Author Topic: Building a midfield for the future: from the RFC Site  (Read 756 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Building a midfield for the future: from the RFC Site
« on: April 14, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »
Building a midfield for the future

11:28:33 AM Thu 14 April, 2005

Richmond coach Terry Wallace

richmondfc.com.au

I’ve always had a great belief that teams who have genuine success in the AFL competition have extremely strong midfields.

You look at the premiers over the past few years, and both Brisbane and Port Adelaide have so many quality players rolling through the middle of the ground. A key aspect of these two top sides is that they have a balance between strong-bodied, hard footballers, who play over the ball, and fast, exciting runners, who can break up the play and set up midfield goal-scoring opportunities for teammates.

My first objective at Richmond was to try to develop that type of group for our future. If we are to rely on Campbell, Johnson, Bowden, to be our key midfielders, we are not really progressing towards future opportunities. It does not mean these guys do not have a role to play, but others must be given the chance to be a part of a new midfield for the future.

When I was watching the Tigers in the latter part of last season, the one thing that really pleased me was the fact that I thought the squad had already attracted some strong-bodied players, who could offer a real contest in the middle of the ground. At that stage, due to age and experience, these guys had not been given much of an opportunity in midfield roles. But on my arrival, one area of focus was to give these younger players a chance to mix it with the best in the land.

When you consider the hard nuts of our younger brigade, I think Jackson, Coughlan, Roach, Tuck and Hyde fit the bill extremely well. These guys are all super fit, which you need from current-day midfielders. They have strong bodies (with the exception of Hyde and Roach), and have good height, which normally gives them an advantage over their opposition. Each of them has the ability to win the ball in close, but can also spread, run and carry through the lines. For some of these guys to make top-level midfielders, they will need to improve their skill and decision-making, but all have a fierce desire to succeed and commitment to the contest.

The other aspect for a successful midfield is quality, running, skilled players, and I thought we were a little light on in this brigade. Certainly, we have drafted players such as Raines, Rodan, Hartigan to the Club in recent times, but it was my belief we needed a few more. So, in last year’s National Draft, we selected Deledio, Meyer and Tambling, who are all super-quick and can run and carry, which adds to quick forward line movement. The blend of ‘inside’ players and runners at Punt Road is now well balanced.

There are so many other regions in football that need to be covered off. You need strong ruck options, which the Club now has, key defensive players, which we still need to develop for the future, as well as strong-bodied forwards and ‘crumbers’. But unless you get the midfield right, you will never play effective, winning football.

We now have 10 players who are young, vibrant and either hard, or skilled, with some possessing both qualities. This is the future of the Club, but it is only the start of the process. Some players will grasp their opportunities, while others will not quite reach full potential. It is the coaching staff’s job to ensure we get the best out of this group, and that we have very few who drop out of the system.

Greg Miller, and his recruiting team, will be responsible for bringing more quality players to the Club (you can never have too many!).

As discussed in the past, I am very strong on us never trading our early draft selections, unless it is for another young, quality player, who will be at Tigerland for 10 years. There are no guarantees in this business, but you need to have a strong plan and a strong understanding of what you are trying to achieve, and then be meticulous from both a recruiting and coaching point of view, to ensure that you develop the group into a powerful unit.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=196092
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 04:36:49 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Hyde in elite company.... speaking of mid-field
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 04:31:05 PM »
Hyde in elite company

12:21:59 PM Thu 14 April, 2005
Angus Morgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

In 2004 Chris Hyde discovered consistency. Last Sunday he achieved excellence. If the young Tiger midfielder can manage to combine the two, he stands poised to join the elite ball-winners of the competition.

Hyde readily agreed that his round three, 29-possession effort against the Western Bulldogs was his best outing in the yellow and black, but the modest 22 year-old was quick to point out that personal glory comes second to team success in his list of priorities.

"Individually it probably was my best game. Each week you're trying to go out and get as much of the ball as you can, and some weeks it works out and some it doesn't," Hyde said.

"I was happy with the way I played, but it was just good to get the four points… that was the important thing.

Having played in all 22 home and away matches last season after managing just eight in the three seasons prior, Hyde, who was drafted at pick 40 in the 2000 AFL Draft, looked forward to 2005 believing for the first time that he could genuinely cut it at AFL level.

He had always been among the fittest players at Tigerland but proved in 2004 that he had the talent to match his commitment.

Now, after his watershed performance in round three, it may just be time to start talking of Hyde in the same terms as several of his more illustrious midfield teammates, such as Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan and skipper Kane Johnson.

"You've just got to try and keep improving, whether you're in your first year or been at the club for ten years," he said.

"That's what I've tried to do, to keep improving each year and each match. Every half a season you want to be improving and that's where I'm looking to go.

"There's not one specific thing that I've got written down that I want to achieve this year, it's just a whole process of continuing to improve and I think that if I do that along with the rest of the list, we're going to achieve things.

It was Danny Frawley's faith that enabled Hyde to become established and new coach Terry Wallace has sought to take his game to the next level.

"Terry's just basically encouraged me to be as natural as I can be and go along playing my own game and he will pull you up when he's not happy with what you're doing," Hyde said.

"He's just encouraged me along the way and kept telling me to take them on and to keep improving."

As for the bigger picture, Hyde concedes that the mood at Punt Road has brightened considerably over the past couple of weeks.

"We've won two in-a-row, but we're not comfortable with that. Winning is a lot better than losing - that's obvious, but I think the guys are really hungry to maintain that form."

Hyde's next assignment is against Fremantle at the MCG on Sunday and he's well aware that the Dockers will be desperate to improve their poor record on the road.

"We just need approach the game in a professional manner and go about our business and look after the things that we can control and then the results will look after themselves," he said.

"They've got some really good players. We just need to have the mindset that we're ready to play and don’t take it for granted that they're written up as not good travelers, because they're coming here with something to prove and they will probably be using that as motivation to try and win away from home."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=196105
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)