Author Topic: 'Rude' Demetriou 'blocked' Tassie bid (Age)  (Read 1376 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Rude' Demetriou 'blocked' Tassie bid (Age)
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:58:49 AM »
'Rude' AFL supremo 'blocked' Tassie bid
Peter Hanlon
The Age
March 22, 2012

HAD there been a sliding doors moment, this week's spotlight might have been on them, and the people who drove Tasmania's push to secure the AFL's 18th licence remain convinced their bid was doomed from the outset because of the prejudice of one man - Andrew Demetriou.

As Greater Western Sydney prepares for Saturday night's historic debut, key members of the steering committee that piloted the Tasmanian bid in 2008 have recalled meeting every criteria asked of them by the AFL, only to be treated with contempt by the league's chief executive as he pursued an inevitable course of installing a team in a rugby league heartland.

''Quite frankly, it's time [to speak up] - the way that he dealt with it was less than becoming of a person in his position,'' Paula Wriedt, who was then Tasmania's minister for economic development and tourism, told The Age.

''The AFL were blocking it, and when I say the AFL I mean Andrew Demetriou.''

Wriedt recalled visiting AFL headquarters with the state's then-premier, Paul Lennon, to present their case, and being ''dismissed as if we were unimportant'' by the league's chief executive, whose behaviour she described as unprofessional and rude.

In contrast, she said AFL commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick had been ''very cordial'' and ''really, really positive'' in their dealings.

''I've never seen anyone speak to a premier like he [Demetriou] spoke to Paul Lennon,'' Wriedt said.

''[It was] to the point of actual bad manners. You don't get the premier of a state to come to AFL headquarters, not advise your front desk, and leave them waiting at the front desk for 15 minutes while the media are filming through the glass while we're hanging around like Paul was nobody.''

Read more and full article at: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rude-afl-supremo-blocked-tassie-bid-20120321-1vkbt.html#ixzz1pldruzLW

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 'Rude' Demetriou 'blocked' Tassie bid (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
arrogant little turd.
see him in that footy show with matt rendall the other day, lounging back with an aura of arragance like king Canute (perhaps the proper spelling, an anagram of that unmentionable word, is more appropriate for andy) , ordering the tide not to come in? At least king Canute realised he wasn't as high and mighty as he thought, when the water lapped at his throne.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »

''I've never seen anyone speak to a premier like he [Demetriou] spoke to Paul Lennon,'' Wriedt said.

Read more and full article at: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rude-afl-supremo-blocked-tassie-bid-20120321-1vkbt.html#ixzz1pldruzLW

Was Demetriou rude, or was Mr Lennon upset that he couldn't put his snout in the trough like he did with Betfair and Gunns timber?

Ox

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
they can ALL suck on my danglers.

Water and people find their own level.

LMAO@ the woman having a cry about a sexist pig but the woman deserving it because she's an annoying dog.

Care salesmen the lot of 'em.

stuff orf!!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:55 PM »
Yeah stitch em together like the human centipede
Lots of people name their swords......