Author Topic: Who do you want in terms of trades and draft selections next year  (Read 5606 times)

10 FLAGS

Re: Who do you want in terms of trades and draft selections next year
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »
Need to nail the first 2/3 picks at least

I have doubts that we will nail any picks after our first pick.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Based on what Ramps?

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
As far as types we need 2 more quality mids, another AFL standard ruck, a tall agile big-bodied defender, a quality CHF, quality small quick footy smart forward & quality lead-up footysmart midsized forward (another Nathan Brown).

I'll be quite happy with 3 picks roughly in the top 30 including our first pick at 7 (finishing 13th on the ladder).

7. Best available 18 y.o. draftee - which will probably be another gun ballwinner/midfielder.
28. Best available 18 y.o. draftee
29. Trade to score another decent ruckman (Swans have traded late 20s picks to poach young (21-23 y.o.) and upcoming rucks from other clubs - eg: Jolly/Mumford - to be Maric's understudy). I would then look to trade our way back into the 30s then use that on another best available 18 y.o. draftee
50?: Best available 18 y.o. draftee
68?: Top state league (VFL/SANFL/WAFL) 20-something player who has the speed and acceleration to play at AFL level. Obviously no one from Coburg!
PSD pick 6 - history says possibly slim pickings here. Pass

Free agent - key tall or clever quick midsized forward. Otherwise best available.

Newy will go onto the veterans' list freeing up a senior list spot and meaning one less rookie spot.

Need 7 senior list outs ignoring trades: Connors, MacDonald, Webberley, Derickx, White, McGuane, Graham (pay out)

Rookies:
out: Miller (retire), Heslin (gone home), Wright?
2-3 rookies in.

I agree with most of what you've got but come from the other way:
Newy will go onto the veterans' list freeing up a senior list spot and meaning one less rookie spot.
Need 7 senior list outs ignoring trades: Connors, MacDonald, Webberley, Derickx, White, McGuane, Graham/Browne.
Need 3 rookies in: Miller (retire), Heslin (gone home), one of Maric or Verrier to senior list taking Newman's spot.

Free agent - key tall or clever quick midsized forward.
We may get a draft pick for one of the delists above like mcGuane or Graham
7. Best available junior - midfielder/forward.
28. Best available junior - midfielder/forward.
29. Best available junior Key forward.
50?: Mature 20's player who has the skill, speed, strength and acceleration to play KPD at AFL level.
68?: Mature 20's player who has the skill, speed, strength and acceleration to play mid/forward at AFL level.
78?. Mature 20's player who has the skill, speed, strength and acceleration to play mid/defense at AFL level.
Rookies in any order to get the best result of what's left;
Junior key forward
Junior ruck
Small forward junior or mature

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
Based on what Ramps?
Based on this-
2nd and 3rd picks over the last 10 years

2nd pick- Tim Fleming
3rd pick- Bill Nicholls

2nd pick- Thomas Roach
3rd pick- Daniel Jackson

2nd pick- Richard Tambling
3rd pick- Danny Myers

2nd pick- Cleve Hughes
3rd pick- Travis Casserly

2nd pick- Shane Edwards
3rd pick- Daniel Conners

2nd pick-  Alex Rance
3rd pick-  Dean Putt

2nd pick- Jayden Post
3rd pick-  Tom Hislop

2nd pick-  Ben Griffiths
3rd pick-  David Astbury

2nd pick-  Jack Batchelor
3rd pick-  Bradley Helbig

2nd pick-  Todd Elton
3rd pick-  Matthew Arnot

Now i know that's going a fair way back but those drafts 7,8, 9 years ago should have produced the senior players we lack at present.
The last 4 drafts, out of those eight players, this year they have about 20 games between them.
It also shows us why we haven't played finals in the last 10 years. You cannot gain ground on the teams above you with only adding one player to your team most years through the National Draft where the best kids are in the country.
Pretty sad really when you break it down.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
But what's all that got to do with this next draft?  As far as I can see the last 3 years can't be written off at all yet so I'll re-ask the question - based on what?

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
Who the stuff is Myers

the claw

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »
As far as types we need 2 more quality mids, another AFL standard ruck, a tall agile big-bodied defender, a quality CHF, quality small quick footy smart forward & quality lead-up footysmart midsized forward (another Nathan Brown).

I'll be quite happy with 3 picks roughly in the top 30 including our first pick at 7 (finishing 13th on the ladder).

7. Best available 18 y.o. draftee - which will probably be another gun ballwinner/midfielder.
28. Best available 18 y.o. draftee
29. Trade to score another decent ruckman (Swans have traded late 20s picks to poach young (21-23 y.o.) and upcoming rucks from other clubs - eg: Jolly/Mumford - to be Maric's understudy). I would then look to trade our way back into the 30s then use that on another best available 18 y.o. draftee
50?: Best available 18 y.o. draftee
68?: Top state league (VFL/SANFL/WAFL) 20-something player who has the speed and acceleration to play at AFL level. Obviously no one from Coburg!
PSD pick 6 - history says possibly slim pickings here. Pass

Free agent - key tall or clever quick midsized forward. Otherwise best available.

Need 7 senior list outs ignoring trades: Connors, MacDonald, Webberley, Derickx, White, McGuane, Graham (pay out)

Rookies:
out: Miller (retire), Heslin (gone home), Wright?
2-3 rookies in.

I agree with most of what you've got but come from the other way:
Need 7 senior list outs ignoring trades: Connors, MacDonald, Webberley, Derickx, White, McGuane, Graham/Browne.
Need 3 rookies in: Miller (retire), Heslin (gone home), one of Maric or Verrier to senior list taking Newman's spot.

Free agent - key tall or clever quick midsized forward.
We may get a draft pick for one of the delists above like mcGuane or Graham
7. Best available junior - midfielder/forward.
28. Best available junior - midfielder/forward.
29. Best available junior Key forward.
50?: Mature 20's player who has the skill, speed, strength and acceleration to play KPD at AFL level.
68?: Mature 20's player who has the skill, speed, strength and acceleration to play mid/forward at AFL level.
78?. Mature 20's player who has the skill, speed, strength and acceleration to play mid/defense at AFL level.
Rookies in any order to get the best result of what's left;
Junior key forward
Junior ruck
Small forward junior or mature
not bad at all based on a picks only scenario.

lets add a bit of cream on top here and include potential trades.did this on another thread and its a bit of wishful thinking but what the heck.

7 caddy a mid forward and a baby still. so we lose nothing with him being two yrs in the system.
28 mid forward.
29 mid forward.
50? kpf/ ruckman
68? tom lee claremont  21yo 195/95 kpd/kpf
psd brent moloney short term 29 yo who i think would add plenty.
free agency twavis cloke kpf.
free agency troy chaplin

thats 8 with newman to rookie list thats 7 from list proper.