Author Topic: More face the axe  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
More face the axe
« on: May 27, 2004, 02:20:25 AM »
More face the axe at Richmond
By Greg Denham, Australian Football
May 27, 2004
THE transformation of the Richmond Football Club, which began yesterday with the sacking of club chief executive Ian Campbell, will lead to the axing of coach Danny Frawley and most of his foot ball department at the end of the season.

Following the Tigers' 78-point thrashing by Port Adelaide last weekend, their fifth loss in the first nine rounds, director of football Greg Miller is expected to be one of the few survivors at Punt Road.

The retention of Miller could have a dual purpose should Richmond attempt to lure Carlton coach Denis Pagan away from Optus Oval, where he is in the second year of a three-year contract.

Miller was the chief executive of the Kangaroos when Pagan was coach and the pair were the major instigators of the club's 1996 and 1999 premierships.

Richmond's overhaul began yesterday with Campbell's axing after little more than 12 months in the position.

The Tigers are believed to have already earmarked Campbell's successor. President Clinton Casey will act in an interim role, as he did in 2002-03, before the new appointment is made official.

With five wins from his past 23 games, the Richmond board has lost patience with Frawley and most of his support staff.

It is believed at least seven players will be also told to leave, including high-profile full-back Darren Gaspar, who is under contract until the end of 2006.

Gaspar, who has struggled for form since a knee reconstruction last year, could be enticed back to Perth with West Coast yesterday confirming it would bid for his services at a reduced price.

For the past 16 months, at the insistence of Casey, Richmond has put most of its financial resources into a football department which has not achieved required results.

Campbell has left Punt Road after presiding over financial losses in consecutive years and a boardroom crisis this year in which three directors resigned.

"It was probably a mutual thing," Casey said yesterday. "We have got a heavy business plan moving forward which requires a special skill-set. It is an enormous task and Ian thought it best he move on, and we agreed to that."

Casey said he had canvassed sponsors and the AFL executive about a replacement. "The CEO's position is very intricate; you only have to look at the turnover to realise how tough it is," he said.

"We will find the person to fast-track us back into the black. We know the sort of person required and I don't expect it to be months before he is in place.

"In a funny way, it's a perfect time. Membership is all but done, sponsorship locked down and now we focus on next year's figures.

"When you make senior appointments, you don't like to make mistakes. It can hurt you, and this one hasn't worked out."

Richmond's most recent profit – slightly more than $300,000 – was in 2002 under chief executive Mark Brayshaw.

After an operating loss of more than $1.2 million in 2003, the Tigers are heading for a loss this year of anywhere between $1m and $2m.

Campbell informed his board before Christmas last year he expected a worst-case scenario of a break-even situation in 2004.

In March this year, Richmond's cash flow problem was so severe it sought an AFL redirection order for the first time.

The league put a $4m redirection facility in place at the ANZ Bank a month ago, allowing players to be paid on time in April.

The AFL guaranteed Richmond via its $4.08m annual dividend to all clubs.

It is understood the AFL is worried that Richmond has only enough cash to operate for another two months, before additional revenue is needed for the Tigers to trade beyond July.

Casey, who said yesterday he still had a personal guarantee of $1.6m over Richmond's debt, also said the Tigers were yet to fully activate the $4m bank redirection.

Richmond sources yesterday said Campbell's problems were his inability to generate revenue and a dismal failing to meet budget forecasts.

The Tigers' 2004 revenue is more than $1m down on budget despite a 15 per cent increase in membership from last year to 27,100 so far this season.

Richmond posted an official loss last year of $882,000, but that was flattered by a $400,000 donation from the Jack Dyer Foundation, established for capital works, but used as income for accounting purposes.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9670280%255E2722,00.html
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Fwoy

• The Epitome of Lazy
  • Future Richmond star
  • Retired from active service due to groin injuries
Re: More face the axe
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 02:34:48 AM »
Holy Sheet! What is going on down at Punt Road?  :o
For the love of God son, don't stick that up your ass!

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 03:06:32 AM »
All Hell, may well, be about to break loose :o
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 05:55:56 AM »
"It was probably a mutual thing," Casey said yesterday. "We have got a heavy business plan moving forward which requires a special skill-set. It is an enormous task and Ian thought it best he move on, and we agreed to that."

LMAOO@ "Probably"
Casey has no idea.

Pagan will be coach.

It's really sad watching this happen to us. :(

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 10:53:20 AM »
Im truely concerned  :(
My whole family on both sides were South Melbourne fans.
My old man is still so broken hearted he cant watch a game anymore,Mum has given away the concept of footy entirely.My Grandfather was a past player for them and died a bitter man over his beloved side perishing as he knew it.
I have lots of mates who are old Fitzroy fans,and most of them now watch local footy or Melbourne Storm.
Im getting a queasy feeling we are in the S#ite far deeper than we know.
How can the mighty Richmond tread such a precarious path?

Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:49:28 AM »
heres a little song i wrote, ill try and sing it note for note

dont worry, be happy

Danny Frawley will get the sack
but for the rest of the year we all will still cop flack

dont worry be happy, dont worry be happy now

Darren Gaspars been ripping us off blind
but for west coast he might be a find

Clinton Casey has no brain
most of us are wondering if he is mentally insane

a 2 million loss is bad news
watch the supporters blow a fuse

Dennis pagan as our coach?
what other kangaroo will he poach?

Campbell says punt road is too small
about time we had a meeting in Richmond's town hall

dont worry be happy, dont worry be happy now!!!!

There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 03:00:20 PM »
Absolute classic PRR  :D  :D  :D and boy do we need some cheering up  :-\
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 03:25:33 PM »

The retention of Miller could have a dual purpose should Richmond attempt to lure Carlton coach Denis Pagan away from Optus Oval, where he is in the second year of a three-year contract.

Another media speculator (from Patrick "I hate Richmond" Smith of course ::). Sounds like they have got sick of Sheedy coming to Tigerland and now have moved onto Pagan.

If it was true I'd be saying where do we sign. 4 flags from 8 Under 19 GF with North, a reserve one under Sheedy's tutelage at Essendon and 2 senior flags at North. Pagan only knows success and how to get the best out of any group of footballers. Just look at Fevola now compared to the absolute dud he was under Brittain.

It is believed at least seven players will be also told to leave, including high-profile full-back Darren Gaspar, who is under contract until the end of 2006.

Gaspar, who has struggled for form since a knee reconstruction last year, could be enticed back to Perth with West Coast yesterday confirming it would bid for his services at a reduced price.

First Daffy and Bourke then Holland this year and now possibly Gas for the next two years that we'll be paying for to play at another club ::). That would make it 5 years straight we've thrown around $200,000 down the gurgler  >:(. Thank you Mark Brayshaw!

Another speculator I can't see happening. WCE do need KP players up forward and back but I can't see them paying out most of Gas's contract as he is with his knee for the next two years.

Richmond's most recent profit – slightly more than $300,000 – was in 2002 under chief executive Mark Brayshaw.

I almost choked on my corn flakes when Patrick Smith said this morning that Brayshaw was a top CEO and we've gone downhill since he left. We only achieved a profit in 2002 due to the top up from the JDF. Plus the mess he got us in by signing up long-term overpaid contracts to the likes of Gaspar, Holland, etc..  >:(

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »
Bright Side of Life

Always look on the bright side of life.
[whistling]
Always look on the light side of life.
[whistling]

If our club seems totally rotten
And the running of our club seems forgotten
And it’s just too hard to laugh, smile, dance or sing!
When our club is in the dumps
And the admin are all chumps
Just shout and give’em the bird. That’s the Richmond Thing!.

And...
[whistling]
Always look on the right side of life,
[whistling]

We all know danny’s coaching is just absurd
But his sacking will be the final word
So lets just remember he wont go out with a bow
Because spud has made us forget how to win
And in supporters eye that’s a terrible sin
Enjoy your last 12 weeks, anyhow

So,...
[whistling]
Always look on the right side of life.
[whistling]
Always look on the bright side of life!
[whistling]
[whistling]
[whistling]
[whistling]
[whistling]
[whistling]
[whistling]
[whistling]
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 03:55:06 PM »
You're in career best form PRR  ;D  ;D  ;D

Ox

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 03:56:46 PM »
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRR!!!!!!!!

Funny how sad times bring out the artist in us all.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - Funny stuff mate
Even funnier seeing you do it - lmao

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 07:43:12 AM »
Why do all the journalists hate Richmond?   ???

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 08:19:39 AM »
Why do all the journalists hate Richmond?   ???

We sell papers >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)