Author Topic: Stars say salary cap is old hat, urge AFL to look to USA (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2684 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Stars say salary cap is old hat, urge AFL to look to US

Michael Warner, Jon Ralph
    July 11, 2012

PLAYERS have floated an NBA-style luxury tax as an alternative to footy's 27-year-old salary cap.

As Collingwood struggles to accommodate Travis Cloke's massive pay demands, the AFL player union says the league's salary cap - introduced in 1985 - could soon be past its use-by date.

A luxury tax is employed in the US where teams such as the LA Lakers in basketball and New York Yankees in baseball are permitted to spend extra money on their stars.

Some player agents are also pushing for a new "marquee player" rule, which would see the wage of one player at every club excluded from the cap, and full disclosure of all player salaries.

The AFLPA option would see a cap imposed on the combined amount of money clubs could spend on their players and football departments.

If the game's richest clubs chose to exceed the cap, a luxury tax would see them pay a surcharge to the poorer teams.

While providing the potential for higher wages, players argue it would make for a more even competition.

A new collective bargaining agreement was signed last year, but the AFLPA continues to throw up alternatives because of concern about the widening gap between player salaries and football department expenditure.

"When you look around the world, other sporting competitions have been hugely successful by adopting other equalisation measures such as luxury taxes, and greater revenue sharing arrangements between clubs," AFLPA chief Matt Finnis said yesterday.

A Herald Sun examination of the AFL salary cap system found:

* GREATER Western Sydney is set to dramatically downgrade and possibly abandon its Breakfast Point residential base given its $400,000-a-year cost is included in the Giants' total player payments.

* LEADING player agents raised the prospect of a "marquee player" rule at last week's industry conference.

* WEST Coast Eagles chiefs have argued for a cost of living allowance, similar to the $862,000 annual bonus enjoyed by the two Sydney clubs, because of spiralling Perth property prices.

* RICKY Nixon, the controversial father figure of AFL player management, believes it is time for all player salaries to be publicly declared.

Senior AFLPA executive Ian Prendergast studied the luxury tax system last month during a visit to the US where he met officials from the MLB, NFL and NBA.

AFL player manager Tom Petroro believes the alternative marquee rule would help clubs reward loyal stars of six or more years service.

"Each club could be entitled to have one marquee player," he said.

"It might have to be six years of service at one club, but it would help clubs retain their best players and protect the investment clubs put into their players."

Nixon believed the franchise or marquee model would help reward under-paid stars.

"I have mooted for a long time that each club should have a franchise player they have to nominate on a yearly basis," Nixon said.

"Guys like Nick Riewoldt and Chris Judd and Jonathan Brown are earning the same money Wayne Carey was in 2000, and that's 12 years ago.

"Some serious thought needs to be put into it. You would nominate a franchise player and if he wasn't the franchise player the next year, his salary would have to go into the cap. It would solve the Cloke situation for sure."

Nixon said making player salaries public would help take the guesswork out of contract negotiations.

"If salaries were disclosed then supporters would understand what players were on and whether they were playing to that ability or not," he said.

"It means players have an obligation to play at that level and it stops the conjecture and arguments about salary caps because the money is out there in the open.

"If you want the big money you have to perform for it. In every other big sport in the world salaries are made public."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/stars-say-salary-cap-is-old-hat-urge-afl-to-look-to-us/story-e6frf9jf-1226422957507

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Nixon a father figure?

Josef Fritzl was a father, i suppose.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

:lol

And a grandfather

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Nixon a father figure?

Josef Fritzl was a father, i suppose.

God you're classy. Having a crack at Fritzy. :(

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
 :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Well if the AFLPA want to adopt the US "Luxury tax" model ala the MLB then they should have adopt the whole model which includes disclosing salaries  ;D

Can I say that the Luxury Tax in Baseball hasn't helped the smaller market teams as they rarely if ever pour the monies they receive back into their own payrolls. the owners pocket it

Remember a few years back the owner of the Twins admitted keeping the tax and at the same time slashed their payroll even further.

Also when the MLB was looking at reducing the number of teams the same owner also "volunteered" to have his team removed from the competition because the MLB was offering big $$$ to anyone who was prepared to go. Don't like speaking ill of the dead but he was a miserable mean bug-ger
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

IMO the players are getting greedy.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame

yep and some miss goals from 20 metres out or less.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

yep and some miss goals from 20 metres out or less.

stuffing Edwards and Grigg.  :banghead :banghead

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
had a few mates

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

Ox

Re: Stars say salary cap is old hat, urge AFL to look to USA (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 01:05:17 AM »
No player in the afl,idgaf who it is,deserves more than 350k a year.

AFL should reduce maximum wage.

What- r the guys gonna do -  go and play in America for bigger money?

This aint the US and we don't have the numbers to accommodate what will ultimately become ludicrous amounts of money allocated to poomen that can't even pass math and english.

They want more? - Float the AFL and give them stock options,otherwise STFU
and chase the ball around the ground for 4 quarters.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:33:16 AM by one-eyed »