Author Topic: Alex Gilmour  (Read 1110 times)

Moi

Alex Gilmour
« on: April 27, 2005, 07:14:01 PM »
He's been around for a while.  For those who go and watch him play regularly, is he any closer do you think to getting a senior game?  Unbiased opinions please lol  :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Gilmour
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:27:16 PM »
Well Moi, as I said previously on the Coburg thread I reckon his game against the Box Hill Hawks was the best I have seen him play defensively. Actually it was probably his best game all round. The other part was not only was his very sound defensively he set up alot of attacks on Monday.

As an attacking midfielder or Half forward for the Burgers he has always shown lots of promise. What has let him down in those positions IMO has been the defensive part of his game. Too often he allowed his opponent to run off him to easily with little or no pressure. That's one of the reasons he's been played in the back half for Coburg  - to teach him to be more accountable. And it is fair to say he has struggled across HB at times.

The one thing that is still a concern(to me at least) is his size - he still seems very light to me even though they reckon he put on about 6-8(?) kilos over the pre-season. But having said it's a concern I will add that in the 2 games I've seen him play for Coburg this season he does seem to be stronger in the upper body because his tackling appears to have improved.

And don't forget he is only 18 - he was drafted at 17. Doesn't turn 19 until June '05

And it helps if I answer the other part of your question ;D.

Yep based on what he showed on Monday he is edging closer to a senior game - but what he needs to do is play like he did on Monday over a few weeks
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:30:02 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 07:32:38 PM »
Thanks WP  :thumbsup, i was rapt to hear he won the medal on Monday, but wondered whether his form had been more consistent this year.  Coburg haven't been playing well, so hopefully this win might turn them around and we'll see some better things for Alex and the others.  I might even pull my finger out one day and go down and support them a couple of times.  Not that i know who's who running around, but i'll go and support 'em lol.  Hopefully, this is the beginning of some good form for young Alex and he gets a chance some time this year.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:43:56 AM »
Actually he hasn't really been around for a while.  It's his second season and he's very young, I beleive he's younger than guys like Tambling, Meyer, Patto etc.  He was the youngest guy taken in 2003, and probably should have been taken in 2204 instead.  So I wouldn't be worried about rushing him.  I've seen Alex on a few occassions at Coburg and to be honest he hasn't impressed me.  He seems like a complete footballer ie has good hand and foot skills, and moves really well with reasonable pace.  But of all the times I've seen him I just didn't notice him enough.  he never really got into the game and was just let the game go by.  i suppose his age had alot to do with it as he was the youngest and slightest one there last year.  However, early this year I saw him at an intra club game and I was quite impressed with a few things he did.  Consider Alex one of this years batch and don't be too worried if he doesn't get a game this year. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 06:32:43 PM »
Actually he hasn't really been around for a while.  It's his second season and he's very young, I beleive he's younger than guys like Tambling, Meyer, Patto etc.  He was the youngest guy taken in 2003, and probably should have been taken in 2204 instead.  So I wouldn't be worried about rushing him.

Gilmour just scraped into the 2003 draft. He was right at the lower end in terms of age. His birthday is the end of June 1986. So compared to the 2004 draftees he is younger than Pattison (Mar 86) and Thursfield (Apr 86) and just a few months older than Meyer, Polo (both Aug 86), Tambling (Sept 86) and Limbach (Oct 86). McGuane (Feb 87) and Deledio (Apr 87) are the youngest on our list.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd