Author Topic: Richmond ressies/VFL side [merged]  (Read 436765 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond ressies/VFL side [merged]
« Reply #1095 on: October 29, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »
Confirmed on RFC website

We will be fielding a standalone 2nd Tier comp side (VFL side)

We are one of 22 teams in the eastern seaboard comp

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/832549/richmond-to-feature-in-east-coast-second-tier-competition
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1096 on: November 18, 2020, 07:01:55 PM »
The Commission accepted the following adjustment to be implemented in the 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition:

Three players to be stationed inside 50 metres at each stoppage

A minimum of three Players from each team to be stationed inside 50 metres – including one pair in the Goal Square – at all Kick Ins and Boundary Throw Ins. The officiating Umpire will not recommence play until all players are in position. Where a team fails to comply at a Boundary Throw In, a Free Kick shall be awarded to the Player of the opposing Team at the point of the stoppage. Where the attacking team fails to comply at a Kick In, a 50-metre Penalty shall be awarded to the defending team.

The rule to be implemented in the VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition will be closely monitored prior to consideration as to whether it is implemented in the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/524846/game-adjustments-for-the-2021-toyota-afl-premiership-season

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1097 on: December 03, 2020, 12:58:43 AM »
Our VFL side has lost a couple of our VFL-listed defenders.

Hugh Beasley has crossed to the Box Hill Hawks

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1416490472034369&_rdr

------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Coffield has joined Sandringham

Coffield, is a back-man who has played 62 games with Richmond’s VFL side since 2016. In 2019 he was part of the Tiger’s VFL premiership winning side and also took out the Guinane Medal as the team’s Best and Fairest.

The intercepting defender is looking forward to a “new challenge” with Sandringham.

“I really loved my time at Richmond but it’s exciting to start something fresh. I really can’t wait,” he said.

Sandringham’s alignment with St Kilda, where his brother Nick plays, as well as the club’s appointment of former Tiger’s teammate Jake Batchelor as Head Coach, were major selling points for Coffield.

“My brother plays for St Kilda so family alignment was really appealing,” he said.

“I knew Batch because we played 30-35 games together at Richmond in the 2’s, which was another reason for me finding Sandringham appealing.

https://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/latest-news/sandringham-sign-ross-and-coffield-for-2021

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1098 on: February 01, 2021, 07:38:39 PM »
VICTORIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE 2021 SEASON SET TO BEGIN APRIL 17

The AFL today announced the 2021 VFL season is set to begin on Saturday April 17, which will see state league men’s footy return to Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales after a 2020 season affected by COVID-19.

The home and away season will feature 22 clubs from Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria and will consist of a 16-game season across 19 rounds. The largest second-tier football competition in Australia will provide all players with a premium standard of football with VFL matches played in Queensland and New South Wales for the first time.

A Top Eight Finals structure will commence on Saturday August 28 with the VFL Grand Final to be held on the weekend of September 18/19. All clubs will have three allocated byes to provide an added level of flexibility to adjust where required.

The VFL Competition will integrate into a streamlined calendar for men’s football with the 2021 NAB League Boys, with both seasons running concurrently with the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The 2021 fixture is set to be released at the end of February given the connection to the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. The involvement of AFL-listed players from 14 AFL clubs in the VFL competition is central to the fixturing of the season. All clubs and fans have shown resilience and patience ahead of the fixture release.

All clubs have commenced preseason training and are following the return-to-train protocols and guidelines established by the AFL. Club practice matches will commence in March.

Clubs:

Standalone Clubs: Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown

Standalone AFL Clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans

Aligned Clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons

All clubs will have connections to community clubs and pathway programs, including a varied alignment to Under-19 NAB League Clubs for Victorian-based teams and state league programs for New South Wales and Queensland-based teams.

The AFL will continue to work with all AFL Clubs on their non-selected AFL players ahead of their respective 2021 seasons and their involvement in state league football.

The AFL will continue to review all arrangements including return-to-play protocols and the return of fans to matches in consultation with clubs, the various State Governments and respective Health Officers to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved in this competition remains the priority.

https://vfl.com.au/victorian-football-league-2021-season-set-to-begin-april-17/

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1099 on: February 01, 2021, 09:12:26 PM »
Are they seriously going to call it the VFL with multiple teams from QLD and NSW?

Surely East Coast Football League would be better or ECFL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1100 on: February 02, 2021, 02:50:15 PM »
VFL update: season to start on Sat, April 17, each club to play 16 games across 19 rounds. A top eight locked in for finals and the grand final is set down for the weekend of Sept 18-19. Fixture to be released at the end of Feb.

https://twitter.com/PaulAmy375

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1101 on: February 16, 2021, 05:25:13 PM »
Been a lot of departures from Richmond VFL since the 2019 premiership year. But Steve Morris is returning to lead a young list. Brad Melville, the prominent @MelbCC allrounder and 2017 Wangaratta Magpies (thanks @david_johnston5) premiership player, is a good addition.

As Aaron Heppell returns to Leongatha, another Parrot sets out for the VFL. Onballer Cam Olden has made the Richmond VFL list and Gatha coach Paul Carbis reckons he’ll make a player. Featured in the 2019 GF team in his first year out of the Under 18s.

https://twitter.com/PaulAmy375

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1102 on: February 17, 2021, 04:42:48 PM »
Premier Cricket allrounder Brad Melville links with Richmond’s VFL team

Richmond’s VFL squad for 2021 includes a string of promising players from the ranks of country football.

Paul Amy
The Leader
February 16, 2021

Brad Melville’s sporting focus has switched.

For a few years it was on cricket, and it took him through elite state pathways and on to Victorian Premier level.

Now it’s on football, and he’s linked with Richmond for the expanded 2021 VFL competition.

The 22-year-old is taking a spell from wicket-taking and run-making after combining both sports 12 months ago, with some difficulty.

Melville was playing with the strong Melbourne Cricket Club while training with the VFL Tigers.

“It got a bit too much come February, March, and all the training was on the same night,’’ he said.

“It really didn’t work for me. There were games last season where I wasn’t needed with bat or ball so I sort of stayed in the First XI for a fair while and probably didn’t need to train too much to be honest, but I thought I’d have this season off and put everything into footy and see where that goes.

“I’m a little bit more passionate about footy now … probably hadn’t enjoyed my cricket as much in the past couple of seasons, whereas I’ve really enjoyed my footy and done everything I could to improve it.’’

From Wangaratta, Melville, a middle-order batsman and off-spinner, was a Victorian Under 15 selection and a state Under 17 and Under 19 representative after he chose to concentrate on cricket.

Playing for North East Knights, he cracked centuries in the Youth Premier League at Under 14 and then Under 16 level, marking him out as a going-places player.

Melbourne never misses a good prospect, and in his first full season with the Demons he made his First XI debut in 2016-17.

“When I was younger I had to make a decision about what I wanted to do, and cricket was my main ambition then,’’ he said.

Still, he was an accomplished footballer for Wangaratta Magpies, playing his first senior game when he was 16. No wonder the Murray Bushrangers made contact.

Melville figured in the club’s Ovens and Murray premiership under the coaching of Dean Stone in 2017, former Demon Michael Newton bagging eight goals in the victory over Albury.

He came to appreciate the flag more when grand final losses followed in 2018 and ‘19.

Kicking 31 goals in 2019, Melville came to the notice of VFL clubs.

“I had a bit of interest, mainly from Werribee to start with, then Richmond and the Northern Blues,’’ he said.

“I’m living in Caulfield so I made the decision to go to Richmond. It’s probably the team closest to me.’’

It didn’t hurt Richmond that he’s a Tigers supporter.

Melville was on the list for the 2020 season that never heard a siren.

Since then the Tigers have been forced to pull back on their VFL program due to costs.

Their list will smaller than in 2019 – but topped up by players from the Murray Bushrangers and Oakleigh Chargers – and training will be held once a week.

Some of their more experienced players have moved on, including Jacob Ballard, Hugh Beasley and Daniel Coffield, but 2019 premiership captain Steve Morris has returned.

Melville said he was out to play “as many games as possible’’ in the VFL.

“My expectations aren’t too high,’’ he said.

“It’s only my second pre-season so I haven’t been in the system too long … I’m looking to play at Richmond as much as I can and if not play as good as footy as I can for ‘Wang’.

“Being with an AFL club it’s hard to predict how many games you’ll play or where you see yourself for Round 1, but I’ll do everything I can and do everything right.’’

Melville will retain the Magpies as his home club – they have recruited former Collingwood tall Ben Reid and Abraham Ankers from the NT and brought back Stone as coach following the departure of Luke Morgan – and will train with other Melbourne-based players at Collegians.

There will be a country flavour to the VFL Tigers this year; Leongatha’s Cam Olden and Seymour pair Dylan Cook and Sam Durham have also joined the club, and Nathan Oakes, originally from Nathalia, and Angus Hicks, from Shepparton, have returned to Punt Rd.

In his first year of senior football in 2019, Olden played in Leongatha’s grand final team.

Gatha coach Paul Carbis, a former Casey VFL assistant, believes the onballer is a player to watch.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/vfl-premier-cricket-allrounder-brad-melville-links-with-richmonds-vfl-team/news-story/b5c896cb64a6a3fea01662d58ff41a75#share-tools

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1103 on: February 27, 2021, 03:21:54 AM »
A list of who is who of our VFL-listed and trial players yesterday.

Feel free to add or correct any names.

B-team:

11. VFL-lister?
12. VFL-lister?
13. Gallucci
22. VFL-lister?
26. VFL-lister?
34. VFL-lister?
35. VFL-lister?
36. VFL-lister?
37. Couroupis
38. VFL-lister?
43. Eggy
48. Josh Green

36 is VFL list Brad Melville
38 is VFL listed Nathan Oakes

I think 26 is VFL listed Cam Olden, beautiful kick of the footy
22 is Lachlan Street - played for our VFL in 2019, hasnt been listed in 2021 to my knowledge
As you stated taz, #22 is Lachlan Street

#36 is Brad Melville

#38 is Nathan Oakes

#11 is Sam Durham

BF says #26 is Garrett McDonagh

Vision of McDonagh's long goal yesterday: https://giant.gfycat.com/ReflectingFirmHarvestmen.webm

This is Cam Olden below on the left:

https://www.facebook.com/leongathafnc/posts/cam-olden-tully-bernaldo-josh-hastings-jacob-lamers-tom-vander-kolk-and-travis-n/1431644203642234/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:40:13 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1104 on: February 27, 2021, 03:23:10 AM »
Updated:

B-team:

11. Sam Durham
12. VFL-lister?
13. Jordan Gallucci
22. Lachlan Street
26. Garrett McDonagh
34. VFL-lister?
35. VFL-lister?
36. Brad Melville
37. Nick Couroupis
38. Nathan Oakes
43. Derek Eggmolesse-Smith
48. Josh Green

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #1105 on: February 27, 2021, 08:51:12 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that

Interesting VFL list build this year mainly due to Covid

In all our previous years as stand alone we have had a VFL list of 24 + in most years we have also had a VFL development list comprising a further 5 or 6 players.

For 2021 I cant find only 7 players confirmed,

Morro back as skipper +
Brad Melville   Wangaratta Magpies
Cam Olden   Leongatha Parrots
Nathan Oakes   Nathalia on list 2020, no games Covid
Angus Hicks   on VFL list 2019, broke leg in practice game
Dylan Cook   Seymour
Sam Durham   Seymour

VFL regulars such as Coffield, Beasley, Ballard, Thompson, Lambert, Grewar, Mannagh, Silvestro, Nelson have all moved on either last year or this.

Don't think we will be winning the Premiership BUT its gonna be grouse watching the likes of MRJ, Hugo, Funky , Samson, Mansell, Cumberland, Martyn, Biggy etc ply their trade in their positions without big bodies protecting them.

Cant *smile* wait

Oh & get some dollars on Coburg, they will be thereabouts this year after years of misery

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1106 on: February 27, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
Would give Cam Olden the final list spot before either of Galluci or Couroupis... :shh

They're all raving about McDonagh on BF.....not sure why...... :huh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #1107 on: February 27, 2021, 12:50:17 PM »
Would give Cam Olden the final list spot before either of Galluci or Couroupis... :shh

They're all raving about McDonagh on BF.....not sure why...... :huh

McDonagh was #26 no Cam Olden, my mistake

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1108 on: February 27, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »
26 had a nice left peg. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1109 on: March 03, 2021, 09:02:00 PM »
Former Richmond defender set for stint with local club

The Tigers’ VFL captain will be pulling on the red and white.

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com
March 3, 2021

Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League (MPNFL) Division 1 newcomers Red Hill have managed a stellar coup ahead of their 2021 campaign, with former Richmond defender Steve Morris linking up with the club.

Red Hill claimed the Division 2 premiership in 2019 before the COVID-19 pandemic delayed their promotion to the top flight, with the club giving their bid for safety a major boost with the Tigers’ VFL captain set to play in the season opener and potentially further.

Morris led Richmond to a stunning VFL Grand Final victory two years ago before going without any football duties in the same fashion as Red Hill last year.

The 32-year-old played 87 matches for Richmond between 2012-2017 and is a previous SANFL Team of the Year player and West Adelaide Best and Fairest.

Morris remains linked with the Tigers’ second-tier side, who will compete in the VFL’s new look 22-side interstate competition, set to kick-off on April 17.

Red Hill coach Jamie Mollo spoke to The Mornington Peninsula Leader’s Simon McEvoy on Morris” immediate impact ahead of the new season.

“He’s been training with us every Monday night, running our academy,” Mollo said.

“He’s going to be a great inclusion and he looks like playing round one. But we’ve just got to wait and see what Richmond say as well.”

Red Hill will get their 2021 campaign underway against Dromana on Good Friday.

https://www.zerohanger.com/former-richmond-defender-set-for-stint-with-local-club-vfl-afl-80517/