Author Topic: Congrats to Gas - 200 games  (Read 3324 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Congrats to Gas - 200 games
« on: April 18, 2005, 05:37:24 PM »
Although you still hold your breath when he kicks, Gas' return to his old self in our defence has been one of the main reasons we have 3 wins on the board. Knowing his limitations it's hard to fault his form this year. Congrats on making it to 200 games  :).

Stafford also plays his 50th game for the Tiges this week
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:55:03 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Congrats to Gas - 200 games
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 05:53:25 PM »
Gas has done the right thing by the club since injuring his knee, including coming back too early because he felt he owed to, so he deserves good luck and to have a good year. Good on him so far this season.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 05:56:26 PM »
Gas has done the right thing by the club since injuring his knee

True FF. Not to mention taking a pay cut when contractually he didn't have to.

Moi

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 06:00:40 PM »
Wouldn't matter what Gas did, whether he starts to get some form or take a pay cut, some will still not rate him.
But i do, and i think it's good to see some of the old gas back again, and hope he has a great 200th and, hopefully, he's around for a lot longer.
Go Gas!

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »
Im sick of the Gas bashing. If the guy could kick he would come under one of the greatest CHB of his time due to his ability to continual win the ball one out with his opponent. Note: WIN THE BALL, not just restrict his opponent. Im fed up with the Gas bashing (there was one lucky Tiger supporter who didnt leave the Hawks game with a broken jaw for his stupid output)....he was crucified last year by his coach and then by his fans.

We can sit adn defend until the cows....ummm (no Spudisms anymore) until I turn blue in the face but he is answering the questions SLOWLY but surely and will continue to do so all year.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 10:13:50 PM »
According to Clinton Grybas, Richo played his 198th game yesterday which means he'll play his 200th against Port in Round 6 (providing he doesn't get injured against the Saints).  And guess who'll be there in the flesh to cheer him on?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 12:28:59 AM »
According to Clinton Grybas, Richo played his 198th game yesterday which means he'll play his 200th against Port in Round 6 (providing he doesn't get injured against the Saints).  And guess who'll be there in the flesh to cheer him on?

Oh my goodness :gobdrop :gobdrop

Security, extra security please. I think there maybe a disruption to this game ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 04:45:09 PM »
And guess who'll be there in the flesh to cheer him on?

I can see one Tiger supporter switching ends each quarter to follow the progress of Richo and Simmonds in our forward line  ;D.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 04:36:48 AM »
Just another game
By Len Johnson
The Age
April 20, 2005

Darren Gaspar will line up for his 200th game on St Kilda's Fraser Gehrig on Sunday and, extraordinary as it seems after a woeful year for player and team, both Gaspar and Richmond have a credible chance of coming out on top.

Last year the Tigers ended with 14 losses on the trot, Gaspar endured the low point of his entire playing career while, in contrast, the Saints were a kick away from beating the eventual premier in the preliminary final and Gehrig kicked 100 goals.

Winning will be no easy task. Last Sunday against a Melbourne team that had established itself as the early 2005 pacesetter, St Kilda finally hit its straps. Kicks hit their target and St Kilda players hit their target, too, notably with Brent Guerra cleaning up Cameron Bruce, forcing the Melbourne midfielder off the ground with a shoulder injury less than a minute into the game.

Gehrig, who until last week had looked a parody of a Coleman medallist as he battled to overcome a pre-season back injury, suddenly found mobility and form to kick six goals.

Gaspar said yesterday that he would be more nervous playing against Gehrig than he would be on the occasion of such a milestone game.

"It's just another game," Gaspar said in talking about the 200th. "I'll probably be a bit nervous because it's going to be a big game and Fraser's (just) kicked six goals. I'll probably be more focused on that."

Gaspar endured a horrid time last year as he battled to find form after returning in a rush from a knee reconstruction. With Richmond's woeful performances, the departure of coach Danny Frawley and the fact that the key defender is on a lucrative contract, the blues just kept multiplying.

"Obviously, when you win four games, it's a pretty bleak season," said Gaspar. "(It was) the most difficult year that I've ever had in any grade of football. Four wins for the season as a senior player at a footy club you've been with for a while - it was a pretty tough time."

Gaspar said he had always retained the faith that he could return to his best. All he needed was a pre-season. He had one this year and the results are showing. He says he does not think about whether he is playing as well as he ever has.

"I don't know how you judge (best form). I'll leave that to you guys, but I'm feeling pretty confident about my body and the way I'm playing."

Gaspar admitted there had been extra pressure on him because of his contract and the expectations brought by being highly paid at a middling club.

"I've always taken the approach that you only worry about the things you can control - the way you train, the way you look after your body and the way you play. You can't really worry about what other people say."

Terry Wallace admitted that in his role last year as a media commentator, he had been a critic of Gaspar. He said he believed Gaspar had lost his confidence, was letting his opponent lead him to the ball and was therefore not utilising his own aggression at the ball, his leg speed and his "cat-like movement at ground level".

Gradually, Wallace observed these qualities returning in the pre-season.

"It was a gradual process. A month-and-a-half in, I saw that he was going to be the player that I needed him to be," he said.

Wallace echoed Gaspar's thoughts about the task facing the Tigers this week. They had identified opportunities with the first four rounds, he said, a couple of games against sides that finished low on the ladder last season, all games in Melbourne and a home game against an interstate opponent.

The unexpectedly poor showing against Geelong in round one excepted, Wallace said the club had "locked away" the chances the draw presented. St Kilda at Docklands was another step up.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/04/19/1113854199462.html?oneclick=true

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 04:39:24 AM »
Gaspar smoking on eve of milestone
Malcolm Conn
The Australian
April 20, 2005

IT is the opponent, not the occasion, that has Darren Gaspar nervous going into his 200th game on Sunday when Richmond meets heavyweight St Kilda.

The veteran Tigers defender will line up on the Saints' incredible hulk Fraser Gehrig just as the man-mountain is running into form.

"It's just another game (but) I'm a bit nervous because it's going to be a big game this week," Gaspar said of his milestone.

"Fraser kicked six goals on the weekend. I'm probably more focused about that."

The contest between Gaspar and Gehrig is likely to be a barometer of whether the Tigers have improved enough to be taken seriously after three successive win against bottom eight sides.

Should St Kilda's midfield be given the opportunity to continually bomb the ball forward, Gehrig almost certainly will end up with another healthy return.

St Kilda was a preliminary finalist last season and the Tigers were dreadful in the opening round against 2004's other preliminary finalists Geelong.

Coach Terry Wallace hopes for something significantly better.

"We'll have a bit more of a line through it after next Sunday but we thought we were pretty well prepared in round one and it didn't work out that way," Wallace said.

"This is another big challenge."

Even though Gehrig and the Saints had a slow start to the season through injury, both exploded against a previously unbeaten Melbourne last weekend.

St Kilda in a dangerous mood under the roof in the controlled atmosphere of Telstra Dome can be virtually unstoppable.

"They're terrific around the stoppages," Wallace said. "They're one of the best sides at getting first use of the ball.

"We've been pretty good in those areas ourselves, and to me that's where the game's going to be won.

"Telstra Dome notoriously brings pretty high scores.

"St Kilda have been a high-scoring side, with a big score on the weekend.

"We've been a bit inclined to be that way ourselves, we've been kicking reasonable scores."

The Tigers have been aiming for 16 goals a game under Wallace. They would have got there last Sunday had they not kicked 1.7 in the last quarter as they overran Fremantle.

Richmond and St Kilda have kicked almost 400 points for the season in the first four games, but it was the ominous way the Saints ran over the usually free-flowing Demons to boot 23 goals that set alarm bells ringing.

"The nature of Telstra Dome is the ball gets from A to B pretty quickly," Wallace said. He said St Kilda had the ability to break sides in 15 minutes, given its record at Docklands.

"Over the past 18 months, they have been a really powerful starting side, really wanting to impose themselves," he said.

"All great footy sides do that and they kick big scores early. That's the challenge for our guys: to withstand that.

"It's the start of the game where both sides come in, wanting to prove a point, butting heads at the start and if one can get a strong statement over the other one it sometimes can be lasting.

"Quite regularly the side that gets that strong willpower over the other side wins games of footy."

Wallace said a winning start to the season had raised spirits but not clouded expectations.

"I've seen a group of guys who were low in self-esteem when I arrived, get some of that back," he said.

"But not too many of them are getting ahead of themselves and I don't think we've achieved that much yet."

Coming off such a bad year, when Richmond won the wooden spoon, Gaspar appreciates the changes at Punt Road as much as a full pre-season to fully get over a knee reconstruction. "Obviously if you win four games for the year it's a pretty bleak year," he said.

"It's probably the most difficult year I've ever had in any grade of football.

"It is exciting (this year) because we're playing a lot better footy, and a lot better brand of footy.

"You can take the wins, but the way we're going about it is pretty exciting stuff."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15023327%255E36035,00.html

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 07:13:17 AM »
Good luck to him. Will be a big test on the weekend. So far he hasn't really played on a full forward of any real note and we'll see where Gaspar's at after the weekend.

Will never possess great skills or decision making but let's hope his pace and ball-reading ability get back to what they were. :thumbsup

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 01:10:25 PM »
Great achievement for anyone to reach 200 AFL games.  Well done to Gas. :thumbsup

Hope he goes on and has a great season.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
Congrats Gas and good luck on Sunday :thumbsup. Let's hope we can finally win one of your milestone games.

Hope your opponent has a possessionless day, 0 0 0 0 0 0.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gaspars inspired by family
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 04:33:30 AM »
Gaspars inspired by family
By Steve Butler
The Age
April 24, 2005

West Coast forward Travis Gaspar will use the courageous 200-game milestone of his older brother, Darren, against St Kilda tonight as motivation to reignite his injury-ravaged career.

Richmond defender Darren, 28, said that last season had been the toughest of his 12-year AFL career with Sydney and Richmond, as he struggled for form after a knee reconstruction in 2003.

He said the support of his family in Western Australia had been the emotional linchpin for his successful return to the game.

Meanwhile, his talented younger brother, Travis, who has played only 26 games for the Eagles in the past four seasons due to injury, also told how the strength of his tight-knit family and the special achievement of his brother kept him on track for an AFL return.

"It's a fantastic effort, especially after last year having such a tough time coming back from the knee and with everyone jumping on his back saying he was finished," the 24-year-old said of Darren's milestone.

"Now he's got a full pre-season under his belt, he's feeling good about himself and enjoying his footy again. He's just full of confidence, which is fantastic to see and I'm just so happy for him.

"It's been a tough road for him. With me looking at it, I know people in the AFL get injured and it's just so hard to even get to 50 games - to come back from a knee and get to 200 in full-flight is remarkable."

Last year, Darren described himself and Travis as brothers and best mates. He said the pair and another brother, Damien, who played 29 games for Melbourne between 1995 and 1998, had always followed a family creed of persistence prescribed by parents Ned and Tiha.

The dual All-Australian's previous milestone matches at 50, 100 and 150 AFL games had all resulted in Richmond losses, but this match against St Kilda had extra excitement as his parents would be at Telstra Dome and the Tigers were chasing their fourth successive win.

"Two hundred games is a big milestone and it will be pretty special to have mum and dad there," he said. "When you do a knee you do struggle sometimes, but you know your family is always there with you."

Travis is recovering from a foot injury and has resumed training but is yet to join West Coast's main squad. "Growing up you'd love to play 200 AFL games and all of a sudden your brother's doing it and it's something the family is very, very proud of," he said.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/04/23/1114152362245.html