Author Topic: U18s potential draftees thread 2012  (Read 13209 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
U18s potential draftees thread 2012
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
Riolis' bravery
By Jason Phelan
Wed 30 May, 2012

BEN AND Willie Rioli jr carry one of the most famous names in football, and they did their family proud in a time of grief with starring roles in the Northern Territory's upset win against Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships on Saturday.

Sibby Rioli, father of Ben and uncle to Willie, was laid to rest in a traditional ceremony at Garden Point on the Tiwi Islands just two days after the emotion-charged 18-point win at Darwin's TIO Stadium.

"Both boys played particularly well under really tough circumstances," AIS-AFL high performance coach Michael O'Loughlin said.

"I sat with some recruiters to watch the game, everyone was aware of that situation, and I just thought it was a brilliant effort from both of them.

"I think Sibby would have been very proud of the way they performed for NT."

Click here for all your NAB AFL Under-18 news

Ben and Willie jr, cousins of Hawthorn's Cyril, were among the best players in the Territory's maiden win against traditional powerhouse Vic Metro.

Ben is an over-age player for NT this year, while 16-year-old Willie Jr will be eligible for the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.  Greater Western Sydney has first call on both of them under its entry concessions.

O'Loughlin says the pair's natural talent is undoubted, but both have some work to do to be considered by any AFL recruiters.

"Both boys have obviously got the Rioli gene and they can really play the game," he said.

"I've known Willie now for a little bit, through indigenous programs, and he's always had the skill, but he just needs to work on his fitness. If he really sees himself as an AFL footballer then there's a few things he needs to work on.

"It's just a matter of these guys realising what's required and really knuckling down."

Ben, a late developer who is still slightly built at just 61kg, is a 179cm small defender who plays senior footy for NT Thunder in the NEAFL and has strength that belies his size, according to NT talent manager Wally Gallio.

"He's come along in leaps and bounds since last year - he's a year older and a bit more mature in a football sense," Gallio says.

"He likes to run and carry and his tackling for his size is really good.

"One his main attributes is that he's hard to shift off the line of the footy even though he's not big. He's a got a good ball sense and can stay on the line - he doesn't usually get pushed off and if he does he'll often take the footy with him.

"He's just got a knack of getting a hand in there or edging his opponent off the ball."

Willie jr, at 180cm and 80kg, is a clever small forward who has spent the past two years boarding at Melbourne's Xavier College.

That he is even participating at this year's championships is remarkable given he was placed in an induced coma in Darwin over the Christmas period after he came down with a mystery virus.

His performance against Vic Metro was a big step in the right direction and O'Loughlin is hopeful the pair can back up their good start over the rest of the carnival.

"The talent is absolutely there and now it's up to the want and the desire of these two to take it to the next level," O'Loughlin said.

"In Cyril they see what could happen, and now it's up to them to make sure that they get the Monday to Friday routine right to allow them to play well on the weekend.

"They've just got those things they need to fix up and the sky's the limit."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/137218/default.aspx
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:03:12 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18s potential draftees thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »
Draft hope Brodie Grundy 'a matchwinner'
By Ben Guthrie
Sun 17 Jun, 2012

FORMER Adelaide recruiter Matthew Rendell says young South Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy will be ready to step up to AFL level next year.

Grundy is shaping as a likely top-10 pick in this year's draft on the back of stellar performances for his state in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Speaking on Channel 9's TAC Cup Future Stars program, Rendell, who has been mentoring the young ruckman in his role with the state team, called Grundy a matchwinner.

"He's a really competitive ruckman and as a bottom-ager last year I reckon he won two games for South Australia by himself," Rendell said.

"Someone's going to get a beauty there."

Grundy, who stands at 202cm and 100kg, has kicked six goals and has been a dominant force in the ruck in this year's carnival after being selected in the 2011 Under-18 All Australian team.

Rendell said the club which picked the SA big man could be reassured that he will play at AFL level next year.

"He makes stuff happen. He's a real competitive beast and virtually ready to go as a ruckman, which is unusual too," he said.

"If a club picks him I reckon they'll get some games out of him in the League next year."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138775/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »
Mayes still amazes
By Harry Thring
afl.com.au
Thu 21 Jun, 2012

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139146/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

DESPITE a less-than-prolific NAB AFL Under 18 Championships to date, South Australia's coach Brenton Phillips still expects vice-captain Sam Mayes to be taken early in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

Mayes has been described as potentially more explosive than Scott Pendlebury, with the outside skills of Dale Thomas and the versatility of Andrew Mackie, but has struggled to find form in this year's titles after gaining All Australian selection as an underage player in 2011.

The 18-year-old's situation bears similarities to that of West Coast gun Jack Darling, who was an underage All Australian player in 2009 but couldn't match that form in 2010.

Darling has gone on to become one of the emerging stars of the competition and Phillips said Mayes had showed enough over the last few years to warrant early selection.

"I still maintain that if you're a good footballer, you're a good footballer," Phillips said.

"At the end of the day you don't lose you talent - AFL clubs would back their ability to bring someone like Sam into their club and develop them."

Playing senior football in the SANFL and touted as a likely first-round selection in this year's NAB AFL Draft, the wraps on Mayes are big, but he knows there is plenty of work to be done before he can make it in the big league.

The building blocks are there.

At 187cm and having represented the state in basketball, the resemblance to Pendlebury is obvious.

Like the Collingwood superstar, Mayes possesses tremendous endurance and speed, a trait inherited from his father Leon, who was the Australian junior national 400m champion in 1981-82.

Port Adelaide development coach Daniel Healy made the Pendlebury, Thomas and Mackie comparisons.

As senior coach of North Adelaide in the SANFL, in 2009 he played a large role in luring Mayes to the Roosters from Port Pirie, a coastal town two hours' north of Adelaide on the Yorke Peninsula.

"He's probably got a bit of Dale Thomas' outside stuff as well, but he's certainly got real class like they have and his ability to use the ball is pretty exciting."

Healy had seen Mayes dominate the SANFL's Smartplay Cup, a competition now known as the SANFL Under 15 Intra State Championships, and was immediately impressed.

"He could do it all - mark, kick, he was good around stoppages or could go forward, and he could play anywhere really."

Power champion and now North Adelaide coach Josh Francou certainly thought so, describing him as "naturally just a very classy player".

"I think he's probably the perfect height and, potentially, the perfect build … he's almost like the perfect utility player," he said.

"One, his running ability's so good and secondly his height, but also his skill level - he's got very good skills.

"He'll develop into a very good footballer at [AFL] level."

Francou also praised Mayes' work rate for North Adelaide: "You tend to see some young guys come through that might have the skills but don't have the work ethic, and eventually those sort of players fall off the team.

"Nothing to me suggests he's one of those; everything I've seen suggests otherwise."

Mayes agreed that his work rate was one of his key strengths and said playing at levels higher than his age had helped nurture it.

At 14 he became one of the youngest A-Grade debutants in his local club's history and by 17 he had played his first senior SANFL game.

Appearing against mature-bodied players in the SANFL was something he hoped would give him a head start should he be drafted in November.

"My work rate's always been pretty high, but I still think I need to step it up a bit if I want to play at the elite level," he said.

"Work rate's a massive thing, because if you want to get the ball you've got to work pretty hard, and harder the higher level you play.

"I think playing some league footy's kind of good for the development if I do get the opportunity to play at the highest level."

At SANFL and Under-18 level Mayes has the height to play tall in the forward or back line, and he can also spend time in the middle of the ground, but he accepts that he won’t be able to hold down a key position in the AFL and at just 74kg he knows he has to bulk up.

"I'll have to put on a little bit. I've been doing a bit of gym with North but I like to keep pretty athletic because that's my game style," he said.

"I'd like to come up the ground and play as a midfielder, winger-type player.

"You've got to be pretty well rounded to be able to play whatever position is necessary."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139146/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »
Worth bottling
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Sat 23 Jun, 2012

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139314/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

OLIVER Wines has become used to fitting a lot into his days.

The 17-year-old, considered one of the best midfielders available at this year's NAB AFL Draft, lives in Echuca, the Victorian town on the New South Wales border.

Each morning Wines wakes up at about 6.45 and by 7.30 is on the bus for a one-hour trip to Shepparton, where he's studying year 12 at Goulburn Valley Grammar School. When school's done and he has footy commitments, Wines' dad Tony, mum Jane or grandpa Leo Butler picks him up and drives him almost two hours to Bendigo Pioneers training.

At training, Wines gets ready in his corner of the changerooms, is intent on not missing a target by foot, and tries to run as hard as he can for as long as he can (GPS results suggest he is good at this). Then it's back on the road for another hour or so to return home about 9.30 at night.

"They're long days," Wines says. "On the drive I try to do some homework on the laptop. I do a lot of maths at school but it's hard to do much of that in a car bumping up and down, so I usually try to get a bit of English stuff done if I can."

As much as Wines' time management is worthy of praise - his former Pioneers and current Vic Country coach Mark Ellis says he "doesn't like wasting a minute" - recruiters are most enamoured with his football.

Wines is a strong-bodied midfielder who rips the ball out of packs, bustles through traffic and has enough time to find teammates with quick handballs or sharp right-foot kicks.

Two weeks ago in Vic Country's win over Tasmania, Wines had 31 disposals, of which 17 were contested. Last weekend, in Country's loss to Western Australia, he gathered another 24 disposals and also had seven clearances.

Wines enjoys a scrap, but there's nothing about him that's scrappy. He's classy and clean, but describes his main strength as his competitiveness. If the ball is there to be won, he wants to be the guy to do it.

"I do the in and under stuff, try to get the ball out to the runners, and try to be a big contributor," he told AFL.com.au.

He has an inkling how that streak might have developed. Wines grew up with Jack Viney, who moved to Echuca when Jack's father, former Melbourne captain Todd Viney, took on a coaching role with local side Moama.

Viney, who travelled to Europe in April with Wines as part of the AIS-AFL Academy, is a hard-nosed midfielder who will head to Melbourne as a father-son draftee at the end of the season. Wines admits they had their share of battles.

"He's one of my best mates and his competitive edge has rubbed off on me," he says, smiling.

"We've grown up fighting and throwing punches and spending time out in the bush so I think that's where part of my attitude might have come from."

Despite his travel challenges, Wines has followed a traditional path to this point: a member of state squads through school, a taste of TAC Cup footy as an under-16s player, and a general step-up in output in the last two years.

However, competing and distributing is only half of what Wines offers as a player. This season has proved him to be a more complete prospect.

Early last year, he was a stocky 'inside' midfielder at about 182cm. But in the past year he has grown around five centimetres and is now better placed doing some other things, like marking above his head, being a leading target in attack, and having more of a presence around the ground.

He's quick enough, and makes up for any lack of breakaway speed by knowing and reading the game.

"I'm starting to pick up a fair few more handball receives, so when I'm not trying to get it out I'm being involved outside and working it down," he says.

"You've got to be a three dimensional player these days. You can't just have one solid attribute. You've got to have a few parts to your game."

His fighting instincts, though, will always be the cornerstone of his game. Current Pioneers coach David Newett, who has seen Wines average 26 disposals a game in the TAC Cup this year, says he is able to work himself out of down patches.

"If he is having a quiet period, he's been able to show he can fight back into a game by doing all the grunt work around the stoppages and clearances," Newett says.

Wines' style helps drag others into games, too. Last month the Pioneers played Queensland and trailed by almost five goals at half-time. Wines, Bendigo's captain, kicked three third-quarter goals to get his side back in the game. "His teammates really follow him," says Leigh Byrne, the Pioneers' team manager.

Wines skippered Vic Country's win over Queensland, and he blossomed in elite company on the Academy trip. Even after landing late at night in London, Wines found his luggage, put it down, and then went back to help his teammates retrieve their own gear from the baggage carousel.

"He wasn't doing it to show off," says Michael Ablett, the Academy's development manager. "He was doing it just because that's how he is."

With two games of the championships left to play, and a few more after that in the TAC Cup, Wines knows his opportunity is now to impress. He's wondering and thinking about what might lay ahead, but won't be getting distracted.

"Like [Vic Country coach] Mark Ellis says, everything we do now is a job interview and we're being watched and scrutinised to the nth degree," Wines says. "There's a bit of anxiousness about what's to come but I'm excited."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139314/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:24:37 AM »
Garlett seeks a better state
Emma Quayle
The Age
July 3, 2012

DAYLE Garlett runs fast, kicks well and makes good things happen.

Hundreds of teenage footballers have lined up for their state sides in the under-18 championships, but the West Australian is in a smaller group that has asked people to watch him.

If the draft were held this weekend, Garlett's talent would see him in the top 10. Whether he will be chosen so early is a question the 18-year-old knows he hasn't yet answered, but he plans to make sure of it in the second half of the year.

These are days when ''character'' matters to recruiters as much as other qualities. Garlett was kicked out of the AIS-AFL Academy at the end of last year and, after moving out of home, had issues with off-field discipline. He knows he heads the list of players clubs want to find out more about and he's trying hard to do something genuine about it.

''What doesn't kill me makes me stronger,'' said Garlett of his removal from the AIS program. ''That set me to work harder through the preseason and I think it's gone well.''

Garlett has moved back home, he now has a girlfriend and he has started working for the David Wirrpanda Foundation, spending time in schoolrooms with kids. He has been hitting the gym five times a week and, as part of the Swan Districts senior team, trying to work on his chasing and tackling.

He can remember the first time he held a football, knowing then that he wanted to play in the AFL. He said he had begun to agree with the people who think a club away from home might be the best thing for him.

''Probably the time when I moved out of home wasn't a good time for me, but once I moved back in at home I got everything sorted, got back on track and it's been good since then,'' Garlett said.

''I did make some mistakes. That just makes me want to work harder to get to where I want to be.

''The recruiters ask me, how's my outside life doing - if I've picked it up a notch. I've given them a good result just by doing that well.

''I've been told by friends, family, coaches that it would be better if I go over east, and I think it would be good for me, so I could knuckle down and get the job done.''

Top pick: Dayle Garlett hopes he's ready. Photo: Sebastian Costanzo

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/garlett-seeks-a-better-state-20120702-21daf.html#ixzz1zUFiZDL5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »
Lachie Plowman - Fit and able
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Wed 22 Aug, 2012

DEFENDER Lachie Plowman, considered a likely first round pick at this year's NAB AFL Draft, will return to football this weekend after more than three months out with an elbow injury.

After a brilliant start to the season, in which the 17-year-old firmed as one of the stars of this year's crop, Plowman landed awkwardly on his arms after flying for a mark in the Calder Cannons' loss to Geelong in May.

He had surgery on a dislocated elbow and damaged ligaments, and missed all of Vic Metro's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. However, he will line up for the Cannons against the Western Jets on Saturday at Highgate Recreation Reserve.

It is the last game of the TAC Cup home and away season, with the Cannons likely to play an elimination final after that. 

"He's done a power of work and we've been really conservative with him," Cannons coach Martin Allison told AFL.com.au.

"For him it's now about getting back some confidence, and getting through a game. To have him back in the side across the backline really gives us some strength there."

Plowman played for Vic Metro at last year's under-18 carnival as a bottom-ager, and was selected in this year's AIS-AFL Academy squad. He's an athletic defender with excellent skills and decision-making who sets up the play from the back half.

In a draft scattered with midfield talent, Plowman is seen as one of the top key position players available.

His rehabilitation from the injury has been a long one, but even through this year's championships Plowman was at nearly every one of Metro's training sessions keeping up his conditioning as his arm recovered.

He was close to playing two weeks ago for the Cannons, but the club decided to be extra careful as it didn't have a game last weekend.

Allison said the focus had been to not rush Plowman's progress, instead making sure that when he is selected by an AFL club in late November, he is ready to train.

"That was at the front of our minds," Allison said.

"We can assume with a bit of confidence that he'll be picked, so wherever he lands come draft day, we want him to be arriving there fit and healthy.

"We've really taken a cautious approach but we're excited to have him back."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/145363/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
Taylor made
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Thu 06 Sep, 2012

Draft prospect Taylor Garner

He started playing footy when he was six, when his dad used to sneak him into the Rowville Football Club's under-9s side. And when he was 11, Garner won the under-12s best and fairest by 51 votes.

This year, having only made his TAC Cup debut with the Dandenong Stingrays in March, Garner has fast established himself as one of the most exciting players available at the NAB AFL Draft, and a likely first-round pick. "We just can't believe how quickly it's all happened," Lynne says.

Recruiters are also coming to terms with Garner's rise. That's what happens after relatively little exposed form, but a NAB AFL Under-18s Championship campaign with Vic Country that saw him finish with All Australian honours. So, where has he been?

In 2010, Mark Wheeler, the Stingrays' development manager at the time, noticed Garner playing in Rowville's under-18 side (as a 16-year-old). He saw him fight for the ball when it was on the ground, leap above opponents when it was in the air, and compete like crazy.

After running a 13-minute three-kilometre time trial in his first Stingrays pre-season, he was told to sharpen up by coach Graeme Yeats.

Instead of jogging around the streets of Endeavour Hills in Melbourne's outer east, each night after school Garner would run laps of his backyard, over and over again, to get fitter. 

Joining a local gym for the first time this pre-season helped again, and he set his mind to train extra hard. But injuries throughout last season, and a three-week holiday to Thailand, cost him a chance to play last year for the Stingrays.

"The trip was planned way before I even knew about the Stingrays," Garner told AFL.com.au. "I missed my chance there, but I don't think Graeme thought that much of me then anyway."

Garner might not have thought much about himself then, either. He always knew he could play, but wasn't convinced he belonged at the Stingrays. With every game at the start of this year he grew more confident, arriving for training earlier, and becoming more involved.

Then he was picked for Vic Country's side, another step in his path he didn't see coming.

"I think he second-guessed himself a bit when he got picked there," says Wheeler, now the Stingrays regional manager.

"But our midfield coach Craig Black was an assistant coach with Country, and having him there was pretty comforting for Taylor. Once Taylor got in there he excelled. I think he was looking for that next level and he proved he's definitely up to it."

Garner showed at the championships that he can do things most players can't. As a medium forward (listed at 186cm and 76kg), Garner is a clean mark above his head and on the lead, and twists, turns and makes good things happen. Yeats says he has "unique qualities". Wheeler thinks he's "a bit freakish." His mum knows of a few other traits, too.

"He's definitely determined. I can see it," Lynne says. "If he makes a mistake, if he messes up a kick or doesn't get a mark, I can see his mind ticking over thinking 'That shouldn't have happened'. And then he'll get it back."

Garner is keen to get a bit taller and build up his light body - whatever Lynne makes for dinner Taylor has two serves - but he's already creative, mobile and brave.

In Country's first game of the championships, the 18-year-old dislocated his left shoulder. He woke up the day after in agony, and missed the next game, but returned for the round three clash with Western Australia.

It was his best game, collecting 20 disposals and kicking three goals. His shoulder again popped out, but Country's physios were able to strap it up tightly and he played the game out, and kept flying for marks however much it hurt.

The next game, against Vic Metro, he felt a whack over his shoulder in the second quarter, and knew it had subluxed again, when the shoulder slips out of its pocket. This time he didn't tell anyone and played on.

He knew if the coaches found out they probably wouldn't let him play the final game of the championships five days later against South Australia at Etihad Stadium, and he really wanted to play that game. So he hid the injury, and the pain.

He ended up playing against South Australia, and dislocated the shoulder for the fourth time in four games.

"I told them it was sore, but I didn't say it had been dislocated. I don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be anyway," Garner says, his relaxed smile belying a serious injury.

"I just had to take my mind off it as much as I could and push through it. It's that next contest that's the one you're most fearful of."

Four weeks ago Garner underwent a shoulder reconstruction, and he's in a sling for another two weeks, ruling him out of the TAC Cup finals and from testing at the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/146891/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18s potential draftees thread - Tim Membrey (afl site)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
A new Darling
By Callum Twomey
Thu 04 Oct, 2012

At 189cm Tim Membrey is not a traditional key forward

AS AN 18-year-old seven weeks away from knowing where his footy will take him, Tim Membrey stands as a big, mobile and physical full forward. He leads out of the goalsquare, takes contested marks and converts his shots on goal with a fluid and uncomplicated nine-step action. As an AFL player, he thinks he'll need to do a bit more.

Membrey finished the season as one of the most talked about hopefuls of this year's crop, after an excellent TAC Cup finals series. In the first qualifying final against the Dandenong Stingrays, he kicked four goals.

He followed it with eight goals and a commanding best-on-ground performance against the Sandringham Dragons in the preliminary final, and another four in Gippsland Power's one-point Grand Final loss to the Oakleigh Chargers.

But Membrey isn't a traditional size for a key position player. He's 189cm and at this week's NAB AFL Draft Combine has tested in the medium forwards category, alongside players who shift onto the wing, or spend time in the midfield. Recruiters are keen to see how he'd go doing the same.

"They know I can play forward but they'd like to see me push up the ground a bit more and play a bit more of a higher role, and on the ball. They'd like to see me get my fitness up," Membrey told AFL.com.au.

Membrey played some junior footy through the midfield, using his size advantage to overcome opponents. When they started catching up, he moved forward, where he has found his niche.

"Coming into an AFL club, I obviously wouldn't be a key tall, so I've got to learn that third tall role, where it's about leading into space, then getting out of it, or giving second and third leads," he said.

"I try to model my game on Jack Darling in that respect. He's not a key position player but sometimes you'd think that he is."

Membrey's end to the year didn't happen by chance.

A knee injury limited him to only three games for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, and a groin injury after that didn't help. People were telling him he needed to play more, and more consistently, to properly assert himself as a top 30, or so, pick, where many feel he belongs.

"I was feeling good at the end of the season. I knew there was a lot on the table and a lot of things I had to prove to get me really recognised by clubs," Membrey said. "That was just about stringing games together. Every recruiter, if they're interested in a player, wants to see him actually play. That's what I needed to do."

Making clubs more interested in Membrey are the things that can't be measured at this week's NAB AFL Draft Combine. He knows when a game's course needs to be changed, and tends to find a way to do it. He can lift his side with a bump, or a strong marking contest, and celebrates goals with a roar.

He's walked a different passage to a few of his contemporaries, too.

A late call-up to the AIS-AFL Academy squad this year, Membrey is an apprentice plumber, working five days a week, even when his legs are sore on a Monday morning after a game. Surfing most weekends takes his mind off things, as does the odd shot at hunting rabbits and foxes at a friend's property.

Membrey also comes complete with tattoo: a colourful anchor and palm tree that stretches from the top of his left shoulder to his elbow. It's another little point of difference to a player who, in an even draft, is setting himself apart.

"I've always been interested in the beach theme and one of my mates is a handy drawer so I got him to draw one up and the artist slapped it on," he said. "I'm happy with the half-sleeve at the moment."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149122/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Colquhoun had 22 possies, 6 marks and 4 inside 50s in the SANFL ressies Grand Final today.

Eyes on Sam Colquhoun
By Ben Guthrie
Sun 07 Oct, 2012

THERE's a good reason why Sam Colquhoun was largely missing in action at last week's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

During one of the most important weeks of his football life, Colquhoun understandably had more pressing things on his mind.

On Sunday afternoon, the South Australian teenager will line up for Central Districts in the SANFL reserves Grand Final at AAMI Stadium.

All eyes will be on the 17-year-old in the SANFL decider, much like they will be in November's NAB AFL Draft.

Colquhoun is considered a likely top 20 pick, but the talented youngster told AFL.com.au he just hoped a club would pick him up.

"I've got no expectations, just hoping for an opportunity," Colquhoun said.

As a junior, Colquhoun represented South Australia in cricket at under-15 and under-17 level.

But his focus is now firmly fixed on football this week, and in to the future.

While he was a notable absentee for much of the combine, Colquhoun flew in to Melbourne on Thursday and was interviewed by a number of AFL clubs.

"We didn't quite get to see the best of him test out here, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of eyes on him Sunday, that's for sure," AFL Academies Development Manager Michael Ablett told AFL.com.au.

Those same eyes would have marvelled at his consistent performances for South Australia right throughout the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships earlier in the year.

So much so, the rebounding defender was adjudged his state's MVP and earned All-Australian under-18 honours.

"He had a super championships and was probably the most consistent performer out of everyone in the five games," Ablett said.

Colquhoun was damaging off half-back, averaging 28.4 disposals and six marks for the carnival.

His overlap run was piercing and his unflappable nature engineered much confidence in South Australian teammates.

South Australian under-18 coach Brenton Phillips said Colquhoun has a rare sense of knowing, at all times, where the football is heading.

"His ability to be one and two steps in front of the contest and read it and get to the next play is quite amazing," Phillips told AFL.com.au.

Ablett agrees, saying Colquhoun is an outstanding talent with the necessary football nous.

"He's a little from the old school. He's grown up with a fantastic knowledge of the game and his ability to read it; that's why he finds it so well," Ablett said.

Central Districts is renowned for its one-on-one brand of football, but Phillips rang Colquhoun's reserves coach before the under-18 championships with the specific role for him to be the "drop off" player.

Importantly, Phillips said Colquhoun has successfully reverted back to the Bulldogs' accountable style of football during the SANFL finals series.

But it is his attacking flair and a knack of thinking through different scenarios on the football field that will appeal to prospective AFL clubs.

"You sort of always look at the guy who gets the most football at championship level and he's the one," Phillips said.

Colquhoun admits even he exceeded his own expectations during the season.

"My goal at the start of the year was to play state footy and senior footy at Centrals," he said.

And while he didn't manage a senior game for Centrals, you get the feeling a reserves premiership on Sunday and being drafted in November will make up for all of that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149297/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 05:43:32 PM »
Spencer White - The next Buddy?
By Ben Collins
Tue 16 Oct, 2012

Spencer White in action for the Western Jets

A LEFT-FOOTED key forward who has been likened to Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin looms as a dark horse in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

Western Jets spearhead Spencer White - the runner-up in the TAC Cup goalkicking award this year after tallying 36.12 in 16 games - is regarded as a raw but rare athlete who can run like the wind, take skyscraping marks and slot brilliant goals.

White's highlights package is certain to cause excitement among fans and perhaps recruiters alike.

A minor health problem contributed to an inconsistent start to the season, but White's draft prospects have surged in recent months.

The 195cm/90kg power forward wasn't among the original list of 100-odd invitees for the NAB AFL Draft Combine earlier this month, but received a late call-up and posted some impressive results, winning the running vertical jump (coming within 2cm of the all-time record shared by Nic Naitanui and Jared Brennan) and finishing third in the standing vertical jump.

These efforts followed his strong finish to the TAC Cup season and also reinforced his much-sought-after capacity to be a back-up ruckman.

One of the draft's best-kept secrets was out. Eight clubs interviewed White at the combine.

Industry sources suggest White (who turned 18 just last month) could be snapped up as early as a pick in the 20s, and as late as the 70s. The latter would appear a genuine steal for a youngster who - according to his Jets coach, former Western Bulldogs defender Steve Kretiuk - has the potential to be a star.

"There were some really good forwards who played in the TAC Cup this year but Spence has got a lot more in his favour," Kretiuk told AFL.com.au.

"He's really dynamic, he's got genuine X factor, and he's got a lot of attributes that most players haven’t got.

"He'll take a couple of years to physically and mentally get up to AFL standard, but once he matures he's going to be a pretty exciting player. He certainly excited us this year.

"His highlights package would be unbelievable. Some of the things he did reminded me of Buddy Franklin. Tall, quick, left foot, take 'em on - very much like Buddy."

Kretiuk said White had kicked "three or four" goals like the brilliant double Franklin slotted from the boundary after bouncing runs against Essendon in round 13, 2010. And, Kretiuk added, White isn't burdened by the "Buddy (kicking) arc".

"Spence's speed, especially for his size, is a real asset, and he backs himself in a fair bit," he said. "He's also got a great natural leap. He took marks from four and five-deep in packs, sitting on blokes' shoulders.

"He's really hard to beat. He can create things out of nothing."

White admits the Franklin comparison - which he has heard several times - is daunting, but realises such talk is beyond his control.

"It doesn’t mean anything until I play in the AFL," he told AFL.com.au.

Of his eye-catching playing style, the Melbourne High School student said: "I try to run and create. I probably did it too much at times, and the coaches told me off when it didn’t work out. But they were happy when it worked."

In contrast with the excitement surrounding his football potential, White's story is also one of sadness.

His father Kerry Crouch - a good local footballer who also represented Victoria in hockey - died suddenly just four years ago.

"Dad had a real impact on my life and my football," he said. "It would be great to [get drafted] for him. It's not my only motivation, but it's a big driving factor."

An only child, the then 14-year-old White and his mother Debra moved from Melbourne's northern-eastern suburbs to Williamstown in the west for a fresh start.

Sport (football and basketball) became an even greater outlet.

After earlier stints with the Research and Macleod junior footy clubs, White was rejected by Williamstown Juniors (the same club as Western Jets teammate Lachie Hunter, who has joined the Bulldogs as a father-son selection) because they already had enough players. Instead, he played for Spotswood.

Last year White played 10 games (for 10 goals) with the Jets. But early this season an AFL career appeared little more than a pipedream. In five games he'd kicked just seven goals (including five in one match) and, by his own admission, was "really struggling". It was no surprise when he didn’t make the Vic Metro squad.

Kretiuk says White had two major issues at the time: he was severely lacking in endurance, and often chose the wrong time to jump for marks.

White appeared unable, or unwilling, to make multiple efforts. His excuse was that he couldn’t run because he couldn’t breathe. It was a source of frustration for both parties. Amazingly, tests revealed that White was using just 60 per cent of his lung capacity.

He has had asthma all his life but it had flared to such an extent that a specialist placed him on stronger medication to keep it under control. Consequently, his health, stamina and form improved dramatically.

"I'd often done things in patches but suddenly I started to string a few games together and became a lot more consistent," he said. "It changed everything for me."

His decision-making also became sharper when he heeded his coaches' urgings to simply focus on the basics. Ironically, the more he did this, the more the dashes, marks and goals flowed. In the last 10 rounds he kicked 29.8, including eight multiple-goal efforts.

Despite the rising expectations, White is doing his best to remain level-headed. He's "not too fussed" which club drafts him, or when, as long as he gets a chance.

But, "just in case it doesn’t work out", he has a contingency plan - a real estate course. However, many suspect that on draft day he'll be hot property.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149782/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Michael Close - Strong of mind
By Harry Thring
Wed 17 Oct, 2012

Michael Close (r) is a promising key forward with impressive determination

NORTH Ballarat Rebel Michael Close is an imposing physical specimen.

At 196cm and 84kg, the 18-year-old is a strong marking tall forward who represented Vic Country at this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

But while his physical attributes are exciting, they're hardly rare for young footballers yearning to be drafted.

However, his mental strength and determination set him apart from the pack.

With injury sidelining him from all but two games at the championships and rendering him unable to do any physical testing at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, Close needed to impress AFL clubs.

So he travelled almost 2000km to test at Adelaide's state combine last Saturday, having attended his grandmother's funeral on the Friday.

To test the day after saying goodbye to his "Nan", let alone combat the logistical nightmare of travelling from Ballarat to Hamilton, to Melbourne, to Adelaide, back to Melbourne and finally back to Ballarat in less than 48 hours, showcased the hunger needed to make it in the AFL.

"I had my Nan's funeral on the Friday, so after I left that I got to Melbourne around 11pm, then I flew out at a 7.15 the next morning to Adelaide," Close said.

"I flew back Saturday night - I was buggered.

"At least I can say now is, there's no if's' or but's; if I do or don't get drafted I can say I gave it my all and it was a positive thing to go over and show I want to be an AFL footballer."

Close admitted it was difficult to concentrate after the funeral, but said he tried to use the experience as motivation.

His parents, who had joined him in Hamilton from the family farm in Harrow in western Victoria, told him to go for it.

"It was a tough day, but it definitely gave me a bit of extra motivation to test the following day," he said.

"Mum and Dad were really supportive of it, they know that for me to get drafted I had to do everything I can and to put my best foot forward, so they thought it was a good idea.

"I just want to be an AFL footballer and want to do everything it takes to show recruiters and clubs I'm willing to do everything it takes to play at the elite level, and do everything in my power to be the best I can."

AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan said Close did exactly that by overcoming a host of obstacles and test with other draft hopefuls.

"That's the keenness you love to see," Sheehan said.

"The clubs look for intangibles and how guys carry themselves in lots of different circumstances ... that's a big plus in that intangible area of 'do blokes want to do this badly enough' because AFL level is pretty tough going.

"That's a terrific plus for Michael to have done that and clubs are always looking for those little clues appearing."

Admittedly, Close's numbers were down in Adelaide, which is understandable given his recent injury setbacks.

His beep test score of 14.1 was well off his best effort of 15.6, but he isn’t too concerned.

When running at full power, his engine offers him a huge advantage as a key forward.

"I did a 15.5 at the start of this year and ran my PB of 15.6 last year, so I'm pretty happy with how my endurance has been over the last couple of years," he said.

"Key forward is probably my spot and usually these days key forwards and key backs have big engines - you've got to be able to use it.

"It's definitely handy to have."

Close said that while he'd received a good amount of interest from clubs at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, he couldn't be sure how interested they really were until the draft on November 22.

There's one thing he is sure of though, as is everyone else; he's given himself the best shot at fulfilling his dream and making it into what he described as "the big league".

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149846/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »
Jonathan O'Rourke - Bouncing back
By Callum Twomey
Thu 18 Oct, 2012

A bad hamstring injury almost derailed Jonathan O'Rourke's draft hopes

IT WAS September last year and every time Jonathan O'Rourke went to run, the same things were playing on his mind. He felt too slow, and worried if he actually got the ball he would be caught with it. He found himself out of position and off the pace, and just wasn't quite right.

It started nearly six months before that, when O'Rourke travelled to Europe as a member of the AIS-AFL Academy. During the academy's tour match in London, O'Rourke scooped a ball from the ground and took off, like he usually does seamlessly. This time, he stretched too sharply, and suffered a grade two tear of his left hamstring.

His trip was disrupted, and had to walk up and down Gallipoli's hills with the injury when the group visited Turkey. It had longer effects, too.

O'Rourke missed about three months of footy, including the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he was likely to play as a bottom-ager for winners Vic Metro.

He returned for his TAC Cup side the Calder Cannons in July, but pulled up sore in the same spot. It meant another couple of months on the sidelines, working at strengthening the muscle. When the Cannons got through to the finals, he made another comeback, playing two games.

But all he could think about while he was out there was the injury, the possibility of another setback, and what it would mean if it happened again. He was playing, but wasn't really, struggling to have an impact.

"We could see it as well," says Michelle O'Rourke, Jonathan's mum. "He just wanted to get back and play. That injury was probably his first big challenge."

He responded to it well. A year on from then, O'Rourke is likely to be one of the first 10 or so names read out at next month's NAB AFL Draft at the Gold Coast.

Where his confidence had been eroded at the end of 2011, little goals throughout the pre-season helped restore it. Summer training with the Cannons took up three nights a week, and on two others he would be at the Gisborne gym, getting his legs bigger and stronger.

When the club broke up for Christmas, O'Rourke saw it as his chance to get ahead again. Together with best friend Tom Sheridan - who was drafted from the Cannons to Fremantle last year -the pair ran lap after lap of the local footy oval, pushing each other to exhaustion. By the time the season started, he was ready to show what he had.

"After a few games under my belt I felt fine and definitely going into the national carnival I was fully confident in my body. I knew I could play how I wanted there," O'Rourke said.

O'Rourke managed that. After missing Metro's first game of the championships and "not getting near it" in the second against Tasmania, O'Rourke set up Metro's surprise win over South Australia, and was very good again against Vic Country and Western Australia.

Against SA, he had 21 disposals, six tackles, and kicked a goal. Selection in the under-18 All Australian team underlined his standing as near the top of this year's crop.

All the way through, O'Rourke was one of the first at Metro training so he could get a massage on his lower back and legs, making sure he was free of tightness, and apprehension. The routine continued on game day.

"It's a bit of a psychological thing. I do it just so I have that confidence in my own mind that they're warmed up and ready to go," he says.

O'Rourke is a composed midfielder who finds the ball himself and delivers it well. He'd like to kick more goals, but he plays well when games matter, and has the right dimensions to slot into an AFL team's midfield (183cm and 75kg).

He does most things well and with a minimum of fuss: he's good below his knees, good on either foot, and good at setting up the play. It gives the impression he does it easily. His Calder coach, Martin Allison, describes him as gliding across the field, appearing unrushed.

O'Rourke met with nine clubs at this month's NAB AFL Draft Combine, and many had picked up on the trait, wondering if it meant something else.

"I try to play to my strengths, which is reading the play and using a bit of smarts. It's been brought up a couple of times by recruiters whether I'm a hard worker or just relying on my smarts, and I definitely think it's a bit of both," O'Rourke said.

"From getting GPS results back, I think I work pretty hard as well."

It's not the only common question recruiters have had of O'Rourke. As well as the regulars - strengths, weaknesses, how he rated his season - clubs are keen to know more about his consistency, and why he drifted in and out of games at the end of the year. Mainly, they just want to know more about him, finding O'Rourke difficult to pin down.

"He's quiet. Almost like a card player, you really don't know what's swinging inside him," says Anton Grbac, AFL Victoria's metro talent manager.

That's generally been the way with O'Rourke, whose younger years were dominated by sport.

"All of his spare time was spent outside," says Michelle.

Some Saturdays he'd play cricket or tennis in the morning, before going to play basketball in the afternoon. Jonathan's father Stephen took him to try AusKick when he was five or six, but O'Rourke didn't like it because he could already do everything they were teaching. He stopped going and waited until he was nine until playing his first game for Gisborne.

In between, he was always kicking the footy at home, usually at the mini goal and point posts planted at one end of his backyard. They're still there, Michelle agreeing they used to look a lot bigger than they do now and O'Rourke kicking at them a lot less.

There's some football genes in the family that might explain O'Rourke's talent.

Stephen's dad (and Jonathan's grandfather) is Basil O'Rourke, who played four games for Richmond in 1951. Basil's brother, Jack, was a star for the Tigers in 44 games between 1949-53, kicking 134 goals.

Jack was a high-flying full forward, with charisma and an accurate kick. He would have had a much longer career, but chose to leave the club after it had sacked his favourite coach, Jack Dyer, at the end of 1952. O'Rourke played only a few games under Dyer's successor before giving the game away at 25. Jack's father Jack Snr. also played 63 games in the 1920s for St Kilda and Fitzroy.

Things are done a little differently now. For Jonathan, three or four days after a club recruits him, the 18-year-old will start training there. Sheridan has helped O'Rourke prepare for the possibility he will shift interstate (a good chance with Port Adelaide and the Brisbane Lions looming), but really, he's just waiting. And doing a little bit of work in between.

"It's dragging on," says Michelle with a smile, "I'd like to know what's going to happen now."

"Once footy finished, we just told him to go and have a good time, catch up with your mates, relax a bit. But he's still training and doing gym work, it hasn't really stopped."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149882/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
Chalk, cheese - Nick Vlastuin & Matthew Haynes
By Ben Guthrie
afl.com.au
Sun 21 Oct, 2012

Nick Vlastuin in action in 2012

FOR THE first three years Matthew Haynes was in the company of Nick Vlastuin, he had no idea what his actual name was.

After a couple of years in the junior talent pathway together, Haynes finally found out that the kid he had been calling 'Tigger', actually went by the name of Nick.

Haynes and Vlastuin came to TAC Cup club the Northern Knights as "shy and eager 14-year-olds" according to region manager Peter Kennedy, only just at the very beginning of their football journey.

The nickname 'Tigger', in reference to A.A. Milne's character in Winnie the Pooh, was given to Vlastuin by his mother who identified that her child was "bouncing all over the place" ever since he had started to walk. When the Knights' talent managers caught the drift, the name stuck.

Finding out Vlastuin's given name turned out to be pretty important, too, with the now 18-year-olds transitioning through the Knights' junior development program, working their way in to the Under-16 Victoria Metro team, earning spots in the AIS-AFL Academy and becoming teammates this year at the Knights and the victorious Under-18 Victoria Metro team.

They will part this year as much-improved footballers, and, significantly, fully rounded people.

Despite their almost parallel football journeys, they have distinctively different styles on the field and are poles apart off it.

Haynes' game is built on outside run where he can utilise his pace in the open spaces. As a precursor to that, Haynes turned his attention to football in 2009 after winning gold medals at national level in the 100m and long jump events as a 15-year-old.

While Vlastuin (pronounced floss-tone) thrives on the congested situations so that he can use his body strength to bullock his way through traffic.

Vlastuin finished VCE at Eltham College last year, deferred university and has been working as a lifeguard at his local gym. Haynes, on the other hand, is preparing himself for his end-of-year VCE exams at Carey Grammar.

Vlastuin is likely to feature late in the first or early in the second round in the upcoming NAB AFL Draft. Whereas, it is difficult to place where Haynes sits in the draft order with opinions amongst recruiters varied.

Regardless, both Vlastuin and Haynes know they've done everything possible to have their names called out at the Draft, which is staged on the Gold Coast on November 22.

During their stint at the AIS-AFL Academy, Vlastuin and Haynes were privileged to have former AFL stars Brett Kirk and Tom Harley as their mentors.

One thing both Kirk and Harley drilled in to the boys was to put in the work when no one else would be, all in the chase of gaining a "competitive edge".

So on Christmas and New Year's Day, Vlastuin and Haynes rose early to get ready for core strength sessions and then sweat it out on gruelling runs.

"If you line up on an opponent, you can think to yourself he probably didn't run on Christmas and New Year's day so you've got that mental edge on him," Vlastuin told AFL.com.au.

"It's just about knowing you've done the work."

They both took that mindset in to pre-season training this year and worked together to improve and refine each other's games.

Vlastuin helped Haynes focus on his contested ball work, while Haynes took Vlastuin through the finer points of where to run to find space.

"Tigger flattened me a couple of times and he showed me the standard of where I needed to be at," Haynes says.

Vlastuin says his and Haynes' relationship is fostered on keeping things competitive.

"I hate it when he beats me," Vlastuin says.

Anton Grbac, AFL Victoria's Metro talent manager, described Vlastuin as a quiet but deeply respected leader amongst his peers.

The Metro playing group nominated Vlastuin as their captain at the start of the Championships, while Haynes was selected as vice captain.

"Tigger ticks all the boxes in what we believe a competitive animal is," Grbac says.

"I keep saying this to recruiters, 'You take him to your club and every coach will fall in love with the way he plays footy.'"

Conversely, Haynes is much more outspoken and very popular amongst his circle of influence.

"Haynesy's very amiable. He's probably one of the really good characters to have in the changerooms," Grbac says.

Their contrasting styles of leadership complemented the other, as Vlastuin and Haynes took Metro to back-to-back division one under-18 titles.

Vlastuin was one of Metro's key players, earning an All-Australian guernsey, while Haynes' overlap run was pivotal to the team's success.

Grbac says Haynes has had the rare quality of being able to elevate his level of play the higher he has progressed with his football.

"It seems as though Matty feels more comfortable within himself when he's playing in good company," Grbac says.

Despite all their differences, Haynes and Vlastuin respect each other and people respect them.

"They've both got very different personalities, yet they're in pursuit of the same goal," Kennedy said.

Grbac agrees, saying: "It's just incredible how two players who are chalk and cheese in their football are still good teammates and get along. That's the thing about footy. It takes all types to play the game."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150003/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
Jake Stringer stronger
By Callum Twomey
Mon 22 Oct, 2012

Jake Stringer is expected to defy his broken leg to be taken early in the NAB AFL Draft

JAKE Stringer keeps the scans of his broken leg in a special spot in his bedroom cupboard. He doesn't look at them much, but knows where to go if he needs a quick reminder of his last two years, where documentation of his progress and struggle is jammed inside 17 by 14 inch envelopes.

Stringer has so many x-rays, it takes a while to find what he calls the "most gruesome" one, taken shortly after the compound fracture of his left leg in the opening round of the TAC Cup in 2011.

Others tell the story of his path since then, some showing the bones stuck together with pins and a rod. There are more recent ones, too, since the metal was removed and the bone had healed itself.

For Donna Stringer, Jake's mum, it feels like a "distant memory". For Jake, however, getting almost daily questions and enquiries about the injury keeps it fresh. When Stringer had his medical evaluation at this month's NAB AFL Draft Combine, they all came at once.

"There wasn't too many people sitting down when I went up for my go, that's for sure," Stringer told AFL.com.au.

"I think just about every person got up to have a look and a touch and a feel. It was a bit weird, you've got 18 club doctors standing around you poking, feeling, asking questions, getting you to do movements. It's confronting."

Stringer understands why it's happening. Before the injury, which happened while playing for the Bendigo Pioneers, Stringer was considered a likely part of last year's Greater Western Sydney mini-draft. The break of his tibia and fibula ended any chance of that.

Now only a few weeks out from the NAB AFL Draft, clubs are still unsure what to make of him. On talent, Stringer is in the best handful of players available this year. He's strong and tough, can do a lot of brilliant things and play nearly every position on the ground.

But they are countering his potential with his risk, wondering whether to pick him with a top-end selection or hope he slides until a little bit later. "At the moment, he's a mystery," says Leon Harris, Vic Country talent manager.

It all started when Stringer got caught awkwardly in a tackle, and felt his leg collapse and crack as he went to kick the ball. The bones ripped through the front of his left shin, leaving his foot and ankle to wobble.

At first glance he wasn't sure what had happened. Then the pain hit.

"It literally felt like someone had a saw and was just hacking away at my leg," he says.

He clawed at the grass as medicos took him off the ground in agony, and didn't look at his leg during the next 90 minutes or so while he waited for an ambulance to arrive.

When he got back to his home in Bendigo after the surgery, the injury's impact started to make a little more sense. He found he needed help doing all the things he could normally do himself: get something to eat and drink, shower, go to the toilet. Stairs at the front door, and again inside, wasn't ideal, though his long-time girlfriend Abbey Gilmore was always on hand.

Stringer's rehabilitation was built on smaller goals, with bigger ones in mind. He had to learn to run again, then re-teach himself how to kick on his left foot.

He wanted to be back up and going by December for the AIS-AFL Academy's camp in Canberra and then to be fine to train with the Western Bulldogs for a week in January. After that, about 12 months following the original break, Stringer had pencilled in a return to footy for the academy against the Box Hill Hawks at the MCG late in March.

At times he pushed too hard. His competitiveness had to be managed.

"Before Christmas last year, when Jake shouldn't have been doing much running, there were cones set up and guys were doing sprint testing over 10 or 15 metres," says David Newett, the Pioneers coach. "And he just blew them all away. He was limping really badly and had hardly trained, but as soon as the competition arose, Jake just wanted to be involved."

It was a difficult balance. His dad, John, watched Jake make his own decisions in his rehabilitation and find it frustrating when things didn't quite work. John runs a dairy distribution company, where Jake helps deliver milk to clients.

Jake's designated truck sits in the driveway at home ready to go, although John has sheltered Jake from some of the more strenuous work during his recovery.

"You have to be pretty meticulous about it: making sure the muscles come back, making sure you're not overtraining, making sure you tick all the boxes," John says.

"At his age - he's not a professional sportsman at this stage - he had to take it on board himself. To make those decisions as a young boy is tough."

Stringer met each of his deadlines. After the week at the Bulldogs - who loved him, like Geelong had the year before - Stringer needed surgery at the start of this February to remove the rod and screws.

It meant two weeks off his feet. Another five weeks after that he played for the AIS, winning a bet with former Pioneers, and current Vic Country, coach Mark Ellis that he would play in that game (Stringer got a couple of brand new footballs from Ellis for playing. He risked mowing Ellis' lawn for the season if he didn't).

He returned from the Europe tour and in Bendigo's first game of the season booted nine goals. He played like he did pre-injury: too strong, too smart and too quick for opponents, and having the game on his terms.

"I wanted to make sure that everyone knew I was coming back and I meant business," he says.

"I wasn't coming back to fill up the numbers, I wanted to show it hadn't all gone away."

But the performance led to expectations, some he couldn't meet.

Stringer's leg continued to give him problems. Every time it got a knock it hurt, and he was apprehensive. For a natural sportsperson, nothing was simple. It hadn't been that way throughout his life.

"I think sometimes you're born with an ability, and it doesn't matter, you could be a music prodigy or whatever it is," John says. "For some people, it's just in you. It's in Jake."

Basketball was the first sport to come easily to Stringer. John remembers Jake, "a little ball of muscle", shooting at the 10ft hoop before he was two years old. He played his first A-Grade basketball game in Maryborough, near Bendigo, when he was six. He even played against John, and older brother Travis, in a basketball game once, filling in for another team. He shot nine three-pointers that day.

There were cricket games in the backyard with Travis and other brother Brad, while a young Jed Adcock used to live nearby and join in. Brad plays footy at Eaglehawk, Jake's local club, while Travis is an accountant living in Bermuda.

Football came later, where he could put his aggression and power to better use. There are still signs of basketball instincts in his footy, in his spring when he leaps for marks, and his quick decisions in tight spaces.

But after the early form, it took a while this year to see all of that again. It wasn't there at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where Stringer battled for Vic Country. Some mismanagement didn't help his cause, either, despite best intentions.

"We backed off his running with about three weeks to go before the championships, and dropped off his workload so we could nurse him through," says Harris. "But in hindsight we didn't work him enough. He just needed more work. He was struggling."

After a quiet start to the championships, Stringer got a lift to Melbourne with Ellis ahead of the third-round meeting with Western Australia, in Perth. Ellis lives only five or six doors down from the Stringer family, at the other end of their hilly road, and has known him since he was 12. Ellis' advice carried weight. He broke his leg twice during his own career.

On the drive, he suggested Stringer try wearing a shin guard to protect the bone.

"I thought he was joking," Stringer says. "I thought there was no way known I was going to wear one, I'm not a ruckman."

But after another poor showing against Western Australia, where he got hit on the leg, Ellis urged Stringer to give it a go. A week or so later he visited the local SportsPower store, bought a shin guard and tucked it under his sock against the Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup. He had 25 disposals.

"I felt like I had everything back again," he says. "Just having this little guard there covered it, so if it got hit it didn't hurt, I could keep going. I wasn't worrying about it and that was when I started to play better."

He played three more games for the Pioneers after that, and then three for Bendigo Gold in the VFL. Despite the occasional limp during games, Stringer impressed.

He gathered 25 touches against Box Hill, showing he could mix it with the bigger types (he is 191cm and 94kg). It also showed that playing as a strong and dynamic midfielder - where most think he'll end up - wasn't beyond him.

The limp has caused some consternation for clubs, although he didn't think he was the smoothest runner before the injury.

"They've been getting into me about my gait, but when you haven't been running too flash for 17 years and then you break your leg and you come back and they expect you to run perfectly ... I don't know," he says.

Stringer doesn't feel like he's achieved anything by getting back from the injury and being a likely first-round pick. Most around him have seen him change through the process, though. His dad thinks he's become more resilient, Newett recognises a level of empathy that's come out more, and although Harris still sees the strut and cheeky smile in Stringer, he knows there has been times he has questioned himself. Not anymore.

"It's an interesting one because so many people now are doubting me because of my leg," Stringer says.

"But for me I know come round one next year I'll be ready. And there'll be nothing that will stop me from doing that. My leg's fine, everything's fine. If I don't play round one, I'd be pretty disappointed."

Stringer knows the last two years will stay with him - the scar on his shin is still clear - but he doesn't want it to define him.

"I've tried to look at as a big story. And this injury was just a part of the story, not the whole thing," Stringer says.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=150045

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »
RORY ATKINS
DOB: 12/07/1994
Height: 186cm
Weight: 80kg
Club: Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

Click here to watch Rory Atkins in action: http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/contentid/494757/Default.aspx

Bio: Rory Atkins is a medium forward/midfielder with very good agility and composure with the ball. Makes good decisions with his disposal either by hand or on his preferred left foot. Plays as a hit-up half-forward who is a good overhead mark as well as being clean at ground level. Played two games for Vic Metro and averaged more than 20 disposals a game at TAC Cup level. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Upside: Atkins has travelled a different path than most to get to this point. Was one of the standout performers in Victoria as a 16-year-old, which saw him picked in the AIS-AFL Academy. But after a 2011 season that didn't meet expectations, he was cut from the prestigious program for his draft year. He also endured disappointment when he played only two games for Vic Metro at the championships this season before failing to make the final squad. But, in a sign of his maturity, Atkins bounced back. The week after being dropped by Metro he had 37 disposals, kicked two goals and was best afield for the Calder Cannons in their win over the Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup. The creative midfielder continued in the same vein, winning the club's best and fairest. Recruiters like his ability to shift forward and make an impact on the scoreboard (he kicked 12 goals in 15 games for the Cannons this year.)

Downside: There's some questions on his defensive running and work-rate, something Atkins acknowledges needs work. But he's improving that. He's not especially quick (his best time for the 20m sprint at the draft combine was 3.06 seconds), but he makes up for it with smarts and an uncanny ability to get around opponents.

Plays like: Sometimes Atkins can have his Steve Johnson moments, where he baulks his own shadow to find some space like the Geelong star. He's not at that level but he is unique, with his own style, and his own way of making an impact on games.

Draft range: Atkins is likely to be taken somewhere in the middle of the draft, and given its evenness, that could be anywhere from 25-40. Atkins could be a good fit for a club like Essendon, who will probably be on the lookout for a classy midfielder given it has already committed to key forward Joe Daniher with pick 10.

In his own words: "I just didn't have the year they would have liked me to have [when cut from the AIS-AFL Academy squad]. I didn't get any fitter that year, and I reckon I wasn't at the elite standard some of the other blokes were. Even some blokes who weren't in the academy had gone past me. It was tough at the time but I had to move on."

Stats from the NAB AFL U18 Championships:
Matches Kicks Handballs Marks Disposals Disposal efficiency Contested possessions Tackles Goals
   2         11         8         7          19                63.2%                     11                    2       0.1

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149953/default.aspx