Author Topic: Hardwick wants 17-game season (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3325 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick wants 17-game season (Herald-Sun)
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:12:42 AM »
Coaches join chorus for short season

Eliza Sewell
    July 06, 2012

DAMIEN Hardwick wants the season cut to 17 games, and the Richmond coach is not alone.

Hardwick said "without doubt" the season was too long and 10 of his counterparts agreed.

A survey conducted by AFL Media and the AFL Coaches' Association found 11 of the 18 coaches thought the season was too long.

Six, including Hardwick, want a 17-game season, where teams play each other once.

Just six coaches want the current 22-game home-and-away season, which the AFL is contracted to for the next four years.

"It should be 17 games for mine," Hardwick said.

"I just think the attrition rate of players, it's becoming more physically demanding.

"That way we play 17 games, it's a fairer draw and we move on from there."

Four coaches want an 18-round season with the double-up game being a blockbuster.

One coach called for a longer season of 25 rounds. and another wanted 20.

"The draw is a raffle - and we know it will not change because of the media rights," AFL Coaches' Association chief executive Danny Frawley said yesterday.

"But the coaches are saying they want an even draw and an even competition."

Also significant in the annual survey is:

NO support for a return to State of Origin games.

SPLIT support on a 9-9 vote for a mid-season draft to be re-established. The in-season market was packed away in 1993.

SUPPORT on an 11-7 vote for the video review of uncertain scoring decisions by goal umpires.

NO concern for the lengths of quarters. The coaches say the ideal length for a term is 28 minutes.

HAWTHORN forward Lance Franklin is the player seven coaches would trade for today.

Brownlow medallist Gary Ablett is the player of choice among three of the coaches.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/coaches-join-chorus-for-short-season/story-e6frf9jf-1226418287867

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick wants 17-game season (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »
Too short. We need to get a tassie team and northern territory team. Aim for 20 teams more. Ideally a 23 team comp with 22 rounds

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:34 AM »
Must happen. Current system is not fair

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »
Agree bents, but it wont happen as long as that sawn off little dictator is in charge. I heard an interview with him last year and said a number of times they were unapologetic about the draw being uneven
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

no way they will drop their TV rights revenue for a shorter and fairer draw

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:52:59 AM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

no way they will drop their TV rights revenue for a shorter and fairer draw

Exactly TV rights went into billions a shorter season and the cake will get dramatically smaller next time. Furthermore NRL season runs for much longer than 22-23 rounds that we have and if AFL shorten the season you'll find the AFL will lose TV rights and sponsors to the NRL and the AFL is priding itself in growing the sport in Western Sydney and South East Queensland. It will only make their job just that little bit more difficult.

Won't happen too many teams and lots of footy nuts who'll go crazy. :lol :rollin :lol

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
they just need to extend the pre season comp by a few weeks and someohow raise it's status. perhaps some sort of bonus for winning both cups.

perhaps they could look at a way of extending the finals series by a week as well. finals are the big money spinners.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
The season is already too short for me as it is. It passes so quick.

I say extend it to 42 games.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »
Need a fair draw.

Extend the finals series if they need more games.

Name any local league let alone professional sport where you play some teams twice and others once.

Should play everyone once, and have a NBA style finals series where you play best of 3 games to get the $ required for TV rights. Would rather was 3 final games of Hawks vs Essendon killing each other than a North Melbourne vs GWS anyway.
Go Tigers!

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »
they just need to extend the pre season comp by a few weeks and someohow raise it's status.

They need to get rid of it.

That's how they can shorten the season. Couple of practice matches and into the season proper.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »
that doesnt solve the problem of an uneven draw though damo.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
Or they could do what was suggested a few years back and have a conference where you play each team in your conference twice and once from the other conference. I'll try dig up an article from a while back that spoke of some alternatives. I thought they were reasonable ideas.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »
AFL relegation plan

FORMER Richmond vice-president Brendan Schwab believes there will be an increase in ''inconsequential'' matches in an expanded 18-team competition from next season and has devised an alternative two-division system that involves relegation.

Schwab, the brother of Melbourne chief executive Cameron Schwab, and the president of the Australian Professional Footballers Association, presented his plan to The Age after reading comments made by Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse flagging a reduction in the number of teams playing in the finals and the possibility of relegation.

The AFL last week said the final-eight system would remain in place at least until the end of the 2013 season.

Schwab said the AFL should use where teams finished that season to split the league into two divisions for season 2014, with the top nine in division one and teams 10 to 18 in division two.

The home-and-away season would comprise 25 matches, with each team playing those in its division twice and those in the other division once. Division one would return to the McIntyre final-five system, with the side finishing on top having a bye in the opening round of the finals.

Teams that finished sixth and seventh in division one would join teams finishing 12th, 13th and 14th - the latter three in division two - in playing off to avoid relegation.

Teams finishing eighth and ninth in division one would be relegated. In division two, the top two ranked teams would automatically be promoted.

Schwab, who sat on the Tigers' board from 1998 to 2004 and is one of the country's top sports administrators, said there was strong merit in a relegation system.

''I have been a great fan of the AFL's for many years and the AFL's right to expand but the real risk, and I know this from being a passionate Richmond supporter, is that expanding now results in an 18-team competition that can take away some of the genuine hope that is so important for fans and may result in there being too many inconsequential games,'' he said.

''If it is possible to schedule a 25-round home-and-away season in lieu of the NAB Cup, then here we have an opportunity that will achieve sporting balance to create a situation where nearly every game would be of monumental importance to the teams.

''It would also introduce something which I have seen firsthand in soccer, which is such a compelling part of the season, and that is the threat that if you don't perform to the necessary level, then you could find yourself relegated and out of contention for at least another season.''

One criticism of having two divisions is that there could be a reduction in traditional and lucrative blockbusters if, for instance, Carlton and Collingwood were not grouped together.

However, Schwab, who has worked on this proposal for a year and plans to seek AFL feedback, felt that wouldn't be too great an issue.

''Based on last year's results, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond would all be in division two this year so they would be playing each other twice and Collingwood once,'' Schwab said.

''Big rivals will play almost as much but for bigger stakes. But what I think will happen is, if there is a loss of artificially scheduling them to play each other twice a year, that will be replaced by a genuine contest. Some of the games between lesser-traditional rivalries will take on a much greater significance.''

Schwab said his plan would not alter the salary cap or national draft or the way clubs now build their playing list.

''You still have to take a long-term approach to building premierships. But it tempers that with the fact you can be either rewarded greatly or penalised greatly through success or failure in any given season,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-relegation-plan-20110607-1fr2x.html

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
No way dimmer 17 game season
I couldn't bare an extra 5 weeks of waiting
The afl won't do it they will lose millions on tv rights plus ticketing
Clubs memberships will also be affected
This is my system

The only way to square up the draw is as follows
Each team plays each other once : 17 games
The draw is then divided into 3 groups of six
Top six
Seventh to twelfth
Thirteenth to last
These teams play each other once which is 22 games
Now if you finish in the top six you can't drop out of it but position can change
7 th to 12 th can only make the eight
13 to 18 fight for the draft picks
To stop tanking
13 th get no 1
18 th get no2
14 gets 3
17 gets 4
16 gets6
15 gets 5
This system stops dead rubbers and stops people losing interest and creates five rds of block busters
Rfc
Truly my dear in this world a square is not round-Don Giovanni

10 FLAGS

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
I say no one plays any games and that way everyone can be happy because their team can never lose  ;D