Author Topic: Brett Deledio bashers go silent as Richmond star shines (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5750 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Brett Deledio bashers go silent as Richmond star shines (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
snort

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »

Must admit he has won me over this year.

:thumbsup

He's won you over? Honestly, WGAF?

He's always been a gun.

LMFAO at how Lids had to win people over. Much maligned??? by who?

The guy is the one of very few players who in my opinion is A grade. Kicks the very ball well since day 1 and tries his guts out.

People say well he should kick more goals well Judd or Girlwood  arent the best kicks either.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
What are the chances of Lids getting 3 BV's, 100% you would think, BUT maybe he is under the radar for some reason.
With Cotchin, Foley, Tuck and Dusty, I guess opposition needs to work out who to put their best taggers on and where to stop our possessions from the midfield.
Well done Brett, you have been stuck down back to deliver the ball now you have a chance to shine. Go get em Tiger.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »

Must admit he has won me over this year.

:thumbsup

He's won you over? Honestly, WGAF?

He's always been a gun.

LMFAO at how Lids had to win people over. Much maligned??? by who?

The guy is the one of very few players who in my opinion is A grade. Kicks the very ball well since day 1 and tries his guts out.

People say well he should kick more goals well Judd or Girlwood  arent the best kicks either.

I think the article is right in its assessment that Lids had to win many people over and that is what the "much maligned" is about.  There have been many debates on here over the years over the efforts/output/value/attitude of Lids but like '65 said: "he has won me over this year", I think that is the case for many supporters in that he has only just recently (last couple of seasons) won them over.  You are dead right Daniel, in that he is A grade and has been for longer than many realize or gave credit for (I include myself in this group), and again, like you say he has displayed the skills and attributes of an A grader for much of his career but for whatever reason it hasn't always translated to acceptance from Richmond supporters and the greater AFL public.  I'm glad that I was wrong in my reluctance to accept his credentials and I hope that he gets due recognition from the wider football public as it all adds to the case for the club as a whole regaining the respect it needs to become a successful entity again, both on and off the field.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
Iirc there were plenty of posters on here who bagged him

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
whats wrong with the article?
Considering Ralphy is a tiger supporter, pretty balanced article actually

Agree 100%, Good article for mine.

Agree with everything 100%
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
I have never thought of Lids as being much maligned. He is a product of an era where the club has repeatedly failed to develop the younger types and come through. He is capable of playing many games on end and does not get suspended. Under rated by many.

Diasgree - I think the media have been incredibly harsh on LIds over the years. Look at Mike Sheahan he has constantly carried on about (most recently after round 1) Lids not "doing enough" as a number 1 draft pick. Not that Mike's ever clearly defined what "enough" is  ;D. Robbo and plenty of others have done the same

IMV I think it is a very fair and reasonable assessment by Ralphy  :thumbsup

Agree, have read constant articles about Lids not doing enough, getting easy ball, not shacking a tag, failing to kick big goals etc.

Don't mention the crap we have to put up with suggesting Griffen should have been higher in the draft than Lids. Rubbish.

Lids has copped it unfairly, maybe not every week or month but on numerous occasions in his career. Good print JR  :gotigers
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
Iirc there were plenty of posters on here who bagged him

You would be correct.
Go Tigers!

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
I have never thought of Lids as being much maligned. He is a product of an era where the club has repeatedly failed to develop the younger types and come through. He is capable of playing many games on end and does not get suspended. Under rated by many.

Diasgree - I think the media have been incredibly harsh on LIds over the years. Look at Mike Sheahan he has constantly carried on about (most recently after round 1) Lids not "doing enough" as a number 1 draft pick. Not that Mike's ever clearly defined what "enough" is  ;D. Robbo and plenty of others have done the same

Not sure if i made my point here, WP. My post is in support of Lids, that is, he has managed to come through a decent player from a period when many others did not. Therefore i don't malign him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »

Not sure if i made my point here, WP. My post is in support of Lids, that is, he has managed to come through a decent player from a period when many others did not. Therefore i don't malign him.

Fair enough GR12 - I thought you were saying in general you didn't think Lids had been maligned . I think he has been by the media (in particular) and a few supporters and quite unfairly BTW
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)