Author Topic: Changes next week for the Hawks game?  (Read 17957 times)

the claw

Re: Changes next week for the Hawks game?
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »

I think Dimma is well aware that even if finals are achieved this year the holes in our list which you so correctly pointed out still need to be addressed and will be.

Regardless of where we finish I still think there will be a turnover of at least 8 at the end of the year.
We have laid the foundations and are building a team next component is too fill needs and create depth in the list. :thumbsup
What a load of BS that we already know.

Even if we win the grand final there will be holes in our list that will need to be replaced.

If we turn over 8 players there will be 6 or so YOUNG UNPROVEN KIDS or a couple of rejects from other clubs on our list AGAIN.....and we will still be in development mode with all of its associated excuses........just like we have been for ages.

Dimma doesn't choose those who stay or go, even though his input is valuable and I'm sure he would get peeed off if he is lumbered with a bunch of Melbourne players that posters would suggest are our saviour.
[/quote]not sure about the point of this post. i can name close to 14 players who we get nothing out of and it is mostly made up of 3rd 4th 5ht yr plus players.

sheesh if we cut 8 duds take 8 players and have roughly a 60% hit ratio thats about 5 decent players to add to the 14 or so we have.  thats 5 players better off we will be. i expect our first rounder to be a good player at worst. i expect a very high chance od our second rounder and our compensation pick both around 30 to bring us good players.  i can see no reason why we cant trade into another maric situation  or find a couple of vfl wafl sanfl  players like morris.
one thing i do know we will fail with about 40% of all players taken its not all about picking guns with every pick its just as much about value adding. its also about making sure you turn over/put out  the trash when you can.
tell me what role have blokes like mcguane, white king jackson edwards nahas connors  browne derickx graham webberley miller a maric  moore played in our improvement. i could mention a load of others.
 we do need to keep on turning the list over but hey if you think otherwise its all good. if you think every single player we will take will be a spud, and thats the way it sounds hey thats all good as well.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »
Goodonya Claw,

If we cut 8 players can you guarantee that we will get 8 stars?

We have been cutting players for 30 years.

Surely its about time that we started to develop the majority of the guys of the right age that are on our list rather than discarding those that are ready to roar after all the training they have.

Geelong, Collingwobbles and Brisvegas did it.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »
I hope Griffo gets a go.. He could do well against Franklin or Roughead.. He is 7 cms taller than Roughy and 4 cms taller than Buddy and can take a grab + his disposal is pretty good going by the coburg highlights reel on the Richmond app.

In: Griffo, A.Maric, Vickery
Out: Grimes, King, Miller
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
I hope Griffo gets a go..

Does he have any match fitness?

Griffo will get a go, when the time is right.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
On draft day in dimmas first year i reckon he thought hed found richmonds 10 year center. Chf. Chb
 With the clubs first 3 picks. Still early days.

You cannot say our 8 draft picks.this year will make it but there is a higher chance given the so called class of the dtsfy

the claw

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Goodonya Claw,

If we cut 8 players can you guarantee that we will get 8 stars?

We have been cutting players for 30 years.

Surely its about time that we started to develop the majority of the guys of the right age that are on our list rather than discarding those that are ready to roar after all the training they have.

Geelong, Collingwobbles and Brisvegas did it.
a bit of simple maths for ya.

lets say the average time on a list is 10 yrs. read it somewhere and think this is very close to the truth. you have 45 players on your list that would mean you need to find at least 4 or 5 players every single yr just to break even. every single club must turn over players for so many obvious reasons.

if you can agree we have a large amount of players on our list who we need to upgrade on say 14, then if we turned over 8 took 8 and found 5 it goes without saying we are in front. it also says the following yr you only have 9 to turn over.
as you find players the more the overall number comes down until gradually you are in a position depth wise that you are only cutting 3 or 4 each yr list needs and structures determine what you do at this stage.

the overall  hit miss ratio for all clubs  a few yrs ago for recruits was running at about 60/40. based on that alone if we turn over 10 players who are no good and we have em, then we could realistically expect to find 6 decent players.

please tell me which of the players i mentioned are ready to roar and what major contribution have they made to our improvement. improvement has happened because most of em are not getting a game.glass half fulls actually prevent you from developing and improving if hardwick has done nothing else he has shown this to be true.

you will scoff at this but imo we are still looking for 15 odd players to  show they can perform at this level on a consistent basis. the improvement to date has been on the back of 15 odd players after them it has been ordinary.

the 8 players most likely in the gun this yr are.
connors, white,webberley, macdonald.
mcguane, moore retired,
one or two of graham, brown, derickx.
move newman to the vets list and we can cut 8 non performers who have contributed nothing to our improvement quite easily. what development can we put into that lot apart from macdonals who i think is as good as gone already and big brown there is no upside to the others. they have all been around for ages and all are 23 plus.
it leaves poor players on the list who are at least giving just a little in.  nahas dud imo, edwards sometimes terrible sometimes ordinary sometimes passable. jackson could be replaced with any very good state league player. king the most overrated player on the list who is ordinary most of the time. miller who we are wasting our time with, they all get to stay another yr but it is clear we should be looking to do much better than them.
if we cant improve on 4 or 5 of those players this trade/draft period we should not be in the comp.

gerkin greg

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
Agree with all of that the claw. It's pretty effing basic stuff. Not sure why some supporters can't get their heads around it. Probably something wrong with their diets.

Now if we can land Rendell it just increases our chances of hitting that 60/40 mark and we continue climbing up the ladder.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
Find it hard to see one of browne/derickx

We are going to delist young developing ruckmsn (that we pur a few years into). Im favor of new junior ruckman?