Author Topic: Pettifer  (Read 3720 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Pettifer
« on: April 04, 2005, 03:54:32 AM »
Tiger out to Kayne critics
04 April 2005   
Herald Sun
Scott Gullan

KAYNE Pettifer admits it's hard to take when you pick up the paper and your name is there under a story headlined: The worst draft picks ever.

So it's easy to understand why the boy from Kyabram was almost doing handstands at the MCG yesterday when he kicked the two match-winning goals to snap Richmond's 15-game losing streak.

Pettifer, 23, was taken at No. 9 in the 2000 draft and while he has battled for 38 games, those from the same draft include Nick Riewoldt, Justin Koschitzke, Alan Didak, Daniel Kerr and Adam McPhee.

"You always see in the papers saying they (Richmond) wasted a pick or they should have picked someone else," Pettifer said. "It does pee you off a fair bit and you want to have a good year and prove the critics wrong I suppose."

Yesterday will help Pettifer win over the Tigers faithful. Starting on the bench, Pettifer was lively across half-forward collecting 16 kicks with the final two – a set-shot from 30m and then a 50m bomb on the run – sealing the victory.

"It's been such a long time for us," he said. "I've copped a bit of flak over the years so I was pretty emotional . . . I didn't get to sing the song once last year."

He credits the faith new coach Terry Wallace has put in him.

"Terry backed me in," Pettifer said. "A lot of guys got the flick, a lot of my good mates have gone, like Simon Fletcher."

Wallace revealed afterwards that as Bulldogs coach he had looked hard at the promising Murray Bushrangers forward.

"The first day I walked in the door I told him that I thought he could play when I was at the Western Bulldogs and that we looked at him as a high draft selection," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12744552%255E19742,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Pettifer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 04:19:48 AM »
Kayne's still got a long way to go to prove the knockers wrong but at the moment he's doing the job asked of him well. A HF flanker scoring 2-3 goals per game is a good return. If he could keep that up that would equate to 40-50 goals for the season.

Just on his goal celebrations, it good to see some pride and passion back into the team when Richo, Deledio and co rang over to celebrate.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 07:04:55 AM »
What number did Didak go in that draft?

He's not much better in my book.

Kick on Kayne please.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:21:23 AM »
Impressed with Kanes game yesterday.  His best game so far IMO.  He is probably our best kick of the footy, always knew that, but what impressed me most was that he was composing himself more and not panicking, choosing the right option more times than not.  Some of his delivery into the forward 50 was first class.  In the third quarter he dissected the hawks with a precise delivery off the half back flank into the middle which lead to a goal.  During his last goal he showed alot of poise and summed it up well, didn't rush.  This is what he needs to do and needs to work on - his composure, and not panicking.  He has a beautiful kick and 9 times out of ten he will find a teamate whether it be long or short IF he doesn't panick and kick blindly.  Also he needs to work on his one on ones as he seems to be all over the place while fighting for the ball - he needs to compose himself, show urgency and keep his head over and eyes fixed on the ball.

Keep it up Kane.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:40:41 PM »
Well said Harry. Kayne's one of the most precise kicks especially over long distances at the Club. Showed that towards the end of last year when he was asked to do the kick-ins. He's gone from cetain delisting to reasonable player since then.

Agree about not panicking Harry. Something that has been a problem for him at RFC. Use to run around like a headless chook. I reckon he's made a effort to put his body on the line now. He doesn't shirk contests although I agree he needs to work on his 1-on-1 skills. When Everitt had a free in the centre in the last quarter but was held up Kayne let Hodge get away despite having plenty of time to man-up. Still a rare mistake in a very good game from Kayne.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 07:47:48 PM »
To me right now he is nothing more than another Adam Houlihan and at this stage that's probably a compliment to him.

If he puts together a solid year kicking 30+ goals and gets about 15 touches per game I'll reassess. This little punk owes us big time.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 01:01:48 PM »
This little punk owes us big time.

Cant agree with that. When you dont give him a run in 3 years what do you expect? You say gee in 5 years he hasn't come along. Well gee Spud how about giving him a run and seeing if he should be gone or not.

I expect him to continue as he has and to prove critics wrong this year. Time will only tell.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 02:30:30 PM »
I think he should have done a lot more (in previous years) for the time that he has been on. The biggest problem has been that he has shown himself to be a soft touch in previous years and was IMO rightfully given short thrift because of it.

I do hope he comes good though. Encouraging first couple of weeks. Has a lovely kick.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 04:41:28 PM »
This is the year OR bust.

He's skilled and has a football brain but has been lacking in confidence and match time.(funny about that :shh)

If he continues to present an improvement on last year,which was prob his best thus far,
we'll be in for a bonus.

I've swung to Kanes side.

Cmon kid,stick it up us all !! :thumbsup

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 05:28:28 PM »
He is on the edge of the team at the moment in my opinion.

Fair dues, he has kicked a few each game, and I am very happy with his last 5 minutes of football this year where he has looked dangerous when he has the pill.

But to me, thats just 5 minutes.  He plays on confidence, so lets hope he can get himself more ball and do some damage with it.

Saying that of course, there are 3 or so far worse offenders in the team at the moment than him

You know who you are Tiv, Andy K, Krak.

Bulluss

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 07:17:28 PM »
I was speaking to a guy at work today who knows Kayne,

he said that he has been going out with this beautiful model for a while now and he thinks that she has calmed him down a lot and brang him back to earth. This combined with the fact that he has also matured a little with age.

I agree with most comments in the fact that he still has a way to go, but in saying that you cant really fault him too much so far this year. I seen him play a couple of practise games and he also played fairly well in those.

Will be interesting if he continues to improve if he gets the chance to play a little in the middle, where he dominated at under 18 level.

Good luck Kayne

letsgetiton!

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 08:34:14 AM »
To me right now he is nothing more than another Adam Houlihan and at this stage that's probably a compliment to him.

If he puts together a solid year kicking 30+ goals and gets about 15 touches per game I'll reassess. This little punk owes us big time.

u r a bit harsh on kayne as u r many players in our team, maybe u could do better!!!!
now how could kayne give us better servixce in th epast whe dumb stuff df was coaching.
i know 4 a fact df hated kayne and never gave him a chance, and when he did , he was on and off the ground, on and off!
he is by far the best kick in our team, he just was never given the chance by that moron coach we had, tw believes in him, he has showed that already and kayne will become the best hff in the afl , wait n c!

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 09:52:59 AM »
Here is an interesting question that will cross-reference two current topics:

Pets is currently in his 5th year. Kraks in his 3rd.
Who do you feel has been given the most opportunity at our club and who has grown the most?

I know its hard to judge because they have been at the club for different lengths, but frankly Kraks has an exceptional talent that Pets does not, so I figure it counters for the two-year that Pets was NOT played.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 12:47:23 PM »
Here is an interesting question that will cross-reference two current topics:

Pets is currently in his 5th year. Kraks in his 3rd.
Who do you feel has been given the most opportunity at our club and who has grown the most?

I know its hard to judge because they have been at the club for different lengths, but frankly Kraks has an exceptional talent that Pets does not, so I figure it counters for the two-year that Pets was NOT played.

Sorry OM - Krakouer and Pettifer were drafted in the same year - 2000 - along with Newman, Hyde and Coughlan.  They've had the same amount of years.  It's Kraks 5th year also and he better lift!
2001 - Rodan
2002 - Schulz
2003 - Hartigan, Roach, Raines, Jackson, Gilmour, Archibald, Tuck, Morrison
2004 - Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison, Polo, McGuane, Limbach, Graham
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 01:52:26 PM »
Please tell me your joking.........