Author Topic: Ivan Maric on SEN Monday morning  (Read 2448 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ivan Maric on SEN Monday morning
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
From RFC twitter:

"IN THE MEDIA: The Mullet gives you no choice....you must listen to him on @morningglorysen tomorrow morning. @andymaher5"

Jackstar is back again

Re: Ivan Maric on SEN Monday morning
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
He will be on at 7.40 am

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:54 AM »
Anyone listen in?

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
great interview
went for 12 mins
Very down to earth is Ivan
Spoke about his bet with the Adelaide players to grow the mullet
His career is all about the team and not about him
All he wants is a team enviroment
Likes working with the midfield players .
Extremely soft speaking , loves it at Punt Rd.
Just wants to do his best each week and be a contributor :gotigers

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
Maric a true believer

RICHMOND ruckman Ivan Maric says his impressive start at his new AFL home has been a matter of timing, opportunity, self-belief and maturity.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/137041/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
For Tigers tragics, he's a Maric made in heaven (Age)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
For Tigers tragics, he's a Maric made in heaven
Will Brodie
May 28, 2012 - 1:00PM

For a generation, Richmond fans have been waiting for a Monday like today, when they can listen to a cult hero say good things about the Tigers after a win that meant something.

For the thousands of Tiger tragics listening to SEN this morning, the interview with ruck hero Ivan Maric would have delivered in spades. The mullet-haired big man described Richmond's stunning 62-point win over former premiership favourites Hawthorn as “bloody sensational”.

“We feel like we've been pretty close over the whole season, even in all our losses. But to get a result like we did on the weekend it was really special and something great you can share with your teammates. We were rapt with it.”

Maric continued his career-best form in the rout of the Hawks, recording midfielder-like stats of 18 touches, and seven tackles to go with his 27 hit-outs and a goal.

“We feel that… we've had those losses and most of them have been really close and we've had opportunities to win them…. We feel like we should have won more games than we have so far.

“That's why we have got a really strong belief in the way we can play. And the way we can play can match it against the top sides.

“I love the feeling within the group at the moment and I think it's going to take us somewhere in the future, it's really exciting to be a part of.”

Maric played with Adelaide from 2006 to 2011, playing 77 games, but he never cemented the number one rucking role with the Crows, and he played only 6 games in 2011.

Given the responsibility to be the main man by Richmond, the whole-hearted competitor has enjoyed massive rises in productivity, averaging 16 disposals and 30 hit-outs per game. Maric says he always believed in his ability, and a combination of maturity and opportunity have enabled him to thrive at Tigerland.

“I think it's probably credit to the club in the way it's welcomed me to the club. Not just the players but the staff as well. They've made me feel relaxed and like I belong. I've sort of embraced the culture and feel really privileged to be part of the club and I'm looking forward to the future.”

Richmond needed a competitor in the clinches to complement its exciting young midfield, and the fit was perfect for the All-Australian contender.

“They said we want your style of game, just play aggressive and compete and compete and compete. And that's what I love doing… I play my best footy when I'm doing those things. It definitely makes you feel more confident when the coaching staff believes in you.

“You mature a lot physically and mentally. So I'm 26 now and I've had a few different coaches… and I've been educated really well. I feel really comfortable in my role and knowing what to do and really clear about it.”

“I really enjoy being part of the team and I love team success that's what I play the game, because I can share it with my teammates.

“I really enjoy bringing energy and a lot of enthusiasm on game day as well as at training and looking after my teammates. That's how I love playing my footy so I'm going to keep doing that and hopefully my teammates can enjoy that.

Richmond fans have embraced the ruckman, with many wearing wigs that emulate Maric's landmark mullet. Maric and former teammates Taylor Walker began utilising the retro 'do last year at Adelaide, but they have different approaches to upkeep.

“Taylor Walker, I think he's been grooming his a fair bit, whereas I've just let mine go wild. We didn't expect it to get as much attention as it did, it was half-way through last year.

“At the moment it hasn't crossed my mind one bit to cut it off, so my plan is long-term.

“There's guys like Matthew Jaensch and Bernie Vince who were all talk at the start but when it came down to it they pulled out.”

Such details would have been sweet and vital news to the ears of Tiger fans this morning.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/for-tigers-tragics-hes-a-maric-made-in-heaven-20120528-1zec4.html#ixzz1w8BQV6hc
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:17:30 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' faith inspires AFL ruckman Ivan Maric (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »
Tigers' faith inspires AFL ruckman Ivan Maric

Sam Lienert
    May 28, 2012 6:51PM

RICHMOND'S boom ruck recruit Ivan Maric says faith and opportunity are the keys to his remarkable form upsurge with the Tigers this AFL season.

The fiercely competitive 26-year-old has been the recruit of the year so far, his decision to move from Adelaide paying handsome dividends for both club and player.

After managing just 77 games in six seasons with the Crows, Maric has become one of the Tigers' most important players, with Richmond having desperately needed a ruck boost.

His number of hit-outs, marks and disposals are all way up on what he averaged with Adelaide and Maric said the faith shown by the Richmond coaching staff was a big factor.

"They said `We want your style of game, just play aggressive and compete and compete and compete,'" Maric told Melbourne's SEN radio on Monday.

"That's what I love doing, that's when I play my best footy when I'm doing those things.

"It definitely makes you feel more confident when the coaching staff say those things."

Maric said it was a case of perfect timing, arriving at a club on their way up as he was reaching the level of physical and mental maturity to produce his best.

"I've always had the belief that I could play like this as well, even when I was at Adelaide," he said.

Maric, who described being part of the Tigers' watershed win over Hawthorn on Saturday as "bloody sensational",
said he had been quickly embraced by teammates and club staff.

He has also quickly developed cult figure status among the club's fans, enhanced by his mullet hairdo.

Maric said his impact in the ruck should only grow, as his relationships with the Tigers midfield brigade become
better established.

He will be a key against St Kilda on Friday night, with the Saints hampered by injuries to ruck options Ben McEvoy and Rhys Stanley.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/tigers-faith-inspires-afl-ruckman-ivan-maric/story-e6frf9jf-1226370321799

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
Anyone listen in?

Yeah listened to it.

Very humble and appreciative and has fitted into the club beautifully.

Has embraced the club, his teammates and Dimma's philosophy.

What got me he is just so quiet when he speaks no cliches. A man of few words but what he says has impact. No fluff. Quite refreshing to hear and lets his footy do the talking. Very affable fellow.
Takes everything in his stride and can see why he is a cult hero. :thumbsup