Author Topic: Anzac Day  (Read 2465 times)

Moi

Anzac Day
« on: April 24, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
Listening to the Footy Show on Sunday, and they debated whether Anzac Day should not just be commemorated on the Monday for the Collingwood-Essendon traditional clash, saying they didn’t like to see eight ceremonies.  Couldn’t disagree more.  Everyone from all clubs should be given a day and time to reflect on these special people who have given their lives so unselfishly. 

I find each ceremony to be very moving, and I don’t think that because we have a lot of ceremonies detracts from the importance of the event; I think it enhances it more so.

I hate war and all it stands for, but I do love the Anzac tradition and spirit.  The people who fight in these wars don’t create them, but they are the human fodder for events beyond their control.  And anyone who goes into these battles in order to make sure my family, friends and I am protected, they have my thanks and gratitude.

Try telling the Scott brothers from Brisbane or Ron Barassi they can’t be given an opportunity to remember their father, or us to remember the amazing exploits of Bill Cosgrove, who our best first year player is named after and uncle of the head of the Australian armed forces in Major General Peter Cosgrove.  Try telling supporters from all clubs they can’t remember their own war dead.

I’m going to be a very old lady in ten years  :), but I am going to try and make a pilgrimage to Gallipoli for the 100 year remembrance ceremonies.  Like many others, I have a relative http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=622587 who made the ultimate sacrifice at Courtney’s Post at Gallipoli in May 1915, the battle that Albert Jacka got his VC.  My mother also lost her fiancé in World War II.  I also feel for those who fought and survived, but whose lives were shattered or never the same ever again.

I think the very mention that we should not be given the opportunity to remember these fine people is an insult to them and I think they brought the subject up just to be controversial. 

If they don’t want to remember these people, don’t – but let the rest of us have our own moment to reflect.  The subject should not even have been broached.

God I hate being serious, but sometimes you have to.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Anzac Day
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »
Well said Moi and couldn't agree more. I don''t understand why anyone would make a fuss about having a ANZAC rememberance ceremony before each of the eight games. Most people only get to or watch the game involving their own club. This way allows everyone to pay their thanks and respects.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »
I don't mind the respectful observance of a minutes silence or the last post in the remembrance of the sacrifice paid.

I absolutely hate the way that the television networks draw the connection between the ANZAC spirit of courage and mateship and that of our footballers. It is revolting. There is no comparison between a bunch of well-paid metrosexuals who work 30 hour weeks and an ANZAC digger, I am sorry, but I would rather see footy stopped for a weekend in due deference to the ANZAC legacy if it meant this crap stopped.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 12:35:53 AM by the_boy_jake »

Moi

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:18:10 PM »
That's just television networks, and in a way i agree with you, they try to sensationalise everthing, when just a minute's silence, the ode read (which is what gets to me every time) and just a bit of time to reflect is all i need.  I don't need their commentary on everything.  It doesn't need anything - it's more moving when nothing is said at all.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:41:28 AM »
It is also the AFL itself drawing the line Moi (see article below). In my opinion the AFL has nothing to do with ANZAC day. The public holiday represents a great opportunity to showcase the game at a packed MCG, and they fully realise this. The AFL should ask the RSL if they are happy with distinctions like "The ANZAC Medal is awarded to the player in the match who best exemplifies the ANZAC Spirit - skill, courage, self-sacrifice, teamwork and fair play". The best thing to do would be to have a round this weekend, but no footy on ANZAC day itself, IMO.

True Anzac medals
By Greg Baum
April 25, 2005

There have been times this weekend when it was hard to tell whether we were observing Anzac Day or football's appropriation of Anzac Day. Before every game, a verse has been read, a trumpet played and a flag raised, even one beneath the closed roof of Telstra Dome on Saturday, which, predictably enough, did not so much fly as dangle. There have been so many minutes of silence that it might be easier to reckon them up in hours. This was all before Anzac Day dawned.

This is a delicate subject to broach. It courts the risk of appearing curmudgeonly and disrespectful, even nihilistic. But it is not to suggest that the intentions of football authorities are not honourable, nor that football is not an ideal platform upon which to bring attention to a cause. The Richmond/TAC saga was a reminder of that.

Of course, it is as important for the football community as any other to remember the dead, celebrate the living, recount the stories and dwell on their meaning. The Dick Reynolds lunch last Friday, at which 75 digger-footballers were guests of honour, was a worthy event. There was a bit of war, a bit of footy, a lot of humour and a toast.

This is how it should be. But elsewhere, two manifestly different legends have been conflated over the years, equating football and war until it begins to seem that the qualities needed to survive and triumph in one are much the same as in the other. Perhaps this is because war is simpler and easier to understand as a game, and soldiers as players.

The citation accompanying the Anzac Medal reflects this. "The ANZAC Medal is awarded to the player in the match who best exemplifies the ANZAC Spirit - skill, courage, self-sacrifice, teamwork and fair play," it reads.

The Anzac Medal is now one of a handful presented on Anzac weekend at the football. Subliminally, the effect is to put the medals around the footballer's necks on a par with the medals on the old soldiers' chests. It is to purport that a medal-winning footballer also would have been a medal-winning soldier.

But war is not a game. A footballer might have few or none of the so-called Anzac qualities and still win. A soldier might have them all and still be ripped apart by bullet, or die of infection. Footballers are called heroes. So, this weekend, are soldiers. But the scale is vastly different.

Football is a game. A footballer knows what he is signing on for, plays because he loves it and when it all goes horribly wrong, he still goes home that night. The fact most worthy of celebration about the diggers at the Reynolds lunch is that they were there to tell their stories. It was sombrely noted that 134 footballers went to war and did not come back.

It is rare to meet an old footballer who cannot think of a single redeeming feature about his career. It is rare to meet an old soldier who can think of one redeeming grace about war. Football helped soldiers cling to a sense of normality in times and places of apocalyptic abnormality. It is part of the Anzac legend. But it seems sometimes that it has become a substitute for the legend.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/04/24/1114281449410.html

Ox

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 10:06:45 AM »
It is also the AFL itself drawing the line Moi (see article below). In my opinion the AFL has nothing to do with ANZAC day. The public holiday represents a great opportunity to showcase the game at a packed MCG, and they fully realise this. The AFL should ask the RSL if they are happy with distinctions like "The ANZAC Medal is awarded to the player in the match who best exemplifies the ANZAC Spirit - skill, courage, self-sacrifice, teamwork and fair play". The best thing to do would be to have a round this weekend, but no footy on ANZAC day itself, IMO.

Correct Jake.

I'd like to go a step further If I may....

How does a performance on a football field have any similarities to digging a hole in the sand a having blokes fire guns and throw hand grenades at you ???????????

What a cash-in wank. :P

I doubt if there would be one guy in the AFL that has military credentials so in actual fact,it's more like a bunch of yellow bellies chasing a leather ball around in honor of a cause they fail to qualify in.

The Anzacs,for giving their lives to defend this country should be honored for their bravery, not capitalised upon by corporate mercinaries by way of false advertising.

LMAO@"Thanx for giving your lives so we can be here.We will now play footy in your name - KAH-CHING !!

Moi

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:04:49 AM »
I didn’t mention my dad’s fine Army record.  Wonder why lol

He tried to join when he was 14, and actually got in because he was a 6 footer by then, and I think the Army turned a blind eye when they saw a big lad, no matter how old he was.  But someone told his mum, and she came down and dragged him out by his ear lol  :lol

But he managed to get a few months service and went to some island in the Pacific.  Wasn’t there long when he got malaria, and spent the rest of the war recuperating at a Gold Coast convalescence place at Burleigh Heads.

So my dad is an old digger – a digger of sandcastles lol  :rollin

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 07:50:24 AM »
I find "The Last Post" always gets me.  Crikey, even watching "Home & Away" on Monday, once they played the Last Post and recited that bit about "lest we forget" , brought out a tear.  Last year I took my daugther to the dawn service at Currumbin.  I thought I was going to be early (4.15am) but it was already packed.  Magical to see all the crowds, with the sun coming up over the sea, a WW2 plane fly by.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:25:11 AM »
I didn’t mention my dad’s fine Army record.  Wonder why lol

He tried to join when he was 14, and actually got in because he was a 6 footer by then, and I think the Army turned a blind eye when they saw a big lad, no matter how old he was.  But someone told his mum, and she came down and dragged him out by his ear lol  :lol

But he managed to get a few months service and went to some island in the Pacific.  Wasn’t there long when he got malaria, and spent the rest of the war recuperating at a Gold Coast convalescence place at Burleigh Heads.

So my dad is an old digger – a digger of sandcastles lol  :rollin

Big hi to Mr Froars  :thumbsup

2JD

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 03:35:05 PM »
I agree theres no comparison between playing football and being a soldier. Its a bit harsh calling them yellow bellys tho, not like they have a choice about the way the propaganda AFL machine works. The AFL use any reason to make big bucks out of special events eg. the brand new traditioanl rivalry round. I even got an "I'm a footy mum" pin last year. Wonder what they'll come up with this year to get more of us mums go on mothers day weekend :P