Author Topic: Hardwick's media conference 15th May / Tigers hope Vickery proves fitness  (Read 2462 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VIDEO: Dimma faces the media and talks about Dreamtime, Ty Vickery and the Tiger Army

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/449769/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers hope Vickery proves fitness (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Tigers hope Vickery proves fitness
Roger Vaughan, AAP
Updated May 15, 2012

Richmond are desperate for Ty Vickery to prove his fitness and help combat the in-form Essendon rucks in Saturday night's blockbuster.

The versatile ruck-forward missed last weekend's upset win over Sydney with a calf injury and he did running drills on Tuesday morning away from the main training session.

Coach Damien Hardwick said Bombers ruckman Tom Bellchambers was showing close to All-Australian form.

Bellchambers and Paddy Ryder have been outstanding for Essendon, who have a 6-1 record, and the Tigers want to bring back Vickery if possible to provide support for Ivan Maric.

Vickery has not been in peak form, but he could prove invaluable as back-up in the ruck on Saturday night.

"He's an important player to our structure, obviously with Bellchambers and Ryder, they're two formidable foes to come up against," Hardwick said.

"If Ty is available, he'll certainly play, so we just have to make sure we get him through the week and see how he goes.

"We're going to have our hands full this week.

"Bellchambers has been outstanding - there's a fair argument he's in All-Australian form at the moment."

The strong form of the two teams will mean a crowd of more than 80,000 for their annual Dreamtime At The 'G indigenous tribute match.

While Essendon will start as favourites, Saturday's impressive performance against the Swans saw Richmond's win-loss record improve to 3-4.

Hardwick said his young side had learnt plenty from the round-one loss to Carlton - another much-anticipated match at the MCG with a massive crowd.

"It's a long time ago, round one," Hardwick said.

"We probably didn't play the way we wanted to play that night, there's no doubt, and Carlton were very, very good in that area.

"But we've come a long way since then.

"Our boys learnt a lot from that game and our results have probably swung our way accordingly."

Hardwick is never a coach who embraces hype, but he noted that the passionate army of Tigers supporters could prove a big factor on Saturday night against their fierce rivals.

"It's going to be a great contest between the two armies of the sash," Hardwick said.

"There's no doubt that when we're kicking towards that Punt Rd end towards the end, it certainly gets our sails up.

"If we get as many supporters there as we can, it will be a formidable outfit to beat."

Captain Chris Newman will play his 200th game this weekend and Hardwick said he had been a big reason for Richmond's improvement this season.

Hardwick described him as a spiritual leader at Punt Rd and added that even before he took over as Richmond coach, he liked the way Newman played.

"His influence on this group and our leadership group ... has been paramount on the way we've hung in, we've hung tough," Hardwick said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/13687095/tigers-hope-vickery-proves-fitness/

More from the AFL website....

Richmond played only one ruckman, Ivan Maric, during the victory over the Swans.

Maric, who has plenty of endurance, played almost the entire match. He was relieved only briefly by Brad Miller, who generally plays as a lead-up forward.

The Swans' ruckmen, Mark Seaby and Jesse White, posed nothing like the problem that Essendon's in-form duo, Paddy Ryder and Tom Bellchambers, are likely to provide this weekend.

Ryder and Bellchambers were a huge factor in the Bombers' victory over West Coast, eclipsing the Eagles' combination of Dean Cox and Scott Lycett.

Vickery would serve as the back-up to Maric against the Bombers while also providing a vital tall target in attack.

If he fails to come up, the Tigers must decide whether to let Maric take on the Bombers almost single-handedly, or whether to include a back-up ruckman.

The obvious inclusion would be Angus Graham, but he'd be able to play only if he is found not guilty at the VFL tribunal from a kicking charge.

If Graham is suspended, the Tigers might consider the in-form Andrew Browne, but he too is facing the VFL tribunal.

Browne had almost 100 hit-outs playing with the Coburg Tigers' reserves a fortnight ago and was named among the best players for Coburg's senior team last weekend.

Derickx would be a like-for-like replacement for Vickery in that he plays as a tall forward who relieves in the ruck, but his form with Coburg is unlikely to merit selection.

Without Vickery in attack against the Swans, Richmond played key midfielders Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin out of the goalsquare at various times.

The tactic created a potent forward line, making the Swans' defence look to be on edge whenever either Cotchin or Martin threatened to take the ball, but it returned only one goal, to Martin.

Hardwick said the Tigers' selection considerations for the Essendon match would include a strong focus on combatting Ryder and Bellchambers.

"They're such formidable opponents," he said, adding that Bellchambers has been in All-Australian form.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/135800/default.aspx

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Actually, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but Post should come in as the back up ruck / forward if Ty doesn't get up.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Actually, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but Post should come in as the back up ruck / forward if Ty doesn't get up.

Only because he is mobile, Gus & BrownE aren't mobile enough to compete with Ryder & Bellchambers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Vickery looked to be sprinting fine in the vision shown by the Ch 10 news tonight. I'd guess the question now is how Ty pulls up tomorrow and how well he trains on Friday.

Hellenic Tiger

If Ty is fit he plays if not play Browne he has good history in this fixture. Played a blinder last year.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Massive game for Ty if he is selected, really needs to take the game on and star....could make him this game.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years

Only because he is mobile, Gus & BrownE aren't mobile enough to compete with Ryder & Bellchambers
X 3 i reckon hed be a good match for the mobility of the ess rucks
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
More from Dimma ...

''[We haven't played] a bad game as such,'' Hardwick said.

''We've played moments within games that have been relatively quiet. The funny thing is every side does that. What we've got to get better at is when those periods occur we can't let the scoreboard damage get out of control.

''We're slowly finding our way. We have been a lot better over the past three or four weeks but probably the first couple of rounds hurt us enormously.''

Hardwick said his young side had learnt plenty from the round one loss to Carlton. ''It's a long time ago, round one. We probably didn't play the way we wanted to play that night, there's no doubt, and Carlton were very, very good in that area,'' he said.

''But we've come a long way since then. Our boys learnt a lot from that game and our results have probably swung our way accordingly.''

Read more at: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/riewoldt-starting-to-warm-up-20120515-1yp2a.html#ixzz1uxTqNnJ5

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
If Ty is fit he plays if not play Browne he has good history in this fixture. Played a blinder last year.
you're right, the big pear browne played very good in that game but I still cringe when I read his name.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
Sorry guys and girls i just have to get this question of my chest.

Was TV a soft drop ?
By that i mean.
Is it possible that he was not actually injured to begin with ?

I  don't have any proof or substantiated evidence, but the injury explanation just doesn't sit right with me. :huh

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Was TV a soft drop ?
By that i mean.

I  don't have any proof or substantiated evidence, but the injury explanation just doesn't sit right with me. :huh

HMH, firstly he had his calf strapped after the game in Adelaide. I was there and noticed it when he can to the boundary to give out the footy after the game

Secondly, he was at a pre-match on Saturday (Swans game) and he admitted he took a sore calf into the Port game (why they played him then is another question for another day) and it got worse as the game went on. He also said he probably shouldn't have played the week before against Port

So based on that I reckon the calf thing is legit  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:34:35 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain

Was TV a soft drop ?
By that i mean.

HMH, firstly he had his calf strapped after the game in Adelaide. I was there and noticed it when he can to the boundary to give out the footy after the game

Secondly, he was at a pre-match on Saturday (Swans game) and he admitted he took a sore calf into the Port game (why they played then is another question for another day) and it got worse as the game went on. He also said he probably shouldn't have played the week before against Port

So base don that I reckon the calf thing is legit  :thumbsup

Thanks for the heads up and insight W.P..  :cheers