Author Topic: Richmond vs Collingwood - Round 2  (Read 19052 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Collingwood - Round 2
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »
by what measure were colonwood one of the youngest in the comp last week?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
I'd say Jolly and Ball are their oldest players al just off the top of my head.

They did have four first gamers.

Add Fasolo who is a second year player.

Thomas, Pendlebury would be 23-24 also.

Not exactly old overall but the team they had out on the park on Friday was quite young.

I'll take Tony's word on face value. :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
wasnt suggesting he was wrong, just curious as to whether it was based on average age or games played, or number of players in certain bracket etc.

averages, for instance, can be misleading in these things.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 11:32:42 PM »
by what measure were colonwood one of the youngest in the comp last week?
Average age they were younger than us but their median age was higher. Experience wise Richmond had the 3rd least experienced side during round 1 by far (only GWS and GC's sides not surprisingly had played less games combined)

Average Age and total games - Round 1, 2012.

St Kilda     26y 260d
Geelong      26y  28d
Hawthorn     25y  96d
Adelaide     25y  32d
Fremantle    25y  28d
West Coast   25y  27d
Essendon     24y 344d
Carlton      24y 298d
Sydney       24y 292d
W.Bulldogs   24y 255d
North Melb.  24y 178d
Melbourne    24y 165d
Brisbane     24y 130d
Port Adel.   24y  12d
Richmond     23y 317d
Collingwood  23y 186d
Gold Coast   22y 162d
GWS          21y 109d

Richmond's median age is less than Collingwood's though. Looking at the 11th oldest player we have Shaun Grigg (23y 322d) and Dale Thomas (24y 283d).

Under22  Over23
Collingwood   9        11
Richmond      7         8

St Kilda    2688 games
Geelong     2298
West Coast  2199
Sydney      2080
Carlton     2062
Hawthorn    2057
Essendon    2018
Fremantle   1870
W.Bulldogs  1833
Adelaide    1830
North melb. 1769
Collingwood 1697
Port Adel.  1659
Brisbane    1651
Melbourne   1641
Richmond    1557
Gold Coast  1009
GWS          643

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
Jeez look at St.Kilda.

They are shiggered.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
AFL site is tipping the Pies by 32 points.

Preview: Collingwood v Richmond
By Jennifer Witham and Paul Daffey
afl.com.au
Tue 03 Apr, 2012

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Saturday April 7, 7.40pm
LAST TIME: Collingwood 24.17 (161) d Richmond 13.12 (90), round four, 2011, at the MCG

Both clubs will be looking to rebound after round-one losses. The Magpies fell away in the final quarter against Hawthorn on Friday evening and lost by 22 points, and the Tigers dropped off the pace against Carlton and went down by 44 the night before. Richmond has not beaten Collingwood since round 19, 2007, with the Magpies on a four-match winning streak.

Collingwood
1. The Pies were horribly inaccurate against Hawthorn early on, with Travis Cloke, Chris Dawes, Darren Jolly and Alex Fasolo contributing to the 2.7 score at the first break. After one game there's no reason to panic, but it did allow the Hawks to remain in the game despite the Pies' midfield dominance and will be something Nathan Buckley won't be keen to see repeated.

2. Dawes will play his 50th AFL game this week. His career started after arriving at Collingwood in the wake a knee reconstruction in his final year of under-18s, and he didn't reach the milestone last year because of a broken knuckle. It will be interesting to see where he plays this week after former coach Mick Malthouse cast doubt on his ability to fill a part-time role in the ruck. If Cameron Wood comes in after playing VFL last week, it's likely Dawes will remain closer to goal.

3. How many regular Pies will return? Chris Tarrant, Dayne Beams, Ben Johnson and Wood all played in the VFL on the weekend and got through without incident after injury-plagued pre-seasons, while Alan Didak didn't appear anywhere but trained strongly last week and appeared on the verge of playing. Then there's Nick Maxwell, whose commitment to mending his injured ankle has been well documented. According to Dale Thomas, he's closer to playing this week than he was against the Hawks.

4. Speaking of Thomas, he's one of a few senior players who will be looking to make more of an impression this week. The usually flashy midfielder was very quiet against the Hawks, with just one possession in the first quarter and only five in the second to end with 19 and two goals. Harry O'Brien was also down on form and appeared rattled after half-time following opponent Cyril Rioli's second quarter that will be talked about for the rest of the year.

Richmond
1. The Tigers have two big questions confronting them regarding the Collingwood team. The first is who to play on Cloke. Jayden Post has played at centre half-back during the pre-season and against Carlton in round one but he is a project player and his form doesn't inspire confidence that he could handle Cloke. The most likely choice is Alex Rance, who has the mobility and strength to match the Collingwood star. Rance might, however, feel a bit lost away from the comfort of the last line of defence.

2. The second is who to play on Scott Pendlebury after the uncanny midfielder's brilliant performance against Hawthorn in round one. The most likely candidate is Daniel Jackson, who usually gets the main tagging role. A choice out of left field might be Jake King, who could be told to ignore his own game and harass Pendlebury at every turn. Then there's Dane Swan ….

3. Since arriving from Essendon before the 2011 season, Bachar Houli has given consistent, no-fuss performances that made him one of the first picked in the team. His kicking and running link play from half-back have been especially impressive. Houli this week plays his 50th AFL game. He played 26 games with Essendon before playing every match with the Tiger last season and then the first game this season against Carlton.

4. Tyrone Vickery had two kicks and one handball against Carlton and took one mark. Surely, he must improve this week against Collingwood, especially given the Magpies' problems with their undermanned defence. Vickery finished fifth in Richmond's best and fairest last season. This week he must show why.

AFL.com.au prediction: Collingwood by 32 points

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132203/default.aspx

dwaino

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »

AFL.com.au prediction: Collingwood by 32 points

That's rather flattering.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
Am i the only one who thinks we can win?

dwaino

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »

I reckon there would be more that think so than attend a Demons game

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »

So in my No Excuses thread you questioned me; did I really think we are a better team than the Blues........now all of a sudden we can beat the Pies, are you for real?????
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »
Collingwood veterans Chris Tarrant and Alan Didak trained on Wednesday and are rated a chance to face Richmond on Saturday night, but captain Nick Maxwell will wait another week.

Tarrant, who has been slowed by a foot injury, played in the VFL along with Ben Johnson, Dayne Beams and Cameron Wood last weekend against Geelong. The quartet could all be considered to face the Tigers at the MCG.

Full article at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132308/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Less hype, same desire for Foley (afl site)
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
Less hype, same desire for Foley

By Paul Daffey
afl.com.au
Wed 04 Apr, 2012

IF RICHMOND was worried about the hype before last week's opening-round match against Carlton, it seems it has little to worry about this week.

It’s as if someone emptied the well of expectations after the 44-point loss to the Blues. All the talk of the Tigers aiming for their first finals appearance in a decade is gone.

Richmond midfielder Nathan Foley faced a desultory half-dozen journalists at Wednesday's press conference at Victoria Park.

A gentle breeze floated past the old grandstands as he batted back a few questions about last week's loss and this Saturday night's game against another premiership chance in Collingwood, again at the MCG.

"It was a disappointing result against Carlton," he said. "We didn't get to play the game on our terms at all, with the exception of a patch in the third quarter.

"It'll be good to get out there on Saturday night and try to put in place what we want to do."

The Tigers this week welcome back Jake King from suspension. And apart from three on the long-term injury list — Kelvin Moore (hip), David Astbury (knee) and Brad Helbig (foot) — they have a full list to choose from.

Foley said he and his teammates had been hugely impressed with Scott Pendlebury's game at the weekend. Pendlebury dragged Collingwood within sight of victory before Hawthorn surged to win by 22 points.

"He was sensational," Foley said. "In the air, on the ground, he was just winning the footy. He's one of the elite players in the comp."

But the Richmond midfielder was unable to shed any light on who might be assigned to counter the Collingwood star.

"Gone are the days of the complete lockdown roles. You need everyone playing a form of team defence and playing offensively as well," he said.

Foley added that unspecified measures would be in place to curb power forwards Travis Cloke and Chris Dawes. And the ploy of playing Jack Riewoldt upfield was working well.

But given the restraints of these affairs there was little else to say. Only if the Tigers knock off the Pies will the urgency over Richmond's season return.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132320/default.aspx

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

If we do it will be a win for the ages. Here's hoping!

dwaino

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »
David King  :wallywink on 360 said this might be a scare game for Collingwood with their weakness being our strength. That's with Collingwood having key defenders out, including Maxwell ruling himself out today. McClure took his standard fervent anti-Richmond stance by stating that our defense won't hold their forwards either, which followed with smirks all round. Unfortunately it's pretty true. People played up our forwards having it over Carlton's undermanned defense too. Look how that turned out.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »
Smirks all round eh??
Who is on this show?
Which city do they produce it in?
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S