Author Topic: Tigers need to believe (Geelong Advertiser)  (Read 461 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers need to believe (Geelong Advertiser)
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
Tigers need to believe

Brad Johnson
Geelong Advertiser
March 27th, 2012

BELIEF is a massive thing in footy.

It was back in 1997 when it arrived for the Bulldogs. We thought we were a good side, but defeating the powerful West Coast in Perth in one of the early rounds gave us confirmation. We had finished 15th the previous year, but in one night, we all had a genuine feeling that we were a real chance to take some big steps that year. We bonded as a group over a few celebatory beers in Perth, our momentum built and we ended up making a preliminary final.

I get the feeling the Tigers are that one big win away from generating that inner belief.

It's time for Richmond to take down that big scalp and get the Tiger juggernaut rolling.

While we should always be careful to over analyse pre-season form, from what I have seen of the Tigers in watching them live three times in the NAB Cup, they are a realistic chance to again be part of September action.

There is something about them that has made me stand up and take notice. The game style has been the most impressive thing  their pressure has increased and they are playing the forward press really well. This was highlighted in the third game against Geelong at Simonds Stadium. Once they got it in their forward half it didn't come out easily.

Already, their numbers are on the rise.

Last year, Richmond ranked 12th in generating scores from turnovers created in the forward half. It ranked fifth in NAB Cup in this area.

And, tellingly, once it got the ball inside 50, the Tigers scored goals 31.4 per cent of time, ranked number one in the NAB comp over the summer.

Their kicking has also improved. which is the other important thing. They are not making that one critical error which brings them unstuck.

I think it is a common misconception these days that the Tigers are a poor kicking side. This current crop has been branded with the same tag as Tiger teams of the past.

Last year, the Tigers had a 67 per cent kicking efficiency, above the league average of 64 per cent. It was where they made their kicking errors that hurt.

In the pre-season, not only did they lift their kicking efficiency to a very healthy 68 per cent, they were cutting down the error count in dangerous places.

Guys like Rance, Griggs and Houli have clearly worked hard over the summer in this area.

For Richmond to be a contender Jack Riewoldt and Dustin Martin need to become elite. Some would argue they already are. Either way, they need to have big years, along with Brett Deledio, who is already elite.

The big difference that I have noticed over the summer, however, has been the arrival of ruckman Ivan Maric. He is your classic old school ruckman who is aggressive and makes those around him walk taller.

Against the Cats, with big Ivan throwing his weight around, suddenly I noticed the Tigers around the packs bumping and crashing into the hard Geelong blokes like Chappy. All the top teams are tough. The Tigers need to reach that level.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/03/27/316181_footy-columnists.html

Offline Gargoyle

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers need to believe (Geelong Advertiser)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
Good article. Johnno has hit the nail on the head.
Our team has shown vast improvement in all physical areas with many players piling on the kgs and improving their stamina and strength. We have also improved on our decision making and in the successful execution of our passing the ball. However, there is that one last piece of the jigsaw that is missing - the players belief in themselves and their abilities. Without this psychological element, we can hit targets with the ball all day, but ultimately it's our minds that will decide if we win or lose.
'A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction.'
Oscar Wilde

TigerTimeII

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »
just hope we dont choke

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »
Grigg, Johno. Not Griggs, you gimp.
You are paid to write these articles and you cant even get the players name right.