Author Topic: Richmond defender Luke McGuane a wildcard to face Carlton (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2093 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond defender Luke McGuane a wildcard to face Carlton

Howard Leigh
March 25, 2012

RICHMOND defender Luke McGuane could be a wildcard for selection in Thursday night's blockbuster against Carlton after yesterday's quality showing for the Coburg Tigers in their opening VFL round against the Northern Blues.

Playing across halfback, McGuane had 25 disposals (12 kicks, 13 handballs) and took nine marks to play a significant role in his team's 11.11 (77) to 9.10 (64) victory at the Coburg City Oval.

Coburg coach Adam Potter described McGuane's input as "outstanding", declaring he could be knocking on the door for Richmond selection this week.

"He has been waiting for his opportunity at AFL and he definitely put his hand up," Potter said.

"Luke's attitude has been fantastic and I am sure he will be be able to add to his 84 AFL games."

McGuane said his pre-season had been interrupted by groin surgery.

"I played a bit in the NAB Cup, but I lacked match fitness. Hopefully, I can get my place back in the Richmond and stay there for the rest of the year," he said.

Coburg was on the back foot after losing Richmond players Ben Griffiths with concussion and Brad Helbig before halftime.

The Northern Blues also had their injury worries, with big forward Levi Casboult involved in a collision with Tyson Biffen in the first quarter.

Casboult was helped from the ground with what could be a serious injury to his right knee.

He went to the Northern Blues dressing room at quarter-time for medical observation.

Casboult is to have a scan in the next 24 hours.

Richmond list player Jeromey Webberley, with 24 touches, Matt White and Jake Batchelor, both 20 possessions, and Dandenong under-18 recruit Todd Elton showed good skills.

Coburg's big-man strength of Andrew Browne, Angus Graham and Tom Derickx took control in the third quarter when they shot out to a 27-point lead.

The Northern Blues' standout was midfielder Brock McLean, who had 30 touches (13 kicks, 17 handballs) working in and under the packs.

McLean, last year's Northern Blues best and fairest, hopes to step back into the talented Carlton midfield.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/richmond-defender-luke-mcguane-a-wildcard-to-face-carlton/story-e6frf9jf-1226309131136

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
God I hope not

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
McGuane and Webberley were standouts in that game for Coburg.

That was of concern. Lets just hope we don't have too many injuries this year.

Ruanaidh

Thanks but no thanks. He will however be a good back-up this year if others get injured.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
The northern bullants must reckon the Brock McLean trade was the best ever
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
We may as well just gift-wrap the result to Carlton if this is the case  :banghead

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not gonna happen, sorry McGuane, but can't blame Potter for trying to get him out of the Coburg team.  :wallywink
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not gonna happen, sorry McGuane, but can't blame Potter for trying to get him out of the Coburg team.  :wallywink

:lol

But in all seriousness TA, it sounds by all reports that Potter would have been grateful for him being there yesterday.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Just spat my coffee all over me new i pad.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
McGuane certainly has the talent to be a consistent contributor at the highest level with Coburg but I'm not sure he is applying himself enough to deserve a place there.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Richmond defender Luke McGuane a wildcard to face Carlton (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
this is the fortunate position we are in right now with quality players knocking the door down creating a backdraft of pressure....working beautifully :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
Post will make CHB his  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
Let him play for Coburg.

Post has been admirable in the role during the pre season and much better than McGuane.

Let Post have first crack.

If according to this bozo who wrote the article McGuane is a chance what of Batchelor's prospects. :shh

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
mcguane has no chance of playing next week

bookmark it

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
I was there yesterday & after a poor first quarter Luke was BOG for mine, will he play on Thursday ? IMO no,he needs to play several good games to get a look in.

Other observation,Gus was poor for 3 quarters but played a blinder in 3rd quarter, Browne was good all day,Arnott tried but wasnt great,Webbs solid all game,Piva went ok,white was poor in first,Potter had a go at him at the first break as Lambert his direct opp had 4 clearances in first, to his credit he was pretty good for rest of game,Tom D was ok,O)anlon did some nice things.

Hopped on tram from Richmond and ended up chatting to a bloke who turned out to be Dale Ellis, Brandons dad, nice bloke and is confident Brandon will play on Thursday, also chatted to Gibson Turner in rooms after game ,nice kid who went pretty well in the seniors
Hungover still !!!, will post more as I remember !,