Author Topic: U18s potential draftees thread 2012  (Read 13208 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18s potential draftees thread
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
Massive raps - Brodie Grundy
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au
Wed 07 Nov, 2012

BRODIE GRUNDY
DOB: 15/04/1994
Height: 202cm
Weight: 100kg
Club: Sturt/South Australia

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150631/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Ruckman who imposes himself on games with his physical presence. Excels in directing the ball at stoppages and can be a dangerous marking target up forward. Won All Australian U18 honours in 2011 and has played senior football with Sturt. Backed it up this year becoming a dual All Australian averaging 15 disposals and 24.2 hit outs in 2012.

Upside: Grundy switched from basketball to football shortly before the national under-16 carnival and has shown enormous improvement in a relatively short period of time. He has a strong work ethic and all indications are that he will continue that rapid rate of improvement. He's quite physically advanced for a big guy his age and he's not afraid to throw that big frame about. He was the dominant ruckman at the under-18 carnival and impressed with his willingness to stay in the contest once the ball hits the deck at a stoppage. Grundy's mobility is also seen as one of his greatest assets. He's dangerous inside forward 50, but is also very adept below his knees and has neat finishing skills.

"He's clearly the best ruckman in the draft system at the moment. He's been really competitive playing against men in the SANFL after having a really good championships this year and last year as well. He virtually won two games for South Australia last year at the 18s as a bottom-ager and he was really good this year again as expected - he just influences games. I'd be surprised if he didn't make an appearance in his first year, which is unusual for a ruckman. Kreuzer did, Naitanui did and I would think he would too." - former Adelaide recruiter Matt Rendell.

Downside: Given his late arrival on the scene Grundy is still learning about his positioning around the ground. He wins plenty of hit-outs, but will continue to work on increasing his hit-out-to-advantage percentage.

Plays like: At 202cm Grundy is the same height as fellow Croweater Sam Jacobs and is just 5kg lighter despite the six-year age difference. He brings similar aggression to the contest as Jacobs does and is also a willing worker once the ball spills to the ground.

Draft range: A lot of the concerns club's can have with drafting a ruckman inside the top 10 don't apply to Grundy given his advanced physical development. He still has a large upside and it wouldn't surprise to see him taken inside the top five with the Giants a good fit.

In his own words: "I'm pretty aggressive, I thrive on the contest, and provide good second and third efforts after the hit-out. I'd say that I'm pretty honest and try to give 100 per cent all the time. I don't really liken myself to any AFL player, but I like the way Dean Cox goes about it and Nic Naitanui as well. If I can be half the player Dean Cox is I'll be happy with that."

Stats from NAB AFL U18 Championships:
Matches   Kicks   Handballs   Marks   Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions    Tackles    Goals
    5           46           29            22           72                 72%                                38                          8          9.2

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150631/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »
Nathan Hrovat - No short steps after King hit
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Wed 07 Nov, 2012

A YELLOW Sherrin sits at the front porch of Nathan Hrovat's house, worn-in but still with enough life to bounce off the boot. Inside, in the living room, there's another footy, this one in a little better shape and with the midfielder's surname marked next to the laces.

At the top of the staircase hangs a signed and framed Collingwood jumper. In one corner of the poolroom stands a trophy cabinet, full of medals and photos from the midfielder's junior career.

When he opens the curtains, an outdoor gym on the verandah is revealed, where Hrovat has sweated through sessions since his 17th birthday last June. The extra light in the room directs more attention to a few other things inside, too.

Underneath Hrovat's under-12s Victorian jumper, itself framed, autographed and pinned to a wall, sits his bounty of trophies collected this season.

There's the Vic Metro most valuable player award, next to the Northern Knights best and fairest, which is nestled between Metro's best and fairest trophy, and a signed football from the APS representative team Hrovat captained near the end of the season.

His All Australian jumper, earned after an excellent NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, is in the process of being framed, a new addition to a room already brimming with honours. It all makes for one thing.

"It's been a pretty good year for me, I've been pretty happy with it," Hrovat tells AFL.com.au with the big smile that defines him almost as much as his ball-winning ability.

There's a couple of key reasons behind Hrovat's season; one is that he's really talented.

Hrovat has always been a good footballer, capable of digging into packs, coming up with the ball then running off with it or finding a teammate. But he hasn't always had the discipline to match that ability.

The second major factor in his rise as a possible first-round selection at this year's NAB AFL Draft is a jolt that came at the start of 2011 from Carey Grammar coach, and two-time North Melbourne premiership player, David King.

King told Hrovat he needed to work harder, corners needed to stop being cut, he had to train more, for longer, and in a more professional way.

"We really challenged him. He always played comfortably and never trained overly hard," says King.

King worked Hrovat hard throughout 2011. At every meeting, he would speak to him and about his influence, and did the same every half-time break. Hrovat didn't enjoy his best year, but he learned a few things.

At the end of the season he had a plan. It revolved around getting fitter and stronger. As one of the shortest midfielders in the draft (listed at 176cm and 76kg), Hrovat recognised he needed to improve his strengths to the point his height was irrelevant.

Over Christmas he and his family went to the Gold Coast for a holiday. Hrovat paid for a week-long membership at a local gym, and ran along the beach regularly. Kris took him to Metricon Stadium for a run, but when the gates were locked they drove to Southport's home ground instead to make sure the session happened.

"It wasn't a relaxing summer, I can assure you of that," Hrovat says.

He also organised to meet with North Melbourne champion Brent Harvey, a player of similar stature to Hrovat. Harvey's father-in-law lives in the same street as Hrovat, and helped tee up the meeting. Several more catch-ups throughout the season, to talk about breakaway speed, fitness, kicking, and what to expect about the draft, broadened the relationship.

Hrovat saw the benefit during this year. He had a stronger body that didn't get pushed off the ball, and he could run out games better than before. During the national carnival, he played all five of Vic Metro's games and averaged 25 disposals.

Hrovat is a busy player: he's quick to shoot off handballs, spins out of trouble and hits targets on both feet. He takes lots of short quick steps when in the clear and keeps his feet when fighting for the ball.   

"I've been told my whole life that I'm too short, I'm no good and I'm not going to make it. But I never let that really worry me," Hrovat says.

"I worked to my strengths and tried to work on them so I could separate myself from those other players. That's really helped me this year, my inside game has developed and my decision-making has developed as well. Those aspects I was able to work on to separate myself even though of my height."

At times, however, he has wondered if it was the reason behind things. When he missed out on a game with Vic Metro as a bottom-aged player last year, and didn't even get a chance during a trial game, he thought it could have been because of his height.

"But looking back on it, nothing's ever going to be about your size. It's about if you're good enough. That's what all these AFL clubs in the interviews are saying. Looking back at my mentality, it was a really negative one.

"But my personality didn't let it get me down. I just wanted to go again and again and keep going at it."

Hrovat hasn't really stopped since his season finished. Even last week, between studying for exams, he was training at the athletics track, making sure if he'll be ready for that happens next.

"He was our captain this year and he embraces everybody," says Northern Knights region manager Peter Kennedy.

"I've never seen him attend a training session down in the dumps or moody. He's always up. Nathan's having a good day every day, and he's been preparing for this opportunity for two years."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150799/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »
Fists of Clurey
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au
Thu 08 Nov, 2012

TOM CLUREY
DOB: 23/03/1994
Height: 192cm
Weight: 83kg
Club: Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150635/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: A strong-bodied tall defender that reads the play very well. Can shut down opposition key forwards whilst also providing good rebound from defence. Displays excellent leadership qualities, very good endurance and strong hands in the marking contest. Played all five games for Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 11.8 disposals and 3.8 Rebound 50s.

Upside: Clurey's big weapon is his elite endurance. He recorded the best beep test result (15.1) at this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine and also put up the second-best 3km time trial run of 10m 01s. He's pretty quick to boot - he ran under three seconds in the 20m sprint - which allows him to make up ground quickly to spoil the leading forward. He reads the play well, has the confidence to leave his opponent where necessary and disposes of it well off both sides. He has good hands and has also shown some potential as a forward. Like North Melbourne's Sam Wright he's from Katamatite, which is about an hour's drive north-west out of Wangaratta.

"He's got a really good base to launch from and, like a lot of country guys, once they're in that full-time system a lot of them can have a really big impact. We think Tom is a fantastic young man and he's had a really solid year as a key defender with us. He's certainly ticked a lot of boxes along his journey. He played for Vic Country in the under-16s and at the under-18s, usually on bigger-bodied opponents, but he competed really well. He's a good competitor, he reads the game pretty well and his foot skills are right up there. He's certainly above average in his kicking efficiency." - Murray Bushrangers region manager Andrew Carson.

Downside: Clurey doesn't get a lot of the ball at this point in his career and any prospective AFL team will work with him to make him a more damaging prospect off half-back. As his confidence grows he'll have the tank and the ability to launch longer attacking runs. 

Plays like: There's a bit of Sam Fisher in Clurey's play. The youngster is 1cm taller than the star Saint and shares similar athletic traits along with the ability to play in a key post or on a smaller opponent.

Draft range: Clurey sits somewhere in the bottom half of the first round and could even last into the second. He'd slot nicely into the defensive mix at St Kilda, Port Adelaide or the Western Bulldogs.

In his own words: "I'm a mobile back man who can play on short or tall opponents. I'm not the biggest ball winner, but I'm efficient and a good runner who reads the play well from the back line. I'm not the tallest defender, but I'm mobile and can drop off an opponent to help out a teammate."

Matches   Kicks   Handballs   Marks  Disposals    Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions    Tackles    Goals
     5          46           13           19          59                    69.5%                        17                             6          0.0

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150635/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
Mr Versatile - Kristian Jaksch
By Callum Twomey
Fri 09 Nov, 2012

KRISTIAN JAKSCH
DOB: 07/10/1994
Height: 195cm
Weight: 87kg
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

Bio: Tall forward/defender who is extremely strong overhead, averaging 5.6 marks and 13 disposals for Vic Metro in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Kicked six goals against Tasmania in an outstanding performance and uses the ball well by foot when in defence. Makes good decisions with the ball, shows excellent vision and is a strong spoiler.

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150792/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Upside: There's a lot to like with Jaksch, particularly in a draft full of midfielders. He grew in confidence through the championships, and has become a more rounded prospect, refining his talent to use the ball more consistently. Clubs like Jaksch's skill level - he's a superb long kick on both feet - and his capacity to watch a game unfold and predict its next move. He's also agile and smart when the ball hits the ground. The 18-year-old's flexibility further increases his value as an early selection. During the TAC Cup finals series, Jaksch was regularly moved from attack to defence and vice versa, and managed to make an impact everywhere he went. He also kept Calder Cannons forward, and star father-son recruit, Joe Daniher, to three goals in the Chargers' elimination final win. It was an important job that Jaksch fulfilled in another sign of him maturing into a top prospect.

"He's been outstanding this year with his leadership, and willingness to change his game from a key forward. We made a conscious decision to develop him as a player down back and we have been absolutely rapt with his willingness to learn another position. It makes him more of a 'draftable' player and more of a commodity to AFL ranks." - Oakleigh Chargers region manager Mart Smart.

Downside: Sometimes Jaksch floats out of games, but that's a very minor slight that age and experience will correct in time. Already this season he has shown major improvement in that area, something that has impressed those who have been watching him for several years. Jaksch is a really talented key-position player with few significant flaws at this stage.

Plays like: Jaksch is versatile, a little like Hawthorn's Jarryd Roughead. Roughead is just as capable in attack as he is holding down a stopping role in defence, and has also been used in the ruck. Jaksch showed signs the ruck wasn't beyond him in the last quarter of Oakleigh's TAC Cup Grand Final win over Gippsland, winning some important hit-outs.

Draft range: Given his standing as one of the few key-position players available at the top end of the draft, Jaksch will have a lot of clubs clamouring to pick him. He's probably going to be taken in No.8-No.14 range. If the Lions don't take him, Carlton would seem best placed to recruit Jaksch with pick 11 given its need for some key-position talent. The Giants, with picks 12 and 14, could also be interested in adding to their pool of key-position players.

In his own words: "I think I'm pretty unique in that you can't narrow me down to one position. I think that's something clubs would find interesting. I can genuinely plays those two roles and have the ability to play either end."

Matches  Kicks   Handballs   Marks    Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles   Goals
    5          54          11            28            65               56.9%                             41                          11        8.4

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150792/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »
Plow anchor
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Sat 10 Nov, 2012

LACHIE PLOWMAN
DOB: 11/09/1994
Height: 192cm
Weight: 84kg
Club: Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150797/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Tall defender with terrific ability to win the contested ball in the air and at ground level. Poised with the ball in his hands and makes smart decisions. Was in great form early in the year with the AIS-AFL Academy and Calder before elbow surgery ruled him out of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Made a strong return in latter stages of the season with Calder.

Upside: Plowman was in brilliant form in the TAC Cup before his elbow injury, forced to miss about three months. However, missing the U18 Champs didn't hinder his draft prospects much, especially after playing for Metro in 2011 as a bottom-ager. Plowman is a natural footballer with courage, excellent foot skills, and an ability to read the game and rebound from defence. He knows when to zone off his man, but is also a defensive general, organising the backline and has a calming presence. Importantly, he carries a positive attitude, something that helped him get through the disappointment of this season. Scouts who attended Metro training sessions were impressed by his work ethic when returning from injury, particularly when he was running laps at full tilt with his arm in a specially designed protective cast. It wouldn't surprise to see him slot into an AFL team in his debut season.

"I like the way he competes, I like the way he positions himself as a defender, and I especially like the way he wins the footy in the back half and is able to find space and attack. Once we've got control of the ball he's one of the first ones out, running into space." - Calder Cannons coach Martin Allison.

Downside: If there's anything recruiters are wondering about, it's Plowman's height. He's 192cm, considered a couple of cm short of being a true key-position player. But it hasn't held him back so far. Some believe he might end up as a midfielder or playing further up the field, something Plowman wanted to try this season before his elbow injury.

Plays like: Plowman is similar to Greater Western Sydney defender Matt Buntine, who was selected with pick five at last year's draft. They both take on bigger players, and have the versatility to move around the ground. Plowman is a bit taller than Buntine but their competitive instincts are about even.

Draft range: Expect Plowman to be one of the first 10 names read out at the draft. He could go as high as pick No.3 to the Giants if they are keen on picking a player outside of the midfield, but could as drop to the Tigers at pick nine or anywhere in between.

In his own words: "It was a pretty frustrating year because the championships are something you build up to and work towards, so when I found out I couldn't play I had to take a back seat a little. But I was reassured in knowing that towards the end of the year I'd be able to come back. It held me in good stead getting a few games in later in the year."

Stats from 2012 TAC Cup:
Matches  Kicks   Handballs   Marks  Disposals    Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles    Goals
    6           54          38           19          92                    N/A                              N/A                        20          1.0

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150797/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
Punch above - Tanner Smith
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Sun 11 Nov, 2012

TANNER SMITH
DOB: 08/03/94
Height: 195cm
Weight: 88kg
Club: North Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150805/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Tall defender who has good closing speed and reads the game extremely well coming into the opposition forward line. Makes good decisions on when to mark or spoil and provides good run from defence. Has shown ability to go forward and have an impact. Stood tall for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year matching up well on the opposition's best forward.

Upside: Smith stepped into North Ballarat's centre half-back position last year as a bottom-age player and established himself as a promising player. As a 17-year-old he took on some of the best forwards in the TAC Cup, including Jonathon Patton, the first player picked at last year's NAB AFL Draft. In 2012, Smith played most of the year in defence before the Rebels gave him some exposure as a key forward late in the season. He showed signs it could be a switch he makes more often in the future, although he will be drafted for his defensive and disciplined efforts. The 18-year-old is getting stronger, can run all day and is very good at shutting down an opponent and limiting their influence.

"Some boys show a bit of nervousness playing as 17-year-olds, but he did that last year with a lot of maturity and did it very well. We knew he could play down back, but we developed him in that forward role to expand his skills. His endurance base is excellent and he blew a lot of his opponents up with his work-rate." North Ballarat Rebels region manager Phil Partington

Downside: While Smith had a very good year in 2011, he hasn't stood out nearly as much this year. He's been solid without being sensational, making it harder for clubs to assess where he sits in this year's pool. But he did end the year with some excellent testing results at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, running 2.99 seconds in the 20m sprint and 10.18 in the 3km time-trial (top 10 per cent.)

Plays like: A bit like Adelaide's Daniel Talia, who won the NAB Rising Star this year, Smith is a defender who sticks at his task. He isn't overly flashy but he loves to jump and spoil, and thrives on keeping his opponents to as few shots at goal as possible. At the same stage of their development Talia was ahead of Smith, but they are players who share the same defend-at-all-costs mindset.

Draft range: Seems likely to be a second-round selection, picked somewhere in the 30-40 category. Would suit a club on the lookout for some extra key defensive depth. St Kilda would seem an obvious fit given its lack of talls, and Smith spent a week at the club earlier this year through the AIS-AFL Academy. Gold Coast, Fremantle and Collingwood might also be in the hunt for more depth.

In his own words: "I like to say I'm a team player. I think that one-on-one stuff is a strength of my game as well and something I do take seriously. I just love that one-on-one contest down back."

Matches   Kicks    Handballs    Marks    Disposals    Disposal efficiency    Contested possessions    Tackles    Goals
    4            23           15            12             38                   71.1%                            12                         24         0.0

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150805/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »
Scary prospect - Tim O'Brien
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au
Mon 12 Nov, 2012

TIM O'BRIEN
DOB: 23/03/1994
Height: 193cm
Weight: 80kg
Club: Glenelg/South Australia

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150826/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Tall, quick-moving forward whose x-factor is his overhead marking. Averaged five marks and 2.2 goals a game in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and is a reliable set shot for goal. His six goals against Tasmania in round one was a highlight."

Upside: O'Brien's draft stocks have risen over the course of his first full season in the SANFL and with SA at the national carnival. He moved to Adelaide to further his footy career after taking part in West Gambier's senior premiership in the Western Border Football League last year. He came from three deep to take an impressive pack mark to boot the first of his six goals in his standout performance against Tasmania at the national carnival and he is capable of taking some big grabs. He's a nice set shot for goal and has shown potential in other areas of the ground with the Tigers also playing him down back this year while giving him the opportunity to pinch hit in the ruck.

"The thing that really excites me about Tim is that he's a lovely height, he's got good speed and a good sound body - he's got enormous upside to him. He's AFL material with what he can offer a club with his all-round ability and is going to be a dangerous player and someone the opposition is going to have to be very much aware of up forward. Once the experience comes, the frame gets strong and the mind gets strong … it's frightening really. If he's got the will and the want and he gets into a good system I think they'll have a really good long-term player." - Glenelg football manager Ken Applegarth.

Downside: O'Brien is still quite a raw prospect and needs to further develop his knowledge of the game. He'll need to learn the tricks of the forward trade and how to deal with the attention of a close-checking defender. He gets himself to plenty of marking contests, but still drops a few marks that he should be taking.

Plays like: O'Brien has some of the athletic attributes of a young Adam Goodes. He ran a sub-three second 20m sprint at the NAB AFL Draft Combine and also managed the second-best agility rating at the Etihad Stadium event. Applegarth believes he even has the potential to play on a wing once he builds his tank.

Draft range: O'Brien will likely get taken somewhere late in the first round or in the top half of the second. Teams looking to bolster their tall stocks in that range include Adelaide, the Brisbane Lions and the Western Bulldogs.

In his own words: "I'm an athletic, versatile and agile player, who can play in a number of positions. Being an athletic yet taller player, which allows me to play a number of different roles [is one of my strengths]. I'd like to improve my tackling, chasing and work-rate."

Matches   Kicks    Handballs   Marks   Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles   Goals
    5            24           24            21           48                   81.2%                         32                          3        11.4

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150826/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »
'Sleeping giant' - Marco Paparone
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au
Tue 13 Nov, 2012

MARCO PAPARONE
DOB: 03/09/1994
Height: 194cm
Weight: 84kg
Club: East Fremantle/Western Australia

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150865/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Tall forward with elite endurance (15+ beep test result) which allows him to keep presenting up forward or to play midfield which he did in the final game of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Dangerous around goal and creative player who averaged 16 disposals, four marks and 1.5 goals a game for WA this year.

Upside: Paparone is a lead-up forward whose main weapon is his capacity to run all day and lead early and often. He reads the play well, is a good mark overhead on the lead and is a very consistent contributor. He kicked 45 goals in 17 games for East Fremantle colts this season and hit the scoreboard in all but one match. He has an excellent work-rate with a nice turn of speed and can be counted on to chase and tackle. Paparone was voted WA's best and fairest player after the Sandgropers' national championships campaign and East Fremantle's most dedicated player.

"I think Marco is a sleeping giant - he's capable of a lot more than we've seen so far. I think it's a bit about self-belief with Marco. Endurance-wise he's elite, but he's also quite agile for a guy of 194cm - he could potentially play on a wing at the next level. At the championships he was often able to out-run his opponents, so he really can be damaging toward the end of quarters. I think he can develop into a really dangerous player." - WA talent manager Raff Guadagnino.

Downside: Paparone isn't the greatest kick, which is a flaw he will need to address in order for him to get the proper rewards for his hard work. Contested marking isn't a strength either, so he'll need to get better in that area to become a more potent attacking weapon at AFL level. If he's to come up onto a wing on a regular basis he'll also need to work on being a bit cleaner below his knees.

Plays like: Paparone possesses an endurance base and work-rate, similar to Nick Riewoldt, that allows him to go on multiple searching leads and present good options to teammates further up the field and also serves to wear out defenders.

Draft range: Paparone is a second-round prospect who would add something to the forward mix at Port Adelaide, the Brisbane Lions and Fremantle.

In his own words: "I'm a very hard-running player. I have good endurance and like to run up the ground from the forward line. Other strengths are my ability to take a mark out in front on the lead and reading the play."

Matches   Kicks    Handballs   Marks   Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles   Goals
    4            48          16            17           64                  54.9%                           22                         10        6.7

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150865/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »
(Aidan) Corr blimey
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Wed 14 Nov, 2012

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151058/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

AIDAN Corr might not be attracting too much attention in the lead-up to next week's NAB AFL Draft, but the key defender is quietly pushing as a possible top-15 selection.

While Corr is unlikely to break into the top 10 when names are read on the Gold Coast next Thursday night, the key defender could land at Carlton (pick 11) or Greater Western Sydney (picks 12 and 14), who hold selections in the vicinity Corr is set to be available.

Although the Giants are tipped to recruit Calder Cannons defender Lachie Plowman with pick three, they lost key back Jack Hombsch to Port Adelaide during Gillette AFL Trade Period, and Corr could be an immediate replacement at 194cm and 87kg.

The Northern Knights and Vic Metro defender is renowned for his speed, agility and aggression in defence, and is also an AIS-AFL Graduate.

It is considered unlikely he will be placed anywhere outside the top 20 picks, particularly given the lack of quality key position players in this year's crop.

But whether he takes the fancy of Gold Coast with its first pick is another question, with speculation the club has its eye on West Australian midfielder Josh Simpson.

Industry talk earlier this year suggested the Suns were even contemplating picking Simpson with selection two in the draft, had they not sent the pick to the Giants in return for 17-year-old West Australian star Jack Martin through the mini-draft.

The Suns, now with selection 13, could snare Simpson if he is still there at that stage.

Martin's arrival might have changed how the Suns rank Simpson, however some recruiters view them as different types of players.

"[Simpson] is a very slick mover - he knows how to move and when to move in traffic. Put a bit of grass in front of Josh and he's off - he'll make the most of the smallest opening," WA talent manager Raff Guadagnino told AFL.com.au.

"He's a real professional too. He takes his football very seriously, he doesn't just rely on pure skill, and he's a real leader in his community as well."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151058/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »
(Mason) Shaw thing
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au
Wed 14 Nov, 2012

MASON SHAW
DOB: 15/01/1994
Height: 198cm
Club: South Fremantle/Western Australia

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150912/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Tall forward who is very strong overhead and has smarts around goals. Kicked seven goals in the WAFL colts Grand Final in 2011. A reliable kick for goal from set shots as well as clever with his snap shots. Has excellent endurance for a tall with a beep score of 14-plus showing his potential to play across half-forward. Kicked four goals for WA against Vic Country this year. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Upside: Shaw is a powerful tall forward who excels in pressure situations - he followed up last year's seven-goal Grand Final haul for South Fremantle colts with another five goals in this year's premiership decider. He kicked 66 goals for the Bulldogs last year, but he suffered facial fractures early this season in an off-the-ball incident involving West Coast's Mitch Brown, which required surgery that put him out for more than three months. He's an accurate and long kick for goal from set shots, can also pinch-hit in the ruck, has a good tank and shows good leadership potential.

"He's a deep thinker, he thinks the game through, and anticipates how his midfielders are going then leads based on that. If they're under pressure and going to bomb it long then he'll hang back, but if they're having a good day out he'll lead more. We saw glimpses of what Mason can do throughout the championships (his return to footy after the long injury layoff) and if he'd had a bit more ball coming his way I think he would have improved out of sight." - WA talent manager Raff Guadagnino.

Downside: Shaw's confidence appeared to take a bit of a hit after he suffered his facial injury and a prospective AFL club will need to work with him to make sure he regains the swagger that most good power forwards play with. He'll also need to further develop his rucking if he's to relieve a lead ruckman at AFL level.

Plays like: Shaw is a big strapping forward in the mould of Collingwood's Travis Cloke. He's excellent overhead and very strong in a contesting marking like the big Pies' forward.

Draft range: Shaw didn't quite come on as many thought he would this year, which will give recruiters pause for thought. For that reason he probably slides to the back end of the first round or even into the second where St Kilda, Port Adelaide and the Brisbane Lions will be waiting to pounce.

In his own words: "I am a strong marking forward who has the ability to provide a target and kick goals. I can also play in the ruck if needed."

Matches   Kicks   Handballs  Marks   Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles    Goals
    5            26          11           15          37                 62.2%                         22                            3          10.4

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150912/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
Tough break - Jake Stringer
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Thu 15 Nov, 2012

JAKE STRINGER
DOB: 25/04/94
Height: 191cm
Weight: 93kg
Club: Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150967/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Tall forward/defender who excels one-on-one with his marking and body positioning. His kicking is both penetrating and precise, whether forward or back, and he has good speed off the mark. Thrives on the contest and tackles strongly. Overcame serious leg injury last season to play some excellent football for Bendigo Pioneers this year and represent Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Upside: After a badly broken leg in the opening round of the TAC Cup in 2011, Stringer returned to footy this year. Almost a year to the day of the original injury - a compound fracture of his tibia and fibula - he returned for the AIS-AFL Academy and played on the MCG against the Box Hill Hawks. After the academy's tour of Europe he played for Bendigo, and kicked nine goals in round one. It led to expectations Stringer would easily be able to recapture his best, something he struggled with. He had a quiet NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and was even dropped for Vic Country's match with Vic Metro. But not one to let it get to him, Stringer came back to play some much better footy at the backend of the season with the Pioneers and Bendigo Gold in the VFL. At his best, Stringer is a flexible, brilliant and tough player, capable of dominating games. His natural spring is excellent and he's strong in the air, while his ground work and physicality is also a plus.

"A lot of things come naturally to him. When he broke his leg he found it frustrating that he couldn't do the same things he could before the injury. He's always got people saying that he won't come back the same from his broken leg and all that. But I've got no doubt that given time he'll be fine." - Vic Country coach Mark Ellis.

Downside: The question on Stringer is obvious: will he be able to recapture his best form or will the broken leg always limit him? This is what makes Stringer a difficult prospect to measure, because where some clubs view his progress as encouraging, others are not so sure they'd take a punt on him with an early pick. The bone is still healing, and he's still limited with the amount of running he can do on it, but Stringer believes it will be no long-term hindrance.

Plays like: Stringer describes himself as a little like Brendon Goddard, and he has the same versatility. He's probably best through the midfield when up and going, and is an excellent user of the ball as well. When not in the midfield he tends to stay forward, but has been used in defence for the Pioneers and showed the ability to dictate a game from there as well.

Draft range: As Vic Country talent manager Leon Harris puts it, Stringer is the "mystery" of this year's crop. On talent he would be a top-10 selection, but after his injury nobody is quite sure where he fits or where he'll end up. Stringer will most likely be picked in the 10-20 range. Geelong is a big fan of his, but a number of other clubs are interested.

In his own words: "It's an interesting one because so many people now are doubting me because of my leg. But for me I know come round one next year I'll be ready. And there'll be nothing that will stop me from doing that. My leg's fine, everything's fine."

Matches   Kicks   Handballs   Marks  Disposals    Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles   Goals
    3           10          13              3          23                    56.5%                         11                           5          0.2

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150967/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
Man of medal - Nick Graham
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au
Fri 16 Nov, 2012

NICK GRAHAM
DOB: 12/06/1994
Height: 183cm
Weight: 79kg
Club: Gippsland Power/Vic Country

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150980/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Medium midfielder who is a terrific competitor with great lateral movement and evasive ability. Strong overhead and very good by foot, he has been a prolific ball winner for Gippsland Power this year averaging 25 disposals. Can also play role up forward presenting as a target and applying good defensive pressure.

Upside: Graham manages to straddle the line between inside and outside onballer very well - he's a ferocious tackler and clearance winner, but is also an excellent run and carry player. He has elite endurance, takes a good grab and is dangerous around goals when resting up forward, but is equally threatening with the ball in his hands when looking to pinpoint a target inside 50. The Morrish medallist suffered a knee injury before the TAC Cup Grand Final that would later require surgery, but was able to push through the pain barrier to be rated his side's best player in the over-time loss.

"We always really highly rated him here … we knew that he had an enormous amount of talent. He was probably more of an outside [mid] when he was younger, but Nick Stevens has had a huge impact on him and he's really built his game around defensive pursuits. He realised that if he wanted to be a good player he had to be more inside and make sure that he chased, tackled, smothered and harassed and did all those things that really good players do. He's gone out and done a lot of that himself, which is testament to how badly he wants to play AFL footy." - Power region manager Peter Francis.

Downside: Graham is not the quickest onballer, but it wasn't a handicap at TAC Cup level where he proved hard to pin down in traffic. He also had some minor knee issues, which kept him from playing a lot of footy for the Power before this year. He had a clean-up after the season, but it is not expected to hinder his ability to participate in an AFL pre-season.

Plays like: Graham is a willing tackler in the mould of North's Andrew Swallow. In addition to doing his bit for the team, he hunts the ball carrier as a means to get himself involved in the contest, which allows him to get his own hands on the ball.

Draft range: Graham is a late-first/early-second round draft prospect who could be capable of seeing some senior action in a younger midfield brigade at the Bulldogs, Gold Coast or Port Adelaide.

In his own words: "[Winning the Morrish Medal] is something I didn't expect, but I'm over the moon. Last year I was unlucky to get dropped for the finals. I wasn't really performing, so I worked really hard in pre-season and got a lot of feedback on parts of my game I needed to improve." - The Weekly Times.

Matches   Kicks   Handballs    Marks    Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles   Goals
    4            39         33             17             72                62.5%                           33                          20        0.0

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150980/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
Tassie tough - Jesse Lonergan
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Sat 17 Nov, 2012

JESSE LONERGAN

DOB: 14/11/94
Club: Launceston/Tasmania

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151091/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Tough medium midfielder who attacks the ball aggressively and is clean with his ball handling and distribution. Has explosive power and is very competitive, always showing great intensity around the contest and strong second efforts. The nephew of recently delisted Essendon midfielder Sam Lonergan and an AIS-AFL Academy graduate. Overcame injury to play the final three matches in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 16.3 disposals and laying 5.3 tackles a game.

Upside: The hard-bodied midfielder is the best player out of Tasmania, but endured an injury-interrupted season. At an AIS-AFL Academy camp earlier this year, Lonergan got caught in a tackle and suffered a torn posterior cruciate ligament in his knee. Eager to get back into footy and impress, he returned a little too early and needed another few weeks off before playing three games at the championships. There, he had his best game with 19 disposals against Queensland, and against both NSW/ACT and Northern Territory he had 15 touches and kicked two goals. Lonergan has a solid body and is a prospect with senior experience. He played for Launceston in Tasmania's state league when he was 15, and in 2011 he played a big role in the club's premiership win.

"In terms of how we play we're very similar at the same age. Jesse is bigger and stronger than I was at that age and I think he's got a great future ahead of him. I'm quite happy to say I believe he's going to be a much better player than what I've become. But in saying that he's got a long way to go and a lot of hurdles to jump before getting to AFL level." - Sam Lonergan

Downside: Lonergan said mid-season that he believed his kicking was still an area of improvement, and by the NAB AFL Draft Combine, it appeared he had gone some way to fixing it up. In the new goalkicking test at the combine, Lonergan kicked a perfect score.

Plays like: It's no surprise that Lonergan shares the same hardness and tenacity as his uncle, Sam. The pair grew up living under the same roof and used to fight over the ball in the backyard. Lonergan is a little more explosive than Sam, and probably has a bit more breakaway speed and power, but there will be comparisons made at the start of Jesse's career.

Draft range: A club looking to boost its inside midfield stocks will jump at the chance to add Lonergan to its list. That could be anywhere from about pick 15-25, depending on who likes him best.

In his own words: "Every injury is frustrating. I love playing footy, I just love being a part of it. But it's been a learning experience as well. You're going to get injuries in a football career so it's about dealing with it the right way."

Matches  Kicks    Handballs    Marks    Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles    Goals
     3          27            22            8             49                   57.1%                         35                         16           4.1

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151091/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »
Package deal - Jonathan O'Rourke
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Sun 18 Nov, 2012

JONATHAN O'ROURKE
DOB: 21/04/1994
Weight: 75kg
Club: Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151230/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Medium midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and smart user of the ball. Runs all day and makes good decisions with the football in heavy traffic. Has good game sense and an excellent mix of speed and endurance. Classy type who averaged 18.5 disposals at 77 per cent efficiency for Vic Metro and was rewarded with All Australian honours following the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. An AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Upside: O'Rourke is one of the most complete midfielders available at this year's draft, possessing all the traits needed at AFL level. He has a couple of intangibles about him, too, that push him even higher in this year's crop. One is that he plays well when games matter. Already seen as a top talent at the start of this year, he stamped himself with a brilliant effort against South Australia in the third round of the championships. Although SA was favourite, O'Rourke's hard work at the contests - and ability to burst away from them - helped set up Vic Metro's surprise win. He finished with 21 disposals. After missing last year's national championships with a hamstring tear, sitting out the first game of this year's carnival, and having a quiet day against Tasmania in round two, O'Rourke consolidated his spot near the top of the draft. Tested well early at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, including a 14.5 shuttle run in hot and sunny conditions. A sore back forced him out of the final day of testing, including the 3km time trial.

"A lot of the recruiters fancy him. He's got that ability to glide across the oval. His kicking is above average, and has really good height, size and shape. There's a lot to like about him." - Calder Cannons coach Martin Allison

Downside: It's hard to find one with O'Rourke given he's such a balanced prospect. Recruiters have asked him about his consistency, and the way he drifted in and out of games in the second half of the year. A long season had taken its toll by then, and most are confident it is just a lack of experience and he will be able to work out of it in time.

Plays like: Although we haven't seen much of Bomber Elliott Kavanagh at AFL level yet, O'Rourke has some similar attributes. O'Rourke can run and carry with the ball, and is classy whenever he has it, but is just as adept at winning his own possessions.

Draft range: O'Rourke's overall package makes him appear certain to be in the top 10  picks when the draft is held on the Gold Coast, and he could go a bit higher. He's a good chance to be a top-three selection for the Giants, and if not, it's more likely he gets to the Western Bulldogs (pick five and six), who will be keen to inject some class into their list. Port Adelaide (pick seven) and the Brisbane Lions (pick eight) would also be ready to add another quality midfielder to their ranks if he gets that far.

In his own words: "I think that's one of my biggest strengths: being able to win the ball inside and outside. I can be the ball-winner or try get on the end of it and use my skills. I definitely want to work on kicking more goals, though. As a midfielder I'd like to kick one or two goals a game throughout the year. That's something that I'm trying to get better at."

Matches   Kicks   Handballs   Marks   Disposals   Disposal efficiency   Contested possessions   Tackles   Goals
     4           33           41           14           74                     77%                         28                          11         3.2

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151230/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »
Giant chance - Jimmy Toumpas
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au
Mon 19 Nov, 2012

JIMMY TOUMPAS
DOB: 02/01/1994
Height: 182cm
Weight: 78kg
Club: Woodville-West Torrens/South Australia

VIDEO:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151247/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151247/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

Bio: Energetic medium midfielder with outstanding work ethic and big aerobic capacity. Terrific ball winner and weights his kicks extremely well. Impressive for SA in the 2011 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and in the SANFL Grand Final, when he was among the best for 2011 Premiers, Woodville West Torrens. Won All Australian honours at the championships this year averaging 22.2 disposals. An AIS-AFL Academy Graduate.

Upside: Toumpas didn't make the SA side for the under-16 national carnival, but he has worked tirelessly over the past two years to turn himself into one of the most exciting prospects in this year's draft pool. He possesses a combination of speed, agility, endurance and foot skills that will put him in a strong position to play plenty of senior football in his first AFL season. The line-breaking midfielder captained South Australia at this year's Under-18 Championships and is highly regarded for his strong leadership qualities. He has played regular senior footy for SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens and stamped himself as a top prospect last year with a brilliant finals series for the Eagles who went on to win the flag. He made the All Australian team this year despite being troubled by a hip complaint that he has since had surgery to repair.

"After last year's Grand Final I had recruiters telling me he was a top-three pick and I don't think much has changed to be honest. The thing with having the time off is it's allowed him to get in the gym a lot more, so he actually put on a bit of size, which was probably the one thing he did need to improve. He works extremely hard and he's been a real leader for a lot of our younger guys. He's the benchmark for our under-18 program now. I use him as an example for our boys to show them how hard they need to work to achieve their goals." - Woodville-West Torrens development manager Shane Grimm.

Downside: Toumpas has very little downside, but he'll need to work on his overhead marking to become more dangerous inside attacking 50 as he strives to become an elite midfielder at AFL level.

Plays like: Toumpas' work-rate and willingness to run all day allows him to affect more contests in a similar fashion to St Kilda champion Lenny Hayes.

Draft range: Toumpas is a blue-chip prospect who will likely go inside the first three picks at the draft. The Giants hold all three of those selections and are unlikely to pass up the chance to add a player of his class to their midfield mix.

In his own words: "I'd love to stay at home in Adelaide, but to move away and be in a professional AFL environment would be amazing. I love footy, I watch a lot of it so I know all the teams backwards, and it would just be great to get an opportunity with any club. It's very humbling [to hear myself talked of as a potential top-5 pick]. This time last year I wouldn't have thought that would be the case, but I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. I'll just try and improve myself every day and we'll go from there."

Matches  Kicks  Handballs   Marks   Disposals    Disposal efficiency  Contested possessions   Tackles  Goals
     4         60          29           24            89                   82%                           19                        5         2.1

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151247/default.aspx