Author Topic: Tigers better by foot: Jackson  (Read 2411 times)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tigers better by foot: Jackson
« on: March 09, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
RICHMOND midfielder Daniel Jackson says the Tigers have made large inroads towards eradicating the poor kicking that has blighted them in recent years.

The Tigers have worked hard during the pre-season on disposing under pressure.

"We've got stats to show we're good by foot now," Jackson told AFL.com.au.

"A few years ago everyone thought we were terrible by foot. There's been some personnel changes but a lot of it has come with the strategies and processes in place.

"It's a lot easier to make good decisions when you know what your teammates are doing and when you're predictable.

"In the past we just didn't have that; everyone was rushed and under undue pressure. We just don't have that as much now."

The Tigers showed during last week's 38-point loss to Fremantle at Patersons Stadium in the second round of the NAB Cup that they still have work to do on their disposal, but Jackson said the players would continue to work hard to improve.

"There are always going to be mistakes, especially when you've got a young side, but I think we've shown that there's a lot fewer than they're used to be."

Richmond plays its third-round NAB Cup match against Geelong at Simonds Stadium on Saturday.

The squad has been strengthened through the return of Jackson, who was rested against Fremantle, Trent Cotchin, Nathan Foley, Daniel Jackson, Shaun Grigg and Dylan Grimes.

Brett Deledio will sit out the match but the Tigers expect him to be ready to play against Carlton in round one of the Toyota Premiership Season.

Rookie defender Piva Wright is a late replacement for fellow defender Luke McGuane, who will have a hit-out with Coburg Tigers in the curtain-raiser.
Geelong plans to again field a young team despite the return of up to five premiership players. Matthew Scarlett, Joel Corey, Steve Johnson, Corey Enright and Paul Chapman are all expected to turn out.
The Cats are fifth on the NAB Cup ladder with two wins while Richmond is 12th with one win. Geelong will need other results to go its way to make the top two and reach the final.

"Whatever Geelong bring to the table we'll just address that as we go," Jackson said.

"There's only two weeks before the big stuff starts. It's about getting things right.

"We just need to continue working on the things we've set up over summer."

He was unaware that goalkicking is expected to be difficult at the southern end because a wind tunnel has developed where the Doug Wade Stand has been ripped down as part of the ground's renovations.

"Whenever you go down to Geelong, conditions play a part," he said. "A bit of extra wind will just add another element to what is already a tough place to play."

Jackson last year had a limited pre-season after struggling to overcome hamstring tendinitis. He recovered in time for round one but his performance was hindered by lack of fitness.

This year, the 25-year-old said, he's raring to go after an injury-free pre-season.

"This is the best I've felt for a couple of years. Dropped some kilos — that's helped me get around a bit better.

"I'm looking forward to a good year. "

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130368/default.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this has already been posted just delete this thread. Anyways back on topic. Hopefully our kicking has improved but I will wait and see before judging.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Tigers better by foot: Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »
;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
Here's the video of Jacko's press conference ...

http://bigpondvideo.com/RichmondTV/428953/Jackson%20on%20Tigers%20form/

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
Interesting that McGuane has effectively been dropped for a rookie player: Piva Wright (champion bloke by the way).If he is playing in the VFL curtain raiser then that is terrible signs for the backman. The fact that he is struggling to even make the NAB squad would be a huge worry....

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »
Poor old Jacko will cop it now..... ;D...good on you Jacko.

Stripes, how did Piva play last weekend??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »
McGuane isn't in our best 3 tall defenders and we're playing close to our best team this weekend. Makes sense that he plays twos.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
Is Jackson trying to bait me?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

Yes and he's laughing at you too man. He thinks your a crap poster with a small wiener.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »

No Hardwick and Riewoldt were doing tat in the other thread.... :thumbsup

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
Spoke to a mate who knows Jacko, he kicks long and hopes for a reason.......
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Tazzytiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Tiger in my tank !
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:51 PM »
Football... If you can't kick well... why play football
F me!   

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »

From what I saw he was good by foot but made a few errors with body positioning. I saw one play where he went to take a mark rather than spoil and the result was a goal to Fremantle. Saying that though, Piva was still the superior to McGuane. McGuane made many mistakes by foot but showed plenty of tenacity. This is not enough any more though and Piva already has more size and talent than McGuane. All Piva needs is experience and a football education. Getting match practise is a positive step.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 12:23:11 AM »

From what I saw he was good by foot but made a few errors with body positioning. I saw one play where he went to take a mark rather than spoil and the result was a goal to Fremantle. Saying that though, Piva was still the superior to McGuane. McGuane made many mistakes by foot but showed plenty of tenacity. This is not enough any more though and Piva already has more size and talent than McGuane. All Piva needs is experience and a football education. Getting match practise is a positive step.

Thats great news then, gee, the size of him, with him and Rance down there....just need one more solid tall IMO, thats where Moore would of been great....

"Rucks:

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:06:58 AM »
Don't rate Dylan Grimes or Jayden Post? both way ahead of Wright

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 04:26:16 AM »
 ;D
Don't rate Dylan Grimes or Jayden Post? both way ahead of Wright

Of course I do, but Coach, Post has played a couple of good NAB games and Grimes is a bit thin, but is going to be very good.

I am only talking one more decent sized backman, I mean Mal Michael size, that's all.

"Rucks: