Author Topic: Richo down the track to head back to the goalsquare  (Read 1746 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo down the track to head back to the goalsquare
« on: April 27, 2005, 03:27:16 AM »
Coach thinks inside square on Richo
Malcolm Conn
The Australian
April 27, 2005

ENIGMATIC Richmond forward Matthew Richardson is likely to prolong his AFL career by eventually following Alastair Lynch's example of playing from the goalsquare, according to first-year Tigers coach Terry Wallace.

While Richardson has been moved out to centre half-forward in a restructured forward line, Wallace believes his most important focal point will become the same type of player as Lynch, who spearheaded the Brisbane Lions in four successive grand finals.

Playing deep in attack at full-forward allowed Lynch to become the oldest player in the league. He retired after last year's losing grand final at the age of 36.

Richardson, 30, plays his 200th game for Richmond against struggling premiers Port Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday and needs only four goals to become the third Tigers player to kick 600.

"I still wanted him to play up the ground a little more because of the motor he's got and his ability to run, but I do see an Alastair Lynch role a little bit further down the track," Wallace said.

Richardson believes he has plenty of good football left in his robust body. "I think I can play for at least another three or four years," Richardson said. "I don't see why not. As long as you can hold your pace I think you can still play. If that went, I don't think I'd want to play."

Despite his enormous ability, Richardson is one of the most maligned players in the AFL, even among some Richmond supporters, for his inconsistent kicking and poor body language.

They are criticisms Richardson does not walk away from but he believes both areas have improved significantly.

"I've had my share of misses and they make the highlight reels for the wrong reasons, but over the journey I haven't been as bad as what people might think with my goal kicking," he said.

"There are probably some people who think certain players are pretty good kicks and I've got a better percentage than them.

"I do look at that sort of thing. You can't help it when people bring it up all the time."

Indeed, of all the leading goalkickers in VFL-AFL history, Richardson's 60 per cent conversion rate is quite acceptable.

Former Saint and Sydney Swan Tony Lockett has the best with 70 per cent, while Peter Hudson (Hawthorn) and Matthew Lloyd (Essendon) have recorded 69per cent.

But goalkicking greats such as Gordon Coventry and Peter Daicos (both Collingwood) and Gary Ablett (Hawthorn/Geelong) all sit with Richardson with a 60 per cent conversion rate.

The Tigers star named West Coast's Ashley McIntosh as his most difficult opponent, Geelong's Matthew Scarlett as the best current full-back and Kangaroos hard man Glenn Archer as his most enjoyable opponent.

Richardson is equal-league goalkicking leader on 16, despite failing to kick a goal on Sunday. But he dismisses his chances of winning the Coleman Medal for the most goals at the end of the home-and-away season or kicking a ton this year.

Given his lack of club success, the son of former Tigers premiership player Alan "Bull" Richardson shows little interest in individual awards.

He has only one winning final to show for 13 years of senior football - a semi-final win over Carlton in 2001, when the Tigers appeared to be on the march.

"We probably thought we were going better than we were and that was proven in the next few years," he said. Richmond won only 18 of 66 matches over the following three seasons and took the wooden spoon last year.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15097240%255E36035,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo happy to call Punt Road home
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:45:07 AM »
Richo happy to call Punt Road home
The Age
Dan Oakes
April 27, 2005

On the eve of game 200, the Tiger spearhead no longer thinks of leaving, Dan Oakes reports.

It is well-documented that enigmatic Richmond forward Matthew Richardson has had a fraught relationship with the Tigers' faithful during his 199 games, but yesterday he said any thoughts of leaving Punt Road had long since been banished from his mind.

Richardson said that as he enters his 13th season at the club where his father Alan won a premiership in 1967, he feels he has matured as a player and no longer dwells on the criticism he has endured for his supposedly poor kicking and, at times, lackadaisical attitude.

Richardson's career has coincided with a 25-year dry spell for the Tigers, and he has, at times, been the whipping boy for the infamously savage Richmond fans. But while the 30-year-old admitted thinking about leaving Punt Road in the past, he said he was not looking for sympathy.

"No, probably a lot of (the criticism) has been warranted," he said.

"I just think once you get a perception about you as a footballer, it's fairly hard to change. I don't worry about it now, whatever people think they think and you have to do things right for a long time for that to change, I'd say, so it doesn't worry me any more."

With a wry smile, Richardson said his supposedly wonky kicking was nowhere near as bad as commonly thought, and that his figures stacked up well against those of other spearheads in the league generally considered to be good shots.

He also said he had worked at eradicating the poor body language that has been dissected so much over the years and even led to him being dropped by former coach Danny Frawley in 2002.

"I can't remember too many instances where I've been told that it's no good in the last 12 months, maybe once last year. It's something I keep working on and hopefully it will be a non-issue in the next few years," Richardson said.

Richardson has played in only one winning final in 13 years - over Carlton by 11 points in the 2001 first semi-final - but said he saw a faint glimmer of hope with the arrival of Terry Wallace and a batch of exciting young players at Punt Road.

The big forward said he believes he can play for another two or three years, enough time for Wallace's plans to come to fruition and for him to match his father's achievement.

"There's no doubt that when you get some exciting young players, it lifts the older players; you start to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel," Richardson said.

"I think we've made some inroads in the early part of this year, we've obviously got a fair way to go, but I think if we can get some more young recruits at the end of this year and whatever happens with draft picks and trades and that sort of thing, we can definitely build up to a finals side in the next few years."

Richardson also foreshadowed a more static, Alastair Lynch-type role for himself as he reaches the end of his career. Wallace agreed, but said the big man was still in prime physical condition and had plenty left to offer as a rampaging centre half-forward.

"Matthew might have seen himself doing that a little bit earlier and gone down that path last year, but I suppose when I came, I said I wanted him to get on his bike again and really sort of become the athlete that I know he can be for the next couple of years," Wallace said.

Asked to nominate the toughest full-backs, Richardson went for Ashley McIntosh ("very quick but very strong as well"), Glenn Archer "(a bit of a mismatch in size, but everyone knows what he's like") and Matthew Scarlett ("he's probably right up there").

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/04/26/1114462038707.html?from=storyrhs

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richo down the track to head back to the goalsquare
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 08:23:36 AM »
I find it such a shame that instead of openly celebrating this milestone, Matthew has to endure criticism and finds himself defending his goal kicking and occasional dummy spits. :banghead  Just this once why couldn't they just praise what he's actually achieved...no they have to put in his kicking accuracy etc. Why is he forced to defend himself all the time....no other player on achieveing a significant milestone is? Lucky for them that Richo is a genuinely great guy who is happy to take the mickey out of himself, but gee it must get old!

The Hun's write up was worse - they have him with a LOT of dummy spits and a FEW goals. I beg to differ, the man has not had 600 dummy spits, he certainly doesn't average 3 tantrums per match...mostly he doesn't average one.

Neitz was openly lauded when he played his 250th and they went nuts when he kicked his 500th goal. This man goes missing far more than Richo and does his block far more than Richo and has been reported far more than Richo.

Richo has averaged more marks than anyone else is his era and averaged 3 goals per match and also had the most ordinary delivery of anyone playing league football...now they are genuinely good stats.

I'm also sick of reading how Richmond fans don't appreciate him...it's only a handful. These reporters should head down to a club function one day and check out the crowds around Richo or have a look at all the jumpers with 12 on the back.

You'll do me Richo - I hope you play a blinder on Sunday and stick it up everyone. Go big fella :cheers

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 03:33:36 PM »
There is definitely criticism due but I fk'en HATE IT how other players can escape criticism becuase they play in a succesful team.

Neitz is a great example bg25. Every second week he struggles to touch the ball and yet he does't recieve any criticism becuase he plays in a successful team.

Richo is a way better player than him, but because he has been in a dreadful team over the years his performances always come under scrutiny.

Whilst i don't subscribe to the theory that Richo would be a better player in a better team i think there is no doubt that he would be better recieved and better appreciated.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 05:30:29 PM »
Haven't heard too much about this charity award Richo has received.  Nice to know he's done more than any other AFL player for charity.  Can anyone elaborate a bit about it?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 07:50:03 PM »
Excellent post bg25 :thumbsup

I'm also sick of reading how Richmond fans don't appreciate him...it's only a handful. These reporters should head down to a club function one day and check out the crowds around Richo or have a look at all the jumpers with 12 on the back.

Tezza was on SEN this morning nad he actually made a point about this. He said that it wasn't until he came to the Club did he realise how much Richo does for the Club off the field. Tezza said that he reckons no other players does more for a footy club than Matthew Richardson. Also mentioned that on the family days when everyone else is showered changed and heading home you'll find Richo still out on Punt Road Oval signing autographs and he doesn't leave until he has signed every single one of the them.

Without doubt a champion bloke

You'll do me Richo - I hope you play a blinder on Sunday and stick it up everyone. Go big fella :cheers

Ditto and I'll drink to that ;D :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 07:34:48 AM »
Onya Matthew,

The highlight of the last 10 years down at tigerland.

:thumbsup