Author Topic: We can handle hype: Tigers (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2947 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We can handle hype: Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »
Tigers say they can handle hype of huge Dreamtime game against Essendon

AAP
    May 18, 2012

RICHMOND wants to show it can handle the hype in front of a possible 90,000-strong crowd for Saturday night's Dreamtime clash against Essendon.

The match is the highlight of the league's Indigenous Round and will attract a crowd of more than 80,000.

The MCG has announced the match is now fully ticketed with no general admission seats left, so the crowd could top the 86,932 that watched the Bombers fall just short of Collingwood on Anzac Day.

The Tigers are coming off several weeks of encouraging form, most recently an upset win against Sydney.

But Richmond have been notorious for not meeting expectations when their vast and impatient army of supporters starts stirring.

While they won last year's Dreamtime match, most recently they came up short before 72,000 fans in Round 1 against Carlton.

"Richmond, they say, are the sleeping giants, so we've just got to make sure we bring the crowd alive and especially against Essendon," Richmond utility Shane Edwards said today.

"We have to make sure our fans get on top.

"If we want to achieve a top-eight finish, we'll have to beat sides like Essendon, who are right up there.

"The atmosphere, we can't get over-awed - last year, we didn't, but in Round 1 we may have.

"We really have to adapt."

Edwards said the 44-point loss to the Blues had not been a total disaster, given they had taken plenty out of the game.

"There was a lot of hype, but also they're a really good team, so we learnt a lot - especially the way their midfield runs, stuff like that," he said.

"You can only learn from losses to really good teams."

The Tigers will try to blunt Essendon's pace and not let them have too many uncontested marks.

That means paying close attention to small forwards Leroy Jetta and Alwyn Davey, who are reaping dividends for a pre-season emphasis on their defensive pressure.

"Our role in the team is to put pressure on the guys who are trying to run it out - we have (Bachar) Houli this week, (Chris) Newman," Jetta said.

"Last year we struggled a bit in that area, getting scored against pretty easily, so it's definitely been a focus point over the pre-season and we've been going pretty well so far."

While the Bombers will start favourites, Richmond frequently troubles them and Jetta expects a tight duel.

"They match up really well against us - last year, they smashed us," he said.

"They had a great win last week and I guess if we play the way we want to play, it's going to be a great game."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/tigers-say-they-can-handle-hype-of-huge-dreamtime-game-against-essendon/story-e6frf9jf-1226359208831

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: We can handle hype: Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »
I must have imagined the 78k that turned up to Round 1.  :wallywink

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:54:31 AM »
Yes very good Shane, we have seen you handle the hype... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

gerkin greg

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00:52 AM »
Agree. That Dreamtime game he kicked 3.2 and won us the game proved he's the man for the big occasion.  :thumbsup

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:02:49 AM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
Agree. That Dreamtime game he kicked 3.2 and won us the game proved he's the man for the big occasion.  :thumbsup

On fire ATM too........ :help

What are you still doing awake.....

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
We do seem to get overawed in these type of games while the opposition seems to feed of the hype. When we begin to welcome huge crowds and use the atmosphere to generate additional effort, then we will be a good side.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
We do seem to get overawed in these type of games while the opposition seems to feed of the hype. When we begin to welcome huge crowds and use the atmosphere to generate additional effort, then we will be a good side.

Dead right we do, seems like time it changed  :gotigers

"Rucks:

Dubstep Dookie

the claw

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
lol at the word hype. there should be no hype about us atm if we are say 10 and 7 after 17 games having played everyone well maybe just a little hype could be allowed. thing is lose just two or 3 players and our depth will see us drop away dramatically.
can just see jackson having to step up into cotchins shoes if he got hurt or graham into marics now that would be funny. or who fills grimes shoes if he goes down or as bad as riewoldts been his shoes.
depth people when the injuries come we will find out just where the LIST  is at. so much hype so little achieved.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
not saying your wrong, but I reckon you enjoy telling kids santa isnt true.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
:yep

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
not saying your wrong, but I reckon you enjoy telling kids santa isnt true.

Dr Claw, Inspector Gadget's arch enemy. :thumbsup

I actually agree with claw but I have seen such improvement in the way we play and most of the players although not convinced yet I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
I just think Essendon is over hyped way more than us.

Difference being we get a sniff and lose and the boots get stuck into us. The same boots worn by those who were more than happy to build us up in the first instance.

Essendon lose a big game and all is forgiven given their big club status and I guess more recent on field success and a larger majority of senior journos in the rags supporting them. Connolly, Robbo, Smith.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »
Can we handle the hype now? Yes we can after last night.

In the past we would've melted like butter after 5 minutes in such a high intensity game on the big Friday night stage in front of our full house and with a massive tv audience watching. Last night was probably a first win in a media-hyped up game since the 'every dog has its day' rematch one at Docklands back in 2001.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd