Author Topic: Richo relishing new forward structure  (Read 1353 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richo relishing new forward structure
« on: April 18, 2005, 05:09:20 PM »
Richo relishing new forward structure
3:12:19 PM Mon 18 April, 2005
Jennifer Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond spearhead Matthew Richardson has echoed the sentiments of coach Terry Wallace, by saying the high-flying Tigers cannot lose their heads after winning three consecutive matches.

He also believes the Richmond resurgence has come as a result of increased self-belief, as well as Wallace's presence at the club.

"You can't beat winning basically, it makes the week a lot more enjoyable, it makes everything a lot more enjoyable," Richardson said.

"It's only early though, we certainly won't be getting carried away, it's one month into the year, and come round 22, you're not going to remember the first month of the year.

"We've got a lot of hard work to do, but it's a good start."

With the Tigers' coach assuming the position at the helm at the end of last season, Richardson believes Wallace's influence has been paramount to Richmond's recent success.

"A lot of players have regained some lost confidence, and when you have confidence you just play a lot better footy," Richardson said.

"We're obviously trying to kick a lot more goals than we have in the past, trying to kick 16 goals a game, Terry has well documented that, that's probably the biggest thing, just more attacking and the way we go about things.

"We're playing a different style, and a few new players into the side have helped as well."

Part of the Tigers' positive start to the season is due to the new forward structure introduced by Wallace, which allows the big man to roam free in the forward 50, as opposed to being constantly restrained in the goal square.

Richardson reiterated that while he does enjoy the primary goal-kicking position of full-forward - with the presence of alternative big men Greg Stafford and Troy Simmonds up forward - his wealth can be further maximised out of the square.

"I'm playing centre-half-forward at the moment. We've got our ruckmen rotating through full-forward, and I'm enjoying the role (Wallace) has got me playing, and hopefully I can continue to play well for him for the rest of the year," he said.

"I like full-forward as well, don't get me wrong, but (at) centre-half forward you do find yourself having a little bit more space to work in, but yeah, I am enjoying the structure.

"We've got three guys all six-foot-six and over, all big strong guys, so if we can get all of us playing well together it certainly gives us a little bit of an extra weapon for sure."

Despite nailing six goals in the Tigers' 48-point drubbing of Fremantle, Wallace still found area for improvement when it comes to Richo - and threatened to drag the power forward should he play on once taking a mark within scoring distance.

"He's just trying to get me to go back and have a shot at goal, which is what I'm meant to be doing, occasionally I have a bit of a brain error and I play on, but I'm trying to stop that," Richardson said.

The Tigers meet St Kilda in round five, and the Saints are a reformed outfit after upsetting Melbourne at Telstra Dome on Sunday.

Richardson believes the match will be a genuine test for the club, allowing the Tigers to fully analyse where they stand in terms of the rest of the competition.

"They're a great side, they've got a lot of fantastic players and they found their form against Melbourne, so that will be a real test for us," he said.

"We didn't step up when we played Geelong in round one, they're a great side as well, so this is another chance for us."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=197007
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richo relishing new forward structure
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:15:17 PM »
Judging by the pics on White Line Fever of the boys in their togs, Richo has lost a bit of weight and is looking quite trim, taut and terrific.  Nice 6-pack there :thumbsup

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:46:12 PM »
Saw that Julz. Looked pretty cold for them to be swimming in their budgie smugglers.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo settles down under Wallace
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 03:26:25 AM »
Quote from: Julz
Judging by the pics on White Line Fever of the boys in their togs, Richo has lost a bit of weight and is looking quite trim, taut and terrific.  Nice 6-pack there  :thumbsup
Quote from: Fishfinger
Saw that Julz. Looked pretty cold for them to be swimming in their budgie smugglers.

--------------------------------------

Richo settles down under Wallace
19 April 2005   
Herald Sun
Michael Horan

AS A footballer Matthew Richardson is best described as gifted, mercurial, explosive, often frustrating and certainly never dull.

As a bloke, there is a quality that is enormously endearing considering he is now 30, in his 13th AFL season and one who has been fried more than once by the harsh glare of media scrutiny. He is a simple, honest bloke.

So the question had to be asked of the comments made by coach Terry Wallace about threatening to drag Richo if he marked and played on again when inside the forward 50 despite him being the star of Sunday's 48-point win over Fremantle.

"Occasionally I have a bit of a brain error and play on, but I'm trying to stop that," Richardson unblinkingly told a media gathering before heading into the St Kilda baths for the Tiger's post-match recovery session.

"He's just trying to get me to go back and have a shot at goal, which is what I'm meant to be doing."

The 198-game veteran is flourishing under Wallace. He leads the Coleman Medal list with 16 goals and his 38 marks this season ranks him No. 1 in the AFL.

But it seems his exuberance and tendency to have a "rush of blood" has everyone around him mindful to settle him down and make the most of his opportunities. Three times after marking within distance Richardson instantly had former skipper Wayne Campbell at his shoulder, barking instructions.

"He was just telling me to go through my routine, basically. Everyone has got a routine that they do at training and he was just re-inforcing that I need to do it on match day," Richardson said.

Richo's routine is nothing like the long drawn out process of Bomber counterpart Matthew Lloyd and he quickly pointed out that could never be his style.

"No, I don't like thinking about it for too long." he said, with a hint of a grin.

One thing the Tiger star is at the moment is mindful that for all the early gains to the Tigers' season, it counts for virtually nothing thus far.

"Things have gone all right for the first month of the year," he said. "If we had written down we'd be three wins at this stage we'd have taken it.

"So, things are looking all right but obviously we've got to step up the next few weeks because we're playing some quality sides. That will be a major test for us."

Richmond is a more offensive side under Wallace with Richardson used mainly at centre half-forward and ruckmen Trent Knobel, Greg Stafford and Troy Simmonds rotating through the goal square.

"I think its just confidence. When you've got that you just play better footy – and playing a different style and having a few new players in the side has obviously helped as well," he said.

"We're trying to kick a lot more goals than we have in the past. We're trying to kick our 16 a game. Terry has been well documented with that (and) that's probably the biggest thing, being more attacking."

And with the success comes the fundamental element of simply having fun with your footy.

"You just can't beat winning, basically. It makes the week a lot more enjoyable . . . everything a lot more enjoyable," Richardson said.

"It's only early though, we certainly won't be getting carried away. It's one month into the year.

"Come Round 22 no-one will remember the first month really. So we've got a lot of hard work to do, but its been a good start.

"We've got no reason to get carried away, we had two ordinary seasons and we can't be getting carried away with a few early wins."

Like in 2003 when the Tigers enjoyed a 6-2 start to the season but won just one of the remaining 14 games.

"I was thinking about that the other day. There is such a long way to go and so much work still to be done," he said.

The Tigers won't have to wait long to get an acid test – they confront the back-to-form St Kilda at Telstra Dome on Sunday.

"They're a great side with a lot of fantastic players," Richardson said. "They really found their form this week, so that is a real test for us and after next Monday we might know how much we have improved.

"This is the one we need to step up in. We didn't step up when we played Geelong in Round 1 so here's another chance for us here."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15010037%255E20322,00.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 03:29:09 AM by one-eyed »

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 07:49:54 AM »
Budgie smugglers - lol.  Richo is also looking less hairy than he has in the past.  Maybe he caught my comment a few years ago about getting waxed.  As I remember, Melbourne beaches were always so cold, even on quite warm days.  You only went in if it was scorching hot weather.

Ox

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »
LMAO Jewlz.

U just cream your dacks every time u see Richo dont you.lol.

Poor hubby. :scream

2JD

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »
I thought of you on Sunday Julz. Richo plonked his enormous foot (yes foot!) up on the fence in front of us to do his stretches and I just didnt know where to look. I'm sure you would have siezed the opportunity and given him a leg rub down or something lol. Me?

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 03:25:48 PM »
Nah, I would have said "So how's it hangin" :lol :rollin