide

The Crows were at their worst in 2011 when lacking intensity, particularly at the breakdown. They ranked 16th in tackles per game over the course of the year and a high-pressure midfield dynamo, someone to lead by example, is exactly what the South Australians require. Luke Ball and Andrew Swallow both spring to mind, but the best in the business right now is new Cats captain, Joel Selwood, someone former Geelong assistant, Brenton Sanderson, would know all about.

Brisbane

On paper at least, and with everyone fit, the Lions have the makings of a reasonable core. The midfield trio of Rockliff, Redden and Rich could develop into one of the game’s powerful forces but they need more firepower up front if that is to be fully realised. Two of the club’s top five goalkickers from last year have left the Gabba, while injuries continue to haunt the Brisbane forward line. With Jonathan Brown as the pivot, the Lions need a livewire to feed, and feed off, the big skipper, contributing his fair share of six-pointers in the process. Someone in the mould of Cyril Rioli or Nat Fyfe would suit, but there’s none better than the maverick Steve Johnson at the moment.

Carlton

The Blues are almost there and already boast an elite midfield. There remain doubts over key positions however, especially up forward, despite the emergence of Andrew Walker. An intelligent, prolific tall is what’s required, someone able to mark overhead or bring the ball to ground for the likes of Betts and Garlett. Travis Cloke is the obvious choice but big Drew Petrie might be more successful. His ability to crash packs and pinch hit in the ruck would make him the perfect foil for both Matthew Kreuzer and the marauding smalls.

Collingwood

When you win the flag one year and follow it up with a grand final the next, it’s hard to find too much room for improvement. That said, the departure of Leon Davis, the injury to Andrew Krakouer and the loss of form of Alan Didak has robbed the Pies of a dash of flair. Just imagine Cyril Rioli feeding off Swan and Pendlebury and delivering to Travis Cloke? Or if you’re not a Pies fan perhaps you shouldn’t, you might have nightmares.

Essendon

The Bombers have the makings of a handy unit, with some great talls and elite youngsters, but lack dash out of the midfield. James Hird’s outfit would look considerably stronger with the blistering Gary Ablett sprinting away from congestion.

Fremantle

The Dockers have another one of those squads that looks there or thereabouts. They have one of the best talls in the game, a good array of defenders and attacking midfielders but perhaps lack a reliable goalkicker. Chris Mayne led the charts last year, topping with a meagre 25, so an elite forward would be on Ross Lyon’s wish list for sure. While Buddy Franklin, as reigning Coleman Medallist, springs immediately to mind, his free running game may not compliment Fremantle’s existing talent as well as the more powerful Travis Cloke.

Geelong

Modern Geelong has always been about the sum of its parts more than individual stars so any inclusion would have to fit the Cats’ ethos of excellence. As reigning premiers there are few areas that could be improved but following the retirement of Brad Ottens, the loss of Shane Mumford, and a couple of injuries to young ruckmen, they could do with an elite tall. With Geelong still very much in its premiership window, age is no barrier for the best, which means Aaron Sandilands, or, probably, the more mobile Dean Cox.

Greater Western Sydney

Almost a redundant entry as GWS will be making this very decision over the next few months. For what it’s worth, of the big names mentioned, recruiting Scott Pendlebury and installing him as club leader looks to make the most sense. Especially compared to the other mooted options, such as the silky but often anonymous Bryce Gibbs, the powerful Michael Hurley or the versatile but often self-absorbed Brendon Goddard.

Gold Coast Suns

The Suns have already played this game, recruiting Gary Ablett, the best in the business. If they were to have another shot, back them to go for even more excitement and even more firepower to raise the club’s profile in southern Queensland - Lance Franklin, for example, the kind of character who could settle in quite nicely on the sandy strip.

Hawthorn

As one of this year’s flag favourites, any additions to Hawthorn’s best 22 will gild an already impressive lily. That said, the ruck remains an issue and despite Max Bailey’s return to fitness and the recent addition of David Hale, another big body would not go amiss. With the Hawks exceptional at clearances and with such exciting outside talent, keep it simple and go for the best one-on-one big man in the business, Aaron Sandilands.

Melbourne

Such is the distance between Melbourne’s best and worst it’s hard to evaluate exactly what they most need. The defence looks promising, the ruck looks solid and there are a smattering of decent, if not yet spectacular, midfielders and forwards. What the Demons need is cohesion and consistency. They need a leader who can drag them together, steer them up the ladder and take advantage of recent draft concessions. Luke Hodge fits the bill, maybe Matthew Boyd even, but none more so than childhood Melbourne fan and the club’s great missed opportunity, Chris Judd.

North Melbourne

Similar to Melbourne, the Kangaroos are a young group still finding their way, but in Andrew Swallow they have a club legend in the making. With strong talls, hard-ball winners and some decent outside talent, North could prosper most by adding someone with the skill to bring the ball out of defence and add both steel and class to its half-back line. Brett Deledio, Heath Shaw or Luke Hodge could all perform that task, but Bryce Gibbs best fits the requirements and age profile for this version of the ‘Roos.

Port Adelaide

Such is the paucity of talent at the Power right now they could make three fantasy picks and still not worry the top eight. Above all they need a standard bearer around whom they can rebuild a club that appears to have lost its culture. There are a few that fit this mould, the likes of Joel Selwood and Marc Murphy for example, but Luke Hodge would be the man to rally the Power troops and return the trench warfare mentality to the ailing side.

Richmond

Richmond are another of those mid-table sides lacking a spark of elite talent to set them apart from the rest. Deledio, Cotchin, Martin and Riewoldt form the nucleus of a good young side but still struggle to change the tempo of games. That’s where Dane Swan would come in handy. The Brownlow Medallist is expert at timing his bursts of influence so that they are game changing.

St Kilda

Are the Saints clinging to the hope they have a squad that can challenge, or are they on the rebuild? There is no doubting the quality individuals in the side but is the game style and the age profile realistic for a flag at the moment? If they are to challenge in 2012 the Saints require more pace and dash on the outside. The form player of 2011 to fit that criteria is Dale Thomas. Perhaps not an obvious choice but with the likes of Hayes, Dal Santo and Montagna operating centrally, someone with the energy and confidence of Thomas to spark around them could offer the missing link, as well as reduce some of the expectation on Nick Riewodlt’s shoulders.

Sydney

The Swans are a side with few weak links but also few superstars. Adam Goodes aside, Sydney are about hard work, a team ethic and performing to task, often at the compact SCG. A classy all-round midfielder, like Marc Murphy, would fit in well with his ability to both win his own ball and set his side onto the attack.

West Coast

The Eagles surprised everyone with their rapid improvement last year and have a mixture of talent of all ages and positions. The loss of Marc LeCras for 2012 is a huge blow to the club and the role of mid-sized half-forward cum attacking midfielder is one they will need to fill somehow. If they had Geelong’s Norm Smith Medal-winning Paul Chapman in their ranks they would have no such worries.

Western Bulldogs

With a new coach and a transitional squad the Bulldogs are on the rebuild. One key plank missing in the new model is a key forward to build the attack around. Barry Hall occupied this role successfully last year but has since retired. Travis Cloke and Drew Petrie would both be excellent pick ups but the pugnacious Jack Riewoldt could become a club legend in a blue guernsey, breaking all manner of goal kicking records in the process.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Who Would You Take?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
I guess it depends on whether your talking long-term player or just straight up current output.
Joel Sellwood or Buddy for me.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
Pfft, Swan.

Goldstein, Zac Smith or Leunberger would be nice.

I'd take Selwood, Pendlebury or David Swallow ahead of Swan as a midfielder.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »
Nic Nat or Hurley
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »
Nic Nat or Hurley

1. Joel Selwood
2. Scott Pendlebury
3. Luke Hodge
4. Lance Franklin
5. Dean Cox

Gigantor

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »
Buddy

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »
Nic Nat or Hurley

I forgot about NicNat!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
Yes NickNat would be my first choice followed by Kruezer. We need a mobile Ruckman to compliment Vickery in the future and for the present. A huge monster backman with poise and excellent desposal wouldn't go astray either - not many going around though.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »
Hoepfully with free agency, in a couple of years time once our team is more devoleped.
We can buy the holes to fill :shh
Eg: monster ruckman or mobile ruckman
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
I reckon we are short a gun CHB, every flag side has one
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:47 PM »
Joel Selwood
Jack Darling
Michael Jamieson
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »
Juddy

The idea is to rape the scum at every opportunity

dwaino

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »
Richard Tambling and Dean Polo.

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »