Author Topic: knobel and his presence!  (Read 2306 times)

letsgetiton!

knobel and his presence!
« on: April 12, 2005, 02:13:07 PM »
i think its time i gave knobel a pat on the back.

i recall terry wallace said he wanted simmonds and knobel and graham in the team to have big bodies around the ball to protect and help the young kids!

well knobel has been doing that! this was very much evident against the dogs as he put his body in hard , and many time crashed into packs and knock the ball fwd!  and how about in the 2nd q when darcy was pushing his weight and intimidating(or trying to) daniel jackson! it was a miss match, in age , size and experience and as darcy starting throwing his weight in, in came knobel and put darcy on his arse! good stuff! im sure tw was proud of knobels efforts

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Re: knobel and his presence!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 03:39:51 PM »
I agree  :thumbsup

I thought the big guy was great on the weekend.

He flew close to the wind in regards to giving away frees a few times, but his attack on the ball, chasing, tackling was terrific.

Now all he needs to do is get his hands on the ball a bit more and he will be a champ.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 05:44:38 PM »
Knobel output in terms of hitouts was lower this week compared to the previous 2 rounds but agree X his bullocking work on the weekend was terrific. As HT says Knobel still needs to work on getting more of the footy as well as pushing forward and taking a mark. He wasn't reknown for either at the Saints but if Wallace can get those two things into Trent's game then he'll be a very handy pick-up.

Just out of curiosity the 2005 hitouts stats stand at: Knobel 48 and Ottens 47  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:51:03 PM »
knobel is only 25 , he will get better and i bet soon he will be taking marks and kicking goals too! the saints are missing him baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 09:10:59 AM »
Yeah KNobel does throw is body around quite alot, but that's probably all he does.  He has no idea how to position himself for a mark, and almost always goes up one handed as he's usually off balanced.  How hard is it to steady, gain your balance and go up with 2 hands.  i think he really struggles to read the flight of the ball. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 08:45:29 AM »
Yeah KNobel does throw is body around quite alot, but that's probably all he does.  He has no idea how to position himself for a mark, and almost always goes up one handed as he's usually off balanced.  How hard is it to steady, gain your balance and go up with 2 hands.  i think he really struggles to read the flight of the ball. 

he will get better , dont u worry bout that!

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:04:37 PM »

You're right. He always gets a hand on it though, pretty useful at CHF or thereabouts. And I agree X I reckon he's a late bloomer.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »
knobel is only 25 , he will get better and i bet soon he will be taking marks and kicking goals too! the saints are missing him baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Knobel needs to get better in this regard as Staff is nearing the end of his career.

lol @ the Saints. At least they have Fiora as compensation after giving away all their ruckmen ;D.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 10:39:04 PM »
Knobel was awesome today.

Haven't seen his stats but apparently Sandilands had more tipouts......

That piece of play where he was second to the play to (insert quicker and more skilful Freo player) and dived on the ball to receive the free for in the back was inspirational for a ruckman.
And he took marks today in contests similar to contests iin the last few weeks he was only getting a fist to.

Going up with two hands always helps!

The other great thing is it allows TW to play around with Stafford and Simmons a lot more. Although Stafford played well today, he still doesn't seem entirely comfortable there full-time. He doesn't look as menacing down there, I dunno he just seems more dangerous down there when he's an extra to the forward line rather than an actual part of it.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 05:38:42 AM »
Would have to be the best game Knobel's played even including his time at the Saints. 14 possies, 7 marks and a goal. His second, third and fourth efforts were fantastic for a big loping ruckman.

Staff was handy up forward when he was there. Scored a couple of goals and showed the midfielders how to run to 50 and slot through one on the run  :thumbsup

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 11:08:41 AM »
Yeah great game by Knob.  7 marks and 14 possies is a massive improvement, and he also played against no slouch in Sandilands.  He is pretty quick for a big guy and goes in hard.  See what happens when you go up with two hands in a marking contest, the ball actually sticks.  Let's hope he has a bigger game next week and sticks it up his former club.  How funny would that be.  Better perfomance by Simmonds also, especially in the first half. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Bulluss

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 11:30:49 AM »
Yeah it was a fantastic performance by the Big Fella, i was very impressed with his game and his efforts in picking up possesions.

Speaking of Sandilands, i couldnt believe the size of him when he came to rest in the goal square and was matched up against Graham. He is one big unit that bloke.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 01:00:38 PM »
I will say against the Dogs I was a little dissapointed with Knobel's around the ground work. He couldnt get to a contest and he was mis-reading the ball. Yesterday this was a new man.....he did everything we would want from a Ruckman around the ground and more. And further to the point, him playing well results in Snake lifting this game because there will be less frequent ruck changes due to poor form.

Credit where its due, he was hot hot hot yesterday. Good stuff  :thumbsup
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
A salute to Knobel deeds
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 02:20:28 PM »
A great read off the RFC site about Trent Knobel

====================================

A salute to Knobel deeds
10:08:15 AM Thu 21 April, 2005
Chris Riches
richmondfc.com.au

Often it is the “little things” that are easily missed when you view a game of football.

But those seemingly insignificant incidents – second efforts, deft taps, a shepherd or a chase – can tell a spectator a lot about how their team is travelling, or how a player approaches his work.

At 202 cm and 105 kg, new Tiger ruckman Trent Knobel can’t be classed as “a little thing”. Yet, in many ways, it is Knobel, who could become the poster child for not only the new attitude being instilled down at Punt Road, but also for those “little things” that can be so easily missed.

The giant 24-year-old has taken a circuitous route to Tigerland. Elevated off Brisbane’s rookie list in 1999, after playing with QAFL side Broadbeach, Knobel made his debut in a rising Lions’ side in Round 14, 2000.

He was retained for the remaining seven games of the home-and-away season, impressing with 23 hit-outs against a struggling St Kilda outfit in Round 21. He then played in two finals, to round out a good debut season.

However, Brisbane’s ruck depth saw Knobel play only three games in 2001, and he was traded to St Kilda at the end of that year.

His first season at St Kilda (2002) saw him again step up. A total of 13 games – 9 with double figure hit-out totals – seemed to spell good things for the big man. But 2003 was a major disappointment for Knobel, with just four games in the middle of the season, and it looked like he might struggle to find a spot in a fast-improving, Saints’ line-up.

Fast-forward to 2004 . . . and that’s when Trent Knobel came of age – 24 games, 460 hit-outs (seventh in the competition) – topped off with a stellar finals series (with 42, 28 and 22 hit-outs against Brisbane, Sydney and Port Adelaide respectively).

Certainly, Knobel had never been one to post huge possession tallies – his average over 41 games with St Kilda was only six per game, with a best of 17 possessions in Round 4, 2004. But it seemed like he had found a home, and a role, at Moorabbin.

The off-season, however, saw Knobel walk out on the Saints, with whispers of a dispute between he and coach Grant Thomas. Richmond, in search of ruck depth after the loss of Brad Ottens, snared him with the top pick in the pre-season draft.

In his four games at Richmond so far, Knobel has averaged a tick above 8 touches per match. His 14 possession-performance last Sunday against Fremantle is the third best tally of his 58-game AFL career.

So, what is so special about a player like Trent Knobel, who averages only about 5 touches, 2 marks and 15 hit-outs a game?

The answer is in just three words – “those little things”.

Simply put, Trent Knobel is the type of player who loves a scrap, loves to do the team things, get his hands dirty and commit himself to doing the less glamorous jobs other players might not find attractive.

Knobel is the sort of player whose effort, hard work and dedication sees him squeeze the most out of his body every week. A player prepared to do the hard yards for no personal gain, but for the benefit of his team.

Take last Sunday’s clash with Fremantle. Knobel’s opponent – giant Docker ruckman Aaron Sandilands – is a player who can very quickly put opposing ruckmen on the back foot with his height, weight and surprising agility.

But, without taking a backward step, it was Knobel who put his stamp on the game in the first quarter.

The “little things” like hard running, smart contesting and a just having a “good, honest go” resulted in Knobel garnering seven touches, a couple of marks and a couple of hit-outs – as well as a wonderful contested mark and goal to kick-start the Tigers’ scoring – for the opening term.

His early-game leadership of a relatively inexperienced Tiger on-ball brigade was another of those invaluable “little things”.

Knobel’s “good honest go” in the early stages gave the Tigers a fighting chance in the clearances from the centre and around the packs; which in turn played an important role in blunting the Dockers’ potent midfield and sparking Richmond to a four-goal quarter-time lead.

But while Knobel racked up his own personal possession count in the first quarter, it was a pair of inspirational third quarter efforts – a couple of “little things” that could easily overlooked in Richmond’s belting win – that stamped him as the consummate team player.

The first saw him one-out against a trio of Fremantle players on Richmond’s half-forward line. The Dockers’ on-ballers looked ready to speed away from the area, with only Knobel to beat.

But big Trent hassled and hustled, shifting his pressure and running his large frame between two of the three Dockers players – effectively corralling them and inviting an ill-judged kick or handball.

And, that’s exactly what happened – a haphazard Fremantle kick over Knobel was intercepted by rookie, Brett Deledio, who drilled a 50-metre pass to a virtually unattended Nathan Brown and Matthew Richardson in the Tigers’ goal square. End result was a goal, which ignited Richmond’s third-quarter onslaught.

The second saw a Fremantle player gather the ball on the members’ wing and surge forward, with only Knobel to outrun.

Big Trent must’ve known he was never going to catch his smaller, quicker, Docker opponent. But with head down, he chased anyway, putting in the big strides to try and manufacture some pressure.

Sure enough, his opponent, was unable to completely escape what he thought was “just another lumbering big man.” Knobel was still there, still chasing, and had stayed close enough to force his opponent into an errant kick. The resulting turnover was gleefully scooped up by the Tigers’ defence and rushed up the other end for another goal.

These efforts – these “little things” – aren’t going to win Trent Knobel any Brownlow votes, or build on the handful of possessions he gets each game.

But they are going to win his new coach over, and they are definitely going to win over keen Tiger fans throughout season 2005.

Chris Riches
www.yellowandblack.info

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=197656

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: A salute to Knobel deeds
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 02:24:06 PM »
The second saw a Fremantle player gather the ball on the members’ wing and surge forward, with only Knobel to outrun.

Big Trent must’ve known he was never going to catch his smaller, quicker, Docker opponent. But with head down, he chased anyway, putting in the big strides to try and manufacture some pressure.

Sure enough, his opponent, was unable to completely escape what he thought was “just another lumbering big man.” Knobel was still there, still chasing, and had stayed close enough to force his opponent into an errant kick. The resulting turnover was gleefully scooped up by the Tigers’ defence and rushed up the other end for another goal.

I remember this passage in the game and thought I don't care that he didn't catch him - at least he went full throttle at the Freo bloke. He didn't jog along and give up - he went as hard and fast as he could - that's what I want to see.

He is also one of the first to fly the flag for his team mates :thumbsup

Well done big fella :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)