Author Topic: Malthouse rates Richmond's season a C+  (Read 5796 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Malthouse rates Richmond's season a C+
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »
Malthouse was on 3aw tonight with Healy and Russell rating teams on their season so far based on expectations coming into the season, what they've got to work with, how they've coped with injuries, etc ... Mick gave us a C+.

Richmond       C+  ..... team least affected by injuries. High expectations coming into the season as one of the sides looking to jump into the 8 along with others like Adelaide who have jumped up. Younger group than Adelaide but Richmond let's you down just as they appear to be on the up such as last weekend. You stop Deledio and the 3rd/midsized forward and Richmond struggles.

Here's his ratings for the other clubs (half tonight and the other half next week):
Collingwood    A+
West Coast     A+
Adelaide          A
Geelong          B+
Carlton           C
Port Adelaide  C+
Bulldogs        C
GWS Giants   B

Dwayne Russell gave us a D+  ::) as we aren't in the Eight. He said it's still a pass mark.

dwaino

Re: Malthouse rates Richmond's season a C+
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
How do Carlton get a C? Should be graded the same as Eagles and Pies.

I think it is our turn for the mid season review/grade on Insider tonight too.  :birthday

the claw

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
i would say a harsh call myself. injuries aside and yep we have been blessed in some ways with them i reckon we have done very well.

1/if i recall not many expected us to make the 8 preseason  i still dont think we will if injuries hit.

2/ think the performances against top 8 sides has been good we werent expected to beat those sides at the start of the yr  yet we have knocked over syd, stkilda, and hawthorn and been competetive in every game.   to me thats improvement right there if those three sides finish in the 8 will be the first time since 01 they we have beaten more than 2 top 8 sides in a season.

3/ we field one of the ypoungest teams every week and when compared to other sides we clearly lack enough in the key age brackets and we lack in the games played bracket with not enough players in the 100 games plus category.

4/ our depth even with a few injuries has been tested and will continue to be tested until we get 12 14 decent players in the 100 game category. it will be tested until blokes like griffiths elton ellis dea and a few other even get to 50 games.

dunno what criteria mick sets for these pieces but his expectations were  clearly wrong if he expected us to make the 8 this yr. yet if the injury gods continue to smile we may.

yep im always critical of us but given micks criteria id say we are a b at least. we never had to make the 8 to improve i reckon we have showed enough improvement already to cop a little better rating than what mick gave.

finally we didnt give up against freo we just didnt play well if we curled up our toes without trying i could understand his just when you think comments. in a way we had been up for 11 weeks and for 10 weeks did as well as anyone could have expected.

dwaino

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
David King on Insider gave us a 6 out of 10. Said that Grimes was a massive loss to our back structure in the way we interchange our two back talls to attack or gang up on forwards. All of King, Dunstall and Lynch said we're capable still of 13 wins. Dunstall said we're on a steady and strong upward build whether we make the finals or not, but a finals finish would set up our next few years. All agreed we wouldn't trouble the top teams in the finals, but in saying that reckon no one would like to catch us on our good day.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
Pretty much agree - Don't know how Carltank and that western sh|truck got Cs though  :huh

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
Pretty much agree - Don't know how Carltank and that western sh|truck got Cs though  :huh

Port C+ and Bulldogs C?  WTF????????    :wallywink

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »

Port C+ and Bulldogs C?  WTF????????    :wallywink

3 weeks ago Port were the worst preformed team in the comp! The media were calling for the coaches head and they get a C+ :lol :lol The media are a joke.....Fact

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
Obviously havent factored our draw.

Dwayne Russells shouldn't be paid to have his opinion.
Go Tigers!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
More of our starting 18 have had bad injury this year or in some form. Almost our whole backline, spine and ours mids not thou clean either. On long term injury list or missed some key games/training.

Moore. Grimes. Batchelor.
Dea. Astbury. Morris
Helbig. Foley. Deledio.
King. Griffiths. Vickery.
Riewoldt...

In fact our only better players to not have bad run; newman punch in guts. Cotchin had fair share injury. Conca but gets hit in head often. Rance will get injury soon cause crazy. Tuck heaps injury past. + Dusty, Edwards, , Ellis. Houli/grigg too.

Richmond have one of the youngest sides. Thank u dimma. Fa wallace. Younger than most, not just adelaide. Freo were older by a fair margin.

Deledio has kicked 9 goals so is not really a forward. Yes we struggle when our best dont play well. No shyte mick.

the claw

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
More of our starting 18 have had bad injury this year or in some form. Almost our whole backline, spine and ours mids not thou clean either. On long term injury list or missed some key games/training.

Moore. Grimes. Batchelor.
Dea. Astbury. Morris
Helbig. Foley. Deledio.
King. Griffiths. Vickery.
Riewoldt...

In fact our only better players to not have bad run; newman punch in guts. Cotchin had fair share injury. Conca but gets hit in head often. Rance will get injury soon cause crazy. Tuck heaps injury past. + Dusty, Edwards, , Ellis. Houli/grigg too.

Richmond have one of the youngest sides. Thank u dimma. Fa wallace. Younger than most, not just adelaide. Freo were older by a fair margin.

Deledio has kicked 9 goals so is not really a forward. Yes we struggle when our best dont play well. No shyte mick.
think your barking up the wrong tree there. not haveing a shot here but the one thing i think mick got right is the dream run with injuries we have had especially when compared to other sides.

this yr.
 moore - has missed every game thru injury.  hes hardly missed we havent had him since rnd 19 2010.his injury actually gave grimes his chance.
helbig - has missed every game  too. a young developing player who probably was not going to play every game.
astbury -  well hes now at coburg but will need time to find touch. havent had him since rnd 12 2011.would still be in early development regardless.
those are the three long termers.
the short termers.
griffiths -  this yr has actually missed one game thru injury hes had to earn a spot at coburg where he missed one game with concussion. thats what happens with developing players.
dea - is similar to griffiths not sure how many hes missed thru injury but has played 5 and spent significant time at coburg earning a game.
batchelor  - has missed  just 2 games.
grimes - yep hes going to miss a few but to date hes missed just 3 games this yr.
morris - has played all 11.
deledio - played all 11.
foley - missed just one.
king - played just 5 injury or suspension.
vickery - missed 2 thru injury should have missed plenty more from getting dropped.
riewoldt - played all 11.

we have used just 27 players this yr thats less than every other team. we have not copped a serious injury other than grimes hamstring and helbig foot preseason i think.
i dont think we have had more than 5 or 6 injured at any one time.

nope we have had a dream run 15 or 16 have played every game and theres plenty only missed one or two.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »
Moore hae been has had injury forever. This counts as injury. Even if it has been a long time. Grimesy and Moore are potentially Both part of our back 6. Your argument is flawed. The coach would see him as a nuckmaxwell type 3rd/4th tall. The typed we missed last week. Again; grimes/moore can play together.

Helbig would have played more games than not, imo. I had him down starting21.outside edwards we are not blessed with small/mid forwards. Helbig has fight and talent. Not a lightly missed. Type of bloke that could have stepped into the foley role.

Astbury is our1st choice CHB. Big loss. Astbury/grimes/moore are close to 3 of our first choice four starting 18 kpd.

Griffiths has had a tough afl run with injury. And has had more than one injury this season i think. 1st choice back  CHF. Again not a small loss. Hes been playing back due to injury.

Dea is another key s22 players who has missed games recently with injury. Ditto batchelor.

Grimes is frankly a gun. And this is 2/2 year in a row we lost him. FB. Vital part of the backline.

Morris did his shoulder shep pavlich. Injury.

Deledio did the first soft tissue injury of his life.

If foley played vs freo. We would have won. Key injury.

Id like to see every of clubs injury list before i declare this year a dream run. Reiwoldt for example came into the season off the back of how many operations? And has now done his ankle.

the claw

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:28 AM »
Moore hae been has had injury forever. This counts as injury. Even if it has been a long time. Grimesy and Moore are potentially Both part of our back 6. Your argument is flawed. The coach would see him as a nuckmaxwell type 3rd/4th tall. The typed we missed last week. Again; grimes/moore can play together.

Helbig would have played more games than not, imo. I had him down starting21.outside edwards we are not blessed with small/mid forwards. Helbig has fight and talent. Not a lightly missed. Type of bloke that could have stepped into the foley role.

Astbury is our1st choice CHB. Big loss. Astbury/grimes/moore are close to 3 of our first choice four starting 18 kpd.

Griffiths has had a tough afl run with injury. And has had more than one injury this season i think. 1st choice back  CHF. Again not a small loss. Hes been playing back due to injury.

Dea is another key s22 players who has missed games recently with injury. Ditto batchelor.

Grimes is frankly a gun. And this is 2/2 year in a row we lost him. FB. Vital part of the backline.

Morris did his shoulder shep pavlich. Injury.

Deledio did the first soft tissue injury of his life.

If foley played vs freo. We would have won. Key injury.

Id like to see every of clubs injury list before i declare this year a dream run. Reiwoldt for example came into the season off the back of how many operations? And has now done his ankle.
not going to argue with ya needless to say we disagree. ive followed  injuries very closely and we have had a great run with them as far as numbers  go and to key players goes. thats not just this yr but the last three.
mick might have got a bit wrong with his assessment in giving a c+, but he was right when he said we have had less injury than any other team. it obviously played a big part in his assessment. it obviously was an important part of his assessment.

helbig astbury, griffiths and dea were and still are unproven players it shows just how little depth we have if we are relying on first and second yr players to lead the team, it really does show how little depth we have if these players are being badly missed when they cop an injury.

griffiths is barely doing enough to earn a spot in fact id say at any other club with decent depth he would not be playing.  the same goes for dave astbury even before injury despite getting games he was struggling and looked like he would take two yrs to get close to speed. helbig played 10 games and struggled in most but like the other two showed glimpses of potential.  matt dea the same.  these 4 were not going to make a difference to us winning we got games into kids because there was no other option. i still think the options are limited and we should be getting games into more kids.

the simple fact is the only senior player we have lost for an inordinate amount of time is moore. i dont know why people have to try and paint a pretty picture or make an excuse. injuries are not an excuse we can use thats for sure. why cant we just accept the facts for what they are.

you know i know 90% of the supporters acknowledge the lack of depth thank god we have not had many injuries i really hope the club can acknowledge it as well.

yes grimes is missed but the simple fact is this yr yes micks report was on the first 11 games we missed grimes for just 3 out of 11. we won two of those games.

heres a listr for ya. first group 8 plus games.

played 11 games. Conca, Cotchin, Deledio,ellis, Grigg, Houli, I Maric, Martin,Morris, Nahas, Newman, Rance, Riewoldt, Tuck,
played 10 games. Foley, Jackson suspended,
played 9 games. Edwards, Vickery, Batchelor,
played 8 games. Grimes, Miller,

second group 6 and under games. hardly an injury among them this yr or a better way to say it very few.
played 6 games. Dea, A Maric, King suspensions.
played 3 games. Griffiths.
played 2 games. White.
played 1 game.  O'hanlon, Post.

third group havent played a game.
Played 0 games. Arnot, Astbury, Browne, Connors, Darrou, Derickx, Elton, Graham, Helbig, Macdonald, Mcguane, Moore, Turner, Verrier, Webberley, Wright.
as far as i can tell theres been very little injury to this group as well. out side of Astbury long term. Helbig long term and Moore long term.
we have actually chosen not to make changes when we probably should have.

and i have to correct myself with ohanlon getting a game we now have 28 who have played this season still fewer than any other side.
the most played by any club this yr is 38 that i can gather.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
95% of our list is more or less unproven. Injury is injury and imo dea helbig astbury griff are all best 22.

You cannot rebuild due to draft and salary cap without young players. The fact we have little little back up and a young list is already well known. We dont have the means of getting good young players in the senior team plus a senior proven 28 year old afl player waitinh to cover injury in the 2s

Griff has.as much potential as anyone on the game. Before injury astbury had a class debut season dor a bloke of his size. After draft day i would of thought dimma saw his future flag winning side including his first 3 picks. Chb asybury. C martin. Chf griff. And my boy helbig would have not been far behind.
Helbig is a more rounded option king/nahas. I feel he would have helped filling the foley void. Would have goven conca and ellis a buffer. And has a decent brain/kick unlike jacko.
Dea was given the #7 for a reason and looks a natural backlinr first choice player.

I would like to know what other clubs have lost fb. Chb. Chf. Ff. As we have done. We have already argeed deledio has payed all games. Fact remains he suffered soft tissue injury and was not 100%. Due to injury.

We have only 7 senior players. (26 yoa plus). Moore long term injury plus foley and king we are going at about 50% injury rate. Infact its been cruley many of our lesser players who have bern lucky to get ofg scot free this preseason and yr thus far. My point is merely the notion of a dream run is not the case.

More so if you think what 22 magnets would of been on dimmas whiteboard if everyone fit on the eve pratice games and round 1.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:09:32 AM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »
anyone else got a headache?

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade