Author Topic: Brett Deledio bashers go silent as Richmond star shines (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5751 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brett Deledio bashers go silent as Richmond star shines

Jon Ralph
    May 23, 2012

RICHMOND plays Hawthorn this weekend, which is normally the perfect time for a spot of Deledio-bashing.

Can't believe they took him; could have had Buddy; can't shake a tag; won't get his hands dirty.

Those are the familiar refrains from predominantly non-Richmond supporters who gloat at what the Tigers passed up.

Richmond will never live down the Richard Tambling selection (pick 4) ahead of Lance Franklin (pick 5) given he has sunk without a trace.

And nor should they.

Yet is it finally dawning on the football commentariat that the top-end of this draft might be becoming a little like the 2001 Luke Hodge-Luke Ball-Chris Judd draft.

In other words, a draft where you would have been happy with any of those selections.

Deledio was masterful against Essendon, as he has been all year.

It saw Mick Malthouse, so scornful early in the year about whether he deserved a five-year contract, even tender an apology.

The 2004 national draft went like this: Brett Deledio (1), Jarryd Roughead (2), Ryan Griffen (3), Richard Tambling (4), Lance Franklin (5), Tom Williams (6), Jordan Lewis (7), John Meesen (8 ), Jordan Russell (9), and Chris Egan (10).

Some hits and misses there, but how would you rank the top end of that draft now?

Maybe something like this?

1. Franklin (and by some margin). 2. Deledio. 3. Griffen. 4. Roughead. 5 Lewis.

Argue the toss over Roughead and Lewis, or even Griffen.

Roughead is a beauty, although Griffen and Deledio have better best-and-fairest results.

But there is no doubting Deledio has now become the player everyone at Richmond hoped he would become.

Early last year former Tiger Nathan Brown offered this on Deledio: "If Deledio had been drafted to a Geelong or Collingwood, we would be talking about him in the same regard as (Joel) Selwood or (Scott) Pendlebury.

"I see it similar to Brendon Goddard, much maligned early in his career with a struggling St Kilda to become one of the game's elite, and a prototype for modern AFL with a powerhouse St Kilda.''

His assessment has come true, even if Richmond is still far from a powerhouse.

In the past four years Deledio has two best-and-fairests (08, 09), a runner-up (2011) and a third-placing (2010).

This year's form is better than all of that, with his game against Essendon a fair sample.

Thirty-five disposals, seven marks, nine contested possessions, five clearances, 10 tackles, one goal, 13 score involvements, 24 pressure acts, efficiency of 77 per cent.

This year he is second in the league in handball receives, equal first for inside-50s alongside Patrick Dangerfield, and equal fourth for goal assists.

Taggers are going to the source of Richmond's scores - Trent Cotchin - and sometimes to Dustin Martin, which means Deledio is getting off the chain.

For now.

Tambling's story is particularly sad. He was traded to Adelaide and played 10 games last year, but has battled away in the SANFL this year.

One recruiter yesterday still said Tambling was the right pick at No.4, but just never developed.

"Everyone thought he was the next Michael Long. He had the run and carry. That's where the game was at then. Everyone was looking for speed. Now everyone is looking at players who win the contested ball.''

That draft was a nightmare for the Tigers, who only now are winning the draft and trade battle.

Yet at least Deledio is signed up and finally getting the recognition he has deserved for some time.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport-old/afl/brett-deledio-bashers-go-silent-as-richmond-star-shines/story-e6frepkx-1226363803030

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Ralph is a flogstick

Jackstar is back again

whats wrong with the article?
Considering Ralphy is a tiger supporter, pretty balanced article actually

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I have never thought of Lids as being much maligned. He is a product of an era where the club has repeatedly failed to develop the younger types and come through. He is capable of playing many games on end and does not get suspended. Under rated by many.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
whats wrong with the article?
Considering Ralphy is a tiger supporter, pretty balanced article actually
If being a Richmond supporter qualifies you to be balanced when assessing the club, then what has happened to this site?  :)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Nah, jackies correct. There's nothing wrong with the article.
Perhaps the crayon muncher has just proven the thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters for a thousand years theory.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I have never thought of Lids as being much maligned. He is a product of an era where the club has repeatedly failed to develop the younger types and come through. He is capable of playing many games on end and does not get suspended. Under rated by many.

Diasgree - I think the media have been incredibly harsh on LIds over the years. Look at Mike Sheahan he has constantly carried on about (most recently after round 1) Lids not "doing enough" as a number 1 draft pick. Not that Mike's ever clearly defined what "enough" is  ;D. Robbo and plenty of others have done the same

IMV I think it is a very fair and reasonable assessment by Ralphy  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

Robbo is an inarticulate slurring pelican

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Meh. Lids has been a star for years but the Tiges are improving so naturally he's gaining a bigger media presence now.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

Must admit he has won me over this year.

:thumbsup

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Brett Deledio bashers go silent as Richmond star shines (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »

Must admit he has won me over this year.

:thumbsup

He's won you over? Honestly, WGAF?

He's always been a gun.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
Is always in career best form.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »

He's always been a gun.

Yes but just not my faourite player

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:05 PM »
nice sig  :clapping

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
Thanks Gerks
Lots of people name their swords......