Author Topic: Campbell relishes new role  (Read 1329 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Campbell relishes new role
« on: May 01, 2005, 03:01:53 AM »
Campbell relishes new role
By Roger Vaughan
The Age
May 1, 2005

It's rare that an AFL footballer wants to spend match time on the interchange bench, but when you're 32 and in your last season of football, that can be an advantage.

"Everyone is a bit tired by the time you get on, so it's not too bad," said veteran Richmond midfielder Wayne Campbell.

Under coach Terry Wallace's game plan, Campbell is now coming off the bench in the first term to assist in the midfield or across half-forward.

With Kane Johnson still to return from a leg injury and Chris Hyde at least a fortnight away because of a skull fracture, Campbell will no doubt spend more time on the ball when the Tigers host Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome today.

"I've played onball a fair bit anyway in the first five weeks," he said. "I've certainly been more half-forward. It's going well. I've really, really enjoyed playing half-forward, but I like playing in the middle as well."

The former captain, who plays his 281st senior game today, reached another milestone last week when he moved to fifth on Richmond's all-time games list.

Teammate Matthew Richardson, one of the game's most exciting key forwards, plays his 200th game today. Campbell said he hoped "Richo" was given the respect he deserved, without the buts. "He's taken some of the most spectacular marks going about. I wouldn't mind hearing about that every now and again, without a little rider at the end," Campbell said. "He's been terrific, a great guy."

Port has opened its premiership defence with only one win and a draw from the first five rounds, four of them at home.

The Tigers have three wins, but received a 73-point belting from premiership fancy St Kilda in the previous round.

Given Richmond also disappointed in round one against a top-four contender when it lost badly to Geelong, it will be keen to step up against an opponent down on form but still brimming with talent.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/04/30/1114635790190.html

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: Campbell relishes new role
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:11:59 AM »
 :bow :bow

I am waiting to cop a ton of abuse for this comment BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT IF he continues like this for the entire season, Id convince him to sign for another year. A wise head who can get 15-20 possessions in a half of football with a knack for assists is hard to come by.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 12:03:26 PM »

I am waiting to cop a ton of abuse for this comment BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT IF he continues like this for the entire season, Id convince him to sign for another year. A wise head who can get 15-20 possessions in a half of football with a knack for assists is hard to come by.
i agree in part , im a cambo fan always have been, but imo, his pace is letting him down and also at times he holds on the ball to long thus his deciosion making is slowing down. imo when hyde comes back he may be the one who get dropped, as tivers has started getting it together and chaffey also! who do we drop when wer are playing so well, do we risk dropping knobel who is imo vital to our team structure, and i cant see any of the young guns being dropped while they are developing nicely and getting touches and valuable experience

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »

I wouldn't be worried in the slightest if he played on. Actually I think he deserves a chance at 300 game sbut Cambo is the one who's said it's his last year not the Club

Cambo gave us something when he went into the mid field against the Power - a bigger body and some footy smarts and I thought he was great.

On the contrary X, if reckon his decision isn't slowing down at all - in his case it is about finding the right option and in 2005 he is rarely missing a target. His footy smarts are still there
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 01:08:30 PM »

I wouldn't be worried in the slightest if he played on. Actually I think he deserves a chance at 300 game sbut Cambo is the one who's said it's his last year not the Club

Cambo gave us something when he went into the mid field against the Power - a bigger body and some footy smarts and I thought he was great.

On the contrary X, if reckon his decision isn't slowing down at all - in his case it is about finding the right option and in 2005 he is rarely missing a target. His footy smarts are still there

i know he is hitting targets and playing well , all i mean ta times when th erun was on, he would then hold it up, but i too believe and hop ehe makes it to 300, if we mak eth efinals and make th egranny and he plays every game that would make it 300 4 him, it can be done this year

Offline Cain

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 06:19:09 PM »
Time to pass the batton on at the end of the year - lets not sentimental fellas.
Another cold hard fact is that Chaffey's disposal still aint any better either.
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 07:13:34 PM »
Cambo will reach 296 games or thereabouts if he keeps playing like he is until round 22. If we pinch a final as well then he'll only need 3 games away from 300. It would be nice to let Cambo comeback for those 3-4 games then retire after his 300th but don't think Cambo given he has already said this will be his last year will want to go through another long and hard pre-season just for a few more games and I'm not sure the Club could afford from a list development POV to go one-short for most of 2006.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »
Whilst he could play on in 2006 and get the 300 game milestone, it would be very miserly of him to play that year only for a pesonal milestone.

I think he's content to finish this year and go out on his own terms. He's had a good ride.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 09:12:33 PM »
He played a few games for the Vics didn't he, so that should get him over the line for the 300 club,that would be a great achievement itself.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 09:26:03 PM »
Yeah he passed the 300 games all up milestone last year, which includes preseason matches, games for Vics, games for the Aussie squad agaisnt the Irish.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 10:15:28 AM »
Even though Campbell has slowed down leg speed wise, his hands are still one of the best on our list.  I commented to a mate that Campbell should just be played in the centre square at bounce downs.  His reading of the play and quick hands won us alot of clearances on the weekend.  He struggles when he has time and has to run, but in tight he is still one of our best.  Still very servicable and wouldn't mind if he played on.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?