Author Topic: David Morgan the Man to lead Richmond  (Read 3691 times)

PuntRdRoar

David Morgan the Man to lead Richmond
« on: May 27, 2004, 03:57:36 PM »
In the past 2 or 3 years David Morgan...the CEO of Westpac Bank and a keen Richmond man has been talked about as our next President. Lets make no mistake here people...Morgan has Balls as a management/business operator. I believe that Morgan now would be a great choice to lead a ticket against the current board.  A Morgan-Wood management team would have richmond buzzing and quick smart too. Rumours of David Morgans interest in the Richmond presidency have been around for the past 2 or 3 months. Even if he is a fly in president...hed be a much better option for the future! A board including past players like Mike Green and Brendon Gale, the return of Brendon Schwab and other Richmond supporting business leaders would set the foundations for a board tilt!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: David Morgan the Man to lead Richmond
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 04:24:39 PM »
You aren't David Morgan are you TR  ;D  ;)

I wish some at the Club would put as much effort into organizing a premiership tilt as they do towards a board tilt  ::).

Whoever ends up on our board I hope they actually put the emphasis on laying and building the foundations for a successful football team - getting the best coach and best recruiters who will work towards in the mid-long term to draft the best players available and develop them. No more quick fixes (giving up early draft picks) to save everyone's own backsides.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 04:56:24 PM »
Even if he is a fly in president...hed be a much better option for the future!

Funny - we have been there and done that with a "fly-in" president.

Remember Alan Bond? Huge success wasn't it. :-\

Sorry but for me we need someone that is here in Melbourne and understands the culture of football in this state.

For me it is David Morgan - NO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 05:04:41 PM »
As much as I’d love to be excited by this, I’ve put my faith in people before, only to be let down.  Through all of this I’ve almost come to doubt my ability to judge people and situations and the only thing that prevents me from doing so is that we don’t know all the factors involved that have lead to certain events taking place.  That’s what I’m telling myself anyway.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t stop me from being wary of anyone new, because when these shiny new people arrive, we’re always told how good they are and how we’re going to do this, that and everything else, only to invariably finish with nothing but broken promises.

I’m not saying it couldn’t work and many supporters would no doubt welcome the prospect of a new ticket.  But for people to be able to put their faith in any new regime, they would need to have a team ready to go from the outset, which would include coaching staff.  Because I think we’re all way beyond tired of promises of what will be and we don’t want to just be told about it, we want to see it.

As for a fly-in president, wasn’t Alan Bond going to do a similar thing?  What a rip-roaring success that turned out to be.  (Great minds think alike WP ;)). I don’t know how necessary it is to have a President who is available at all times, but it would probably be more desirable.  We don’t need people who have no idea about what they are getting themselves into.  We need people who have their eyes wide open and who know how much work there is to do and are prepared to do it.

If this new Board were to eventuate, one thing I would want to know about these people is that they would be doing the job for all the right reasons, i.e. they are doing it because they want to and not because they are being talked into it, or because they’re ego maniacs.

I would want to know that they have a plan and are united in the direction the Club would take.  We want people who know what it is to work as a team, rather than individuals who are in it for themselves.  They need to have an appreciation of the Club’s history and have the best interests of RFC at heart, at all times.  Otherwise, they needn’t bother.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:13:26 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 05:14:54 PM »
Great post TS.

Alan Bond  :o - saw dollars in his eyes and wanted the club to shift up to Brisbane for good. IIRC he totally mispronounced one of players name. Might have been Dale Weightman's? Showed how much he knew about Richmond  ::).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:16:58 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 06:10:57 PM »
Great post TS.

Alan Bond  :o - saw dollars in his eyes and wanted the club to shift up to Brisbane for good. IIRC he totally mispronounced one of players name. Might have been Dale Weightman's? Showed how much he knew about Richmond  ::).

'Dale Wineman' winner of the Best and Fairest ladies and gentlemen.....

Not quite as much of a gaff as Sandy Roberts and The infamous Leanne Cock intro,but not bad either!
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went