Author Topic: Wallace -v- Eade  (Read 4542 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Wallace -v- Eade
« on: April 11, 2005, 03:45:19 PM »
As I walked out of the sauna oops I mean Stadium yesterday I thought about how glad I was that we didn’t appoint Rodney Eade as coach. This man invented the “flood” and I for one absolutely hate it!

If I had to sit there week after week and watch what I saw from the Doggies at times yesterday I’d seriously consider not going the game. To look up and see not one player forward of the centre circle let alone in the Dogs attacking 50 was horrible. I don’t blame the Tiger players as they were following their opponents. Then to see them chip it side to side as players ran forward – creates massive opportunities for turnovers IMO especially when you are lacking in the skill department. It isn’t exciting to watch – it is boring and frustrating.

I know our skill errors hurt us and will continue to do so in the short term but I’d much rather watch a fast attacking style of footy than “keepings off”.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace -v- Eade
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more WP. I know from some Swans supporters they were glad to see the back of Eade because of all this negative flooding "football". You never see the premiership winning team each year resorting to this crap. After 5 years of Spud if we had gone for Eade every Tiger supporter would be round the bend by now. We definitely made the right choice in going for Wallace out of the two  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »
I couldn't agree more WP. I know from some Swans supporters they were glad to see the back of Eade because of all this negative flooding "football". You never see the premiership winning team each year resorting to this crap. After 5 years of Spud if we had gone for Eade every Tiger supporter would be round the bend by now. We definitely made the right choice in going for Wallace out of the two  :thumbsup.

i also agree, eade is a monkey!

tw will develop our team to use the flood when needed but not to base our game plan around!
digs are crap as are the swans, swans flood just as much and their fans cant blame eade now! they were lucky that the lions are undermanned and unfit!

flooding sux, eade is crap , the dogs hardly won a contested possession and the stats show that! if they didnt play that crap style we would have won by 10 goals

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:23:44 AM »
All I know is that this negative style of football is painful to watch.  What’s more frustrating, getting beaten by 12 goals or watching uninspiring footy?  I don’t really understand what coaches think they can get out of having their players adopt this style, especially on a regular basis.

The doggies have generally struggled against us in the past, because of our talls, why wouldn’t we play attacking throughout the game?  In the last quarter, TW said he decided to go man on man.  I don’t understand if it’s as simple as just deciding to change tactics, why wouldn’t we do that earlier?  I’m no strategist, so maybe someone can explain it to me?

Even though it was still a struggle in the last quarter, with persistence and a bit of grit we won.  Because of that, I can take a lot more out of that win than most we’ve had in the last few seasons.

Winning by negating and limiting the opposition, rather than because we’re a better team, doesn’t inspire me to think we’re getting better.  It just says to me that the coach doesn’t think we’re good enough to play this game the way intended.  Or he’s just plain coaching for all the wrong reasons.

Until the team gets better it will be a struggle, regardless of what style we play.  For their long-term development, why not have players adopt an attacking mentality, instead of this negative mindset that curbs any initiative or flair players have.

If it’s not fun to watch, how can it be fun to play?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 12:36:11 PM »
I don’t really understand what coaches think they can get out of having their players adopt this style, especially on a regular basis.

Well for the Doggies on Sunday in the last couple of minutes it created a situation - that hurt their chances of winning. There were 2 ball ups in a row and for the first one the majority of the dogs players were hovering around the ball up - it caused the ball to be bottled up again - advantage Tigers :thumbsup For the next one Brad Johnson was running around waving his arms like a lunatic (as did Luke Darcy but the arm movements were not as severe ;D) telling his teammates to create some space - by then the damaged had been done.

I reckon their "flooding" bit them on the behind to a degree.

I suppose what I am saying is the negatvie tactics can hurt your chance of winning because the first instinct is to defend and attacking becomes an after thought

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 01:21:45 PM »
I suppose what I am saying is the negatvie tactics can hurt your chance of winning because the first instinct is to defend and attacking becomes an after thought

There are many reasons why I don’t agree with using these tactics and that’s one of them.  Coaches who use it on a regular basis are hurting their own players.  If they don’t understand that then they shouldn’t be darn well coaching.

If they don’t have any sense of responsibility towards the development of their players, those who watch it and the competition and game as a whole then they’re coaching for all the wrong reasons.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:30:14 PM by Tiger Spirit »

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »
Totally agree with the above sentiments.

It is not good watching your team lose a game at any time but when they play negative, unattractive, boring football in the process it is enough to drive you up the wall. That was my problem with Frawley once the side began to struggle. Basically he never had a plan B, as Wallace did against the Dogs.

We may be under pressure in coming months as our depth and inexperience are tested but as long as the side plays with a positive, traditional Richmond spirit then they will continue to win the respect of both supporters and opposition sides.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 02:00:48 PM by undertaker »
Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 12:37:47 PM »
You can accept if coaches use negative tactics for a short time, just to slow down the opposition if they’ve scored a few goals quickly, but to use it as the basis for winning games just doesn’t make sense.

Maybe at times coaches worry too much about winning and not enough about the other things.  As it seems to me that if coaches focus on developing and getting the best out of their players then the wins, enjoyment factor for supporters and the game as a spectacle will be looked after in the process.

How players can develop and get better by playing negative, defensive, boring, tear your hair out, inane football is a mystery to me.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 05:17:21 PM »
By basing you whole gameplan week in week out on flooding to try a pinch a win just shows the comp. you don't think you are good enough to win playing real footy. In Spud's case tryng to pinch a win didn't even come into it after we fell behind on the scoreboard. He would use flooding in some desperate attempt to limit our losses to 6-7 goals  :help

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 12:47:58 PM »
Eade admits: We flooded too much
By Richard Hinds
May 17, 2005

Understandably, Rodney Eade does not express much regret about his performance during a club-record 152 games as Sydney coach. However, as he prepares to return to the SCG for the first time with his Western Bulldogs, he admits one misgiving: "If I look back now, we did flood too much."

Rather than being a consequence of the self-examination that followed his departure from the Swans, Eade's statement is inspired by recent experience. The man who is acknowledged - and often blamed - for popularising the controversial flooded defence has had his attacking eyes opened by his young Bulldogs' exploits.

After taking charge of a team blessed with pace and skill, but low on confidence, Eade decided the best way to instil self-belief was to let his players take on a positive style of football without providing the safety net of the defensive flood.

The result has been wins in three of their past four games and an average of about 30 scoring shots a game from a team Eade claims has played virtually flood-free football. "It does make you look back a bit and think there could have been times when you didn't need to flood as much, you could have been a bit more attacking," he says.

For the rest of the article:
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/05/16/1116095905560.html?oneclick=true

Some sanity. :bow

What I don’t understand though is, why would certain players deserve to play attacking footy any more than any other group of players?  Where are those players expected to get their self-belief from, if they don’t already have it?  ‘Coles Online’ perhaps?

Wouldn’t it just make sense that this sort of approach has the potential to work the same way for any group of players?

Ox

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:08:51 PM »
Agree folks !

Wallace was always the man
(Thanks for the early info JAKSTAR)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 05:31:08 PM »
Our game was the perfect example of why flooding is pressing the self-destruction button. No side can physically keep up for 4 quarters the hard running up and down the field required to successfully flood. Eventually the dam walls bust. The Pies workrate was terrific and they perfectly pulled off what they needed to do to strangle us for 3 quarters. Problem was when they cleared from defence they had no forward line and the low scoring affair kept us in the game even though we were playing dumb crappy footy until we turned on the after burners in the last. Only 8 goals in a game of footy is a great advertisement for the game  ::). No coincidence the teams with the highest "for" this year are at the top of the ladder. Wallace understands modern footy  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 02:24:00 AM »
Rivalry a collision of egos
05 August 2006   
Herald-Sun
Jim Wilson

THE stoush between premiership teammates Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade in the build-up to today's clash at the MCG is bordering on professional jealousy.

That was the blunt assessment of the pair's former premiership coach David Parkin, who last night described both men as in a class of their own as coaches.

"There are no coaches in the game with a better grip on the direction of the game and the way they communicate it to their players,' Parkin said.

"But with that, both probably think they're better than the other. They are a cut above even Neil Craig and they would like to think they are ahead of one another."

While Chris Grant's 330th game has grabbed most of the attention this week, Wallace and Eade have stirred the pot in an intriguing verbal battle.

Grant set the mood when he left no doubt on Fox Footy's On the Couch about his feelings towards former coach Wallace.

"I've learnt more in the last 18 months under Rocket (Eade) than in my whole football career," Grant said.

Wallace was asked for his response to Grant's comments and whether his relationship with the Bulldogs champion was strained.

"I'm sure Rocket had a strained relationship with some Sydney players," Wallace said.

Wallace and Eade have also gone at it over Ryan Griffen's "they gave up" comments earlier this season, when the youngster asked about the Tigers' performance in Round 1 following their mauling by the Dogs.

The Tigers' coach said this week he wouldn't use Griffen's comments as motivation for today's game.

"What I made of it then and I said publicly was, 'Leave him alone'. He's a kid who probably hasn't thought through the process," Wallace said.

"So I don't think that's too much of an issue, to be honest. Will we be using it? No, we won't. Do the players remember it? Yes, they do."

But Eade scoffed at Wallace's claims and has no doubts Griffen will be targeted by the Tigers.

"Terry is a master of the motivational tools at his disposal and he'll use Ryan Griffen's comments from last time, there's no doubt," Eade said.

"And with Chris's game . . . there's a fairly strained relationship between Terry and Chris . . . so he'd like to spoil his party as well."

Parkin said the mind games between Wallace and Eade added another dimension to today's clash.

"Whatever their agendas, it's got everyone talking and that's great for the game," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20021870%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 02:05:14 AM »
Same goal, unique styles
20 April 2007   Herald-Sun
Trevor Grant

Comparing coaches: Former Hawthorn champion Dermott Brereton says comparisions will always be made between ex- teammates and turned AFL coaches Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade.

COACHING talent, like beauty, is often in the eye of beholder.

And according to Dermott Brereton, skin-deep perceptions, rather than talent, are too often used by people when they try to compare his premiership mates from Hawthorn, Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade.

He says Wallace, 48, is often judged more harshly than Eade, 49, because of the way he looks.

"Rodney is now a middle-aged man with a bit of a spread and a balding pate. He appeals to people in a certain way because of this and they don't want to take him down," Brereton said this week.

"Terry is sun-tanned and a supremely fit mid-40s man. He holds those looks proudly. He changed the coaching uniform at Richmond. It looks slicker now.

"There is an aspect in peoples' minds that this bloke is slick, a bit of a snake-oil salesman. They say, 'Let's not believe him and take him down when the chance is there'. But he's not that at all. He's an exceptionally good coach."

The ongoing comparison between the pair continues tonight when Wallace's Tigers take on Eade's Western Bulldogs at the MCG.

While they played together on the centre line at Hawthorn for nine seasons, which included the 1978, 1983 and 1986 premierships, there has been a perception that, as with the teams they coach, they do not get on.

"I've heard that before but I never saw any signs of that in all the time I have known them," said Brereton, who played at Hawthorn from 1982-92.

He said they were very different personalities who had different ways of achieving the same objective.

"When I played with them, Terry would die for the team. No problem whatsoever. Off the ground he was approachable, amenable, great fun to be around. But football never entered into the conversation. You really had to prise things out of him.

"Whereas Rodney was the bloke I could go and ask about any player and what to do in a situation. He'd very free-flowing and open with his advice.

"Both would do right by their teammates and the team but from a different angle.

"Actually I think Jason (Dunstall) and Terry are very similar characters.

"They were team-oriented once they pulled on the jumper but focused to the point of selfishness once they stepped outside the ground."

He said while Wallace was perceived, wrongly, as a master of spin, "Rodney has had his detractors as well.

"He can be brusque and his acid tongue has gone against him in the past. His demeanour when he was younger, as a player and coach, worked against him for a while," Brereton said.

"They are both outgoing people, but Rodney uses humour to defuse situations while Terry would want to explain things more.

"Rodney's really a rogue who has learned how to cover up that side of him, whereas Terry has a playboy streak in him as well as immense pride."

Brereton played in two of his five premierships with Wallace and Eade -- 1983 and '86 -- and regards both men as close mates and brilliant coaches.

So it was understandable he paused when asked which one he would employ to coach for his life.

"I'd be happy with both but I would select Rodney. I like the way he looks down into the fibres of the individuals he coaches so he can understand them," Brereton said, before adding that he couldn't really split them.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21586873%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 02:23:41 AM »
Rocket Eade copped it across the knuckles from Smorgon in the Bulldogs' review. Accused him of taking on too much in terms of admin and coaching and needing to improve his communication and transperancy. They've "demoted" him to just being senior coach.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22721577-5012432,00.html

A lot changes in 6-12 months of footy.