Author Topic: Mick Malthouse  (Read 1939 times)

Moi

Mick Malthouse
« on: April 27, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »
I was sitting on a bench down on the beach today, when this old bloke in a wheelchair with his dog (won't say walking his dog lol)  came up to me and, believe it or not, starting talking about footy lol.  What, do i have footy meathead written on my face or something lol.

But he was a Dees supporter and a nice old man, and we had a good old chat.  But we were talking about Micky Malthouse and how he doesn't like him for various reasons.

Made the statement that with how he was brought over here from Perth with open cheque books, new Lexus Centres, and facilities and everything that a club like the Kangas would dream of, what has he achieved. 

Me thinks Micky might be under a bit of pressure this year if the Pies have another bad year.  He got them to two grand finals with a list that i reckon was playing above themselves, so i'm wondering if ppl think he is a good coach or not.  I wouldn't have a clue, but an interesting case seeing he has the score on the board with the Eagles and those two grand finals.

The Collingwood faithful will be as patient as we are  ;) when he shows no return over quite a few years.  And really, I would be questioning what they had invested in him too if i was a Maggot supporter, but not sure I'd be so ready to give him the flick.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Mick Malthouse
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 09:53:07 PM »
I think it's a credit to his coaching abilities that he dragged such an average side into consecutive grandfinals. They had no right to be there given their level of talent.

I still think Collingwood can be a competitive side but they'll need a near full list of players to do it. That includes Buckley, Rocca and Fraser.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 08:52:32 AM »
I think Mick Malthouse deserves to face the scrutiny that other coaches in thepast have had to face. In 2004 he faced no pressure from the media because the media went after the easy targets (Schwab, Frawley, Rohde) because they knew that id they tried hard enough the 3 I've mentioned would either get sacked or they'd quit.

The Magpies Footy department should come under the mircoscope and I am not just talking about the coach but other areas like recruiting and player management. Who have they recruited (with the exception of the youngest Cloke) that has shown any "superstar"like qualities? Why do their so many of the players suffer soft tissue injuries?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:17:19 AM »
Colonwood is a paper dragon.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 02:58:58 AM »
As a coach Malthouse has done an amazing job to get two average lists at the Pies and Dogs to the final weeks of September (At the Eagles he inherited a virtual state side). He obviously knows how to motivate a group of players to perform to their max. But at the end of the day a coach lives by his recruiting which gives him the cattle on the park. IMO he struggles at this beyond the obvious top picks. Having 1/6 of your list taken up by very average Father-Sons in 3 Shaws and 3 Clokes (ok the youngest might be good) as well as recruiting discards like Morrison, Caracella and Williams are moves you would expect from Spud not a top coach. He also plays favourites so mediocre players get games when they shouldn't (yes not much of a choice at pieland  :lol).

The Pies have been competitive and injuries to Rocca and Buckley have been enough of an excuse to appease their fans and the media after 2 GFs. But I reckon if they start copping a hiding or two (hopefully to us in a couple of weeks time  :thumbsup) then the blowtorch will be turned on Malthouse and the Pies if not by the soft media then by their supporters. There's been a few on the radio already wanting Mick gone.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd