Author Topic: How would you rate the AFL's treatment of Richmond this year?  (Read 2016 times)

Dubstep Dookie

How would you rate the AFLs treatment of Richmond this year in the areas of fixturing, umpiring and the MRP decisions when compared to other teams?

Is it really that bad? If so, is there a reason why we are given such a shocking run?

Or has it been ok and we just see things with a Richmond bias?

Hellenic Tiger

Re: How would you rate the AFL's treatment of Richmond this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »
There is only one side who under a period of success can compete in terms of membership and sponsorship with Collingwood. That is us. It's an Eddie initiative to keep us down for as long as possible. Beware the sleeping Tiger.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
FFS 30 years of getting shafted by the AFL  :banghead

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:24:43 AM »
Our draw was a shocker.How can a team that has been at bottom half for a number of years play most of the top 8 teams and top 4 teams in the first 10 rds.Compare our draw to the bombers it's a disgrace.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
I'm more concerned with the Coaches treatment of WP and his quest to throw that word into mainstream english
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
 :lol

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:56:10 AM »
Excuses excuses excuses
If we made the 8 this thread would be dead and buried

Get real
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »
Yeah Daniel, except that it's pretty hard to make the 8 when the odds are so consistently stacked against you, and that's kind of the point.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 08:26:37 AM »
I was at the game RR like I've been at every game this year and the only issue is with Jack R crying like a bitch or looking at the ump waiting for him to blow his whistle

Outside of the arsendon game unpring has had no bearing on any result this year

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »
I'm more concerned with the Coaches treatment of WP and his quest to throw that word into mainstream english

What word cocko? ;D

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »
I was at the game RR like I've been at every game this year and the only issue is with Jack R crying like a bitch or looking at the ump waiting for him to blow his whistle

Outside of the behindndon game unpring has had no bearing on any result this year

Daniel, I didn't make any reference to you going to games or otherwise. The issue is whether Richmond has been harshly treated by the AFL, and I believe we have, and not JUST over umpiring. Take the fixture: While we were playing all 8 finalists in the opening 10 rounds, North were playing teams entrenched in the bottom reaches of the ladder, and have return games against both GC ans GWS.
 Then there's the MRP: There are multiple examples of cases where we have copped rough justice, but I will cite just the most recent one. Matthew White, who is deemed  to have neither a good or bad past record by the panel (whatever the hell that meant), gets 3 weeks for bumping Frawley's shoulder with his shoulder. I have watched that footage several times, and there's no contact with the head. The same penalty that Wellingham gets for breaking Simpson's jaw!!!
 As for Jack whinging: OK, maybe he shouldn't do it. But maybe like a few Tiger players, (eg. Lids on Sunday), he is getting sick of being screwed over by the whistle blowers. Umpires need to do their jobs properly and call a free as they see it. But once again Jack was mauled all day long with no free, while the second McGuane touched Petrie it was a free. And once again, I can think of multiple games this year alone where poor and biased umpiring against Richmond had a HUGE bearing on the result. I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. 

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
Excuses excuses excuses
If we made the 8 this thread would be dead and buried

Get real
a ridiculous thread.

We are either good enough or not regardless of who we play, where we play or when we play.

It shouldn't matter even if we have the worst draw or the best draw. If the umpiring is stacked against us or we beat teams against the odds. If we win even when all is going against us, how sweet a victory.
Winning a premiership is what's important and the club should be doing everything in it's power to make it happen, there's no point crying about things out of our control.

When we are good enough and we finally can lift that cup up again it won't matter one iota what the stats are for the year.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »
'We are either good enough or not regardless of who we play, where we play or when we play.'

Quoted for the truth

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
Struth we are hard to please  ;D

People post on here that we are one of the "big" Clubs in the comp but when we get treated like one, we are getting treated harshly or unfairly. Dont think we can have it both ways

I've said a number of times regarding the fixture we put in our wish list which includes round 1 against the Blues and an early season game against the Pies, we get them and we still complain.

Last time I checked the AFL didn't force us to sell a home game to Cairns - we did that all by ourselves so we can't sook about that bit of fixturing.

Yes we played some of the top teams in the early rounds but when we played the Eagles did we have to travel? Nope - we had them here and BTW should have won that game but for some really poor decisions and skill errors (most crucial loss of the year IMHO). Outside of the Geelong venue debacle the draw in the first 7 rounds the draw wasn't as bad as people make it out to be

The easy out is to (dare I say it) look for excuses.

But when it is all said and done IMV:

1) Good teams win games, wherever they are played against whatever the oppositions, they don't worry about fixturing

2) Good Clubs don't go looking for excuses or apportioning blame they just get on with the job of winning games

As for the MRPand umpiring: ever club has reason to be critical of the farce that is the MRP and the system we operate under and as for the umpires I don't believe in blaming umpries for losses. Yes they make some howlers (Sunday being a perfect example) but to blame them for losses is a cop out

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
WP, you may notice if you read through my post that I stopped short of actually saying the umpires cost us a victory this season. What I said was that they had a huge bearing on the result, and I stand by that. I don't think it's too much for any supporter to ask to be able to go to a match and not be wondering in the back of their mind how the officiaters are going to be impacting negatively on my team on any given week. Sadly, I reckon a lot of us are in this situation though.