Author Topic: How would you rate a 10 win season?  (Read 1508 times)

10 FLAGS

How would you rate a 10 win season?
« on: July 22, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »
Last year we finished with 8 wins 1 draw and 13 losses. If we got to 10 wins would you see this as an improvement or just another Richmond FC failure?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: How would you rate a 10 win season?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
Ask me in September
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
Aim for eighth best possible finish ninth
Season was over after Freo so I regard a failed yer no matter what
Truly my dear in this world a square is not round-Don Giovanni

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
9-10 wins was pretty much what I expected from us at the start of the year. I was more hoping for competitive efforts every week and especially bridging the gap on the top sides who smashed us last year and we've done that. It was always going to be a frustrating year with where our list is at. The top end of playing list has class and is elite which keeps us in games but we fall away badly as we go down towards the middle and especially the bottom. We need to add more class in all three areas - defence, midfield, forward line (which is what us pro-tankers for top 20 priority picks were advocating back in 2009-10). Today was a classic example of a side with plenty of triers but not enough class and polish to get across the line again. You can't have that many AFL-standard gimme targets missed causing turnovers. Our team has improved but we are at a crucial phase. We need another strong dip into the draft and be smart again with free agents and trades. Add another 4-6 AFL-quality footballers including another 2-3 A-graders and we'll gain the depth to be on our way.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

the claw

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »
9-10 wins was pretty much what I expected from us at the start of the year. I was more hoping for competitive efforts every week and especially bridging the gap on the top sides who smashed us last year and we've done that. It was always going to be a frustrating year with where our list is at. The top end of playing list has class and is elite which keeps us in games but we fall away badly as we go down towards the middle and especially the bottom. We need to add more class in all three areas - defence, midfield, forward line (which is what us pro-tankers for top 20 priority picks were advocating back in 2009-10). Today was a classic example of a side with plenty of triers but not enough class and polish to get across the line again. You can't have that many AFL-standard gimme targets missed causing turnovers. Our team has improved but we are at a crucial phase. We need another strong dip into the draft and be smart again with free agents and trades. Add another 4-6 AFL-quality footballers including another 2-3 A-graders and we'll gain the depth to be on our way.
agreed.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »

There you go I don't need to wait until September

What MT said

Depth was always going to be the issue, since it's been tested we've struggled. Means depth continues to be the issue

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »
If our % stays above 100 I'll consider it an improvement on last year. No blowouts thus far.

10 wins whilst not what we were looking at after round 10 was very much where many on here thought we would be at the start of the year. Having seen some of the footy we have played 10 would be a disappointment but the silver lining if there is one after our last two losses is the reality that we need to delist some cloggers and add some quality and class.

I have been doing some research tonight on our narrow losses/ wins under 20 points.

In 95 we won 8 and lost 2 including Essendon final and we had a H/A % of 107.

In 01 we had 5 and lost 0 including the Carlton final and % of 107.

This year we have so far a similar % and a record of 2 wins and 7 losses.

We won most of the close ones in the years we made the finals covering up the cracks in our list and the heavy defeats and this year we have lost most of the close ones yet have remained competitive all season and if anything our losses have shown the frailties of our list and how far back we have come in a compromised draft era to build a team given the state that Wallace left our playing list. Furthermore we need another cull to at least rid the list of players from that dark era who have managed to stay on in Dimma's three years in charge due to more urgent list amendments we needed to do initially.

What this means for me is this that in hindsight I would rather be now than live the unrealistic dream we had in 95 and 01. Sure we had some great times in those years but what's building now has far more substance and more creedence than the previous two finals campaigns. In those other campaigns we were happy to be there without thinking of a plan of staying there. This time the build is more considered,well managed and built with much stronger foundations.

What we need to see is this, after Dimma's first 9 games were 0-9. Since then 21.5 from 52. Whilst those figures aren't earth shattering and yes the results in the last two weeks are I think ten wins or even 11 take us to 25.5 from 57 almost 50%. From where we came to where we are and with Richmond fielding its own reserve side from the end of next year. The turnaround has been solid.
A fastracking year would be nice but in any event a finals series for me next year would be reward for taking the right steps at the end of 2009 and not token but a more substantial and stronger status which us the fans have been craving for so so long.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
We will win the last 6 and make the finals on 13 wins:p
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

tony_montana

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
This place will absolutely go off if we dont play finals next season. I've noticed that there seems to be an over ridding feeling that most posters think natural evolution will see us playing finals next year like its our right and are therefore quite ok with watching us flush our chances down the toilet this year. Doesnt work like that peeps, development IS  a natural progression I agree, but form isnt, form comes and goes so do key injuries. What if Ivan's form goes downhill next season? what if we get a couple of key injuries? What if the determination and steely resolve that we're on the right track (thats obviously there at this moment) waivers next season? All of a sudden we go backwards and where does that leave us? Another rebuild bc "we dont have the cattle obviously?" lol

In footy you need to take your chances even if you're not "ready" according to the blueprint. We have missed the boat this year - whatever anybody says, we HAVE been good enough this season, its just we have blown chance after chance after chance. A club like ours needs to take these chances bc the experience of playing finals a year earlier would stimulate and grow confidence and development two-fold over pre season.

Now unfortunately, the pressure will build into a frenzy for next season, MARK MY WORDS - we are one disrupted preseason and one bad start to the season away from having the supporters and more importantly the players start to waiver and lose faith that we are on the right path. We are then well and truly stuffed. There are too many mitigating circumstances that can affect a footy club year on year so when a chance comes along YOU stuffING GRAB IT!!!! Dont live in the future, live in the now ffs but yeah a bit late for that now
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:46:33 AM by tony_montana »

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 11:32:29 PM »
This place will absolutely go off if we dont play finals this season. I've noticed that there seems to be an over ridding feeling that most posters think natural evolution will see us playing finals next year like its our right and are therefore quite ok with watching us flush our chances down the toilet this year. Doesnt work like that peeps, development IS  a natural progression I agree, but form isnt, form comes and goes so do key injuries. What if Ivan's form goes downhill next season? what if we get a couple of key injuries? What if the determination and steely resolve that we're on the right track (thats obviously there at this moment) waivers next season? All of a sudden we go backwards and where does that leave us? Another rebuild bc "we dont have the cattle obviously?" lol

In footy you need to take your chances even if you're not "ready" according to the blueprint. We have missed the boat this year - whatever anybody says, we HAVE been good enough this season, its just we have blown chance after chance after chance. A club like ours needs to take these chances bc the experience of playing finals a year earlier would stimulate and grow confidence and development two-fold over pre season.

Now unfortunately, the pressure will build into a frenzy for next season, MARK MY WORDS - we are one disrupted preseason and one bad start to the season away from having the supporters and more importantly the players start to waiver and lose faith that we are on the right path. We are then well and truly stuffed. There are too many mitigating circumstances that can affect a footy club year on year so when a chance comes along YOU stuffING GRAB IT!!!! Dont live in the future, live in the now ffs but yeah a bit late for that now

Totally agree with this tony
Imagine the pressure next year on these guys to perform
Imagine if maric gets injured or has a form slump, its possible he will have a form slump next year. He has not been managed well this year due to vickerys injury all season.
Cotch, martin or lids go down?
Jack goes down?
We get a tougher draw than this year? Instead of playing your melbournes or freos twice, we play collingwood and hawks twice as well as bombs and blues. And still only play gws and gc once.

The list could go on
Last year: 8.5 wins. Should have held on st kilda game, beat port and gc. And bang 11 wins and in the 8
This year: beat at least of our close games freo and gc and bang on 9 wins and a game ahead of saints, nort freo and blues. Next year could have been 3rd year finals campaign.

Fact is: fitzroy still has more finals apperances than us in last 30 years and ffs they be gone for 16 years.
Do ppl on here just think we gonna make finals next year or year after and win a flag? September football is different again to h&* season...
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 02:52:26 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself TM

100% spot on

We blew it this year got no one to blame but ourselves

When we were cruising and injury free Miller, Jackson & co should've made way for your Brett O, and Elton types then maybe we wouldn't be in a position when your playing kids at once

Geelong played 8 kids under 30 games and still won on Friday. Crows side are how old again??

Year after year same excuses at Punt Road

It's about time the club stood up and had some balls to go after a CADDY type because nest year if Cotch goes does then we will be back here repeating the same old stuff

Think about it since Foley went down so have we it all starts in the middle

Talk and talk all you like narrow losses but they are Losses and that's how clubs are measured

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 03:46:09 AM »
Would of rather 6-9 wins with

Browne 2nd ruck

Elton chf

Arnot / Verrier given chance over jacko

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
10 wins is an improvement.
a season with no blowouts and a percentage above 100 would be a step in the right direction.

whats our biggest losing margin this year? 40 something points, rnd 1? the next was 20 odd.
how long has it been since we have been in that situation?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Tigeriffic  :gotigers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
It's about time the club stood up and had some balls to go after a CADDY type because nest year if Cotch goes does then we will be back here repeating the same old stuff

What do you mean by "if Cotch goes" daniel?

Please don't suggest to me that Cotch will leave the Club? Because that wont happen

Or are you talking about being injured?