Author Topic: Tommy's bored with modern footy  (Read 1255 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tommy's bored with modern footy
« on: May 03, 2005, 05:36:32 AM »
Hafey: This is boring, I'm going home
03 May 2005   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

COACHING legend Tom Hafey finds football so tedious these days, he is often looking for the nearest exit before halftime.

"I've said to my wife five minutes into the game, `Do you want to go home?' . . . and I've meant it," Hafey said yesterday.

"I've gone home in a lot of games before halftime because it's been so boring.

"I've seen some terrible games. I've seen as good a games in the country or metropolitan as what I've seen in the AFL recently."

Hafey, who coached in 522 games with Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney, is fed up with the modern possession game.

Although he did not want to criticise the Swans, under heavy fire for their game-style, 73-year-old Hafey said teams had forgotten the meaning of commonsense.

"They root around, build up pages and pages of useless statistics and then when they look like they're going to go down they go more direct," Hafey said of modern teams.

"I look at their eyes and they're looking across the field and I'm thinking `the goals are down the other end'.

"It's so elementary. Get it in long and kick to the forwards.

"It's commonsense. Look in the dictionary – the word's not there any more.

"I know I've seen some good games, but it's nearly better to watch it on TV where you don't see all that rooting around – you only see the actual screen."

Hafey is famous for taking the Sydney market by storm with free-flowing, high-scoring football from 1986-88.

Glamour full-forward Warwick Capper was the beneficiary.

"We didn't pass it to him, we kicked it to him – and he kicked 92 and 103 goals in successive years," Hafey said.

"I used to ask Royce Hart how he wanted the ball and he said just quickly . . . `I don't care if it comes out of a cannon . . . I want it quickly'.

"Who's going to outmark Fraser Gehrig or Matthew Richardson if the ball comes in quickly.

"Look at Greg Stafford – he's six foot 15 marking against Darren Gauci . . . why wouldn't you get it down there?"

Sydney forward Barry Hall has come under criticism for kicking just 16 goals in six games.

But Champion Data statistics prove he is having a hard time getting the ball in the corridor.

Just six of Hall's goals have come from straight in front of goal. The rest of his shots have been from wide out on the flanks or in the pockets, summing up Sydney's indirect style.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15159303%255E19742,00.html

Come and only watch the Tiges play then Tommy. I haven't been bored once this year  :thumbsup. It's things like Richo's pack mark, Browny's acute snaps at goal and our gang tackling where the whole crowd shouts "BALLLLLLL!" as one that make Aussie rules exciting to watch.

Good sides don't play this overpossessive chipping sideways garbage but if you want to rid the whole comp of this style then you would need to cut back on the interchange or make some of those on the bench only for substitution due to injury. The current rotations on and off the bench of midfielders allows sides to run full pelt all day. If you limited this rotation players would have to conserve energy more and so be forced to kick to more contested situations.

I would prefer no rule changes and the game just left to evolve but right now many AFL coaches don't appear to want to change even when this crap footy gives them little chance of winning.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Re: Tommy's bored with modern footy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 06:33:50 AM »
We're playing more direct this year, Tommy - come and watch us  :thumbsup

But i agree with him a bit - flooding and kicking it back and forth drives me nuts  :banghead

Ox

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:54:32 AM »
Tommy,
u gotta go woth the times a little,old man.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 08:19:10 AM »
on sunday , the 1st 40 min was a shocker to watch, but that was ports fault as tehy flooded at every opportunity, but when we broke th egame open it was spectacular to watch, if he were there he would have been proud of tw game plan and its execution

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:04:23 AM »
"Look at Greg Stafford – he's six foot 15 marking against Darren Gauci . . . why wouldn't you get it down there?"

:lol :rollin :lol ;D :lol :rollin :rollin

Priceless

Come and only watch the Tiges play then Tommy. I haven't been bored once this year :thumbsup. It's things like Richo's pack mark, Browny's acute snaps at goal and our gang tackling where the whole crowd shouts "BALLLLLLL!" as one that make Aussie rules exciting to watch.

We're playing more direct this year, Tommy - come and watch us :thumbsup

But i agree with him a bit - flooding and kicking it back and forth drives me nuts :banghead

Yes watch us Tommy - it's a new look Richmond and it is fun to go to the footy again :thumbsup

And can I add that I am glad to see the Swans copping it - even when they were winning they were awful to watch. Been saying it (read complaining about it) for 2 years.

The biggest problem with the way the Swans play isn't just the fact they play ugly footy but it is easy to stop and defeat. The chipping around if you put enough pressure on results in turnovers and with everyone of their players in one half of the ground if you get it you can move it forward pretty quickly and score at times very very easily
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:05:11 AM »
Tommy....I have been bored and sick to my stomach for the last 5 years......

JOIN THE CLUB!
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »
When Swans games have been televised on Saturday nights this year, I switch over to check the score and see what stage the game is at.  From the score, you can then tell exactly what’s going on, so I won’t even bother to stay and watch.

I think it was the Brisbane vs Swans game, the score was 13 to 11, or something ridiculous like that.  It was nearly exciting when the score was 19 to 11 in the second quarter. :help

Was bad enough watching us the last few years, without putting myself through that from some team I’m mildly interested in.  Then they stage a remarkable come back in the last quarter.  Doesn’t make sense to play boring football for 3 quarters and then when it looks like your gonna lose play attacking footy.  Why didn’t they just do that all game?  :-\
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 01:45:45 PM »
Here's what I really meant.

Memo to Coaches / Clubs

What reality are some coaches/clubs living in and what pressures are some coaches being placed under?

If you listen to the words coming out of the mouths of the “good” coaches, who have seen the ultimate success, or are destined for success, they will tell you that the greatest satisfaction they gain as a coach is in seeing their players get the best out of themselves.

That, to me, is the main reason anyone would want to coach.  And if it’s not then they’re quite possibly in the wrong caper and may hold back talent and ability that we supporters want to see, from players who deserve the right to have that opportunity.

Obviously winning games is a high priority for coaches, but why are some more successful than others?  There are many factors, but it could also be that some coaches are burdened by issues that cloud their decision making, which sees them make short-term decisions, which hurt the future of their club and players.  Instead of being allowed to focus on developing their players for the long-term, it appears that some coaches need to be mindful of sponsors, members and the very survival of their club and so are asked to coach for “today”.

Just as money seems to be the motivating factor behind every decision the AFL makes these days, so too is money the motivating factor behind the decisions and tactics of some coaches.  And if so, it’s a mystery how these coaches, and their clubs, can ever hope to become successful.  Because how can anyone coach players to win for “now” and make decisions for the short-term, yet at the same time expect long-term success?

Surely that’s an impossibility and just asking for trouble.  It therefore seems evident that some coaches, under the strain of that extra burden and pressure they carry, seem to develop a siege mentality when the losses begin to mount, as it’s then that their coaching begins to suffer.  The added burden of coaches at struggling clubs can clearly become a noose around their neck.  Especially when some seem unable to find a way out of, or around, the situation they find themselves in

If there is an imbalance of responsibility placed on coaches at some clubs, how do coaches propose that they are going to win games and bring some sort of success to their club if they aren’t able to separate themselves from any outside pressures?  And if they are unable to do so and be flexible enough to change their mindset, then how can we expect that they can do that and more for their players?  And perhaps the reason they are placed in such a situation is so that they can see where their focus needs to be.

Alarm bells should be ringing when coaches adopt a mind numbing brand of football, in order to win.  It may keep the wolves at bay for now, but it’s just delaying the inevitable.  And it could only be in a pressurised world where anyone could believe that this style can bring success and save anyone or anything.

The real negative is that these coaches can unwittingly transfer and burden their players with their own fears and limitations, which may mean they have a great many lessons to learn about coaching, before they truly understand the responsibility, and role, of a coach.

Of course, it’s far easier for someone looking at things from the outside to clearly see what’s happening.  So why doesn’t someone tell them, or is it that they don’t listen?  Whether they choose to listen or not, those coaches who fear losing the most are the ones who end up losing out – big time.  They’re not doing themselves, their players or the game any favours by adopting negative tactics to minimise scoreboard damage.  And if they think that playing defensive, grinding football is going to bring them and their club anything other than criticism then they are absolutely kidding themselves.

If a coach’s focus is always to get the best out of his players then he never needs to feel the burden of outside influences, because if his players are always given the best opportunity and best environment to be the best they can be then everything else looks after itself, as things just flow from there.  Any coach who doesn’t know that is just making life harder for himself than it needs to be.

And instead, some coaches seem to sabotage themselves by focusing on things other than getting the best out of their players.  What they don’t seem to realise is that once they concern themselves with everything but the welfare of their players, they allow outside influences to dictate their every move and decision.

I just wish some of them would stop for a moment, sit back, take a deep breath, look at the big picture and see what’s really going on, because they are doing themselves, their players and the game a great disservice by continuing on this negative tack.  And those around them are just as responsible.

The methods these coaches adopt bring them exactly what they don’t want.  And instead of coaching to be successful, they are coaching not to lose.  They might sound the same, but each requires a mindset that is in opposition to the other, because one approach requires a positive and attacking mindset and the other a defensive and negative mindset.   Fear based coaching dictates that those who coach not to lose end up losing.  If not in the short-term, they will in the long run.  Simply because they are too afraid to lose games and not brave enough to win them.

Why is increasing sponsorship, membership and crowds more important than player development?  How do you attract anyone to your club unless you have players and a style of game people want to see?  Boring people to death, by playing inane football, win or lose, won’t attract anyone but the diehards.  And why would players be motivated enough to play a style of game they don’t enjoy and doesn’t help their long-term development?  Subjected to a negative coaching style, when do players get to take responsibility and use any initiative, daring or flare they have?  Surely players are just stifled under such coaching and will soon enough resent their coach, and maybe even club, for it, consciously or otherwise.  Guaranteed.

And it’s not a case of the chicken or the egg, because if you don’t have motivated players, enjoying what they are doing then you basically have nothing.  Supporters are informed enough these days to know that it takes time to build and develop a playing list.  And because they care about the long-term future of their Club, and aren’t going anywhere, they want to see players and a style of play emerge that is exciting to watch, because it’s rewarding and inspiring to see a team develop over time.  It is when all you’ve been subjected to for a number of decades is a team and club on the road to nowhere.

When supporters know they have little chance of winning a premiership, they need something else to focus on and a reason to hope.  Watching motivated players playing exciting football gives us something to look forward to and will always draw people to the game.  How could it do anything else?

There is some amazing young talent coming into the game right now.  Confident young men with plenty of ability and attitudes to match.  To think that such talent may be stifled, because of negative coaching tactics, is enough to make my blood boil.

In my eyes, coaches have a responsibility, first and foremost, to their players.  Give them the opportunity to get more out of themselves than they believe possible and let us supporters see their talents and marvel at their deeds on a footy field.

Why does coaching need to be any more complicated than that?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.