Author Topic: Reality check  (Read 3569 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Reality check
« on: April 24, 2005, 06:47:39 PM »
Half time and already 45 points down  :help.

Saints are on full throttle. We're getting smashed all over the ground. Only Stafford is beating his direct opponent. Kellaway, Gas, Tuck, Tivs and Cambo when on are doing ok. Playing a loose man in defence is playing into St Kilda's hands as Aussie Jones and Mcguire are having a field day without an opponent.

Need to go man on man as we've got nothing to lose. We're getting thumped anyway.

Joel with the first of the second half.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Re: Reality check
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 07:04:53 PM »
They are trying, but they're up against a team who work very hard.  And they didn't learn very well from last year when the Saints showed them how it was done.  It's not a shellacking so far, but i'm far from shocked with the result.

Go Tiges, and try and win the second half at least.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 07:31:08 PM »
Yeah you're right Moi, we're trying hard but are not surprisingly daylight behind in class.

The most disappointing thing about the game is the dirty games by senior players Richo, Browny and Simmonds.

Thought Deledio did well in that 3rd quarter.

Now Hyde is k.o.ed accidently in a head clash  :(

Moi

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 07:31:45 PM »
Looks bad Chris Hyde and the other boy.  Hope they are both ok  :'(

Moi

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:35:30 PM »
It might be a reality check, but i'm pretty pleased with their efforts believe it or not.  They have not been blown out of the water considering they were down by so much at half time.  I thought we would get done by a lot before the game, because i have a bit of respect for St Kilda and how they work.  We would have to have all players playing at their best to beat a committed bunch like that.  Not many stars in their team - it's a very even effort right across the board.  But i'm seeing more and more Richmond players having a dip, even if their disposal and stuff is not the best under pressure. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 07:47:44 PM »
Yep we haven't given up. Kept it "down" to around a 10 goal loss so far.

13 separate goalkickers they have which is unusual for the Saints. They came to play and blew us away from the start.

Richo off. Sadly we won't know the difference  :(.

Pettifer 7 point play  :P

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Terry's not got the cattle - yet
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:55:57 PM »
Agree we've got a way to go. Some points -

We definitely lack class at the back. I don't know if you can get away with having Kellaway and Gaspar back there. I'm worried about this - Kellaway, Gaspar, Chaffey, Graham are all seasoned pros - so what we see is what we are gonna get.

Okay in the middle, but not at stoppages. Knobel was getting enough of it. When our players got it they were swamped. Not enough commitment from our players - when the saints got first use they were able to run it out in twos and threes.

Not enough defensive pressure from in our 50. Same goes - saints running in twos and threes.

Either crack out the roids or get rid of the runts - unless they have exceptional smarts, I'm talking Hird or Nigel Lappin. Being naturally lean is largely accepted in footy circles. As far as I am concerened this is an inept excuse. Being naturally a poor kick or naturally stupid does not gain you any sympathy. For players like Tivendale and Hall to lack size at this stage of career is an indictment on either or both of their commitment to training and our conditioning staff.  

In summary, this victory is almost reassuring in a way. We have seen that the system works against teams we are at least comparable in class with. We are not comparable with the saints. The loss today seems to indicate that we are not riding an emotional wave as in previous years. Once Terry has the cattle, I think we will go a long way. Its gonna be a long way into the 5 years though.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Terry's not got the cattle - yet
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 08:19:46 PM »
Agree Jake. No hiding away from the fact it's going to take Terry's whole 5 years to get up to the standard the Saints and Eagles played today. Funny thing is despite today I think we have a good chance to win a few games this year just because most AFL sides are mediocre and there won't be that huge class gap that we saw today.

We definitely lack class at the back. I don't know if you can get away with having Kellaway and Gaspar back there. I'm worried about this - Kellaway, Gaspar, Chaffey, Graham are all seasoned pros - so what we see is what we are gonna get.

The concerning thing is it's going to take a while to replace these guys as our list is thin in regards to middle year players especially KPPs. Our midfield is ok in terms of youngsters coming through but the next draft has to build up our bookends.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 09:13:18 PM »
Our team has the kicking skills of a multiple sclerosis unit.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 09:30:40 PM »
Agree Jake. No hiding away from the fact it's going to take Terry's whole 5 years to get up to the standard the Saints and Eagles played today. Funny thing is despite today I think we have a good chance to win a few games this year just because most AFL sides are mediocre and there won't be that huge class gap that we saw today.

Spot on. Mediocre is the word. We are not a shambles. We play with a better defined system than previous mediocre Tiger sides, and we play attacking footy. Terry is also a very good matchday coach. Lets not forget he was the only coach in the land who could architect a win over the mighty Essendon side of 2000. We will win more than Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. Are a very real chance of winning more than Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon (what does this say about the plight of Vic clubs?).

The frustrating thing is that Hawthorn could finsh with another round of PPs and us a mid first range choice even though we are coming from the same position. St Kilda are the blueprint of the draft gone mad. Its been done a thousand times, so I wont go on, but basically Thomas and co. did it absolutely perfectly, played pathetically, without heart, brought in young talent, got rid of heartless losers and imported winners, while using the 5 years as his apprenticeship - look what they have now.

Even though we got smashed out of the middle, a lot of the time it was because our young midfield were running ahead of the contest. I don't mind that - we had to take a gamble and the kids were not afraid to have a go.

Time to stay positive. The ingredients are there but it will take some time.

The concerning thing is it's going to take a while to replace these guys as our list is thin in regards to middle year players especially KPPs. Our midfield is ok in terms of youngsters coming through but the next draft has to build up our bookends.

There is nothing coming through seemingly. We are a tall short. Asking Hall to go on Hamill was not unreasonable given the stage of career he is at - asking Hall to consider whether he thinks he is good enough to be a professional footballer would not be unreasonable either.

It is strange, reading books about footy from 30 years ago, they used to talk about CHB being an easy position to play as your opponent at CHF had such a difficult task. These days with all the rebounding from defence, with the swiftness that the opposition can move the ball it actually takes a cultivated, athletic footballer to play there. We need to resist the urge to throw every tall that comes through up forward, as we are going to have problems down back in a couple of years.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 09:35:46 PM »
Not the best analogy John.  My mother died from MS at the age of 29.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 09:39:41 PM »

John - I don't want to bag Richo, he tried his heart out, and there are many worse footballers on our list, but Plough should modify his rules:

* If Richo marks within range, go back and kick it, if he is outside range, do not kick to a contest. It doesn't make sense - he is not penetrating in the sense that the ball hangs for a long time - the only time we are going to get anything from that is if we have at least two players who can take a contested mark in there, which would be Staff and er Richo.

Desperately need a better kicking option at half-forward. Chaffey and Tivendale, limited human beings, do the right thing and hit it to 30m front and square, but its just hitting and hoping really. Big high hanging drop punts. A big fist from a defender and St. Kilda were away. It is quite strange saying this, but Leon Cameron's retirement has had more effect than I thought it would, much more.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 09:57:27 PM »
Not the best analogy John.  My mother died from MS at the age of 29.

Sorry Julz I am a prik.  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 10:34:51 PM »
We will win more than Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. Are a very real chance of winning more than Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon (what does this say about the plight of Vic clubs?).

The frustrating thing is that Hawthorn could finsh with another round of PPs and us a mid first range choice even though we are coming from the same position.

Brisbane could end up with a higher pick than us the way they're going at the moment  :P. While we could  get punished for winning two close games  :help.

It is strange, reading books about footy from 30 years ago, they used to talk about CHB being an easy position to play as your opponent at CHF had such a difficult task. These days with all the rebounding from defence, with the swiftness that the opposition can move the ball it actually takes a cultivated, athletic footballer to play there. We need to resist the urge to throw every tall that comes through up forward, as we are going to have problems down back in a couple of years.

And to think Glen Jacovich was the best CHB in the comp only 5-10 years ago. Now it's Chad Cornes.  

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers below the top echelon - Wallace
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 10:49:57 PM »
Tigers below the top echelon
9:40:12 PM Sun 24 April, 2005
Jennifer Witham
Exclusive to richmondfc.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace says the Tigers' 68-point loss to the Saints really sums up where the club is at the moment - in comparison to the stronger teams.

So far this season, Richmond has triumphed over Hawthorn, the Western Bulldogs, and Fremantle at home - the match against St Kilda being its first real test since its round one thumping at the hands of another powerful team in Geelong.

"I think that it's fair to say that where we're at, at the moment, we're not up with the big boys of the competition," he said.

"We've shown twice that we've been in that position, and not been able to compete with two sides that you would expect to be up in the top echelon of the competition.

"We've just got to keep working until we can do that, we said we were coming into the main event today, well, we were knocked out, that's purely and simply the way that the game was played."

He put the 68-point thumping down to the Saints getting on top early, and not relenting enough to allow the Tigers to claw their way back into the game.

"When it was there and needed to be done, early in the game, we just weren't able to compete with them and I think they kicked six unanswered goals in ten minutes of footy and that was really the ball game," Wallace said.

"We were just never really back in the hunt after they broke it open early."

The new-look Richmond forward set-up - comprising Greg Stafford, Troy Simmonds and Matthew Richardson - did not offer any potency, but Wallace criticised the delivery to the forward area as the major cause for lacklustre attacking.

So disappointing was the display, Wallace likened aspects of that area to the Richmond side of 2004 - the one which dropped 14 consecutive games.

"We kicked it to Stafford a couple of times early and he was able to take a couple of contested marks, and then all of a sudden our blokes thought this is simple," he said.

"All they wanted to do was just bomb it up in the air to him, and eventually all they do is just round off their opponents.

"Almost went back 12 months to what I was watching with Richmond last year, and it was Richardson that time, this time it was Stafford fighting three and four blokes, they just round off, peel off, and we never see the ball again."

But Wallace did emphasise that the loss was not the end of the world for the recently-improved Tigers outfit, and outlined the way Richmond will attack the loss to use it to their advantage.

"We sit down and we analyse what went wrong, where we need to improve, and just go through those sorts of actions, that's all we can be doing," he said.

He also spoke of his belief that the approach to next week's match against Port Adelaide as almost being paramount to reflecting on the loss, considering the main downfall for clubs is stringing together consecutive losses.

"If you don't lose multiple games, you just about make the finals," he said.

"As bad as what one game is, you've got to deal with it, analyse it, assess it, and then really strongly start looking at the next one to make sure it doesn't happen two weeks in a row.

"If you can achieve that, you're still making ground and you're still going somewhere in this competition."

While many will use the Anzac Day public holiday for fun and frivolity, the Tigers will use it to dissect their loss to ensure they approach their upcoming clash with Port with an optimistic mindset.

"Public holiday for most tomorrow, but not for us, we'll do all our analytical stuff, I'll do my stuff tonight, and we'll analyse the game as a group again tomorrow."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=198329